Viewing 56 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Does God care about football? Justin Forsett Contributor @JForsett RSSThe Sporting News June 7, 2014  10:05pm EDT Justin Forsett is a running back for the Baltimore Ravens and contributor for Sporting News. Follow Justin Forsett on Twitter: @JForsett As a Christian athlete, I often get this question: Does God care about football?god_zps07b6076d.jpgJustin Forsett, pictured with the Jaguars (AP Photo)My response: How big is your God?The question in itself suggests that God is small and has too much on his plate to worry about football. I could never understand how somebody could believe in an all-powerful all-knowing God and believe there are certain things he just can’t handle. Football is a profession that is played by people, and God cares about people and what they do.So yes, I think he cares about football just like he cares about teachers, doctors and custodians. However, on the flip side, I’m not in agreement with the notion that God is up in heaven wearing a specific jersey rooting for one NFL team over another. If he does wear a jersey I hope it’s a Ravens one, because I would really like to win a Super Bowl before I retire.In all seriousness, I don’t believe God shows favoritism toward organizations or teams. Besides, one of the advantages of the faith is knowing that win, lose or draw, God has a purpose behind it all. Romans 8:28 says, “And we know that [a] God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” I have grown the most in my life and profession after great losses so, as believers, we can have great peace in knowing that adversity can be used for our greater good.I think the reason people have a hard time accepting that God cares about football is the fact that they forget the sport is actually an occupation. I understand we get paid to play a game, but it’s how we make a living. My typical workday schedule is loaded like most Americans. For example, my typical schedule looks like this:— Wake up at 6:30 a.m. — Lift at 7 a.m.— Grab a little breakfast at 7:45 a.m.— Special team meetings start at 8 a.m.— Team meeting at 8:45 a.m.— Offensive meetings (install plays/watch film) at 9:15 a.m.— Go outside for a walk-thru practice at 11:15 a.m.— Lunch and get dressed/taped for practice at 12:10 p.m.— Practice starts at 1:15 p.m.— Post practice meetings at 4:15 p.m.— End of the day at 5 p.m. god1_zps9cd651d2.jpgJustin Forsett (AP Photo) Being a professional football player is more than fame and fortune. The job can be highly stressful, life altering and dangerous. Players suffer head trauma, brain injuries, and paralysis in the profession. I share all this to say it's more than just a game — this is our livelihood, and this is what we do to provide for our families. We sacrifice time and risk our bodies/lives. So why wouldn’t God care?There is a Bible verse in the book of Colossian that reads,  Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord  rather than for men.  As a Christian football player, work is more than just collecting a paycheck — my profession is a way to honor and worship God. I aim to play and work in such a way that pleases him. When I’m on and off the field, I want to embody the characteristics of Jesus Christ.This doesn’t mean being a Christian equates to a soft player (see Reggie White or Brian Dawkins). It means I want to represent power under control. While I’m on the field, I want to be relentless. I want to play at a level at which my competitor is unwilling to match, and I want to give all that I have not for man’s approval, but for a higher purpose — another reason I believe God cares about football. It can be used as a vessel for his glory.I am now going into my seventh year as a player in the NFL, and I'm truly blessed to have a job I love. I believe we all have God-given gifts and talents, and I know God cares about how we use them. I don’t think it matters if you’re a nurse, flight attendant, cook or football player. God cares about what you’re doing and how you’re doing it.It’s crazy to think that just because you play a sport for a living God doesn’t care about your profession. A passage in Luke, Chapter 7 states, “Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.” After reading this verse, it’s hard to believe an attentive God that cares about the number of hairs you have on your head wouldn’t be concerned about your profession.If your occupation is a football player or truck driver, God cares and you matter.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Yes.Tim Tebow clearly cares about football.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He can be gentle as a butterfly and then murder scores of non-believers at the drop of a hat…he’s the perfect middle linebacker. Here’s a picture I drew of him…kfc.png

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Todd cares about football

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My God cares about football.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That’s interesting, I mentiond the Homer thing about “on who’s side are the gods on”, and then I read this; I’m wondering if it made the rounds. To think that these guys can’t function or are having this many problems with religion and football is a bit astonishing. Anyways, I found this movie just recently; I didn’t know it existed till just a few months ago; it’s a great human cloning generalization of the Logan’s Run idea. Logan’s Run is an idea that a people grow up in a closed environment, and they think that’s the way the world is.  They don’t generally question it; all their needs are provided for. This is just one scene in the movie!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkMCx13L4AQAnd since these guys just have bring up god, I feel free to post my Gospel of Truth, http://wwwscientifichumanism.blogspot.com/2011/04/flashgordons-gospel-of-truth.html

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Which God?Why limit it to just God, why not ask about other fictional characters like Peter Pan or Batman?

