Viewing 16 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

2014 Depth Chart: Tampa Bay BuccaneersProFootballFocus.comGordon McGuinness | June 20, 2014 depth_zps42b8efdf.gifdepth1_zps08aefd0f.gifdepth2_zpsb1db26c9.gifdepth3_zps227d9d9c.gif •  One of the toughest decisions on this roster was where to slot running back Doug Martin. If we were going strictly off his 2013 season we’d be restricting ourselves to just 317 fairly unimpressive snaps. His 2012 season was much more impressive, however, and worthy of a high quality rating. So in the end the fairest decision seemed to be to meet in the middle, leaving him as a good starter heading into 2014. We know he has the capability to be more than that, but the start of the 2013 season before his injury just leaves that little bit of doubt. •  Michael Johnson is a player I expect many will feel we should have higher, and I think it really boils down to what you look for in a defensive end. Johnson excels against the run, but he’s a little too inconsistent as a pass rusher, keeping him just shy of high quality for the time being. •  Tampa Bay has two elite players on their roster and neither were a difficult decision when it came to deciding what level to have each player at. Both Gerald McCoy and Lavonte David are not only amongst the best players at their position, but the best in the entire league. There’s good reason that they were fourth and fifth in the PFF Top 101 list this year and give the Buccaneers an excellent base to build from in years to come. Roster Battles 1.  Running Back A fully healthy Martin will be their lead back in 2014, but how will the carries behind him be split up? We saw both Bobby Rainey and Mike James have big games after Martin went down last year, with James’ performance against the Seattle Seahawks and Rainey’s against the Atlanta Falcons both eye-opening showings. Then you add rookie Charles Sims into the mix and suddenly there doesn’t look to be enough carries to go around. Based on last year, James should be the favorite to be Martin’s top backup, as he showed a little more consistency with his play before his own injury. 2.  Tight End Obviously a big priority for the Buccaneers this offseason, they picked up tight end Brandon Myers in free agency, before drafting Austin Seferian-Jenkins with their second round pick. Myers figures to be their top tight end in 2014, but the rookie will be expected to compete with Timothy Wright for snaps behind and alongside him. Both are big targets for quarterback Josh McCown, something he had success with in Chicago last year. 3.  Right Guard It came as a surprise to many, including myself, to read that the untested Patrick Omameh was leading the race to be the Buccaneers’ starting right guard. His competition right now is Jamon Meredith and, while the former South Carolina Gamecock started on the offensive line in the second half of the 2013 season, he was largely disappointing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have a few problems with this chart. While I know that PFF watches every game and assigns grades, I’d like to know if the categories are actually reflective of those numbers or if this is just an opinion piece.Here is the guys that I disagree with:Bobby Rainey: [Not enough information]. I think Rainey had enough play last season that he should not be in this category. If Mike James is considered an Average Starter, I would certainly consider Bobby to be that or at worse Below Average starter.Adrain Clayborn: [Poor Starter] Clayborn hasn't been a star, but he plays better than poor in my opinion. Again, he had a lot of tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks. If that gets you a 'poor' rating then there are a lot of poorly rated DE's in the league. At worse he should be listed as Below Average.Mason Foster: [Below Average] I almost didn't list Mason, but he had a pretty decent year last year, stat-wise. Foster deserves an Average rating at least.Leonard Johnson: We don't differ on the rating, but DJ Moore is going to be the starter with possibly Danny Gorrer in the mix. Moore isn't even listed. If you go off his last full season, he should be listed at least Average.Major Wright: It's unfair to hold a injury season over a guy. When Wright has played a full season, he's been at least an Average defender.Finally, Clinton McDonald is the starter DRT not Spence.As to the rest and their position on the depth chart, we can argue a bit about who's 2nd and 3rd string, but the categories are mostly fair or at least I don't have a major problem with them. There are more than one label that needs to be placed on players though, some played last season injured, some played in the wrong scheme others actually improved from the prior year and will continue to improve the next. A single label is hardly conductive to how this team will contend.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Corner is still a major weakness for this team imo!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How does Stocker get rated “Not enough info” when he’s entering his 4th off season?At some point the fact that he's been around so long and offered up so little has to change him from "NEI" to Piss Poor Starter.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There’s some things that stand out to me as just being odd. I’d say EDS is a “good starter”, above average at least. Also they have LJ listed as SCB and Frazier has already said DJ Moore currently has the lead at that position. I think DJ Moore is an average starter. I also strongly disagree with Clayborn being a “poor starter”. He’s one of the best run defending DEs in football, when it comes to pass rushing he’s been fairly average but the guy is no bum. Pretty crappy write up.I'd also rank Mason as at least average... just because this clown doesn't know who our players are doesn't make them all bums.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, Clayborn and Foster should at least be average. Also this graph doesn’t add coaching into the equation.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kind of funny that they have Rainey as “not enough information” when the guy was our leading rusher last year. PRETTY sure we got a good enough idea of what he is last year. Yet they can rate Mike James, who had fewer snaps. Aiiiiight.I personally don't look at corner as being a bad situation right now. Verner will be really good in this scheme and I really think this scheme will suit Banks well, also. Behind those guys we have some solid depth, Jenkins and Moore are guys that I don't particularly want starting but they're solid depth guys and I think Moore will be a nice slot guy as well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

