Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 23 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Brandt: Odell Beckham No. 1 among WRs from last two draftsBy Chase Goodbread      NFL.comPublished:  Dec. 21, 2015 at 07:38 p.m.  odell_zpsxa7bkjkh.jpgOdell Beckham, Jr., received a one-game suspension for his actions on Sunday, but where his standing among the NFL's young receivers is concerned, he's in no trouble at all. NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt ranked the NFL's best receivers from the last two NFL drafts, and the New York Giants' second-year star was an easy choice at the top of the list."He's like Secretariat. He's run away from the pack, is what he's done. He's really done a great job," Brandt said.Brandt said Beckham entered play Sunday with just three drops on the year among 85 catches, having been targeted 142 times, with nine catches and no drops in the red zone. Brandt took into consideration how they project for the future, as well as their talent and production, in evaluating the league's rookie and second-year receivers.After Beckham, Brandt ranked the next 11 on his list this way:2. Amari Cooper3. Jarvis Landry4. Jordan Matthews5. Sammy Watkins6. Allen Robinson7. Brandin Cooks8. Martavis Bryant9. Mike Evans10. Kelvin Benjamin11. Stefon Diggs12. Allen HurnsBrandt tweeted the list late last week in two parts, and said he didn't intentionally omit Matthews, the Eagles' second-year pro from Vanderbilt. Landry, Beckham's former LSU teammate, has impressed Brandt despite averaging just 10 yards per catch."Landry is fast enough; he doesn't have Odell Beckham speed, but he's an all-around guy. (LSU offensive coordinator) Cam Cameron told me at LSU, if he drops a pass in practice even once a week, it turned their heads," Brandt said. "The guy has great hands."Brandt said Buccaneers receiver Mike Evans and the Panthers' Kelvin Benjamin will need to improve their route-running skills to develop their full potential, but sees both as dangerous weapons due to their size and athleticism.NFL teams selected 68 wide receivers in the last two NFL drafts, yet one receiver made Brandt's list as an undrafted free agent: Jaguars second-year pro Allen Hurns. Brandt said the group was difficult to judge because of varying quarterback play, noting that the Bills' Sammy Watkins has lacked the quarterback play that others benefit from.According to Brandt, the entire group has accounted for only one red-zone drop this season. It's a strong contingent that only figures to be supported by more impressive draft classes in the future."The whole group is exceptional. I think we'll find this every year, more and more good receivers coming out that are ready to play, simply because they do such a good job now in the passing game in college," Brandt said. "And more than anything, all these guys play 7-on-7 (tournaments) in the summer time. They learn how to play the position, how to catch the ball, and I've never seen so many guys make these unbelievably tough catches."In other words, it's Beckham and then everyone else, but everyone else is developing awfully well.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gtfo here with Landry,Matthews,Bryant, Cooks, Evans is better than all those guysYou can make an argument for Cooper and Robinson, maybe Watkins 3 guys who had comparable production from lining up as an outside receiver

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gtfo here with Landry,Matthews,Bryant, Cooks, Evans is better than all those guysYou can make an argument for Cooper and Robinson, maybe Watkins 3 guys who had comparable production from lining up as an outside receiver

To me, Evans is 2nd on this list. Cooper has more drops than Evans this year, and Watkins' knee is forever going to be an issue. People on this board love Robinson recently, but he's been pretty meh the last 2 games. To me it's like he almost always runs the same route, and the scheme, QB, and offense as a whole should get a lot of credit for his success.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d put Evans in the top 6, definitely too low

• suesweat

Participant

Gil has no clue what reality is."With his second 1,000-yard receiving season, Evans joins a group of just eight players to have ever done that in their first two seasons in the league. The group includes Odell Beckham Jr., A.J. Green, Marques Coltston, Randy Moss, John Jefferson, Bob Hayes and Bill Groman, going all the way back to 1960-61."

• Anonymous

Inactive

Trash

• Anonymous

Inactive

He’s ranking them on “how they project for the future” people, not now.  I don’t think he’s really that far off.  Evans is definitely playing worse this year than last.  Going forward, I can see legitimacy to his rankings… with the exception of Matthews.  There’s a chance Benjamin and Hurns could pass him as well.

• Anonymous

Inactive

If I am not being a homer and picking for the future this is my list:1. Beckham2. Cooper3. Watkins4. Evans5. Robinson6. Bryant7. Benjamin8. Cooks9. Jarvis10. Matthews11. Hurns12. DiggsI could easily see Cooper pass Beckham and anyone of the 3-7 rankings move up into that top receiver category though.

• Anonymous

Inactive

If I am not being a homer and picking for the future this is my list:1. Beckham2. Cooper3. Watkins4. Evans5. Robinson6. Bryant7. Benjamin8. Cooks9. Jarvis10. Matthews11. Hurns12. DiggsI could easily see Cooper pass Beckham and anyone of the 3-7 rankings move up into that top receiver category though.

The only thing I would say is that I believe you have Landry too far down.  He's doing pretty well, and also is a really good return guy.  I'd put him in the 3-7 group before I put Benjamin in there.

• bucism1

Participant

Evans is 2nd. The 3rd best didn’t play this year. Watkins is probably 4th with cooper 5th. Bryant is a big guy with speed but You can’t roll coverage to him because they have playmakers everywhere.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Evans needs to work on his routes less now than he did as a rookie.  He needs to keep his hands to himself… and on the ball.

• Anonymous

Inactive

The only thing I would say is that I believe you have Landry too far down.  He's doing pretty well, and also is a really good return guy.  I'd put him in the 3-7 group before I put Benjamin in there.

You're probably right we could flip flop them. I do like Landry a lot. I honestly like all the receivers on this list but some couldn't or shouldn't be the #1 receiver on a team.

