Monday, September 16, 2019

Do you agree this will be the Bucs Starting Lineup opening day?

This topic contains 41 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Havok904 May. 22, 2019 at 7:28 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Alldaway 2.0
    Participant

The defensive starters are completely off. This defense is going to look very different.

Do you have a prediction of what the starters will look like, or just a disagreement with this list?

Disagreement with the list.

+3
    Rating: +2. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...

kbl117
    Participant

@bootz2004

Yes, I’d cut McCoy AND Gholston. I’d start a tackling dummy over paying Gholston another cent of that silly contract we gave him

+2
    Rating: +1. From 3 votes.
    Please wait...

Bootz2004
    Participant

@bootz2004

Yes, I’d cut McCoy AND Gholston. I’d start a tackling dummy over paying Gholston another cent of that silly contract we gave him

Solid troll piece. At least you’re not shy about it like the other trolls. Much respect, kiddo.

Rating: -2. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...

Bootz2004
    Participant

Gholston over McCoy in this defense now that the Bucs moved closer to a 3-4 defense. He should perform a lot better because his best attribute is stopping the run and holding double teams. Plus he is a lot cheaper than keeping McCoy.

LMAO! Gholston is an average run defender. But there’s absolutely ZERO evidence that he can hold double teams because no one has doubled him before. There is plenty of evidence however of him getting pancaked and blocked rather easily by TEs.

Good God, this place has some real idiots. You can’t make this shit up. At least Buczone.com idiots were slightly smarter than this. They didn’t just make this crap up.

+1
    Rating: -3. From 5 votes.
    Please wait...

xbucsx_4_xevax
    Participant

@nobody you say VHlll being on the top long gets you to be skeptical but you’ve seen Ryan “freaking” Smith get burnt on almost every play yet you choose Smith over VH… that’s just crazy to me cuz I’d Myron Lewis at this point over Smith who supported and liked  his rookie year  but after watching him I realized he’s not an NFL caliber player…

+2
    Please wait...

Nobody
    Participant

@nobody you say VHlll being on the top long gets you to be skeptical but you’ve seen Ryan “freaking” Smith get burnt on almost every play yet you choose Smith over VH… that’s just crazy to me cuz I’d Myron Lewis at this point over Smith who supported and liked his rookie year but after watching him I realized he’s not an NFL caliber player…

Ryan Smith was the best CB on this team last year. His play, while not great, isn’t terrible. What’s more, it’s ascending, typically stable (he doesn’t have huge peaks and valleys), and he’s a very good run support corner.

VH3, on the other hand:

1) Has missed 22 of the 32 games the last 2 years.

2) Out of those 10 games he has played, he’s had a “failing coverage grade (below 60) in 7 (SEVEN) of them.

3) His “season” Run Defense and Tackling grades in his 9 games played in 2017 were both 45 and change (this is Caleb Benenoch territory).

VH3 has never been good in coverage in the NFL.

VH3 has never been a good run support player.

VH3’s availability has been terrible.

Maybe he somehow turns it on and becomes available and successful this year. But if you’re projecting that, it’s hope, not analysis. And that’s ok, but that’s what it is.

+6
    Rating: +5. From 7 votes.
    Please wait...

xbucsx_4_xevax
    Participant

@nobody I get it looking at their stats tells a story but eye test tells different… I watched him get torched up and down the field, game in and game out wanting to shoot myself… VHlll be4 going on the shelf was playing great football and doing a better job at tackling also… Smith is not our best CB, Davis is and that’s without looking up all their stats but just simply from watching every game…

+2
    Please wait...

Nobody
    Participant

@nobody I get it looking at their stats tells a story but eye test tells different… I watched him get torched up and down the field, game in and game out wanting to shoot myself… VHlll be4 going on the shelf was playing great football and doing a better job at tackling also… Smith is not our best CB, Davis is and that’s without looking up all their stats but just simply from watching every game…

Those aren’t stats.

Those are PFF grades, season and individual grades.

And I’ve watched the ALL22 of almost every defensive snap in 2018. Ryan Smith’s snaps were the best of any CB on this team (but yes, Davis played alright and is the better prospect). And I’ve watched the All22 on all of those 10 games that VH3 has played in the last 2 years. The PFF grades are spot on. He’s been extremely poor in both run support and coverage (even when he’s Pressed from NCB).

Again, Smith is not a “good” CB. But he is a solid player who has been available (including playing through injuries)…and his 2018 play improved significantly from 2017 (hence, ascending). When you’re merely a “solid” player among a collection of below average to average CB play, that puts you top of the heap.

He should have played over Grimes all year long last year. When he did, we were a better defense.

+3
    Rating: +2. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...

xbucsx_4_xevax
    Participant

@nobody we definitely agree on Grimes shouldn’t have been starting on this team with 17yard cushion on every WR… I guess you’re right when we have a bunch of below average CBs an average one Is onsidered top of the heap… i hope Bunting, Davis and Dean show life so when can have a fast non-thinking defense who sends blitz on every play…

+1
    Rating: +1. From 1 vote.
    Please wait...

Nobody
    Participant

Agreed.

I think Bunting and Dean ascending the depth chart and VH3 sitting under those 2, Smith, and Davis (where he presently belongs) would send a nice message to this unit.

+1
    Rating: 0. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...

RHBucsFan
    Participant

VH3, another Licht bust. Extremely high pick with terrible ROI for us

+2
    Rating: +2. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...

tog
    Participant

Those aren’t stats.

Those are PFF grades, season and individual grades.

And I’ve watched the ALL22 of almost every defensive snap in 2018. Ryan Smith’s snaps were the best of any CB on this team (but yes, Davis played alright and is the better prospect). And I’ve watched the All22 on all of those 10 games that VH3 has played in the last 2 years. The PFF grades are spot on. He’s been extremely poor in both run support and coverage (even when he’s Pressed from NCB).

Again, Smith is not a “good” CB. But he is a solid player who has been available (including playing through injuries)…and his 2018 play improved significantly from 2017 (hence, ascending). When you’re merely a “solid” player among a collection of below average to average CB play, that puts you top of the heap.

He should have played over Grimes all year long last year. When he did, we were a better defense.

I want to add to this as well that Smith was a 4th round developmental corner who played safety his 1st year. That means that before last season he had 1 NFL season at CB – while again being a developmental corner.

Smith has his flaws but I think he could become a “good” (#2) CB this year with the right coaching. He has the mental toughness, athleticism, and physicality to play CB. As well, his technique has consistently improved and got better by leaps and bounds during the season last year.

Lastly, I think he fits the profile of what Bowles wants. He’s not a perfect man corner but he has some ability to press and certainly has the athletic ability to run with WRs. There’s technique and experience he needs around route recognition, disrupting routes, etc.

+2
    Please wait...

Nobody
    Participant

Agree on all the above @tog .

Great ST player, durable, good football IQ, tough, physical, athletic enough, frame is solid. Solid all around tech in Man or Zone in Off or Press or Bail. Whether he can consistently Press Jam at the LoS, routinely stay attached, and challenge at the catch window remains to be seen. But it wouldn’t surprise me if he could.

I feel like Bunting and he are pretty similar players with Bunting being a bit more athletic.

I think this is exactly the type of DB that Arians, Bowles, et al will like.

I like him starting opposite Davis until TC battles prove otherwise.

+2
    Please wait...

Pennywise
    Participant

Players need to be versatile, teams were in base last year 25% of the time

+1
    Rating: +1. From 1 vote.
    Please wait...

Pennywise
    Participant

I think Smith is odd man out

+2
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.