Viewing 26 reply threads

• Author

• moose40

Participant

Just curious, I believe I read somewhere last week that Lovie took over play calling on the D side during practice. If he took over playcalling, and called the plays last night, is it coincidence that the defense looked more prepared, or at least in the right positions to stop Dalton?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes.Lovie is known to dial up blitzes and play more cover three.  The only time you will see a cover 2 shell is probably in a 2 minute period where an offense is going no huddle.  Beyond that teams are no longer going to see vanilla cover 2 shell that much.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes.Lovie is known to dial up blitzes and play more cover three.  The only time you will see a cover 2 shell is probably in a 2 minute period where an offense is going no huddle.  Beyond that teams are no longer going to see vanilla cover 2 shell that much.

God I so want this to be true. Please let it be!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Safety and MLB play were huge weaknesses last year. I think Lovie might have finally found the guys he was looking for to make his system click. Could be interesting. Really wish we had a more consistent pass rush though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I've been a very harsh critic of Lovie (bad offense, 1 playoff appearance in his last 8 years, including one on the couch, things like that do not impress me much). But if he truly keeps his hands out of the offensive cookie jar, and calls defensive performances like this, (yes I know not all games work out like this, especially when they really count) I might become very happy he's here.It truly felt like we were in control of that game from the get go. All the way through that game, didn't matter if starters/backups, we simply were more prepared. --Totally different feeling then any feeling I've had since probably before Gruden got fired. It was nice to finally watch what this team may be capable of

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

I think Clearwater high needs a football coach give them a call Leslie.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Losing Goldshon, Barron and Foster is really addition by subtraction.  Defense looked improved when Barron and Golshon were not on the field and Foster wasn’t cut out to be a MIKE for this defense.When you have Kwon Alexander that can fly sideline to sideline and letting Lavonte David blanket any holes it is much easier for the safties to come up and clean up.  Makes the defense almost suffocating against opposing offenses.Players are hitting gaps now and not out of position which also helps.

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

Losing Goldshon, Barron and Foster is really addition by subtraction.  Defense looked improved when Barron and Golshon were not on the field and Foster wasn't cut out to be a MIKE for this defense.When you have Kwon Alexander that can fly sideline to sideline and letting Lavonte David blanket any holes it is much easier for the safties to come up and clean up.  Makes the defense almost suffocating against opposing offenses.Players are hitting gaps now and not out of position which also helps.

Agree with all that and I would add I hope they find a spot for danny.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Losing Goldshon, Barron and Foster is really addition by subtraction.  Defense looked improved when Barron and Golshon were not on the field and Foster wasn't cut out to be a MIKE for this defense.When you have Kwon Alexander that can fly sideline to sideline and letting Lavonte David blanket any holes it is much easier for the safties to come up and clean up.  Makes the defense almost suffocating against opposing offenses.Players are hitting gaps now and not out of position which also helps.

Alexander appears to be the real deal, I know it's early but he seems better suited for this spot then even a quality guy like Quarles. I hate to say it, but it almost seems like we have a shot for Nickerson to mold Alexander into a version of Hardware. If Alexander can play like Nickerson did, and LD plays like #55, wow.... Sorry, I'm getting too giddy over one preseason game.It just seems that the defense last night was even better then last week. I know everyone says "takes a year to get the scheme down", but it almost seems night and day from last week to this week.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Safety and MLB play were huge weaknesses last year. I think Lovie might have finally found the guys he was looking for to make his system click. Could be interesting. Really wish we had a more consistent pass rush though.

Kwon was a steal. Swearinger was a steal. Melton was good for the D-line. As were the other additions, regarding DTs. Even George Johnson was a decent sign, but it just isn't enough, consistently, IMO. He is what he is. Bucs lack of talent at the DE position is worrisome...the bullets are blanks right now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yep, I mentioned this in another thread. Lovie calling the shots on D seemed to make a huge difference yesterday. It definitely looked like we showed more looks and threw some different blitz packages at them. I think it's about time for Frazier to take a hike. Warhop too, for that matter.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yep, I mentioned this in another thread. Lovie calling the shots on D seemed to make a huge difference yesterday. It definitely looked like we showed more looks and threw some different blitz packages at them. I think it's about time for Frazier to take a hike. Warhop too, for that matter.

