Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 16 reply threads

• Author

• JC5100

Participant

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/edge/

This list is riddled with injuries and low production. Even Mack hasn’t produced enough for what the Bears gave up and are paying him. Dante Fowler 11 sacks in his 2019 contract year, gets insane contract from Falcons and spits out 3 sacks in a year where they were giving up huge leads what seemed like every week. Miller, Jones and Ford missed the entire season. Edge Rushers are the new running backs except you need them to win but you can’t pay them as they age. Even Watt missed 24 games in consecutive seasons at 27 and 28.

Tagging Shaq again would still keep him below his market value and you protect yourself from him being one of the disasters on this list next year.

• theknees

Participant

It’s certainly one of the toughest to predict year to year. I agree but think we are going to give him a king’s ransom to stay long term. Ton o cash though. I want him but, not at the expense of every other position.

• JC5100

Participant

Barrett being a long term elite edge rusher is a dream, not a reality.

• buccnation

Participant

I’d sign him long term but have the contract front loaded. So it ends up being a 2-3 year contract in the end.

• mjs020294

Participant

Shaq should get a long term deal this year if the Bucs want to keep him. Tag should be used on Godwin.

• JC5100

Participant

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/wide-receiver/

These are all pretty good deals except for Beckham but everyone knew he was a disaster and it was a bad trade for the Browns.

You’ve been given the data. Long contracts for pass rushers = bad. Long contracts for WRs = good. Barrett’s tag is below market value, Godwin’s tag is above market value.

• BucBalla85

Participant

Shaq is 28. Not sure how much he has left in the tank. I think he at least has 2 or 3 years at a good level. Beyond that I don’t know. I don’t offer him kings ransom but offer something decent for 3 years to try to keep him for those 3 years. I’m sure some team will offer more than what I’m willing to give but at that point I wonder if he just goes for that money or does he want to keep winning with Tampa?

• Roy

Participant

Tagging Shaq would cost about $20 million, and he won’t be happy about it. And you can’t play around and defer any of the money against the cap. So it will make it tougher to sign everybody else. And he will be gone after the season. I think its a bad idea to tag Shaq. You have to let him go out and shop around. If you can match what the other teams are offering, then resign him. Otherwise, you have to let him walk. Licht got Shaq for cheap, and he traded a 3rd rounder for JPP. We’re going to have to rely on Licht once again how to dig up a good pass rusher, but I think that to some extent Shaq has benefitted from the defense that surrounds him, and we shouldn’t overpay and make it tougher to keep the rest of the defense together.

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

Mack was worth his contract imo, that dude is a wrecking ball when healthy. His production slipping is strictly because of injuries.

• RW

Participant

That’s the whole point of the original post; edge rushers can’t stay healthy so don’t give them a long contract.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

If shaq was younger id be more onboard.

Let someone else overpay for him.

Nota coincidence he was a different player with & without vea on the field.

JPP was playing at 70%(according to himself) the last 2 years. Just had surgery.

Brady was more hurt then we knew. For real?!

Both at 100% next year? Good luck lol.

I love shaq. Not at 20 mil, nor 15. Suh for 10(plus hes harder to replace then shaq) sounds better to me. Save the franchise for godwin.

• Roy

Participant

Shaq is not Mack.

• Natural Selection

Participant

I’m not sure if he would take a deal like this, but I’d give him 60 mil for 3 seasons. 30 up front with minimum salary in 2021. 10 mil guaranteed in 2022 salary for a 20 mil hit that season. 20 in salary in 2023 for a 30 mil hit. If he’s not still elite, cut and eat 10 mil dead in 2023. Shaq gets 40 mil guaranteed over next 2 seasons and we have manageable hits in both.

I’m hoping ownership is freeing up lots of cash for signing bonuses. Would like to see several of our guys back on 2 year deals where half the value is signing bonus and minimum salary in 2021. It looks like the cap in 2022 and beyond will be back on inflationary path with new broadcast rights agreements.

• mjs020294

Participant

Franchise tag on Shaq will probably cost $21.3 million. I just don’t see the Bucs committing over $21 million of next years cap to Shaq. If they can sign him to a 4 year deal with a good signing bonus his cap hit could be kept manageable next year.

