Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 13 reply threads

• Author

• Crazyhorse54

Participant

The ending of the Cowboys game reveals a need to address setting the ball for play. If you recall, the Bucs were in a hurry and Jensen set the ball himself. The fact is the Umpire is too far from the new line of scrimmage to set the ball in a timely fashion. It unfairly penalizes the team with the ball. The simple solution is this… If the Umpire is more than 5 yards from the new line of scrimmage, the clock is stopped, the Umpire sets the ball and the clock immediately starts. There are details, but the NFL would have to work those out. But, seriously, you look at some of the Umpires in the NFL and they are middle-aged men who do a good job for the most part but are NOT world-class athletes. No one could expect them to run 20 or more yards to set a ball for play. Both teams were waiting on him to get there to set the ball. My solution would work.

• seekpar

Participant

Sure glad the way it worked out for the Cowpukes. Bonehead play to QB draw from the forty with 0:13 left and no timeouts. They deserved to lose with all the mistakes they made in that game.

• Vance

Participant

So what you are suggesting is the umpires who spot the ball need to be timed in the 40 every four weeks .

• Greattimes

Participant

Poor coaching decision to call a draw play where the QB has little chance to get out of bounds. The ref did his best to get to the ball to spot it, but the offensive line got in the way. That delayed the ball placement by a second or two. But if a team is relying on a ref to spot the ball as quickly as you desire, then the team is making a bad decision.

• Trask Force

Participant

Sure glad the way it worked out for the Cowpukes. Bonehead play to QB draw from the forty with 0:13 left and no timeouts. They deserved to lose with all the mistakes they made in that game.

It was a mistake by Garoppolo (player not set on 4th and 1) that gave Dak the chance to make his own mistake. Garoppolo was 25 for 25 on 1st downs, and he hiked it early. It almost cost them the game. Dak also made a mistake under pressure. He just simply didn’t account for the time and would have been fine if he’d have slid sooner. Both QBs made. a time mismanagement of about one second which could have sent them home for the season, although for Dallas it still would have been a longshot to throw one last TD pass from 25 yards or so.

As for the OPs suggestion, it makes sense. However, I don’t see the need for it. This was on the Cowboys, not the fault of the refs or a problem with the rules. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

• mjs020294

Participant

Every one should know the rules and be aware of the play. Running with under 15 seconds left has always been considered risky. IF you elect to run the runner needs to know that the ball needs to be in the Refs hands ASAP. The Cowboys messed up on every level….cry me a river.

• Anonymous

Inactive

A simple solution to this would be to invoke college rules and stop the clock to move the chains each time a team picks up a first down.

In addition to that, I think the NFL should adopt the following rules from the NCAA:

– Only one foot in bounds instead of two on a sideline catch, but it has to be the first foot.
      – 15 yard penalty and automatic first down on a pass interference as opposed to the spot of the foul
      – No two minute warnings
      – Players who go down untouched after a catch are down

• mjs020294

Participant

Why the heck is the NFL and College still using chains. Chip the ball and get a precise measurement even if the ball is under a pile of players.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Why the heck is the NFL and College still using chains.

Because the people on the field and in the stands still need to know where the ball, down markers, etc. are. Maybe there is still a way to meld the two, but those on-field markers are still necessary.

But yes, they should do both.

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

If the NFL would decide to “chip” the ball, would this be included with a vaccine?

Asking for a friend…

• Greattimes

Participant

How would a chip in the ball account for when a QB starts his slide? There are a lot of scenarios where a chip is useless. There would still need refs to determine many plays.

• Trask Force

Participant

Why the heck is the NFL and College still using chains. Chip the ball and get a precise measurement even if the ball is under a pile of players.

How does chipping the ball help? You still won’t know when or where the ball touches the ground or where it was when an elbow or knee or butt touched the ground. I’m not a tech guy so enlighten me.

As for the one-foot idea, I hate it. We already have enough rules to help the offense. I like watching the replay to see if both feet were in bounds.

• mjs020294

Participant

How does chipping the ball help? You still won’t know when or where the ball touches the ground or where it was when an elbow or knee or butt touched the ground. I’m not a tech guy so enlighten me.

As for the one-foot idea, I hate it. We already have enough rules to help the offense. I like watching the replay to see if both feet were in bounds.

It helps the most on goal line pile ups and determining the balls furthest point of forward progress. You can still have markers to give the crowd a rough idea of progress but the chains are absolutely ridiculous in the 21st century. For disputed spots at least all the Refs would need to determine the point the play is dead on the reply; at that point the exact spot of the ball could be provided by the monitoring system.

• inspecto

Participant

cowgirls game ” I’m going to respot the ball” WTF !!!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.