Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 27 reply threads

• Author

• Mic

Participant

This entire postseason he grew leaps and bounds as a coverage player.

His coverage has been excellent, now add in his blitzing prowess, intimidation, and leadership, offensive players are noticeably rattled by him when he’s in their ear as the game goes on

• TBChucky

Participant

The progression he made in a short period of time was impressive! I think LVD’s tutelage definitely started to kick in, as he was a stud in the playoffs! I think we have a stud on our hands that offensive players fear!

• RW

Participant

He had a good playoffs but he is nowhere close to the best Inside LB in the NFL.

• BucBalla85

Participant

Maybe dude steps up in big moments? I think he definitely learned and grew but I’m sure that is part of it too. Dude came up big in big moments this playoffs. Loved seeing it as one of his big doubters when we drafted him.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by BucBalla85.

• JC5100

Participant

Draft pick bias. He was responsible for some big KC gains.

• garfield

Participant

What big KC gains? Eye roll, their offense did nothing all game. You just can’t admit you were wrong about it, it’s sad.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

2nd year player and he is easily in the top ten already. Congrats D. White.

If he was better in coverage he would already be a top five LB.

Build the trenches!

• Biggs3535

Participant

His coverage has been excellent

He was excellent in coverage vs. the Saints (92.3), but not GB (59.5) or KC (67.6)

For a reference point, a 65 coverage grade during the regular season for a LB would 16th out of 52 qualified players. To highlight how much better White played in the postseason, his regular season coverage grade was 39.8 – 49th out of 52 qualified players. #1 was Fred Warner with a 91.1 coverage grade – for the entire season. That’s excellent coverage.

Here’s hoping White carries those improvements into 2021 and beyond. With his other abilities, if he can just be average in coverage, I’d take that as a win.

• garfield

Participant

People are really giving a crap about alleged coverage grades in a game where KC did absolutely nothing on offense and only put up the majority of their yards on garbage time? Lol.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Good points @biggs3535

Green Bay was his only real bad outing in coverage, but that NOLA game he was absolutely outstanding.

His postseason body of work was that of a completely different player.

If he can continue that trend, oh boy…

• Donkey

Participant

Just watched a video from a few days before the SB on YouTube where Colin Cowherd list the top ten players playing in the Super Bowl so he can see which team has the most talent. His list ended up being a 5/5 tie but Devin White and several other surprises weren’t on his top 10.

• Biggs3535

Participant

People are really giving a crap about alleged coverage grades in a game where KC did absolutely nothing on offense and only put up the majority of their yards on garbage time? Lol.

Are we talking about daffodils and lilies, or are we discussing reality? Because the assertion was made that White was “excellent” in coverage in his three playoff games. The reality is he was “excellent” in one of those three games.

White gave up 7 receptions on 11 targets for 95 yards, which is 13.6 yards/reception, against the Chiefs. That isn’t “excellent” coverage. His interception, which was a very good play, is the only reason his grade wasn’t worse. Just because he made one really good play doesn’t mean you ignore the other plays that weren’t so good.

• garfield

Participant

I just have a hard time caring when the entire defense was on fire that night. If his coverage was that bad then KC is dumb for not just going at him over and again.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

Nah, the Bucs switched White with LVD to do the coverage. LVD stopped Kelce twice during the game! White got that INT at the end of the game with another Buc in the same vicinity.

I wanted White 5th overall too and his coverage in college looked good only because they didn’t want to attack him. His first year was exposed, sadly. This year was bad again, but he did improve in the playoffs. Against the Saints, Brees had no arm and made it easier for White to play coverage because there’s a limit to where Brees can throw.

All I care about is White improving his coverage skills. People forget that LVD was basically the man in his rookie year and became superman the following year.

• Biggs3535

Participant

I just have a hard time caring when the entire defense was on fire that night. If his coverage was that bad then KC is dumb for not just going at him over and again.

FWIW, White was the second-most targeted defender on the team. But with Mahomes running for his life most of the night, it’s tough to know what their actual plan was. The DL pressure was excellent, which helped the back-end look good. That’s great team defense, which doesn’t necessarily mean every individual player on defense played great. But as unit, they were great.

• GenoaBucs

Participant

Our gameplan was to let them run and pass in the short/intermediate range, and that clearly doesn’t help the LBs, especially against a monster like Travis Kelce who can beat even CBs in man coverage. Anyway, White was mainly sent to cover the RB, and he did his good job. His top skills are speed and tackle, even if sometimes takes bad angles, but nobody can negate his growth even in coverage.
      He probably will never be Fred Warner but can only get better with time.
      By the way, I hated his pick at 5, I would have taken Josh Allen, but White is one of the reason we won our second SB, so I was clearly wrong.

• buc-in-out

Participant

Cowherd and I quote on Vea “He came out Washington, he didn’t have the perfect size and dimensions and length” Is 6’4 350lbs not perfect enough?

