Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 54 reply threads

• Author

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

Now it’s no secret that most of y’all think White is a bust and can’t cover blah blah blah… but watching Minter last night makes you appreciate whites playing style…his pass rush and sideline to sideline speed is unmatched so plz stop with the White is bust cuz he makes this team much better when he’s out there and the offense needs to account for him… unleash his ass next week and let’s show the Taints who we really are with a gelled team… Let’s fucking goo Bucs!!!

• Team Pteranodon

Participant

Minter had some problems, which is not to say white doesn’t also, but it seems clear enough he the backup for a reason….one thing that I usually don’t credit is that maybe his energy was missed the most, because the defense was just flat yesterday, no energy or effort was the norm it looked like to me.

• JC5100

Participant

I’m sorry but didn’t Minter cause a turnover on a blitz? If White did that you guys would have fainted.

• Natural Selection

Participant

I definitely agree our starting mlb is better than his backup. White has physical attributes that are elite and a good football motor. I don’t know I’ve seen a defender burst over short areas like he can. I hope both sides can move on from where he was picked, though that’s likely wishful thinking. I didn’t like pick at the time, and see obvious continuing limitations to his game. I also think calling him a bust/bad pick is completely unjustifiable already. If he had been taken where we selected David, I think everyone would consider him a steal similar to David. I think you could argue a better pick could have been made, but we sure af could have drafted worse there. Plus if you’re the kind of fan who’s dwelling on what we could have done a little better after winning our first playoff game in my high school children’s lifetime, you might be an asshole.

I think Minter is quality depth at the position and look forward to White taking back those snaps next week.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

I’m sorry but didn’t Minter cause a turnover on a blitz?

Wasn’t it on a tipped pass?

• theknees

Participant

So many on here really don’t get the game. White makes our entire defense better.

• Biggs3535

Participant

I definitely agree our starting mlb is better than his backup. White has physical attributes that are elite and a good football motor. I don’t know I’ve seen a defender burst over short areas like he can. I hope both sides can move on from where he was picked, though that’s likely wishful thinking. I didn’t like pick at the time, and see obvious continuing limitations to his game. I also think calling him a bust/bad pick is completely unjustifiable already. If he had been taken where we selected David, I think everyone would consider him a steal similar to David. I think you could argue a better pick could have been made, but we sure af could have drafted worse there. Plus if you’re the kind of fan who’s dwelling on what we could have done a little better after winning our first playoff game in my high school children’s lifetime, you might be an asshole.

I think Minter is quality depth at the position and look forward to White taking back those snaps next week.

Agreed. White is a physical freak that would have made more plays sideline to sideline than Minter did. However, Minter was more sound in his coverage responsibilities than White would have been. And Minter is the reason SMB had a pick.

White is more scrutinized because of where he was selected, no doubt. It’s not his fault where he was picked, but the reality is that scrutinization isn’t going anywhere until he becomes better in the area where he spends most of his time – in coverage.

• Natural Selection

Participant

Biggs, I think you know that wouldn’t have been a SMB pick only because White would have had the QB in the ground.

Minter might be more sound in responsibility but significantly less able to execute what he sees in coverage. Which has translated to almost identical overall coverage performance, imo. I do think Minter reads and fills inside runs slightly better. I think Minter does that very well, not that he’s just better than a bad White. I think White has improved there significantly from college tape. My opinion is White does look like an improving linebacker. So given his demonstrable elite physical attributes, my opinion is he will reach closer to his ceiling than I anticipated on draft day. He’s not overly instinctual, but seems intelligent and conscientious. I now expect White to become an adequate (at minimum) coverage LB because of his elite physical traits combined with what I see of his football character. Probably why I’ve swung so far in my opinion of the pick itself. That and I did not see the wreckingball blitzer in college. He’s been an absolute force this season on limited pass rush opportunities. The value he provides in some of those roles going forward is mouthwatering, imo.

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

To even try to justify Minters game by bringing up his tip pass is crazy… it’s not even close the distance between White and Minter and y’all still try to make sense of it… Minter sure is quality depth but that’s all he is and for some of you to say he should start over White is crazy.

• SunnyD

Participant

The Bucs miss White in the blitz game but I think the area where they missed him most was on QB scrambles. Minter lacks the speed to run the cut off angle and he had at least one bad missed tackle on Heinicke.

Need him back v.s. Taysom

• Ramonb

Participant

I think White is ELITE at what he does well…which is racing to a ball carrier.

• Bucman

Participant

Several plays yesterday White would’ve made that probably change the score of the game. We look slow asf on defense chasing after this athletic QBs.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Woah woah woah slow down.

You’re telling me our top 5 pick is better than a career backup?

This is binary thinking that drives me nuts.

We definitely missed White last night, especially with a mobile QB.

White is def better than Minter.

But he is also a major liability in coverage.

He has played better lately and I hope that continues… but the PHILOSOPHY of drafting an incomplete LB that high, just like an incomplete RB in the 2nd, or other bone head moves… those notions shouldn’t be dismissed.

So I’m glad to have White back next week against (presumably) New Orleans… but if Bowles is just going to drop him back in zone coverage, we are screwed.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Biggs, I think you know that wouldn’t have been a SMB pick only because White would have had the QB in the ground.

That’s possible, but not a certainty. White may have gotten the deflection as well. Regardless of what White would or wouldn’t have done, I’d rather have the turnover than the sack anyway.

• dalbuc

Participant

I think we missed White more yesterday than we will vs any other foes moving forward.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Listen here, partner…

White has zero leaks in his game. He’s the freaking epitome of perfection.

There is no criticism here in these parts.

Get on board or get out.

