Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 10 reply threads

• Author

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

Above average offensive coordinator. Lousy head coach.

• kenntak

Participant

He was a skilled OC. I am sad to see him retire.

• buc_boi

Participant

You’re crazy, dude was aces.

An offensive genius, and a wonderful human being.

Take care Mr. Koetter, and thank you for your part in helping build our championship caliber roster.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

@buc_boi wrote:

Take care Mr. Koetter, and thank you for your part in helping build our championship caliber roster.

Koetter ranted to GM Licht about getting TE Brate back in 2015 after waiving him and the Saints picked him up only to waive him later. Crazy that Licht did not know talent.

Brate and slot WR Humphries developed under Koetter.

It was Koetter who decided to go from a standard offense to a Vertical offense (Vert-4) in 2017. In that offseason, the Bucs grabbed WR Djax (I was expecting a tall WR like another Vjax, not a short, speedster like Djax) in FA, Drafted TE OJ Howard and WR Godwin, and signed UDFA TE Auclair.

Under Koetter, we drafted DT Vea, who fits Mike Smith’s defense the best.

Because we’re a vertical offense with so much receiving talent, Arians didn’t have much to change in offensive personnel because he runs a vertical offense, but implemented differently (doesn’t like layering nor using TE’s often). It’s that same personnel on offense is what attracted Brady to come here.

Licht came to find out the problem with the vertical offense was QB Winston, as he failed both Koetter and Arians.

I do feel terrible for Koetter because Licht never addressed the OLine properly under Koetter’s tenure save 2015. That’s the last time we had a great run game because we had great OG’s in Mankins and rookie Marpet.

Here’s what I’ll remember most about Koetter is his expectations of Winston during an HBO Hardknocks clip. You can see Koetter doesn’t want to cut off Winston’s creativity, but wants Winston to understand he needs rein in his riskiness.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Curious how many bucs fans would prefer him to be our OC over BL.

• kenntak

Participant

I certainly would prefer Koetter and his experience.

• seekpar

Participant

Byron Leftwich shouldn’t be a head coach in this league. Name me 5 good reasons why he’d be a good candidate for a head coaching job. Yeah, that’s what I thought…

• seekpar

Participant

BTW I wish Dirk nothing but happiness in his retirement!

• RudeGuy

Participant

Alert Falcons Fans: Check your local Goodwill store for some great Falcons coaches gear.

• jcaulfield8

Participant

Dude was an awful head coach. hiring his buddy for the DC position and keeping him 18 months too long was his downfall. as was his lack of running game and poor team preparation for the start of games.
      Thank him his time and wish him nothing but the best, but i was glad to see him move on from here.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

@jcaulfield8 wrote:

Dude was an awful head coach. hiring his buddy for the DC position and keeping him 18 months too long was his downfall. as was his lack of running game and poor team preparation for the start of games.
        Thank him his time and wish him nothing but the best, but i was glad to see him move on from here.

Odd. He had us at 9-7, losing a tie breaker to the Lions in 2016 because Winston couldn’t hit a wide open Vjax for a game winning TD against the Rams.

Licht’s 2016 draft:

Rd 1. CB VH3
          Rd 2. OLB Spence (we’re a 4-3 defense)
          Rd 2. K Aguayo
          Rd 4. CB Ryan Smith

In 2017, Koetter brought in the vertical offense and a slew of talent. Winston couldn’t run the vertical offense. CB VH3 was demoted to slot CB. K Aguayo was released.

In 2018, we needed a starting RG and Licht waited until the bottom of the 3rd round for Cappa. Our Oline was exploited after game 3. Winston still couldn’t figure out how to play in a vertical offense. Vea was injured in pre-season, stalling his game until he was paired with GMC for the last six games of the season.

Licht’s 2018 draft

Rd 1. DT Vea
          Rd 2. RB Jones (didn’t explode until year 3)
          Rd 2. CB MJ Stewart (dropped after year 2)
          Rd 2. DB Davis
          Rd 3. OT Cappa (didn’t get to average until year 3)
          Rd 4. S Whitehead

In 2019, Arians is vertical offensive coach too. Winston couldn’t figure that out too, becoming the first 30TD-30INT club member. We finished 7-9 with a weak schedule.

It took another year of drafting (S AWJ was a hit, but OT Wirfs was a lil’ better than old man Dotson) plus GOAT QB Brady to make us into winners. Brady brought along TE Gronk and WR AB. Remove Brady, Gronk, and AB, and we wouldn’t be in the NFC conference playoff game.

It sucks that people lack historical depth and logic when making comments. It’s apparent the what the common factor of suck was… Winston and Licht’s decision making.

• BucsFan83

Participant

Wish him the best. Good offensive mind, meh head coach. I’d pick him up as OC over BL easily.

• Tampa Bay Todd

Participant

Good luck to him in his retirement. Got stuck with Winston as quarterback which hurt a lot. How many times did Dirk tell Jameis you don’t have to be the reason we win, but you sure can be the reason we lose? Good offensive play caller just too loyal to Mike Smith.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.