• JC5100

Participant

It’s $19M. A 4 year deal would likely have low return on investment. You want pass rushers on 1 year deals with low tread on their bodies.

• JC5100

Participant

Also young WRs are a good investment. Especially since he’s homegrown and super high character and not a diva. You can give Godwin a high signing bonus and not worry because you know he’s going to be on the team for the life of the contract. This isn’t Caveman Gang.

• mjs020294

Participant

Did you read the article? Shaq has an appeal with the NFL regarding the 2020 cap. If he wins the 2021 cap hit would be $21 million. That would be an extra $5 million of cap space compared to tagging Godwin. The big picture here is the Bucs want to keep the team together and make a SB run.

The best case scenario is sign Shaq and Godwin to long term deals and minimize the 2021 cap hit.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

We are gonna get the squeeze here because we haven’t drafted edge prospects. One of my biggest gripes with Licht chasing corners all day.

Feels like a damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

We need young edge talent to give us leverage on the vets.

If I HAD to choose between Godwin and Barrett, I’d take Barrett.

The silver lining is we will get some good comp picks

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

The better value is to draft CBs though if you have a scheme with heavy blitzing like the Bucs. Patriots will probably draft more CBs too even though they can use an edge rusher.

But if I am to be honest you pay Shaq because JPP can’t play forever and Nelson looks like a solid #4 but that is Nelson’s ceiling.

Bucs need a #2 and #3 edge rusher sooner or later from the draft. Trying to replace JPP and Shaq within a three year time span is VERY hard.

Build the trenches!

• Biggs3535

Participant

This list is riddled with injuries and low production.

So is this one: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/wide-receiver/

I’m not disagreeing about tagging Shaq, but you’re attempting to paint a rosier picture about WR’s that isn’t reality. Those top three WR’s had 8 total TD’s between them last season. Mike Evans had 13 by himself.

• Diehard Astheycome

Participant

When you live and die by free agency to build your team you end up here. You spend a gazillion picks on secondary, which still for the most part need a really good pass rush to be effective. No pass rush and those DBs become irrelevant.

We have Suh getting up there going year by year. You have Shaq the big question this year and don’t look now but we will be here with JPP next year. Sadly the best long term investment is Godwin, yet if being honest its the position you can easiest replace. You dont pay two #1’s. People applaud Tyler Johnson and we proved you can generate offense without a #1A WR. I love Godwin but if using brain opposed to heart, you let him go. AB cheaper, T Johnson or take Marshall/ Bateman? ( Hate to pass on Cosmi) That’s the reality. Gonna invest 35M in two WRs?? Who rarely played at 100% at the same time and knowing DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS! So anyway we slice it, Shaqs the priority.

Dont jump on me for this..YES, we won a SB but it took the ULTIMATE stars aligned for it to happen. I wouldnt trade it for anything or ever complain HOW or WHY. That said, we are stuck living and dying by the FA sword because SIX 1st/2nd rd picks from 2015-2018 are not on this team, Id argue SEVEN with OJ Howard non existent!!! So when I see “Lichts drafted so many good guys” or “He’s picked us some great players” , ummm NO. He was pretty bad pre BA/Bowles input. He nailed the easiest position with two WRs and 2 down RB who was second fiddle in postseason and had 4 extra 2’s to work with. Okay, got that out of my system.

I can promise you this, if you lose Shaq you lose a key guy who we don’t beat GB or KC without. It can be asked did both GB and KC having Tackle injuries aid a little in Shaqs play and the stars aligned, possibly? Or no, was it just Shaq being Shaq when Vea is in there. Which you would hope would be the case going forward. I think its the ladder.
      So now regarding OP question, its this simple. Shaq with Vea a top 5-7 edge rusher? If so you pay him. If hes not, can you GUARANTEE a top 10-15 edge to replace him in next years FA class or draft for 3-4 years? If so then franchising makes sense. I don’t think we are guaranteed that ( see Raiders). Its why I say he gets the long term money.

• Greattimes

Participant

Bump to get rid of advertising post.

• aquilus

Participant

Id love to keep Shaq but I like David much better. I think in the end we will have to choose which one to keep

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.