• TBChucky

Participant

Minter filled in decently. But I don’t think there’s any way their QB scrambles would’ve been so effective with Devin White out there. He flies to the LOS, and might’ve put their 3rd string QB in the game. Hopefully we’ll get him back next week.. Not having him was definitely felt..

• buc_boi

Participant

Oh lol.

I see some so called Bucs are still just making it up as they go along.

It’s going to be so much fun watching you squirm, trying to justify your hatred all off-season long.

OP is 100% right, and the clown brigade, per usual, is wrong.

• buc_boi

Participant

Listen here, partner…

Get on board or get out.

If only you two had this same standard for top 5 picks that are quarterbacks, double standards are fun.

• TBChucky

Participant

If you don’t think he would’ve made a HUGE difference yesterday, you’re the clown.. Those QB runs were embarrassing..

Oh lol.

It’s going to be so much fun watching you squirm, trying to justify your hatred all off-season long.

• buc_boi

Participant

If you don’t think he would’ve made a HUGE difference yesterday, you’re the clown.. Those QB runs were embarrassing..

Oh lol.

You misunderstood my sarcasm, I’m agreeing with you.

I’m the biggest Devin White fanboy around these parts

Had Devin white played yesterday the redskins would have scored 10 points, max.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

If only you two had this same standard for top 5 picks that are quarterbacks, double standards are fun.

Whatever you say, clown shoes.

Since Winston is forever living rent free in your head (along with @nobody), I’m assuming this is the direction you’re going.

Care to explain how I didn’t hold him to the same standard?

• buc_boi

Participant

Since Winston is forever living rent free in your head (along with @nobody)

Look at you, calling your daddy for help.

I’m sure reinforcements are the way, ADG. Rest easy lil fella

• buc_boi

Participant

Warms my heart to see on such a brisk day, I love me playoff some victories, no matter what the detractors say!

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

So, as usual, you got nothing.

Another day, another example of @buc_boi getting slapped around like the little, zero football acumen twat that he is.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Listen here, partner…

Get on board or get out.

Exactly.

There are homers.
      There are trolls.

Most of us are in the middle trying to be objective.

Celebrate, give criticism, hope that it all comes together and we win it all.

• TBChucky

Participant

Ok, noted. My bad. I obviously misunderstood you.

Oh lol.

You misunderstood my sarcasm, I’m agreeing with you.

I’m the biggest Devin White fanboy around these parts

Had Devin white played yesterday the redskins would have scored 10 points, max.

• Nobody

Participant

The idea that its more about personnel than it is about scheme that keeps QB Scrambles or designed runs under control is something that needs to die.

Minter vs White had nothing to do with successful QB Scrambles yesterday. If you feel it did, then the first thing you need to do is explain (a) how the below stats exist (these are the successful QB Scrambles and designed runs Weeks 1-16 when White was in) despite White being on the field and (b) explain the tape where White isn’t preventing the play:

WEEK 1 – Tayson Hill @ 1
      WEEK 3 – Driskol @ 2
      WEEK 4 – Herbert @ 2
      WEEK 6 – Rodgers @ 1
      WEEK 7 – Carr @ 2
      WEEK 8 – Jones @ 2
      WEEK 9 – Hill @ 4 (FOUR)
      WEEK 10 – Bridgwater @ 2
      WEEK 12 – Mahomes @ 3 (THREE)
      WEEK 14 – Cousins @ 5 (FIVE)
      WEEK 15 – Ryan @ 1
      WEEK 16 – Blough @ 1

26 Successful QB Scrambles or designed QB runs weeks 1-16 (and 5 of those weeks were with Vea where the number plummets…if you want a personnel signal against QB Scrambles or designed runs…there is your answer…its Vea).

Many of those were huge in losses or in keeping teams attached to us or ahead in games we should have otherwise run away with.

Its simple, if you’re playing Quarters or 2 or 3 Zone, you’ve got keys to read and a particular assignments to fulfill. You don’t get to freelance and do whatever the hell you want. So, for instance, when the mightily fleet-of-foot Kirk Cousins converts 5 plays on the ground with his feet…that doesn’t suddenly mean OMG WHITE IS A TERRIBLE ILB BECAUSE HE DIDN’T STOP KIRK COUSINS FROM CONVERTING 5 HUGE PLAYS ON THE GROUND. No, you go to the tape and you review. And you realize:

1) White was in Man against Cook and taken away from the vertical escape because of the Flat route.
      2) Although the escape was left to White’s side, he was playing Seam/Hook in 3 Zone and defending a Curl.
      3) Although the escape was vertical and White was playing Hole in 3 Zone, there was an Over route on top of him that he had to defend.
      4) Exact same as (1) above. Vertical escape and White is pulled to flat as he’s Man against Cook’s Swing route.
      5) Match Quarters and White is the ILB on Trips side of 3×2 so he has to match #3’s vert…which forces him to vacate the area where the QB Draw is going to (it basically replaces him).

NONE of these successful QB Scrambles are on White. And HE COULD DO NOTHING TO PREVENT THEM.

Its scheme. Its not personnel.

Minter didn’t play poorly yesterday at all. He played pretty damn solidly. You don’t have to admonish the solid play of other Bucs players in order to venerate your beloved (and especially don’t do it disgustingly against high-class, fantastic football players like LVD…and it looks worse here because it just underscores a deep well of lack of understanding football to do this).

This “White vs the World” obsession is looking a lot like the Winston one and man the irony is thick.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

This “White vs the World” obsession is looking a lot like the Winston one and man the irony is thick.

Funny isn’t it?

• Nobody

Participant

Funny isn’t it?

A little!

This is pretty much where my present assessment of White would be:

White is EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE in these areas: