Viewing 6 reply threads

• Author

• CanadianBuc

Participant

“Does history truly repeat itself?”That's something we're all going to find out over the next 3 months. This year our season has clearly not even met our super-modest expectations, but, if history DOES in fact repeat itself, we may be in store for a fun next few months. What do I mean by that? Well, let me explain.In 2005, it was Lovie Smith's 2nd season with the Chicago Bears. Not much was expected out of the 05' Bears, much like the Bucs this year. They were consistently ranked in the bottom 5 teams in all Power Rankings, and were predicted to maybe get 5-7 wins. The first 4 weeks of the season didn't do much to prove their critics wrong. The Bears started 1-3, and were written off. Everyone was ready to give up on the 05' Bears and then, something magical happened. They won 8 STRAIGHT GAMES! Ended the season 11-5, and got a FIRST ROUND BYE! They lost in the first round of the playoffs, but the fact that they even made it there was incredible. The Bears proved it was no fluke the following year when Lovie's Bears went 13-3 and lost to Peyton Manning in Super Bowl 41. Here's another one:In 2012, the best QB to come out of college in the last decade, Andrew Luck was drafted 1st overall by the Indianapolis Colts. They too, started 2-3. Then, Luck lead the Colts to a 9-2 finish and they, like the 05' Bears went 11-5 and advanced to the NFL Playoffs. So, to conclude. Lovie Smith's 2nd season with the Bears started the exact same way as his with us. I don't think any of us are expecting it to finish like it did that year, but, you never know. Also, the last QB to get picked #1 overall before Jameis Winston, Andrew Luck, led his team out of a similar early season hole to make the playoffs, and if our #1 overall QB can do the same we should be in good shape.I'm not saying that this IS or SHOULD happen, I'm just saying it might. Let's give Lovie and Jameis more then a few games before writing them off and find out if, history truly does repeat itself.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can’t lump Lovie and Winston together. One is a rookie who is expected to go through growing pains and improve over the course of the year. The other is a veteran HC with years of coaching experience that just seems out of his depth with no clear roadmap for improvement. If things don’t get better, Lovie will be the first to go.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Imvho, jameis is somewhere between leftwich and freeman right now.Sure, COULD he revert back to the dominate player he was in college? ...you bet. Is it likely? Not by much.We can look at other players stats, we can check what other qbs have went through, we can even see what other qbs ate in the morning.The fact remains, when i watch winston play football, at the pro level, it still looks like he's playing in college. I really dont think any qb in the nfl has as bad footwork as winston does. Thats including jff AND mccown.I don't believe he will ever overcome the accuracy issues, or the footwork. His style worked in college, but i very seriously doubt he will be a franchise qb in the pros. I hate to say it, because i was one of the ones begging for people to listen to reason predraft, and just hoped for the best afterwards, because i figured we at least had a "good" or "better" qb than mccown (and that alone was was awsome to me). Turns out, maybe a lot of us had the wool pulled over our eyes, in one way or another. Even i thought he would be better than this.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Man I kinda like Leftwich and It’s irritating me how he keeps getting brought up.  Go Herd! Anyway, I keep saying it's going to be all #swagdimes headed into the Atlanta game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also, I might win the lottery if I play it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Imvho, jameis is somewhere between leftwich and freeman right now.Sure, COULD he revert back to the dominate player he was in college? ...you bet. Is it likely? Not by much.We can look at other players stats, we can check what other qbs have went through, we can even see what other qbs ate in the morning.The fact remains, when i watch winston play football, at the pro level, it still looks like he's playing in college. I really dont think any qb in the nfl has as bad footwork as winston does. Thats including jff AND mccown.I don't believe he will ever overcome the accuracy issues, or the footwork. His style worked in college, but i very seriously doubt he will be a franchise qb in the pros. I hate to say it, because i was one of the ones begging for people to listen to reason predraft, and just hoped for the best afterwards, because i figured we at least had a "good" or "better" qb than mccown (and that alone was was awsome to me). Turns out, maybe a lot of us had the wool pulled over our eyes, in one way or another. Even i thought he would be better than this.

Well said. The best he will end up IMO is Jim Plunkett after the Raiders signed him many years ago. A really good  team, dominant O’line and run game, speedy receivers, TE, and Defense. He had been a top draft pick finally given up on by the Patriots. Raiders were bad at QB until Plunkett. He took a while to overcome all his previous issues, but eventually this became a dominant team, and Plunkett an efficient game manager…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"Does history truly repeat itself?"That's something we're all going to find out over the next 3 months. This year our season has clearly not even met our super-modest expectations, but, if history DOES in fact repeat itself, we may be in store for a fun next few months. What do I mean by that? Well, let me explain.In 2005, it was Lovie Smith's 2nd season with the Chicago Bears. Not much was expected out of the 05' Bears, much like the Bucs this year. They were consistently ranked in the bottom 5 teams in all Power Rankings, and were predicted to maybe get 5-7 wins. The first 4 weeks of the season didn't do much to prove their critics wrong. The Bears started 1-3, and were written off. Everyone was ready to give up on the 05' Bears and then, something magical happened. They won 8 STRAIGHT GAMES! Ended the season 11-5, and got a FIRST ROUND BYE! They lost in the first round of the playoffs, but the fact that they even made it there was incredible. The Bears proved it was no fluke the following year when Lovie's Bears went 13-3 and lost to Peyton Manning in Super Bowl 41. Here's another one:In 2012, the best QB to come out of college in the last decade, Andrew Luck was drafted 1st overall by the Indianapolis Colts. They too, started 2-3. Then, Luck lead the Colts to a 9-2 finish and they, like the 05' Bears went 11-5 and advanced to the NFL Playoffs. So, to conclude. Lovie Smith's 2nd season with the Bears started the exact same way as his with us. I don't think any of us are expecting it to finish like it did that year, but, you never know. Also, the last QB to get picked #1 overall before Jameis Winston, Andrew Luck, led his team out of a similar early season hole to make the playoffs, and if our #1 overall QB can do the same we should be in good shape.I'm not saying that this IS or SHOULD happen, I'm just saying it might. Let's give Lovie and Jameis more then a few games before writing them off and find out if, history truly does repeat itself.

Aww, guys....this is cute.

Please wait…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.