Viewing 22 reply threads

• Author

• CalicoJackLV

Participant

I don’t put a lot of stock in quarterback pressers, but… this raised a question…

According to NFL Network's Mike Mayock, NFL teams have concerns about Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater's inability to throw the ball with arm strength and accuracy at his Pro Day, and questions about whether Bridgewater would make for an effective "face of a franchise.""I'm hearing a heck of a lot more second-round grades than first-round grades," Mayock said of Bridgewater. "What I'm hearing is two things. Number one, when we saw him throw live we didn't see arm strength and didn't see accuracy. Number two, when you draft a quarterback in the first round you expect him to be the face of your franchise. ... I think people had some concerns about whether or not this young man is ready to step up and be the face of a franchise." Bridgewater seems headed for a Geno Smith-like tumble into day two.Source: NFL.com

Does it factor into how high he gets picked?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No and no IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s funny cause I am not privy to inside information or interviews, but my reasoning behind not wanting Teddy has always been because I think he is timid and has the emotional maturity of a teenager rather than a man. He reminds me of Freeman in that sense and I don’t want to go that route again. Seems like I am not the only who has seen it. What's really funny is to go on twitter and say something bad about Teddy right now. All the scouts and talking heads act like you just slapped their grandmother if you say anything negative about Teddy. There is this giant movement of young "experts" on twitter that are so worried that Teddy will be drafted outside of the 1st round and never be great and then everyone will see them all for the sheep that they are....that they have banded together and are ganging up on anyone who doesn't love Teddy. It's like a cliche from high school. Hilarious. Matt Miller from Bleacher Report is like one of the lead dogs. Go tweet him something negative about Bridgewater and watch what happens.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I just don’t get it as consequential to his draft stock.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I just don't get it as consequential to his draft stock.

Well Freeman ended up curling up into the fetal position and self medicating because he has anxiety problems and couldn't deal with the pressures....so I think that is a real danger. If you take a QB that needs to be coddled in the 1st round, you have to wonder how he is going to react to the scrutiny from the press and the fans when things are bad. I personally think Bridgewater is the type to put up a wall and shut down. Maybe I am wrong, but it is a concern because if I am right it is a huge problem. Nobody wants Ryan Leaf 2.0

Please wait…

• stonecoldbucsfan

Participant

Some people just have the personality they don’t feel comfortable talking to the press/new people, but could never get nervous with something they are comfortable with (football to relate to this case). Let’s hope Bridgewater is this way.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Predraft freeman would run around you, through you, or throw the ball over you 60 yards downfield. “AD” Freeman however, might ask you for some rolls.Teddy passes all over the place, runs conservatively, and is pretty accurate.Now whether or not they share any physical traits is inconsequential. The comparisons start and stop with their brain. Both have that "cool" demeanor, but also seem to be "slow."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have no idea where anyone gets this timid stuff from. Every report pre-stupid season was great leadership. Guy played hurt.  Nobody questioned this. I’m not even sure what face of the franchise means, do they not think he can do press conferences? Does he not look pretty on a billboard?  In terms of not embarrassing the franchise I think he’d rate higher than dorks like Cutler or Roth.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What does that have to do with Freeman other than them both being black?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Has nothing to do with his skin.  He wasn't a polished public speaker.5248223_320X240.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's funny cause I am not privy to inside information or interviews, but my reasoning behind not wanting Teddy has always been because I think he is timid and has the emotional maturity of a teenager rather than a man. He reminds me of Freeman in that sense and I don't want to go that route again. Seems like I am not the only who has seen it. What's really funny is to go on twitter and say something bad about Teddy right now. All the scouts and talking heads act like you just slapped their grandmother if you say anything negative about Teddy. There is this giant movement of young "experts" on twitter that are so worried that Teddy will be drafted outside of the 1st round and never be great and then everyone will see them all for the sheep that they are....that they have banded together and are ganging up on anyone who doesn't love Teddy. It's like a cliche from high school. Hilarious. Matt Miller from Bleacher Report is like one of the lead dogs. Go tweet him something negative about Bridgewater and watch what happens.

I've seen that twitter phenomenon as well, but I don't really agree with your analysis of it. I think the reason for it is they view a lot of the criticism as totally off-base. Take the "hands are too small" meme. Well if so, then you can rule out a lot of current pros and most of the draft class. How about the claim by Mortenson that he was doing a terrible job at all the private workouts, when he had gone through a single private workout? You have people - not just the young turk draft guys - who have followed Bridgewater's career (some of them as far back as HS) and called the leadership stuff a joke. I think they are frustrated - and it's not just the young "experts" - that with a few exceptions (frame, deep ball), very few of the criticisms are concrete - they are mostly vague.  The other day on the CFB 24-7 podcast, Bucky Brooks pointed out that he keeps asking guys dinging Teddy what tape he should watch to see all these negatives, and never gets an answer. Brooks wouldn't mention him by name, but he was pretty critical of Mayock moving him to 5 on the QB board. He said in the real scouting world, that tape is at least 75% of the deal, and positional ranks really don't move very far. Note that Licht said yesterday that their own QB ratings haven't moved since February. Heck, even Mayock admits that he would "bang the table" based on the film. He's docking him 4 spots on a workout? To me, the HS cliche is this "face of the franchise nonsense." That's how guys like Mark "Alpha Dog" Sanchez gets over-drafted. For the record, I think Bridgewater is going to be a good QB, but not necessarily for every team in the league. I think that besides his frame, there is a ton to like about him, and he's the most pro-ready QB to me (and second place isn't very close in my opinion).

