Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 26 reply threads

• Author

• Anonymous

Participant

Alabama ISIS bride’s father sues Trump administration over citizenship, seeks her return

Ahmed Ali Muthana filed a lawsuit on Thursday in federal court in Washington, DC, to prevent what he calls an “unlawful attempt” by the United States to rescind his daughter’s citizenship.

At age 19, Hoda Muthana, who is from Hoover, Alabama, traveled to Syria to join ISIS.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/alabama-isis-brides-father-sues-trump-administration-over-citizenship-seeks-her-return/ar-BBTVxlf?OCID=ansmsnnews11

• Anonymous

Inactive

1897 in America

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

We only know one side of the story, that is the plaintiff’s petition which naturally puts forth the very best narrative.

Time will tell if there is another side to the story.

I have a friend who was an ambassador from France to the US for about 10 years.

He still lives in the US, but he is not a US citizen. Cannot vote.

I have no idea how this will be resolved.

But if she has a history of saying inflammatory things against the US, then it is questionable how things will turn out.

If it was a simple immigration situation, she wouldn’t have to sue.

My understanding is that a child born in the US to a foreign diplomat does not come under US jurisdiction, and therefore is not automatically a US Citizen.

Her expressed bitterness at the time she left, may be her undoing.

Remain intimately at the heart of experience.

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

Today surfaced an immigration problem in my own immediate family.

Totally solid guy from Egypt.  Both his parents are MD’s.

Came here 6 years ago.  Went to a US college for 4 yrs, did well and graduated.

Immediately got a job in NY, and is liked very much by his employer and is in the process of being promoted.

Young guy applied for a US citizenship but got caught up in a lottery and was not selected.

Today immigration stepped in.  The odds seem to favor deportation.

Trump has been very vocal about how backwards the US immigration laws are.

Trump  wants to keep those young people who come and get educated in the US because he feels that can be helpful to a growing economy.

But these people face deportation when their education visas expire.

Meanwhile poor, uneducated people cross our Southern Boarder.

Could anything be more illogical??

Democrats could easily co-operate to remedy the most illogical aspects of the US immigration  policies.

I will probably end up writing a letter to Trump on behalf of the young man involved.

• Anonymous

Inactive

“But if she has a history of saying inflammatory things against the US, then it is questionable how things will turn out.”

Wtf???????

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Trump model is to turn back time, to go illegal and force others to sue to protect their rights.

A President cannot use executive powers to revoke citizenship. Further, the status of her father as a diplomat, is an attempt to go back to the 1890s, to say the Supreme Court was wrong and being born in the US does not create citizenship

If you see that this is their approach it becomes obvious why they are stacking the courts and why they fought so hard for Kavanaugh.

In sum, a dying political party (GOP) is trying to accomplish judicially what it cannot electorally

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ironicallly, the GOP has always been the party to cry about judicial activism and legislating from the bench

• Anonymous

Inactive

Both parties try to exert or bloat their power… diminish the other.

But make no mistake about it, Trump wants to be president for life…

He admires other powerful dictators

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

Mr.Crown:

What legal path can you outline for the young woman to get back in the US???

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mr.Crown:

What legal path can you outline for the young woman to get back in the US???

Thought the article said they have already filed suit?

This is the Imperial Trump. Break the law with impunity because you have the power, if not the authority.

Suprised that none of you seem to care about Trumps tactics. The rule of law means nothing when you like the result? Travel ban, national emergency, citizenship.

• Anonymous

Inactive

By the way, why wouldn’t she just enter the country at the Southern Border?

;-)

• Anonymous

Inactive

One correction, the diplomat issue is a factual dispute. The lawsuit includes a letter (presumably from the Yemeni govt) stating that her father was no longer a diplomat when she was born.

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

Even though the plaintiff’s petition says she is a US citizen, it could be that whether she is actually a citizen is an important point of controversy.

The law is very clear that the child of a foreign diplomat does not come under US jurisdiction. For example the  US could do nothing about enforcing schooling.

I would imagine that she applied to come to the US thru proper channels and was refused. And that may be because of her rants about “Americans should kill themselves etc.”

Then her father got an immigration lawyer and he filed a lawsuit.

In the petition  she says she is sorry for her past actions. So we can assume that the lawyer realizes that her past actions could be a problem.

And that is why I ask you to spell out your idea of a legal path, because if she fails on the citizenship issue, I think the odds are against her.

It would not be a Trump decision, but just the immigration office following their procedures.

You have to wonder if that letter about the status of her father was introduced at the time of her first application.The judge who hears the case is in no way bound to believe the letter is valid.

Just have to wait and let the wheels of justice grind out a verdict.

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

And as a guess,

I think the US knows who she is and if she tried to enter by the southern boarder, she would be soon apprehended, and that would be the end of any chance of getting into the US.

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

Crown:

It is my understand that the Obama administration ruled in 2016, that this young lady is not a US citizen.

Furthermore she is on tape advising getting in cars and doing drive by shootings.

