Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 16 reply threads

• Author

• Roy

Participant

Starting a new thread on this.

Andrew Whitworth response to the NFL players wanting to cancel the preseason:
      “Think that’s smart,” . “I think we just prepare to pull off the season. No need to risk travel or exposure that’s not a real game.”

I have to agree. There will be no fans in the stands. TV viewers will live survive. We want to see football, but the preseason games don’t matter and the final score doesn’t matter. Its not good football. The whole idea is to play the starters for a couple series and hope they don’t get injured.

Why can’t they have a couple of joint practices with nearby teams? Those practices could be more safely controlled than a game. You could practice against a team geographically nearby so you don’t have to have airplanes and hotels most of the time.

Expand the rosters so that those bubble guys who really need those preseason games to get a roster spot can make the team anyway, or at least the practice squad. These bubble guys will usually end up finding their way onto a practice squad where they can continue to learn the ropes.

It may make for some sloppy play in the first couple weeks, but the NFL can conduct a season without the preseason games.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Preseason is mostly pointless.

Please wait…

• Bootz04

Blocked

We don’t need football period. Not with this pandemic still ongoing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We definitely need football. A pandemic doesn’t mean everything needs to shut down. It means we need to be smart about it. Let’s start with this. Until you are in reasonable shape and have a BMI in the 18 – 25 range, you have no business having an opinion on the Covid front because you are already a huge burden on all of society from a health perspective. Get yourself in shape, build up your immune system, then you can have an opinion. Our fat, undulating, overweight society, for the most part, needs to just shut the fuck up.

Please wait…

• Bootz04

Blocked

We “need” football. Tell me what fundamental need football satisfies for anyone? I’m all ears.

We definitely need football. A pandemic doesn’t mean everything needs to shut down. It means we need to be smart about it. Let’s start with this. Until you are in reasonable shape and have a BMI in the 18 – 25 range, you have no business having an opinion on the Covid front because you are already a huge burden on all of society from a health perspective. Get yourself in shape, build up your immune system, then you can have an opinion. Our fat, undulating, overweight society, for the most part, needs to just shut the fuck up.

Please wait…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We “need” football. Tell me what fundamental need football satisfies for anyone? I’m all ears.

Please wait…

Please wait…

Do this, imagine the next 14 months without it. Fun right?

Please wait…

• Bootz04

Blocked

That doesn’t make it a necessity. You’re turning a privilege into a right and a necessity when it isn’t. Now answer the question or admit you’re making it up as you go. What fundamental NEED does football satisfy?

Please wait…

Please wait…

Please wait…

Please wait…

• Roy

Participant

The question of this post is regarding preseason.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That doesn’t make it a necessity. You’re turning a privilege into a right and a necessity when it isn’t. Now answer the question or admit you’re making it up as you go. What fundamental NEED does football satisfy?

Please wait…

Please wait…

Please wait…

Please wait…

You should look at the effect of football and sports in general on mental health. There is a reason the NFL is a multi-billion dollar industry. It’s a chance to not think about the big things in life and just lather up in something that we have no control over. Sure, its not a need, but neither are cars.

Please wait…

• BucBalla85

Participant

I usually hate preseason and would not be upset if they cut it to one game or didn’t do it this year but I think a preseason game or two wouldn’t be the worst thing for our team to get on the same page as early as possible.

Please wait…

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

Total COVID-19 Deaths, as per CDC Jun 27, 2020: 112,226

Ages 0-14: 29 (0.02%)
        Ages 15-24: 142 (0.12%)
        Ages 25-34: 770 (0.68%)
        Ages 35-44: 1,972 (1.75%)
        Ages 45-54: 5,488 (4.89%)
        Ages 55-64: 13,465 (11.9%)
        Ages 65-74: 23,333 (20.7%)
        Ages 75-84: 29,780 (26.5%)
        Ages 85+: 37,247 (33.1%)

Football players would fit into two ages of 15-24 and 25-34. The death rates for the sum of that group of ages is under 1% (specifically 0.80%). Athletes usually are at the healthiest of their sub-groups and if they’re part of some organized sport (college or pro), then they will also have a more direct access to appropriate health care.

Double digit death rates start appearing at age 55 and the death rate continues to rise the older the subset of ages.

Death rate for ages 15-34 = 0.80%
      Death rate for ages 55+ = 92.2%

Or…

Survival rate for ages 15-34 = 99.2%
      Survival rate for ages 55+ = 7.8%

But Eric July found a medical research that compiled 23 valid COVID-19 fatality rates, backed by Yale. I’ll share his youtube and he leaves his two sources medrxiv and the cdc.

Doing the preseason is important to get players get back into football or partial football shape along with being on the same page. Most injuries occur when players are doing something that isn’t expected.

We’re already cutting off 2 pre-season games. Those games are usually reserved for the reserves, low round drafted rookies, and UDFAs to evaluate who will make the cut, who will make the practice squad, or who will be outright cut.

The Bucs needs to see their big investments in both Brady and Gronk in action. The Bucs need to see what they have in their backup QB, considering he was injured last season. The Bucs need to see what they have at RT Wirfs.

Please wait…

• Bootz04

Blocked

I would look at the effects football has on mental health if such evidence existed. You brought it up so SURELY it exists, right? Show me please….

Please wait…

Please wait…

Please wait…

Please wait…

You should look at the effect of football and sports in general on mental health. There is a reason the NFL is a multi-billion dollar industry. It’s a chance to not think about the big things in life and just lather up in something that we have no control over. Sure, its not a need, but neither are cars.

Please wait…

Please wait…

• LVBUC2

Participant

I think 2 preseason games will be good. What do they think, just because the game is real the player will not get Covid19? 2 preseason games will allow the teams to work out the bugs for the regular season.

Please wait…

• spartan

Participant

How about not being bored out of my skull for the next 6-7 months when I am not working? Humans have always needed some form of entertainment, and I am not exactly a beach babe. Currently no movies are being made, no new TV shows, no sport is being played, not concerts, no plays, no neighborhood get-togethers, in fact no social gathering of any kind. Playing monopoly with my kids and World of War only goes so far!

As an aside, I think the players don’t get paid there is a regular season, so they might be a bit keen as well.

Edit: One of these days I will get the quite ting right. This is in response to why we NEED football.

Please wait…

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

Assuming there’s a season, I think they’re going to need at least 2 games. There’s been virtually no off-season. The players need to get on the field before the games that count are played.

Please wait…

• Wutt

Participant

Why the fk is covid being brought up in every thread by @bootz2004 shutup you asshat and stay on topic. Now to the actual topic, Do they need preseason? No…College doesn’t have one and there are some huge games on that first week, it just depends. With having a new QB I would prefer there be a few preseason games to get everything rolling before the season starts so we can kick the saints in the face week 1.

Please wait…

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

Why the fk is covid being brought up in every thread by @bootz2004 shutup you asshat and stay on topic. Now to the actual topic, Do they need preseason? No…College doesn’t have one and there are some huge games on that first week, it just depends. With having a new QB I would prefer there be a few preseason games to get everything rolling before the season starts so we can kick the saints in the face week 1.

Please wait…

To be fair, they do also spend literally a full month prepping for that one team, then essentially have 2 to 4 weeks of nobody’s until they play anyone else with legit talent. They gear up to play one game, then play a handful of “pre-season” games before playing their tougher conference schedule.

Please wait…

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.