Viewing 9 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

One Buc MailbagPosted Jul 10, 2014Scott Smith      Senior Writer/Editor @ScottSBucs The mailbag returns with a fan-submitted querie about the strength of the Bucs’ running back corpstop5_zps2c4f6079.gif    Top 5?  Hmm.  Ask me again in January.  I think the Bucs’ backfield has the potential to be a top-five group this season, but I’d be a bit of a homer if I claimed it was already there.    In terms of depth, I think you have to give it to San Francisco, which still has Frank Gore in the lead, a very capable backup in Kendall Hunter (4.6 career per-carry average) and the talented Marcus Lattimore returning from his pre-draft injury.  To that group, you add Carlos Hyde, a highly-regarded draft pick, and you probably don’t even have room for LaMichael James.    I know we’re talking groups here, but I kind of feel like any group that features Adrian Peterson and other people with legs is going to be top-five.  The pairing of C.J. Spiller and Fred Jackson is pretty potent in Buffalo, and there’s some reasonable depth behind them with Bryce Brown and Anthony Dixon.  Seattle’s group will be among the league’s best if Robert Turbin and/or (especially if it’s “and”) Christine Michael prove to be a dynamic complement to Marshawn Lynch.  The Eagles added Darren Sproles to the amazing LeSean McCoy.  Even with the unfortunate retirement of Johnathan Franklin, the Packers have some depth behind Eddie Lacy with James Starks and DuJuan Harris.  If rookie Lache Seastrunk can make his speed work in the NFL despite his lack of size, the Redskins would have a different sort of weapon to combine with Alfred Morris and Roy Helu.  That would be pretty strong.  And I guess we still have to consider Carolina as long as they have Johnathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams together.    The Bucs have Doug Martin, who was a top-five back individually in 2012 and is back to full health after losing much of last year to a shoulder injury.  That’s a great start.  They also might have the most depth they’ve ever had in the backfield if both Mike James and Bobby Rainey prove they are as good as they looked at times last year while putting up 100-yard games.  That’s because even with those three, the Buccaneers drafted West Virginia’s Charles Sims, who’s a good runner between the tackles and, perhaps more importantly, an outstanding pass-catcher.    Still, it’s probably too early to consider James, Rainey or Sims a sure thing, which is why I’m going to hold back on calling that a top-five group just yet.  I hope (and I believe) I’ll be singing a different tune after the season.Fans can submit questions for upcoming mailbags via Twitter to @ScottSBucs (#BucsMailbag), through a message on the Buccaneers Official Facebook Page or via email at tbbsocial@buccaneers.nfl.com.  The One Buc Mailbag runs every Thursday and is not necessarily meant to reflect the opinions of the team's management or coaching staff.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m not sure if we are top 5. . . . .yet.  Sims is an unknown and Demps hasn’t been used properly.  As the writer said, ask me in a few months.   

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think they’re borderline top 5. I have no problem putting them above Washington. Morris and Martin are pretty close and I’ll take our depth over theirs any day.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Based on talent yes although it depends how the coaches use them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not sure if we are top 5. . . . .yet.  Sims is an unknown and Demps hasn't been used properly.  As the writer said, ask me in a few months. 

Demps not being used properly is not an accurate statement.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not sure if we are top 5. . . . .yet.  Sims is an unknown and Demps hasn't been used properly.  As the writer said, ask me in a few months. 

Demps health/commitment is/was an issue, but I'm not sure he was used properly either (for the short time he was in uniform).  We ran the lowest amount of screens in the league last year.   

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Could they be, Sure. Are they now… No.  This is based on what you think some could be, Always Dangerous.  Reminds me of last year when people were touting our dline as this or that because of what some players could do. As was said in a earlier post, Ask me about midway through season or so.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Demps health/commitment is/was an issue, but I'm not sure he was used properly either (for the short time he was in uniform).  We ran the lowest amount of screens in the league last year. 

When? The he missed half the season to track or when he played a few games and go hurt?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nobody seems to be thinking about the guard situation. Someone has to open the holes for them to run thru. Right now there is none obvious to fill those positions.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Based on talent yes although it depends how the coaches use them.

Words right out of my mouth.IF lovie truly hands over the offense to tedford 100 percent, we will know right away. But, if it's lovie's design, we're top five production, almost by default.Statistically though, the rb's in tedford's system would have to have their pass catching stats looked at as well when tallying them up. Because he will have them out catching passes at close range, looking for a mismatch, yac, or a "homerun."

Please wait…

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.