Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Do you agree this will be the Bucs Starting Lineup opening day?

This topic contains 41 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Havok904 May. 22, 2019 at 7:28 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

The Anti-Java
    Participant

NFC South projected starters

Sean Bunting

By Gregg Rosenthal
    Around The NFL Editor NFL.com
    May 15, 2019 at 01:49 p.m.

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
    QB: Jameis Winston
    RB: Peyton Barber
    WR: Mike Evans
    WR: Chris Godwin
    WR: Breshad Perriman
    TE: O.J. Howard
    LT: Donovan Smith
    LG: Ali Marpet
    C: Ryan Jensen
    RG: Alex Cappa
    RT: Demar Dotson

DE: Gerald McCoy
    DT: Vita Vea
    DE: Will Gholston
    OLB: Carl Nassib
    ILB: Devin White
    ILB: Lavonte David
    OLB: Shaq Barrett
    CB: Vernon Hargreaves
    CB: Sean Bunting
    S: Justin Evans
    S: Jordan Whitehead

» I’m less excited about the 2019 Bucs after performing this exercise. While Bruce Arians could be the perfect match for Jameis Winston, there are too many other potholes dotted throughout the roster to ignore.

» The offense is mostly intact from a year ago, although replacing Adam Humphries and DeSean Jackson with Breshad Perriman isn’t exactly a win. Despite a sub-standard running back room led by Peyton Barber and Ronald Jones, the depth of weapons here still isn’t the problem. Winston has plenty of talented folks to throw to.

» It will be interesting to see how Arians uses his talented tight ends, O.J. Howard and Cameron Brate. The coach has primarily asked tight ends to block in the past, but it’d be foolish not to take advantage of the in-house talent.

» The huge contract for left tackle Donovan Smith is typical on an offensive line with four starters back despite poor overall play. The Bucs have finished in the bottom 10 teams in pass blocking for three straight seasons, according to Pro Football Focus.

» The bigger questions for the Bucs come on defense. They are configured in a 3-4 lineup above because that’s primarily what coordinator Todd Bowles has done in the past. Gerald McCoy could be traded because he’s not quite a fit in Bowles’ scheme despite his still-solid production.

» That said, the Bucs might not be able to afford dealing McCoy after Jason Pierre-Paul’s recent neck injury. Where is the pass rush coming from? Free-agent pickup Shaq Barrett, 2018 waiver pickup Carl Nassib and 2016 second-rounder Noah Spence look like the best options.

» The strength of Tampa Bay’s D will be pursuing linebackers Devin White and Lavonte David. It will be hard to beat this team to the outside.

» The Bucs are hoping quantity can turn into quality at cornerback. They have at least six cornerbacks fighting for their top three spots, with four of them drafted in the top three rounds of the last two drafts. None of Tampa’s cornerbacks have proven to be standouts, hence embattled general manager Jason Licht continuing to draft them.

Biggest change from a year ago: The Bucs are banking on the new coaching staff turning the ship around, because the roster doesn’t look much better.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

For all the NFC South starters..
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001030887/article/nfc-south-projected-starters-saints-appear-stout-on-defense

+4
    Rating: +1. From 7 votes.
    Please wait...

kbl117
    Participant

Cut Gholston and Ryan Smith, save 6 mil in cap, and sign the draft picks

Cut McCoy, save 13 mil, and sign RB Ajayi, RG Fusco, S Boston

• Buchanon should be in for Whitehead. Hargreaves is a coin flip at best to be a starter. Cappa and Gholston starting is a stretch, even with the current lack of talent on the roster.
    +5
    Rating: +1. From 9 votes.
    Please wait...
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by  kbl117.
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by  kbl117.

buccnation
    Participant

I think Gholston fits in well in our 3-4. I think Watford starts at RG over Cappa and I could see Edwards starting at safety over Whitehead.

+7
    Rating: +6. From 8 votes.
    Please wait...

Bootz2004
    Participant

Cut Gholston and Ryan Smith, save 6 mil in cap, and sign the draft picks

Cut McCoy, save 13 mil, and sign RB Ajayi, RG Fusco, S Boston

• Buchanon should be in for Whitehead. Hargreaves is a coin flip at best to be a starter. Cappa and Gholston starting is a stretch, even with the current lack of talent on the roster.

Wait, you say cut McCoy then turn around and say Gholston starting would be a stretch. Who would start in McCoy’s and Gholston’s place?

+4
    Rating: +2. From 6 votes.
    Please wait...

