Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 17 reply threads

• Author

• Madman

Participant

Dirk and team need to trust the analytics and go for it more to be a contender.

I couldn’t help but think Dirk would’ve kicked the field goal on 4th and 1 at the goal line and punted with 6 minutes left with 4th and 1 at their own 45. Those two plays were the difference.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/19/the-eagles-are-the-nfls-version-of-moneyball/

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

• The Anti-Java

Participant

I think analytics are good to a point. But you cant go all in on them. Sashi Brown was all in on the analytics with his stint with the Browns. And he made some bizarre choices.
      They finally sent him packing and brought in a more traditional football guy in John Dorsey.

• Madman

Participant

Maybe he had bad analytics?

I agree you can’t blindly follow the analytics but they can play an important role in decision making versus ‘your gut.’

Data like this is important to consider:

The Eagles have scored a touchdown or field goal on 13 of the 18 drives in which they converted a fourth down, totaling 85 points (4.7 points per drive) in situations where they might have punted or kicked a field goal instead of trying for a touchdown, according to ESPN Stats & Information. When they have gone for it on fourth down and failed, the other team didn’t score any points on the subsequent drive all season,

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

Part of those 4th down analytics that isn’t shown is that the Eagles had the 4th ranked defense in terms of yards and points. If your defense is great, missing on 4th down isn’t that big of a deal, but if you rank in the 20’s, that’s huge.

• Ken Grant

Participant

I’ve been screaming this for years and years. NFL coaches by-and-large are way too conservative and its costs them games. Dirk is absolutely in that camp and we have all watched as we have pissed way late leads playing not to lose.

• Anonymous

Inactive

If the head coach has the buy-in of the owner on the go for the analytics then what does the coach have to lose by going for it?

I like the concept of agreeing to a strategy up front

• Madman

Participant

Ron and JP are talking about this today with Rick Stroud, interestingly enough.

Dirk and the Bucs only had 8 4th down attempts last season. That was second to last in the league.

• GottaJaboo

Blocked

Dirk calls a game like a scared woman. In the red zone he goes to the same well over and over and over again. We need to start faster and go for it more often.

GoldsonAges on 2nd round pick, Safety, Justin Evans, out of Texas A&M – “coaching can’t fix this”.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Does this article or any other article say what the Eagles experience was like the year before? I ask because at least one article I read seem to say that they’ve had really good success this year which makes me wonder about last year

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

I’m sure Koetter’s reluctance has a little something to do with the turnover machine under center.

Best example that I can think of was in 2016 against the Panthers. Final drive when Winston was bailed out on a dropped interception. Koetter played for the FG from that point. Seen it in many other games that year and this past season.

A head coach/play caller who’s not 100% confident in their signal caller doesn’t often equate to success.

• GottaJaboo

Blocked

Yeah, like that last play vs. NO. Playing for the tie. He really questions Jaboo’s ability to make the throws…

GoldsonAges on 2nd round pick, Safety, Justin Evans, out of Texas A&M – “coaching can’t fix this”.

• Pennywise

Participant

Peterson trust his QB to call the play, crucial situation, in the superbowl…..Dirk would have went for 3, it’s his nature

• NotDeadYet

Participant

To be fair, it’s not all on the QB. I’d say Koetter has a whole lot less trust in his offense to execute a play correctly in general than Pederson does. Gotta give Pederson and that team credit; they handled diversity extremely well…

• Pennywise

Participant

handled diversity ?

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

Yeah, like that last play vs. NO. Playing for the tie. He really questions Jaboo’s ability to make the throws

Godwin wasn’t his primary read.

I digress, it was rare this year to see him actually go through progressions and get past the 1st option.

• GottaJaboo

Blocked

It’s rare to see him go through his progressions? Man, you really need to watch Winston play some time.

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

Watched plenty. While he wasn’t airmailing open deep routes, he was forcing intermediate and long options oblivious to the open underneath routes.

Definitely did a better job after watching from the sidelines for weeks. Looked as if the game had finally started to slow down for him. Was good to see. Hopefully we see more of that next year and on a more consistent basis.

Regardless, Koetter is on a one year deal at this point. If he’s going to go down, he needs to go down in flames. Gotta have faith in your QB and go with it.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.