Viewing 60 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Draft Visits Indicate Tampa Bay Buccaneers Have Interest in Drafting a QuarterbackBy Matt Tidcombe - Apr 10th, 2014 at 11:50 am  qb_zps5960e168.jpgJim Cowsert-USA TODAY SportsAs the draft inches closer, NFL draft prospects have begun visiting teams for workouts and interviews. So far, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have brought in over a dozen players for visits – they are allowed to bring in a maximum 30 players. However, one position that the Bucs appear to be focusing on is quarterback as they have had four players come in for visits so far. Teddy Bridgewater of Louisville, Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M, Garrett Gilbert of SMU and Jimmy Garoppolo of Eastern Illinois have all stopped by One Buc Place since visits began on Monday. There may be even more quarterbacks that come in for visits in the near future but it’s becoming clear that the Bucs seem to be focusing on a quarterback at some point in this draft. Bridgewater and Manziel are considered two of the three top quarterback prospects in the draft, along with Blake Bortles of UCF, and it’s likely the only way the Bucs could draft one of those three players is with the number seven pick. Garoppolo and Gilbert aren’t considered first round draft picks so the Bucs have the option of taking either player later in the draft. Garoppolo is ranked as the fifth best quarterback in the draft by CBS Sports and projected as a second round draft choice, while Gilbert is considered a seventh round pick. Bucs GM Jason Licht has already said he thinks that there are franchise quarterbacks in this years draft and has gone so far as to say that they may not be the obvious top three quarterbacks, indicating that they may be available in the later rounds of the draft. “You can never pass on a franchise quarterback if you feel that quarterback is a franchise level player,” Licht told Booger McFarland on 98.7 The Fan last month. Remember, Licht was part of the New England Patriots front office that selected Tom Brady in the sixth round in the 2000 draft. With Josh McCown, Mike Glennon, and Mike Kafka the current quarterbacks on the roster one thing appears to be clear: the Bucs don’t have their franchise quarterback right now and perhaps that’s why they continue to scour the 2014 quarterback draft class for that potential franchise cornerstone.http://thepewterplank.com/2014/04/10/draft-visits-indicate-tampa-bay-buccaneers-interest-drafting-quarterback/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gilbert is gawd awful. I’m not even sure he should rate as draftable. I know this is smokescreen time of the year but the effort into so many QBs seems like overkill on smoke at this point.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gilbert is not god awful. He’s a great prospect for Tedford to work with .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idznK3qF9Ochttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJw53hupYzQ

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Bucs are not taking a QB with any pick in the first three rounds. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gilbert is not god awful. He's a great prospect for Tedford to work with .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idznK3qF9Ochttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJw53hupYzQ

No, he sucks I've watched him at Texas and SMU. 100%. Spare.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you are comparing him to 1st round picks he sucks. As a guy Tedford can stash on the practice squad and develop ? He does not suck. Hed be a good flyer late in this draft.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Personally as far as QBs go, I’d rather we go big or go home. If we aren’t grabbing a top 3 QB in round 1 or MAYBE Jimmy G or Carr in round 2 then I’d rather leave the position alone and roll with Glennon and McCown for the year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Murray?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Retweeted by Pewter Report Ian Rapoport ?@RapSheet  · 1h  Fresno State QB Derek Carr is set to visit the Tampa Bay #Bucs on Wednesday, source says. He’ll visit the #Browns following week

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We got some breaking news over here folks, Tampa may draft a QB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Personally as far as QBs go, I'd rather we go big or go home. If we aren't grabbing a top 3 QB in round 1 or MAYBE Jimmy G or Carr in round 2 then I'd rather leave the position alone and roll with Glennon and McCown for the year.

There is truth to this. The numbers show that QBs either come from the top 45 picks or completely off the radar like Kurt Warner or Tony Romo.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Personally as far as QBs go, I'd rather we go big or go home. If we aren't grabbing a top 3 QB in round 1 or MAYBE Jimmy G or Carr in round 2 then I'd rather leave the position alone and roll with Glennon and McCown for the year.

There is truth to this. The numbers show that QBs either come from the top 45 picks or completely off the radar like Kurt Warner or Tony Romo.