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's ranking them on "how they project for the future" people, not now.  I don't think he's really that far off.  Evans is definitely playing worse this year than last.  Going forward, I can see legitimacy to his rankings... with the exception of Matthews.  There's a chance Benjamin and Hurns could pass him as well.

He's only down in touchdowns (and that's more of a Jameis thing than Mike). He's actually going to surpass his rookie numbers in receptions and yards. Not exactly the definition of "down year"

• Anonymous

Inactive

Evans needs to start using stick-um, but if he can get the drops under control, he has the potential to be top 2. He will never have the explosiveness that ODB does. That said, even as things are now, I dont see him that far down.1. ODB2. Cooper3. Evans4. CooksI havent seen enough from Watkins to make me think hes any more than an average speed guy.

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's ranking them on "how they project for the future" people, not now.  I don't think he's really that far off.  Evans is definitely playing worse this year than last.  Going forward, I can see legitimacy to his rankings... with the exception of Matthews.  There's a chance Benjamin and Hurns could pass him as well.

He's only down in touchdowns (and that's more of a Jameis thing than Mike). He's actually going to surpass his rookie numbers in receptions and yards. Not exactly the definition of "down year"

Compared to his number of targets... plus the increase in drops, I'd consider it a down year.  He's already got a 10% increase in targets compared to last season and still has 2 games left.  The fact that the offense is better overall than last year should have put him well past his reception and yardage total already, yet he's equal (and as I said, with a 10% target increase and a 250% increase in drop total).  His drop rate was 3.3 last year, it's 7.6 this year.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Compared to his number of targets... plus the increase in drops, I'd consider it a down year.  He's already got a 10% increase in targets compared to last season and still has 2 games left.  The fact that the offense is better overall than last year should have put him well past his reception and yardage total already, yet he's equal (and as I said, with a 10% target increase and a 250% increase in drop total).  His drop rate was 3.3 last year, it's 7.6 this year.

I do agree the drops are disappointing and was hoping for more receptions this year but there are still some good things to take away from this season with Jameis and Evans.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I do agree the drops are disappointing and was hoping for more receptions this year but there are still some good things to take away from this season with Jameis and Evans.

Not saying there isn't... just saying that he's not a lock to be any kind of stud either (like I originally thought he was going to be).

• Anonymous

Inactive

ODB and Amari are light years ahead of Evans.  Purely from their ability to beat coverage.  Jarvis Landry is up there as well – not flashy, but he’s probably got the best hands of the entire group and his route running is the best of any of them.Evans is top 5 or 6 for sure, but he needs to improve as from a talent standpoint he's seemed to somewhat plateau this year.  That's probably a function of a lost preseason bc of the injury and working with Jameis for the first year, but I would've hoped to see a lot more improvement in him this year. Thought he looked better last year overall even though the numbers will show he had a better year this time around.Evans main issue is his feet.  They aren't great and its why he gets called for so many PI calls.  Instead of winning routes he gets separation through being physical with corners. That works for him, for now, but only against a certain type of DB - smaller corners he takes advantage of, but then guys like Josh Norman, Talib, or other similarly big corner/physical corners will completely take him out of the game. It also seems like the NFL is beginning to call offensive PI much more closely now (something defensive coaches have been clamoring for since the new illegal contact rules).To be a true #1 WR, like ODB, Antonio Brown, AJ Green, Julio, etc. you have to be able to win every single match up and those guys win mainly because they are such great route runners.  Julio is big and physical, but his routes are also super crisp.  Evans doesn't yet have that, and until he develops that ability he wont be in that first tier of dominating WRs.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Route running is his reasoning???Edit: guy above me- AJ Green has regularly got shut down by Joe Haden. Off hand I can think of one or maybe 2 games where Evans wasn't able to get open regularly against anyone in front of him. If even that much

• Anonymous

Inactive

Shouldn’t even waste time commenting on that trash.  Anyone in their right mind rather have Matthews than Evans?  The rest are arguable due to Evans having an issue with catching passes this year but looking at potential, he’s top three.  I’d probably put him behind Beckham just because Beckham has shown better focus and a willingness to actually attack the football instead of waiting for it to come to him.

• suesweat

Participant

Evans is playing worse yet still breaking records. What excuse will you tards come up with next? Let's wait and see......

• Anonymous

Inactive

Route running is his reasoning???Edit: guy above me- AJ Green has regularly got shut down by Joe Haden. Off hand I can think of one or maybe 2 games where Evans wasn't able to get open regularly against anyone in front of him. If even that much

I would agree. Nobody gets open more than Evans. He has been better at getting open than anyone else on this list. His issue has been dropping the ball and lack of red zone targets. OBJ is playing on another level from all of these guys, but outside of OBJ, Evans is the clear cut No.2.Projections are guesses. He must be guessing Evans is going to fall into a huge decline. Despite his drops and games missed, his production puts him squarely as the No.2 on the list. If he comes in healthy next year, I expect him to challenge OBJ for the top spot on this list. I will be staying tuned.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Anyone in their right mind rather have Matthews than Evans?  The rest are arguable due to Evans having an issue with catching passes this year...

Exactly. I liked Mathews coming out but he is no Evans. He has trouble getting open consistently.Also I dont know if anyone else noticed this about Evans drops but if you go back to earlier in the year and watch he was wearing black/grey gloves. This is going to sound nuts, but I fugured out a long time ago that balck gloves look cool, but I had way fewer drops with white gloves. It was substantial. I wish someone would go back and calulate Evans drop rate with the black gloves and then with the white gloves. Anyway, he swithed to the white gloves and he has stuck with them.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Evans is playing worse yet still breaking records. What excuse will you tards come up with next? Let's wait and see......

LOL... "records".

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.