Viewing 14 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

How Do You Block for Johnny Manziel?By Sayre Bedinger - Nov 1st, 2013 at 12:03 amjohnny_zps6df16beb.jpg Oct 19, 2013; College Station, TX, USAJohnny Manziel is an intriguing NFL prospect. You can’t deny it, and no matter how much you dislike him, you can’t shy away from it. Manziel presents an interesting challenge for the guys up front who block for him. One of those guys is tackle Jake Matthews, who like Manziel is expected to be one of the first players selected at his position in the up-coming 2014 NFL Draft. Matthews acknowledges the fact that blocking for Manziel is tough at times, but his ability to make plays is worth the challenge. “There’s still times where you feel like you’re adjusting because you never know which way he’s going to dart out of that pocket,” offensive tackle Jake Matthews said. “Sometimes he’s right behind you and you think he’s going under you. It can get kind of confusing sometimes. But he makes so many plays for us that we’re willing to go the extra mile and block that much longer for him. It’s a little bit of a challenge, but you’ve got to love it.” It’s a very interesting topic to bring up, because using a high draft pick on Manziel could alter the way you not only scheme an offense, but it could alter the way you pick players to play on your offensive line. First and foremost, the guys playing tackle will need to be athletic and they’ll need to be able to withstand a long battle in the trenches. As if linemen don’t already need to be those things. However, you have to think about what makes Manziel the prospect he is, and part of the reason (a BIG part) why he is considered a first rounder by a lot of people is his ability to create, and the fact that when there is nothing available, he can make something out of nothing. Linemen need to be able to make adjustments to that, and it’s a process that Texas A&M certainly prepares for more than people know or think. “When [Manziel] rolls out sometimes, it’s kind of hard because you’re blocking a guy and next thing you know, he sprints straight to the sideline,” Matthews said. “I’m assuming Johnny rolled out, so I just start running after him.”http://nflmocks.com/2013/11/01/block-johnny-manziel/

Please wait…

• SCLOBERNOCKER

Participant

Manziel Runs Straight AheadYea, I think we got that covered.

Please wait…

• Skull and Bones

Participant

We don’t have the offensive line to block for anyone.  Joseph is the first person that needs to go .

Please wait…

• Dolorous Jason

Participant

It’s been adequate for Glennon the statue so far , I’m sure Manziel would manage …

Please wait…

• mgchat76

Participant

Joseph definitely needs to go.  If Nicks’ MRSA truly is in his bone, then he may never play again (or at the very least not be able to push off that foot effectively).  Personally I think the team should be trying Dotson at LT for the rest of the season to see if he’s got a future there.  It would be a lot easier to find a new RT if it works out.  Of course, Schiano is just trying to win a game so that’s unlikely.

Please wait…

• Skull and Bones

Participant

The need to draft at least one OG is a big reason I suggested we try to trade Glennon if we draft a new QB .  A starter is better value to this team than a backup.

Please wait…

• Rusty

Participant

Get rid of Penn, Nicks and Joseph. Zuttah is on the edge of out the door, another high priced do nothing. Pick up a few free agents, draft like hell. Turn them over to Bostad. Put Dotson at LT. Best case scenario. Look, we have pretty good receivers and yes I know Williams is hurt, no slot receiver and no TE) and a very good RB (yes he is hurt) but next year, everyone should be healthy and back. Assuming Glennon is really a game day manager and the Bucs solve the Slot and TE issues, then they only have to replace THREE Oline positions. Both guards and a RT. Come on man, it can be done. Decent special teams, good defense (I know, no pass rush) and offensive weapons. Ya think we might be able to give Bostad free reign to rebuild the Oline? I sure as hell would.

Please wait…

• Skull and Bones

Participant

Bostad ain’t gonna be here in two months

Please wait…

• JDouble

Participant

Manziel’s mobility and elusiveness are his strengths. Like Rodgers and Wilson, he can do just fine behind a below average O-line. It’s one of the advantages of having a mobile QB instead of a statue.

Please wait…

• Skull and Bones

Participant

Get rid of Penn, Nicks and Joseph. Zuttah is on the edge of out the door, another high priced do nothing. Pick up a few free agents, draft like hell. Turn them over to Bostad. Put Dotson at LT. Best case scenario. Look, we have pretty good receivers and yes I know Williams is hurt, no slot receiver and no TE) and a very good RB (yes he is hurt) but next year, everyone should be healthy and back. Assuming Glennon is really a game day manager and the Bucs solve the Slot and TE issues, then they only have to replace THREE Oline positions. Both guards and a RT. Come on man, it can be done. Decent special teams, good defense (I know, no pass rush) and offensive weapons. Ya think we might be able to give Bostad free reign to rebuild the Oline? I sure as hell would.

almost sounds like you want to keep Schiano.

Please wait…

• Rusty

Participant

almost sounds like you want to keep Schiano.

I will tell you that the prospect of more turnover makes me sick to my stomach. I am not a Schiano cheerleader, as the record speaks for itself. But new coaches, players, schemes and mounting losses is just too much to put up with for anyone. You can hope for a Kansas City type miracle but it would be highly unlikely

Please wait…

• JDouble

Participant

Not just Kansas City. 49ers. Colts. And to a lesser extent, the Dolphins.....have all had immediate success with a new HC and new QB. It doesn't have to be bad. We don't have to start from scratch and start a new 5 year process. If we pick the right QB in the draft and hire the right HC (one that will alter his schemes to get the most out of our talent rather than trying to repeatedly force a square peg in a round hole) then we can be a solid team in 2014. Probably not a SB winning team, but sure as hell can be a 10 win play off team.

Please wait…

• Rusty

Participant

JDouble, you are probably right, however, do you have any confidence that the Glazers can find the right GM, coaches and personnel to make a smooth transition to respectability?  Between Raheem and no Schiano, it is just bad, bad, bad.

Please wait…

• 3rd String Kicker

JDouble, you are probably right, however, do you have any confidence that the Glazers can find the right GM, coaches and personnel to make a smooth transition to respectability?  Between Raheem and no Schiano, it is just bad, bad, bad.

Perhaps the answer is to find a coach with experience who knows what they are doing and how they want to do it, and give them the control / Power.

Please wait…

• RHBucsFan

Participant

how many top 3 round picks do you think they have? they are not going to find suitable replacements in rds 5 and 6.

Please wait…

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.