Also in celebration of July 4th, she advised getting in trucks and running people over.

And her lawyers are supplied by Counsel on American-Islam Relations  CAIR.

This looks like a hard case to win in an American court.

• Anonymous

Inactive

IB, I think you’ve given me some insight into the disconnect between us and between me and Trumpettes generally.

You keep discussing the merits of her case when the issue is not the merits of her case it’s the absence of Due Process.

I couldn’t care less about some ISIS bride. I care (and you should too) about this TRUTH from her lawsuit:

“Citizenship is a core right under the Constitution, and once recognized should not be able to be unilaterally revoked by tweet—no matter how egregious the intervening conduct may be.”

The burden is on the government, meaning she is a citizen unless and until the government proves – in a court of law – that she is not. Otherwise, we are back to the English system, with a King. If the King declares you are not a citizen, you are not and you must sue the King to prove you are?

As far as I can tell, she’s never received Due Process and if I am right about that we should all be appalled (and terrified)

• Anonymous

Inactive

Administrations come and go. One is Republican, the next Democrat. The Constitution and the rule of law are why our Repubkic survives the repeated transitions. If you don’t speak up because it’s your guy breaking the law then the whole system collapses on itself.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ironicallly, the GOP has always been the party to cry about judicial activism and legislating from the bench

Crickets = hypocrisy, right?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/trump-admin-files-more-briefs-religious-liberty-cases-obama-bush-n974531

This is not your grandfather’s GOP. True conservativism is dead. Cultural conservatives remain.

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

Crown:

You assume the young lady  was a US citizen.

But the way I understand the situation, the young lady went thru a process in 2016 and it was decided she never had been a citizen because she was a child of a diplomat.

So “due process” of removing her citizenship does not seem to apply, because first she has to establish she was once a citizen, and the only ruling I know about in 2016 said she never had been a citizen.

Whatever “due process” the young lady is entitled to,  she will receive during her trial.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Crown:

You assume the young lady was a US citizen.

But the way I understand the situation, the young lady went thru a process in 2016 and it was decided she never had been a citizen because she was a child of a diplomat.

So “due process” of removing her citizenship does not seem to apply, because first she has to establish she was once a citizen, and the only ruling I know about in 2016 said she never had been a citizen.

Whatever “due process” the young lady is entitled to, she will receive during her trial.

I may have the facts wrong or you may misunderstand but if I have the facts right AND THERE WAS NO PROCESS previously then this is WAY off:

IB – “Whatever “due process” the young lady is entitled to, she will receive during her trial.”

Because you are essentially saying the POTUS should break the law and put the onus on the person to overcome his lawlessness.

What credible information do you have that says she received due process in 2016? She was born in the US, she lived in the US for 17 years, was attending a US college, she held a US passport (how did she get that?)

• Anonymous

Inactive

From the US A today article

Shibly, the family’s Florida-based legal representative, shared with USA TODAY an official U.N. document apparently substantiating this claim. The plaintiffs also argue that the U.S. immigration authorities previously accepted this document from the UN as the basis from which to issue Muthana a U.S. passport in 2005 and then renew it in 2014.

allegedly she has had two passports. No mention of 2016 due process

• Anonymous

Inactive

According to one article, in 2016 she received a revocation letter, but that is not due process. here’s the process, if you care

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartK-Chapter5.html

this assumes she has conferred citizenship by birth, which must be the correct status because that is what Trump says was wrong.

• Anonymous

Inactive

“No. While lawful permanent residents, or green card holders, can be deported if they commit certain crimes while they have that status, once a green card holder is naturalized, they are treated like any other citizen. The government can strip native-born or naturalized citizens of their citizenship for a narrow set of reasons, including naturalization in another country with the intent of renouncing U.S. citizenship, serving in the armed forces of another country engaged in hostilities against the United States, or serving in a government of a foreign country after acquiring citizenship there. However, denaturalization occurs only for naturalized citizens if they committed a disqualifying offense before gaining citizenship and also falsified or failed to disclose it on their immigration application or naturalization petition. For example, the government could not denaturalize Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, a naturalized citizen who committed the Boston Marathon bombings; however, it successfully pursued denaturalization against five men in Florida, Illinois, and Texas, who hid evidence of past sex crimes to gain citizenship.”

just in case she is alleged to be naturalized citizen

• Anonymous

Participant

Seeing as Obama already normalized drone strikes against US citizens, even if she were somehow granted that status … See title.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Way to contribute. Are your parents home?

:-)

• Anonymous

Participant

Administrations come and go. One is Republican, the next Democrat. The Constitution and the rule of law are why our Repubkic survives the repeated transitions. If you don’t speak up because it’s your guy breaking the law then the whole system collapses on itself.

Collapse is coming. One side has repeatedly done whatever necessary to gain victory. Attempting to win with both hands tied behind your back while your opponent slips brass knuckles in their gloves is a recipe for idiots claiming their moral victory as they lose yet another election/policy/law.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Such a freaking whiny snowflake

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.