Viewing 18 reply threads

• Author

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Yeah I said it.

And since we are on the subject let continue with that train of thought:

1. NFL is a passing league

Bucs FO needs to continue to add talent to the OL (particular pass blocking OT) and add a true #2 WR on the outside. Go all in and sign a FA WR and draft a WR in the top three picks if you have to.

2. Bucs shouldn’t panic in the draft

This draft is DEEP at WR and RB, so it is not disaster if the Bucs first two picks are not at RB and WR. But on the other hand if the Bucs don’t draft a RB AND WR I would be utterly disappointed.

3. Rest of resources once WR/RB/OL have been addressed should go to bolstering defensive line depth. Safety upgrade would be nice. But not likely in the cards unless a lot of things fall in the Bucs favor in the draft or free agency.

So in summary, fix the lines, upgrade WR2, add a young three down RB, possibly upgrade one of the safety spots.

P.S.

Adding a free agent kicker would be a big upgrade to this team. Playoff teams need reliable kickers.

Do the Bucs want to be a playoff team? Start looking at upgrading the kicker spot and stop worrying about drafting a RB in the first round.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Take the best player available at a position of need. I couldn’t disagree more about drafting a running back in the first round is overrated, Scott Reynolds did an analysis exactly on this subject and showed us that the best of the best running backs through the history of the NFL were first round picks.

Please wait…

• Do_it_Big_Bucs

Participant

I think Dallas is very happy with Ezekiel Elliott, whom they took in the first round last year.   Bottom line, it comes down to the player.   There are only 2 RB’s I would consider drafting in the first round this year.  Fournette and Cook.  Neither will be there when the Bucs draft, so the Bucs need to take the higher graded player at Tackle or WR in the first round.

If either Fournette OR Cook is still on the board when the Bucs draft it will be the fastest the commissioner has ran back to the podium in history.

Please wait…

• XFactor

Participant

In general yea drafting a RB in the first round is overrated. I think if you have one that is in the “special” category you take that chance. Problem with that is it’s still hit or miss. See Trent Richardson, Darren McFadden, Reggie Bush and on and on and on..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Of the top 25 rushers in the history of the NFL, only about 4 were not drafted in the first round.

Please wait…

• XFactor

Participant

Of the top 25 rushers in the history of the NFL, only about 4 were not drafted in the first round.

How many of those top 25 rushers have been drafted in the last 20 years?

Please wait…

• Biggs3535

Participant

It depends on where in the first round.  Only the elite guys, like Adrian Petersen, should be picked in the top 10.  Later in the round is a different story.  Usually the teams picking in the bottom-half of the draft have quality players at other positions, namely at QB.  Those teams can afford to use a first-rounder on a top-notch RB prospect.

Cook and Fournette are the only two RB’s I think should be first round picks, and I expect both of them to be gone by Tampa’s selection.  If one is still available, I’d have no problem with the selection.  Pick BPA and everything else will sort itself out.  You’ll never regret drafting a Pro-Bowl player, regardless of position.

Please wait…

• BucNCane

Participant

Edgerrin James
      Adrian Peterson

LaDainian Tomlinson

Warrick Dunn

Adrian Peterson

Fred Taylor

Steven Jackson

Jamal lewis

So 8 in the first round.

2 others in the second Frank Gore and Corey Dillon.

Please wait…

• XFactor

Participant

Edgerrin James Adrian Peterson LaDainian Tomlinson Warrick Dunn Adrian Peterson Fred Taylor Steven Jackson Jamal lewis So 8 in the first round. 2 others in the second Frank Gore and Corey Dillon.

8 out of 25…  You go back to 2000 it’s only 4.  You go back to 2005 and it’s only 2. It’s a different era my man.

Please wait…

• BucNCane

Participant

Is it a different Era or does it take time to actually become a top 25 rusher? Could be both.

I bet if you go to 2010 there’s 0.

Please wait…

• Bucman

Participant

You can’t compare RBs drafted in previous days of the NFL to todays NFL. Teams use multiple backs systems now and its a pass happy league. I’d rather wait and take a RB later in the draft and draft an effective OL and DL.

As great as Zeke is, he is running behind one the best OLs the past decade. Doug Martin would have success there.

Please wait…

• MichaelMyersIsABucsFan

Participant

Is it a different Era or does it take time to actually become a top 25 rusher? Could be both. I bet if you go to 2010 there’s 0.