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Tebow is not fictional…although it’s true he is only a Demi-god. But a Demi-god proves the existence of a god.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tebow is not fictional...although it's true he is only a Demi-god. But a Demi-god proves the existence of a god.

I know Tebow the man isn't fictional in the way that he is a living person BUT Tebow the public persona/gimmick/character that was built up by the media is.I swear, the love that dude got you'd think he'd gone to the Browns and made them a respectable franchise, okay that's stretching it, not even God, if he existed could do that.Daft question but with Jediism being recognized as a religion in parts of the world does that now make Yoda, Vader, Skywalker, etc Gods?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Justin Forsett needs to worry about concussions and leave god to the Catholic priest

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

God cares about Michael ‘s 10 threads a day.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“I could never understand how somebody could believe in an all-powerful all-knowing God.”+1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ofcourse God cares about football… just not in Cleveland obviously.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, God hates Cleveland…….always has.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

God gave us beer… of course he cares about football.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

please God, put an end to this offseason … ugh

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hey, if that what makes him tick, gives him motivation, more power to him.  Alterraun Verner is the same way.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hey, if that what makes him tick, gives him motivation, more power to him.  Alterraun Verner is the same way.

Agreed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Vin I’m with you…am hoping the offseason ends soon.That being said, this was an article designed to give a perspective on faith in the midst of players trying to make a living at a sport and was well done.  Takes faith seriously without proselytizing.  Some apparently can't handle it...wonder if they are the same ones who were threatened by those dangerous voluntary Bible Studies at Clemson but not concerned about many other aspects of some athletes' lives that aren't as edifying.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If god did love football, he would be a freaking pats fan.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No god cares about something that’s worldly, flashy, and against all they stand for. I’m sure the cafeteria people will say otherwise. LOL

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

This figurine is not in my man cave for no reason ….jesusplayingfootball.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Saints were allowed to win a super bowl, clearly there is no god.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

where is onetruth when you need him/her?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Justin probably needs to write about football topics.  Or Religious topics.  Not both in the same article.  JMHO.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Eat dirt, starving children, I'm watching football.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This figurine is not in my man cave for no reason ....jesusplayingfootball.jpg

He really needs to fix that handoff...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

===========================================================No He does not. He cares for people. People play football and some of them He cares about. If they exercise faith in Him and His son whom He sent forth.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

sneetches.gifwhy does anyone care if another person believes in God?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

God said remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy..  why? On the 7th day God rested.. why? For football.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

===========================================================No He does not. He cares for people. People play football and some of them He cares about. If they exercise faith in Him and His son whom He sent forth.

What about Zeus? Does he care about football?

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Looking at the Chargers logo and bearing in mind that they've made it to the big dance only once and got the snot kicked out of them, I'm gonna have to say that no, Zeus does not care about football.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Looking at the Chargers logo and bearing in mind that they've made it to the big dance only once and got the snot kicked out of them, I'm gonna have to say that no, Zeus does not care about football.

The Chargers aren't Greek and are hijacking his symbol :0

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What about Zeus? Does he care about football?

Question asked, question answered. This thread may be locked now. Thanks OT!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Holy cafeteria Christian Batman!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

go watch PASSION OF THE CHRIST and then tell me if God “cares” about football

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

God said remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy..  why? On the 7th day God rested.. why? For football.

damn good one . . .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

most evidence I found shows him playing goalie in soccer

Please wait…

• meadorsp

Participant

He really needs to fix that handoff...

Two different helmets?  Obviously Jesus made the Pro Bowl.  No idea how with that hand positioning though.  Jesus, right hand high!  Yes, YOU Jesus!!!

No He does not. He cares for people. People play football and some of them He cares about.

Well does he, or doesn't he?'People' play football, ergo, he cares about them all.  Right?God is NOT picky IMHO.  He cares about us all.