Honest question - are the old numbers as useful anymore? CBA changes have seemed to skew things in round 1, but the game (in college and pros) has changed a lot. Game has gotten more QB-friendly, and OC more open-minded on players.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They must not be sold on McNown…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Retweeted by Pewter Report Ian Rapoport ?@RapSheet  · 1h  Fresno State QB Derek Carr is set to visit the Tampa Bay #Bucs on Wednesday, source says. He’ll visit the #Browns following week

What no way I was told on this very site that all these qbs are bums and that the bucs and lovie and licht should love glennon. He deserves a chance to start this year.  If this qb class is so bad why are we bringing in almost every qb for a visit. Weird .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They must not be sold on McNown...

He's old and mediocre.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wait, just because they bring in 5 QBs for visits doesn’t Mean we will draft one! ;)

Please wait…

• dalbuc

Participant

They are bringing in every QB..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Honest question - are the old numbers as useful anymore? CBA changes have seemed to skew things in round 1, but the game (in college and pros) has changed a lot. Game has gotten more QB-friendly, and OC more open-minded on players.

I would say those numbers are as up to date as it gets. Before this current group of players, it seemed there was more stratification for where good QBs came from.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would say those numbers are as up to date as it gets. Before this current group of players, it seemed there was more stratification for where good QBs came from.

Yeah I take that back - wasn't thinking about how far 45 went. I'm also wondering if Foles, Wilson, and to a lesser extent Glennon are pure anomalies or a sign of something different. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah I take that back - wasn't thinking about how far 45 went. I'm also wondering if Foles, Wilson, and to a lesser extent Glennon are pure anomalies or a sign of something different.

Yeah, the general theory with pick 45 is for all the teams with top 15 picks who need QBs but like a position player better will usually come back and get one in the 2nd round. If all the teams with bad QBs pass on you twice, there's usually a reason. Foles is the one I don't understand at all. He had all the tools you would want and no one in the NFL nor draft community paid him much of any attention. Wilson is completely understandable because many people loved him they just thought he was too short. As for Glennon, I don't think we should anoint him anything yet. He's closer to Trent Edwards than Foles and Wilson. We've seen tons of players like Glennon who look ok but not good enough.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Drafting manziel would be a very good move for this team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That’s where this crop of QB’s leaves me.  You have the Murray, McCarron, Mettenberger set that will all be available in the 4th round or later and yet everyone is clamoring for the QB’s that have more questions than the first three I mentioned or they are clamoring for Bridgewater, who won’t be there when we draft anyway. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Drafting manziel would be a very good move for this team.

I heard dat!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Bucs are not taking a QB with any pick in the first three rounds.

#denial

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As for Glennon, I don't think we should anoint him anything yet. He's closer to Trent Edwards than Foles and Wilson. We've seen tons of players like Glennon who look ok but not good enough.

I agree - I include him just because he looks better than the guys who went before him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Since so many seem to be bent on following the Kansas City model…Last year, they met with all of the top QB prospects in the pre-draft... didn't pick any of them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think they will select a qb with one of the draft choices. I don’t think it will be in the first round.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hate is right. You’re in denial if you think the bucs aren’t drafting  qb.Although, besides that fact, everything else about it is indeed up for questioning.They'll probably do the normal boring routine and draft a low round qb, but I'd rather they do something bold and exciting.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I could see them jumping back into the first round to draft Carr or Garroppolo if one of them is still available in the late part of round one.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hate is right. You're in denial if you think the bucs aren't drafting  qb.Although, besides that fact, everything else about it is indeed up for questioning.They'll probably do the normal boring routine and draft a low round qb, but I'd rather they do something bold and exciting.

We'll see.  I'll be at the draft party and then on the message board.  I have no ego that needs to be right but I am very certain I am on the right side of this one. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I guess you think Kafka is staying on the roster then?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When I say they won’t draft a QB I mean not in the first 4 rounds.  Anything done after that is a crapshoot anyway.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think it’s fairly unlikely that the Bucs draft a quarterback.  As far as Kafka goes, third string quarterback isn’t exactly a high-priority position.I just don't think it's anything like a lock that they won't draft one.  Way, waaaaay stranger things have happened.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m of the belief that the Bucs either will draft QB or they won’t draft a QB.I think I'm right.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm of the belief that the Bucs either will draft QB or they won't draft a QB.I think I'm right.

Charlie_Sheen_Winning.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm of the belief that the Bucs either will draft QB or they won't draft a QB.I think I'm right.

Buggsy disagrees and says you're a butthurt slugger

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's where this crop of QB's leaves me.  You have the Murray, McCarron, Mettenberger set that will all be available in the 4th round or later and yet everyone is clamoring for the QB's that have more questions than the first three I mentioned or they are clamoring for Bridgewater, who won't be there when we draft anyway.