Alldaway 2.0
    Participant

The defensive starters are completely off.  This defense is going to look very different.

+9
    Rating: +9. From 9 votes.
    Please wait...

Buc on the Move
    Participant

The defensive starters are completely off. This defense is going to look very different.

Do you have a prediction of what the starters will look like, or just a disagreement with this list?

+4
    Rating: +4. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...

Pepsi
    Participant

Ive finally learned to put homerism aside and view the roster objectively, and in doing so I’m looking at that list and seeing a sub .500 football team.

+11
    Rating: +10. From 12 votes.
    Please wait...

Nobody
    Participant

I agree with the Offense because 11 personnel is the majority grouping for virtually every team.

But for some reason, people are still treating the historical “Base” defense personnel like its “base”, even though it’s a minority sub-package.

My guess right now for our majority snaps Defense is probably:

DL: Vita Vea
    DL: Carl Nassib/Anthony Nelson (splitting snaps…this could be a 2 point player)
    SPUR (OLB/S): Deone Bucannon
    ILB: Devin White
    ILB: Lavonte David
    JACK (DE/OLB): Shaq Barrett
    NCB: Sean Bunting
    CB: Carlton Davis
    CB: Ryan Smith
    S: Justin Evans
    S: Mike Edwards

++++++

I think Smith is a flat out better boundary player than VH3 and his work ethic, run support, size, and not terribleness in Press Man will earn him the opening day spot. I think Bunting could very well beat VH3 for the NCB spot, signaling the death knell of his time here.

I like Edwards over Whitehead.

I think Bucannon is on the field a majority of the time.

My guess is we see a heaping of 2 DL looks and a fair amount of looks with only 1 player with their hand-in-the-dirt.

+6
    Rating: +4. From 8 votes.
    Please wait...

The Anti-Java
    Participant

@nobody
    Vern odd man out? Wow, I thought he looked decent before the injury, that would be big, but you could be right.

+3
    Rating: +3. From 3 votes.
    Please wait...

Buc on the Move
    Participant

@nobody

That sure is an interesting lineup/formation for base, but can it stop the run up the gut with such little beef up front?

+3
    Rating: +3. From 3 votes.
    Please wait...

Nobody
    Participant

@nobody

Vern odd man out? Wow, I thought he looked decent before the injury, that would be big, but you could be right.

Well, small sample size my friend!

He only had 53 total snaps in that NO game before he was gone for the season. His 39 Coverage snaps yielded a poor grade overall but his run support and tackling were good.

Someone that has been on the shelf that much…who hasn’t had success when he’s been available. I’m skeptical until I see it happen on the field with consistency (which hasn’t happened in 3 years). We’ll see.

+3
    Rating: +2. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...

Nobody
    Participant

@nobody

That sure is an interesting lineup/formation for base, but can it stop the run up the gut with such little beef up front?

Overwhelmingly teams are passing on 1st and 10 and playing 11 (or leaner) personnel. This defense is suited for that.

3rd and medium or longer; this defense is suited for that.

So that is why you’re seeing a lot of fronts like this popping up in the NFL. It’s becoming orthodox.

Bowles defense is about 1 gap penetration. This isn’t a 2 gap > engage and attempt to displace or stalemate > shed and pursue once the ball declares.

This is a “confuse OL protections, bring more than they can block in one area (either Edge or iOL), get upfield through your gap and wreak havoc, control Boot/Cutback” defense.

Scheme Pressure. Slant and Scrape one of the A Gaps with ILB and Vita (or whomever) takes the other A gap.

+4
    Rating: +3. From 5 votes.
    Please wait...

NotDeadYet
    Participant

If a team figures out they can run on us, they will. That’s a big reason to have LBs and CBs who are outstanding in discipline, pursuit, and tackling. Safeties need to be all those in any D… In a 3-4, the front line is more about buying time for the LBs to get to the ball…

+3
    Rating: +2. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by  NotDeadYet.

Buc on the Move
    Participant

IF I were planning to run a mainly 2 man front, then I might think about drafting a stud MLB….really interested to see this new defense on the field in game action more than anything else right now.  Their success will be the biggest factor in the Bucs season, even more than QB play, I think.

+4
    Rating: +4. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...

PassThePigSkin
    Participant

Gholston over McCoy in this defense now that the Bucs moved closer to a 3-4 defense. He should perform a lot better because his best attribute is stopping the run and holding double teams. Plus he is a lot cheaper than keeping McCoy.

+3
    Rating: +1. From 5 votes.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.