Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 7 reply threads

• Author

• kenntak

Participant

I am already tired of seeing touchbacks. Either eliminate kickoffs and start on the 20, or fix a main facet of the game. The other league did it, and the NFL have had a couple of years to fix the issue. It’s really unbelievable!

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Agreed. It’s a complete waste of time the way it is now.

• knucknbuc

Participant

the saints would disagree especially when they can get teams to try and receive it and run into eachother three stooges style and grab the fumble.

• Biggs3535

Participant

the saints would disagree especially when they can get teams to try and receive it and run into eachother three stooges style and grab the fumble.

You could leave exceptions in for penalties. Or just make it the kicking team’s option, for onsides kicks and whatnot. Most kicking teams seem perfectly happy not to have to cover on kickoffs and most receiving teams seem perfectly happy to not return them. In general, they are a waste of time.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

@Biggs3535 wrote:

You could leave exceptions in for penalties. Or just make it the kicking team’s option, for onsides kicks and whatnot. Most kicking teams seem perfectly happy not to have to cover on kickoffs and most receiving teams seem perfectly happy to not return them. In general, they are a waste of time.

The Saints utilized the kickoff well yesterday. You line up the same way all the time, but then you switch it up and players get confused like the Bucs did yesterday. We were expecting an onsides kick, but they pooched it.

Now, kicking to get touchbacks is a skill. Our place kicker, Succop, doesn’t do kickoffs. Our punter does the kickoffs. That’s a premium skill that Pinion has to help mask any place kicker we have that doesn’t have the leg for touchbacks.

If we ran that kickoff back for a touchdown and that changed the game so we won the game, then the OP Kenntak, wouldn’t say anything because that one play changed the game. Then it would only be a 7-point lead for the Saints. Instead, we botched it, turned the ball over, and gave the Saints an additional 3 points with a FG, extending the lead from 14 points to 17 points with time waning down.

• Biggs3535

Participant

@Biggs3535 wrote:

The Saints utilized the kickoff well yesterday. You line up the same way all the time, but then you switch it up and players get confused like the Bucs did yesterday. We were expecting an onsides kick, but they pooched it.

Now, kicking to get touchbacks is a skill. Our place kicker, Succop, doesn’t do kickoffs. Our punter does the kickoffs. That’s a premium skill that Pinion has to help mask any place kicker we have that doesn’t have the leg for touchbacks.

If we ran that kickoff back for a touchdown and that changed the game so we won the game, then the OP Kenntak, wouldn’t say anything because that one play changed the game. Then it would only be a 7-point lead for the Saints. Instead, we botched it, turned the ball over, and gave the Saints an additional 3 points with a FG, extending the lead from 14 points to 17 points with time waning down.

Is your point that kickoffs should remain? If so, the numbers don’t back that up. There have been 135 kickoffs so far in Week 1. Only 34 (25.2%) of those did not result in a touchback. I’m not sure how many of those are from onsides kicks, or other non-tradition kickoff returns.

Why do you say the Bucs were expecting an on-side kick after the penalty? I thought it was pretty clear NO was going to pooch it, trying to pin the Bucs inside the 20. Obviously the result was much better than that for NO.

• kenntak

Participant

Hockey, what do you mean I wouldn’t say anything, like you can read my mind? I am talking about kickoffs as they are now implemented being bad for the game. It’s an uninteresting, useless gesture, when it used to be exciting. The other league had an interesting kickoff procedure that actually made kickoffs and returns a nice part of the game. As a football fan for more than 5 years, you are ok with the decline of kickoff returns as an interesting aspect of the game? I am not.

The NFL used to manage things like that better–when something declined in importance they would study the games, and change the rules to fix it. Either change the rules now or get rid of the kickoff altogether. I personally would rather have kickoff returns again.

• Dy-nasty D

Participant

The NFL doesn’t fix it because of the injury factor. They may as well rework it or get rid of it.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.