2014 Depth Chart: Tampa Bay BuccaneersProFootballFocus.comGordon McGuinness | June 20, 2014 •  Tampa Bay has two elite players on their roster.

Still too early to tell.  I'm curious to see how the current players respond to their new coaches/system.Guys may improve some could decline.  The team needs more than two elite players and currently has far too many "below average" or worse players IMO to contend.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Many NFL teams struggle to get enough quality starters at every position. Quality depth is not easy to obtain in the salary cap era. You need to do well in picking up unproven guys that turn out well.If you have starter-level guys in the 2nd string, they don't stay there long. Either they eventually go to another team where they can start or they want too much money for you to keep.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The reason the NFL is such a great game is that every team faces the same issues.  Your success is largely coach and GM driven.  We have a coach that knows how to foster depth and competition at least on the defensive side of the ball and I know he’s trying to address the offense.  We have the depth to compete because we have the coach and GM that know what they are doing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How is Clayborn a poor starter while Bowers is only below average? And do they really think we signed Clint McDonald to a lucrative deal only to have him backup Gmac? smh

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The reason the NFL is such a great game is that every team faces the same issues.  Your success is largely coach and GM driven. .

and QB

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The reason the NFL is such a great game is that every team faces the same issues.  Your success is largely coach and GM driven. .

and QB

With the exception of Brady and Manning, teams make the QB not the other way around.  The media narrative is a bit dim as it relates to this.  Most QBs would be horrible without talent around them, simple as that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

and QB

With the exception of Brady and Manning, teams make the QB not the other way around.  The media narrative is a bit dim as it relates to this.  Most QBs would be horrible without talent around them, simple as that.

It works both ways. Great passing games have a great QB and good players around them. A great QB can cover up so many issues though. With one you can plug and play skill guys who then eventually become good.

Please wait…

• ruodrik

Participant

UnderratedClayborn -  Poor starter?  gtfo the guy has played no less than an average DE game EDS - Average starter?  Again, known to be above average across his position around the league.Dashon Goldson - Despite penalties below average is an insult to his rank across the league. OverratedCarl Nicks - Hasn't put up an average season since hes gotten here and probably never will.  High caliber starter is extreme rose colored goggles.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the offense has the potential to be extremely explosive this season. McCown is going to have a wide array of weapons at his disposal. I just really question how well this line is going to play.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

and QB

It works both ways. Great passing games have a great QB and good players around them. A great QB can cover up so many issues though. With one you can plug and play skill guys who then eventually become good.

Maybe Luck falls into the same category soon but even Rodgers only found magic one season and his team shouldn't have been in the playoffs that year.  RIP Winslow.More often than not, the team makes the QB and not the other way around.

Please wait…

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.