Bridgewater will drop.  He looks like Aunt Jemima.  Who wants a QB that looks like Aunt Jemima?[img width=600 height=328]http://ioneblackamericaweb.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/jemima-660.jpg?w=630[/img]Tell me that doesn't look like Teddy Bridgewater.

that’s it!  I knew he reminded me of someone and I just couldn’t put my finger on it. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wonder if Skull and Java wash each other’s hoods and robes.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

now you are really reaching….he does look like Aunt Jemima[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfMHjBwqKAwjhGUyJvN0lRmWsFl2LS8VbvPIqKb3MfOREEuUSn[/img]

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I do like that syrup, but wouldn’t want her as QB of the Bucs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

f.gif

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ahh…..I see that Java and Skull are ready for the draft party!hillbillies.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t think they go QB at all in the draft. Let Glennon and McNown battle it out.  And if that doesn’t pan out, Famous Jaimus to the rescue.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't think they go QB at all in the draft. Let Glennon and McNown battle it out.  And if that doesn't pan out, Famous Jaimus to the rescue.

You can't even begin to count on drafting famous.We're a 500 team or close with lovie at the helm, and to trade up to get him would really cost a kings ransom.Which is exactly why they should do some long term investing now and draft a qb while they can. Because it will be a few years before we suck this bad again imo.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't think they go QB at all in the draft. Let Glennon and McNown battle it out.  And if that doesn't pan out, Famous Jaimus to the rescue.

You can't even begin to count on drafting famous.We're a 500 team or close with lovie at the helm, and to trade up to get him would really cost a kings ransom.Which is exactly why they should do some long term investing now and draft a qb while they can. Because it will be a few years before we suck this bad again imo.

There will be no QB drafted in this years draft.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

After they pick Manziel in the first round, I agree.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm starting to think that you'll be very disappointed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You don’t interview and have attendance at that many QBs pro days as a smoke screen. They will be drafting a QB and hopefully its Manziel or Bridgewater.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You don't interview and have attendance at that many QBs pro days as a smoke screen. They will be drafting a QB and hopefully its Manziel or Bridgewater.

Sure ya do , if you want people to actually believe it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You don't interview and have attendance at that many QBs pro days as a smoke screen. They will be drafting a QB and hopefully its Manziel or Bridgewater.

Look, you can try to convince yourself otherwise if you must.  Tampa is not drafting a QB. Four weeks??? Welcome to Tampa Robinson, welcome to Tampa!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I really want a QB or WR but the closer we get to the draft the more I’m bracing myself for us to draft a lineman. I hope it isn’t Lewan because I don’t want the 3rd best T in the draft when we pick this high. I’d love to see Teddy or JFF as a Buc but the G position has been so thoroughly ignored that I can’t help but think there’s a good chance we draft a big ugly, let them battle it out with Dotson and move the loser to RG. Having said that, I’m hoping for a G later on and a QB or WR in rounds 1/2.I don't think there's any smokescreen to all the QB visits. To me, Licht's comment (paraphrasing) that they'll "draft a QB but it's not the ones we're all talking about" is the thing that stinks of smokescreen. This team needs depth, that's what the later rounds are for. If we're going to grab a QB it'll be early or not at all.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Picking Manziel would be against everything Smith stands for in a player.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

only if he's against winning

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

lol.Excuse me, I meant to say lol.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Actually, it means we have serious questions about this years QBs. Of course it would be good to bring in a 2nd young guy behind McCown, but probably only gonna happen if we trade down to get more picks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have said that about Schiano. But Lovie, not so much. He may be growing weary of trying to win games with his defense. After all, he/they hired Tedford.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yup anti. Tedford is indeed billed as a qb guru. Seems awfully timely to me.But I don't want to read too much into that, because we also have a gm who's claim to fame was turning trash into treasure (and for some reason we just had Gilbert in for a look).As I've said before, a qb (and wr) will be drafted. The question however, is where will they be.I'm just hoping lovie and licht have the testicular fortitude to draft a top qb if they fall. Imo, they might as well just groom glennon for the job, if their alternative is to draft anyone outside of the top three.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

HATE has jumped on board the JFF bandwagon?  Damn.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hate has been on it for awhile now.Hate knows. Foster ain't got sh1t on him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

HATE has jumped on board the JFF bandwagon?  Damn.

LOL....i've never been against Manziel.

Please wait…

Viewing 60 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.