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Has nothing to do with his skin.  He wasn't a polished public speaker.{/quote]are you frigging high?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You are so desparate for attention that have to use "Freeman" in your thread title?...His name didn't come up once in the article...

I asked a question.  I'll ask another...  Was Freeman a good "face of the Bucs franchise"?...and I'll go back to the original... Does that matter when looking at Bridgewater?I've yet to see a good reason why it would.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think they are frustrated - and it's not just the young "experts" - that with a few exceptions (frame, deep ball), very few of the criticisms are concrete - they are mostly vague.  The other day on the CFB 24-7 podcast, Bucky Brooks pointed out that he keeps asking guys dinging Teddy what tape he should watch to see all these negatives, and never gets an answer. Brooks wouldn't mention him by name, but he was pretty critical of Mayock moving him to 5 on the QB board. He said in the real scouting world, that tape is at least 75% of the deal, and positional ranks really don't move very far. Note that Licht said yesterday that their own QB ratings haven't moved since February.

I've asked the same question, too, what does Bridgewater specifically do that means he likely won't be a top NFL QB and haven't seen much evidence presented, but I'd counter did we ever hear what was so "wrong" with Brady Quinn or other QBs much of the amateur community thought would be picked high and then slid? Evaluating QBs is a little bit black magic. It's hard to explain why the good ones and good and the not good ones are not good. It's a lot easier to say an offensive tackle doesn't have quick enough feet to mirror speed rushers or a defensive tackle doesn't play with enough bend to get underneath the guards pads. With QBs you either have it or you don't.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think teddy is a very good qb physically.However, if there were an "expert" in here on body language or speech, I doubt they're a fan of teddys. He's either timid, or slow, and either one of those issues could really screw a qb up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think teddy is a very good qb physically.However, if there were an "expert" in here on body language or speech, I doubt they're a fan of teddys. He's either timid, or slow, and either one of those issues could really screw a qb up.

I'd worry more about TB for the reasons you state IF I hadn't seen him at least twice on tv turn into a completely different person when talking about football x and o's.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“Did Freeman hurt Teddy”??Did Freeman go all Jameis and roofie Teddy?..must have liked what he saw this night...1365778200.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think they are frustrated - and it's not just the young "experts" - that with a few exceptions (frame, deep ball), very few of the criticisms are concrete - they are mostly vague.  The other day on the CFB 24-7 podcast, Bucky Brooks pointed out that he keeps asking guys dinging Teddy what tape he should watch to see all these negatives, and never gets an answer. Brooks wouldn't mention him by name, but he was pretty critical of Mayock moving him to 5 on the QB board. He said in the real scouting world, that tape is at least 75% of the deal, and positional ranks really don't move very far. Note that Licht said yesterday that their own QB ratings haven't moved since February.

I've asked the same question, too, what does Bridgewater specifically do that means he likely won't be a top NFL QB and haven't seen much evidence presented, but I'd counter did we ever hear what was so "wrong" with Brady Quinn or other QBs much of the amateur community thought would be picked high and then slid? Evaluating QBs is a little bit black magic. It's hard to explain why the good ones and good and the not good ones are not good. It's a lot easier to say an offensive tackle doesn't have quick enough feet to mirror speed rushers or a defensive tackle doesn't play with enough bend to get underneath the guards pads. With QBs you either have it or you don't.

I think you make some decent points. It is a bit "black magic."  With regard to Quinn, I think you'd see a different analysis by the armchair draft guys today. He did have some flaws that people talked about - slow to make reads, accuracy pumped up by short throws. My recollection was that he was pumped up mostly by mainstream guys (Lenny P, Peter King, Kiper, McShay). I think he checked a lot of boxes for people - QB of a storied program (remember the age of a lot of the mainstream guys), coached by Charlie Weis when he was still seen as the genius who made Brady, "looks the part," etc.  Mayock actually nailed it, calling him a late first rounder (and remember, he's one of the few main-stream guys who watches tape).But take the accuracy thing for example - there's a quote from Lombardi out there that talks about the throws he had success with v. those he failed with. 7 years ago how many draftniks are doing game-charting? You can find it all over the place now, and if you can't you can do it yourself using draft breakdown.  Back then it was mostly highlights on youtube. But scouts do that all the time - Russ Lande, Lombardi talk a lot about "adjusted accuracy." Lande looks at throws at various distances, adjusts for drops, throw-aways, hit while throwing etc. and then weighs them next to what throws are made in the NFL. Guess what? He wasn't a fan of Quinn - he was the least accurate QB over 10 yards and the least accurate overall (based on his weighting) in that draft. And guess what - Quinn wasn't accurate in the pros either.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All in all – I see Teddy very akin to Josh McCown.I think that is a GOOD thing and would have LnLnT partial to the young man.But I don't know a damned thing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Booker Reese preaching right now.Agreed on all accounts and would be thrilled to have Teddy in Tampa.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All in all - I see Teddy very akin to Josh McCown.

a 12 year journeyman?  kewl.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just saw Teddy on some ESPN show.  Did well enough to make total nonsense of Mayock’s report

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All in all - I see Teddy very akin to Josh McCown.

a 12 year journeyman?  kewl.

Thread is about personality...  At least my post was.

Please wait…

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.