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

Him and Warner are def the best 2 MLB’s. I’d take White we literally just witnessed flashes of Ray Lewis. If Vea can stay healthy he is going to wreck the league like some of the best to ever do it.

I was wrong about White, I wanted Allen, I’m a believer I mean how could you not be now?

• buc-in-out

Participant

Bobby Wagner, Darius Leonard, and Fred Warner are the very cream of the crop at MLB. I don’t think Devin White is far behind.

• JC5100

Participant

Kenyatta Walker was a high pick who had a nice post-season in his 2nd year during a Super Bowl run. Didnt make him John Tait.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by JC5100.

• buc-in-out

Participant

^I really don’t understand why clowns like you and jaboo actively root against our team just so you can claim that you’re right to a bunch of strangers on the internet.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

I don’t think you understand the concept of improving. You need to identify weakness(es). Either you improve or someone else can take your spot to solidify the chink in the armor.

I wanted White 5th overall and saw him as the heir apparent for LVD. I miscalculated on White’s coverage skills. I can admit that. 2019 reveals that. 2020 regular season shows that again. Once LVD retires as a Buc, then it’s all on White. Can White do that LVD does? I hope so, but we gotta see consistent improvement.

What makes White’s situation different for us Buc fans is the fact we have LVD on our roster. LVD was a 2nd round pick who was the man in his rookie year and became superman in his sophomore season with us. That’s the standard many of us have for an LB.

My question is, “Why don’t other fans want to have that standard to compare with?

Brady is a high standard. He’ll be the standard for us from now on at QB if you thought Winston was the franchise. Being an FSU fan, I wanted Winston with the Bucs. But when I watched Gruden’s camp, Gruden identified a few flaws with Winston: 1) never throws to the check-down, 2) have a favorite receiver, and 3) always thinks every route is open for his favorite receiver. I didn’t want to believe it, but it all showed in Winston’s rookie year. When your head coach commands Winston to throw to other WR’s besides Evans, then you know Winston’s flaws all existed. Remember Winston’s first pass was a pick-6. That means Winston didn’t pay attention to the defense post-snap.

We won the Super Bowl due to great team play. I want to continue being in the Super Bowl conversations from now on. White improving his coverage skills makes it so much to be in that conversation into the future.

Many of us on here adhere to nuance. Apparently, you aren’t cognizant there’s a difference between being critical and being obnoxious.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Well said, Hockey.

• JC5100

Participant

Nothing to do with rooting against the team. But the real reason the Bucs won these games and what media, announcers, analysts say the reason is are two different things.

Bucs were driven this post-season by the offensive line and secondary. White gave up big chunks with poor zone awareness, losing contain when he had it in the scheme and poor run fits because of slow processing. But he catches a pick in a hail mary-esque situation and some pundits say he should have been the MVP. It’s just bad analysis.

On Fournette’s long TD not only were the Chiefs 1. not ready 2. misaligned, but everyone didn’t just win their block, they wiped the Chiefs off the screen. But the analysis is “playoff Lenny”

• BucBit2

Participant

Fred Warner is a terrible LB he ain’t got bit 1 sack?

How many White got?

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

White might not be as sound technique wise as Warner or Leonard (not yet at least) but one thing he has that they don’t is Ray Lewis like intangibles.

He was the baddest dude on the field for 3 straight post season games, at age 22 lmao. That is absurd.

Please let me know when Warner or Leonard do something like that. Thanks.

• Mic

Participant

That right there is why he’s the best other teams fear him, he gets in the their heads and throws off their game

• SOXX

Participant

Wow we got the best 2 ILBs in the game they will be All Pro every year after these playoffs and the Super Bowl. They are raving about Devin White and Lavonte David.

• Swash

Participant

If you don’t think toward the end of the 3rd quarter, and the 4th the Bucs were ok with giving up some first downs to let Kansas City work that clock, then you don’t know very much about football. Y’all call look at your statistics all you want, I go with my eyes, and that boy White is a baller.

• m_j

Participant

I remember one thing when we drafted devin, derrick said it was great draft choice!

seems he knows something about that position ;-)

• FireLicht2020

Participant

There are different types of MLBs… skillset and design in a defense.

White is a downhill LB that excels in stunts and disruption at the line. Elite speed and talent. He has room to grow in coverage but certainly improved.

Leonard and Warner are better in coverage and at the 2nd level.

White isn’t elite yet but his upside potential is higher than the aforementioned two.

It’s OK to be objective, identify weaknesses, celebrate progress, and expect more.

White was 10x better 2nd half of the season. I think we can all agree on that

• m_j

Participant

hebis not the best but he has huge upside! he was much better in the second part of the season, but he was huge in the playoffs. that‘s gonna give him a boost! as long as lavonte plays we‘re more than good on LBs

• FireLicht2020

Participant

I was one of his biggest detractors and I am THRILLED to eat crow on this.

I still expect him to get better in coverage… with his LOS skillset, simply being above average in coverage will be good enough for me.

He isn’t there yet

• buc_boi

Participant