If they exercise faith in Him and His son whom He sent forth.

Wait... Now they have to do calisthenics too?#ConfusedMuch?

go watch PASSION OF THE CHRIST and then tell me if God "cares" about football

Gains empirical evidence from a piece of shiete Mel Gibson movie?  Really?  Just wow.(Change username to OneImbecile)  SMHI LOVE God.  It's his fan clubs I can't stand!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

go watch PASSION OF THE CHRIST and then tell me if God "cares" about football

I don't know... carrying that cross he did look like Earl Campbell on a goal line attempt. The guy in the back of him with the whip was Bum Phillips.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That is one nice figurine , bro . Where can I get one  ??

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That’s Touchdown Jesus.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Touchdown Jesus is #Fire !

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Welcome back DJ...from your "vacation"  ;)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Welcome back DJ...from your "vacation"  ;)

Why thank you !  It was a much deserved break after I succeeded in ridding the board of the scourge that was Jdud.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That is one nice figurine , bro . Where can I get one  ??

The shark has just been jumped

Please wait…

• meadorsp

Participant

Okay.  I lol’d.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No He does not. He cares for people. People play football and some of them He cares about.

Well does he, or doesn't he?'People' play football, ergo, he cares about them all.  Right?God is NOT picky IMHO.  He cares about us all.

God runs the most exclusive club on the planet. People pick and choose what they want to fit their lifestyle so it seems like he cares about them all and they get into that club.  Sadly I lost my membership card. There's only one person who cares about them all and he's waiting for everyone who doesn't make it into the club. It's well worth it to enjoy football!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

if some bored stats major can find the data for christian athlete success vs non christian athlete, we’ll know if god exists.  plain and simple.otherwise, would you suggest that god wants to see his followers enjoy less success than the heathens? wouldn't that give his followers less opportunity to spread His message?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Most the guys in the NFL seem to give thanks to god , and many of them do prayer circles after every game . I’d say the percentage of success for christian athletes is pretty high.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Most the guys in the NFL seem to give thanks to god , and many of them do prayer circles after every game . I'd say the percentage of success for christian athletes is pretty high.

"seem" and "quantified" probably yield two very different results20-30 guys huddle around after the game, the other (53+53-30) 76, or majority 3/4ths walk off the fieldalso, of that 20-30 guys in the huddle, how many are individually successful?the guy thanking god after scoring a touchdown was probably chased by 3-4 "failing" christian defendershow many christians come and go during training camp?Maybe the more accurate question is success of christian athletes vs failure of christian athletesor maybe relative success of christians vs non-christians35-40% of NFL players identify as evangelical christian (according to slate.com), so that means 60% are non-christian.  Would be interesting to know which section holds the higher % of successful players, within its population

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Most the guys in the NFL seem to give thanks to god , and many of them do prayer circles after every game . I'd say the percentage of success for christian athletes is pretty high.

Them be cafeteria Christians. They are going down when they die I'm sad to say. Wolf in sheep's clothing! So many people think you can pray for forgiveness and sin like hell then pray for forgiveness again like Ray Lewis. It doesn't work that way. The sword says if you can't obey the laws you can see how can you obey the laws you can't see. Them people are on a one way elevator.............down.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

damn good one . . .

Yeah but does that mean the Saturday and Thursday heathen like?  :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

damn good one . . .

Nope it can all be perfectly explained...Saturday is the Sabbath for some of his followers so bammm.. he gave them college football. But God doesn't care for Thursday football that explains why there are so many college upsets and why the NFL games are so crappy. When the Browns and Jags are playing during primetime God can't be pleased.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And Friday mornings suck afterwards

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

damn good one . . .

Nope it can all be perfectly explained...Saturday is the Sabbath for some of his followers so bammm.. he gave them college football. But God doesn't care for Thursday football that explains why there are so many college upsets and why the NFL games are so crappy. When the Browns and Jags are playing during primetime God can't be pleased.

Boom ! God wins .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

if some bored stats major can find the data for christian athlete success vs non christian athlete, we'll know if god exists.  plain and simple.otherwise, would you suggest that god wants to see his followers enjoy less success than the heathens? wouldn't that give his followers less opportunity to spread His message?

Belief in a higher power can give a sense of confidence and hope. Wouldn't be surprised. Ignorance is bliss :P

Please wait…

Viewing 56 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.