If you go back to 2012, only Melvin Gordon has had a QB as good as Winston is. 2010-2012 only Ryan Matthews and Mark Ingram have a QB as good as or better than Winston. For Tampa a guy like Dalvin Cook would be amazing.

Please wait…

• XFactor

Participant

Is it a different Era or does it take time to actually become a top 25 rusher? Could be both. I bet if you go to 2010 there’s 0.

It’s a different era.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Two metrics I look at:

ROI, and value…

RBs tend to be low on ROI, and over valued… That doesn’t mean you can’t find a steal, but teams like the splash names; especially the bad teams.

You’ll see Fournette go earlier than he should. You’ll see Cook go earlier than they should.

If either fell to us I would pass on both, but my choice would be Cook if I had to choose.

ROI – Cook should be production for 8 years, so that’s decent.

Value – if he falls that far, the value is decent enough to warrant the selection (although I would still disagree philosophically.)

Please wait…

• warrenfb12

Participant

I would be pretty crushed if Licht took RB in round 1. Not as bad as kicker in round 2 though.

Please wait…

• XFactor

Participant

Two metrics I look at: ROI, and value… RBs tend to be low on ROI, and over valued… That doesn’t mean you can’t find a steal, but teams like the splash names; especially the bad teams. You’ll see Fournette go earlier than he should. You’ll see Cook go earlier than they should. If either fell to us I would pass on both, but my choice would be Cook if I had to choose. ROI – Cook should be production for 8 years, so that’s decent. Value – if he falls that far, the value is decent enough to warrant the selection (although I would still disagree philosophically.)

Just curious what makes you think Cook will be a 8+ year RB?  I pretty much see it as a crap shoot as far as predicting longevity.

Please wait…

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

I am not against taking a RB in round 1 (I drove the Stephen Jackson bus to the ditch), but that RB needs to be the complete back and be a hard worker.

The difference between pro and collegiate RB’s is the ability to study film and work hard reading blocks.  This is why a rookie like Peyton Barber succeeded.  Barber succeeded because he has a knack for reading and following his blocks and I look forward to his development.  But if Barber had breakaway speed or elite power he could make teams pays with his elite reading ability aka vision ala Clinton Portis.

Speaking of Clinton Portis….it seems to me the value of RB’s drafted in rounds 2 and 3 are better than RBs picked late in the first round. Just my two cents.

Please wait…

• Northern Rep

Participant

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Two metrics I look at: ROI, and value… RBs tend to be low on ROI, and over valued… That doesn’t mean you can’t find a steal, but teams like the splash names; especially the bad teams. You’ll see Fournette go earlier than he should. You’ll see Cook go earlier than they should. If either fell to us I would pass on both, but my choice would be Cook if I had to choose. ROI – Cook should be production for 8 years, so that’s decent. Value – if he falls that far, the value is decent enough to warrant the selection (although I would still disagree philosophically.)

Just curious what makes you think Cook will be a 8+ year RB? I pretty much see it as a crap shoot as far as predicting longevity.

He won’t be an every down back… IMO I don’t see him eclipsing 350 carries in a season (which IMO is a good philosophy for a stud RB.) If he carries 275-300 per season, statistically I would wager he can be highly productive for 6-8 years. Also he is 21, so that would mean 29 when he starts to see his production drop off.

It’s all a crap shoot tho

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am not against taking a RB in round 1 (I drove the Stephen Jackson bus to the ditch), but that RB needs to be the complete back and be a hard worker. The difference between pro and collegiate RB’s is the ability to study film and work hard reading blocks. This is why a rookie like Peyton Barber succeeded. Barber succeeded because he has a knack for reading and following his blocks and I look forward to his development. But if Barber had breakaway speed or elite power he could make teams pays with his elite reading ability aka vision ala Clinton Portis. Speaking of Clinton Portis….it seems to me the value of RB’s drafted in rounds 2 and 3 are better than RBs picked late in the first round. Just my two cents.

The biggest thing on RBs is letting them drop and getting their value at a premium. If you reach on one, you will most likely get burned. If one falls to you, it might make more sense to pull the trigger.

Charles Sims was a Rd 3 RB, and that was a HUGE reach. Just one example…

Please wait…

• Northern Rep

Participant

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/sort/rushingYards/year/2016/seasontype/2

Please wait…

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.