Viewing 8 reply threads

• Author

• Dy-nasty D

Participant

Is there any real data to support this idea? Do they statistically have longer NFL careers? And, does a prospect really improve his chances of not getting injured by putting on 10-20 pounds?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Idk.  Plenty if example of small guys having long heslthy careers and just the opposite can be said as well.  All depends on the player I guess.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think it depends a lot on how they play.  Warrick Dunn was a smaller guy but he was so quick he almost never took a full hit.  Desean Jackson is a smaller guy, but he too is very good at seldom putting himself in a position to get smacked.  Same with Wes Welker.  To answer your question though- if put in a situation to take repeated hits and abuse yes a larger player will generally be more durable.That is the biggest reason Manziel's size is a concern to people.  It has been proven a player doesn't have to be a giant to play QB, but Manziel's playstyle leads himself to taking a lot of hits and many feel he isn't big enough to absorb them at the next level.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think with QBs the data about being light is pretty solid, or was a few years back, on how it adversely affects your ability to stay upright. I think 215 was the magic number there. For any other spot, no it is hard to say because how guys play at the same spot is very different – think the difference between Brooks an OLB and Ware also an OLB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

RGIII will never be the same again.  I dont care what anybody tells you.  He’s an example of a slight scrambling QB with ELITE speed that has fallen to injuries.  Since he’s been out of the clink, Mike Vick has yet to play a full season of football.  Smallish.  Pass and read defenses first is always going to be the recipe for long-term success in the league.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The biggest problem is that Danny Amendola skews all the data.  That dude is made of glass.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

With the new rules I think it’s more likely for a big guy to get hurt. Gronk is a good example, defensive backs mostly go for the knee.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Vick is relatively short for a QB at 6’1″ but the dude is a good 220-225. 

Please wait…

• stonecoldbucsfan

Participant

Most players are built pretty well in the NFL today. I doubt you can correlate the injuries really to size but more of being unlucky or a player’s decisions on the field.

Please wait…

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.