I agree, it sure looked like a night and day difference out there. Maybe Leslie gets relegated to the booth as an extra set of eyes for Lovie.... but after watching Leslie suck eggs last year and last week as DC, maybe we're better off saying bye bye Leslie.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I seem to remember reading a knock on Leslie’s tenure at Minnesota. He rarely blitzed. God this D looked nite and day different. Hope it keeps up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree, it sure looked like a night and day difference out there. Maybe Leslie gets relegated to the booth as an extra set of eyes for Lovie.... but after watching Leslie suck eggs last year and last week as DC, maybe we're better off saying bye bye Leslie.

I agree and think he'll serve as an extra set of eyes in the booth this year, probably will be gone after that. I remember reading Vikings fans complaining about Lezlie's defense being too vanilla without much blitzing and sticking to strictly cover 2 and that's exactly what we saw last year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kwon was a steal. Swearinger was a steal. Melton was good for the D-line. As were the other additions, regarding DTs. Even George Johnson was a decent sign, but it just isn't enough, consistently, IMO. He is what he is. Bucs lack of talent at the DE position is worrisome...the bullets are blanks right now.

Cant fix everything in one off-season.  Our only real options in adding DE talent was to add questionable character issues to our team.  I am glad we didnt go that route.  Besides...I am far less concerned with our DEs compared to our OL.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I've been a very harsh critic of Lovie (bad offense, 1 playoff appearance in his last 8 years, including one on the couch, things like that do not impress me much). But if he truly keeps his hands out of the offensive cookie jar, and calls defensive performances like this, (yes I know not all games work out like this, especially when they really count) I might become very happy he's here.It truly felt like we were in control of that game from the get go. All the way through that game, didn't matter if starters/backups, we simply were more prepared. --Totally different feeling then any feeling I've had since probably before Gruden got fired. It was nice to finally watch what this team may be capable of

one thing that shouldn't happen is we should not fall behind immediately like we did so often (it seemed) before.  That one change makes a big difference because you can keep running and the other team isn't running at you, among many other things.I don't know how often we were behind last year, but I think Gruden made a comment last night that McCoy's sack number last year was all the more impressive because we were rarely playing with a lead.  Add to that Winston's supposed penchant for 4th quarter play and if we can just get good starts like last night we should be in decent shape

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Final cuts Bucs will have first dibs on a quality DE.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

George Johnson was playing his ass off.. Lets see what happens…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Frazier was relegated to the booth last year after the first Falcons game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just curious, I believe I read somewhere last week that Lovie took over play calling on the D side during practice. If he took over playcalling, and called the plays last night, is it coincidence that the defense looked more prepared, or at least in the right positions to stop Dalton?

You believe you read somewhere? I don't know, maybe here?https://www.pewterreport.com/articles/smith-vague-on-if-he-has-taken-over-defensive-play-calling-from-frazier/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bucs can win the NFCS this year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So MC, would you attribute last night's defensive performance to a emotion (first home game), a few better players, and just more experience in the system?one thing that seems much different is we seem better on 3rd downs? maybe the stats don't back that up, but it seemed like we were getting stops

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

this was reported last season?  seemed like it was news this preseason.  i must have missed it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You believe you read somewhere? I don't know, maybe here?https://www.pewterreport.com/articles/smith-vague-on-if-he-has-taken-over-defensive-play-calling-from-frazier/

I only read unbiased articles MC. :)All kidding aside, I have to give credit where credit is due since I'm being called out (sort of). It was from Calico Jack's thread:https://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php/topic,1326030.0.htmlI honestly missed the one you linked. I'll read the story. Thanks for the extra info MC.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I only read unbiased articles MC. :)All kidding aside, I have to give credit where credit is due since I'm being called out (sort of). It was from Calico Jack's thread:https://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php/topic,1326030.0.htmlI honestly missed the one you linked. I'll read the story. Thanks for the extra info MC.

Haha! Just kidding with you.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So MC, would you attribute last night's defensive performance to a emotion (first home game), a few better players, and just more experience in the system?one thing that seems much different is we seem better on 3rd downs? maybe the stats don't back that up, but it seemed like we were getting stops

Maybe a little of all those things. I think Lovie will make the defense better with his play calling and being more involved, but to me the upgrade at linebacker will pay big dividends this season. David, Alexander, Carter vs. David, Foster, Casillas (with a sprinkle of Dane Fletcher). And another year in the system should also help as well. I don't know they have Top 10 talent, but if they stay relatively healthy then Top 15 isn't out of the question at all.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

this was reported last season?  seemed like it was news this preseason.  i must have missed it.

not sure it was reported last season, but I think it was Stroud who wrote that Frazier went upstairs after that Falcons game but continued to make the calls. Not long after the season ended, and Koetter was in place, I believe is when Lovie made the decision.

Please wait…

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.