Viewing 28 reply threads

• Author

• Mark Cook

Keymaster

On Wednesday, director of college scouting Eric Stokes left the Buccaneers to become an assistant to Hickey in Miami and Bucs general manager Jason Licht reportedly has hired Jon Robinson from the New England Patriots to fill Stokes role in Tampa Bay.https://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=9810:&Itemid=15

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That stings a tad. Looking forward to someone breaking down the players that this new cat was instrumental in bringing to the Pats.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Drafted a lot of good players since Stokes got here.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Makes sense.Stokes/Hickey have had a long term working relationship.  Only a matter of time, needed to finish the draft job in 2013.Now Licht gets his guy...  and he'll kick it in for the 2014 class assessment.  Not been incredibly impressed with the Patriots draft class of recent though....  hell, this year, there is a good chance their first two picks will not contribute for 2013 (Easley and Garropollo). 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Our scouting dept has been together for years I think…responsible for a lot of bad drafts.  It was time to clean house.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think it’s mostly Bill Belichick’s doing but for the most part I’ve hated the Patriots drafts.  They have had a ton of premium picks and have squandered them.  Meanwhile the Brady window continues to close.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

:-/ mehh.. Crown us I guess

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Fuck, I hope the new guy is good, bc the last guy was on.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Makes sense.Stokes/Hickey have had a long term working relationship.   Only a matter of time, needed to finish the draft job in 2013.

Stokes came to the Bucs during the 2012 season, so I wouldn't necessarily consider it a long-term relationship. Actually, I'm a little surprised that Light didn't clean house and put "his" guys in place. Including Stokes, there only appears to be 3 casualties so far.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Makes sense.Stokes/Hickey have had a long term working relationship.   Only a matter of time, needed to finish the draft job in 2013.

Stokes came to the Bucs during the 2012 season, so I wouldn't necessarily consider it a long-term relationship. Actually, I'm a little surprised that Light didn't clean house and put "his" guys in place. Including Stokes, there only appears to be 3 casualties so far.

You dont make those kind of changes 3 months before the draft when all those guys there just spent the last 9 months working on player evaluations.  Then you are asking a new group to come in and take over just before the draft.  Other teams do the same so you likely wont get anyone of any talent that close to the draft anyway.  2 months post draft is the time to make a move if youre going to.  Considering how quickly we replaced him, our guys knew it was coming and had done their due diligence on his replacement.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You dont make those kind of changes 3 months before the draft when all those guys there just spent the last 9 months working on player evaluations.  Then you are asking a new group to come in and take over just before the draft.  Other teams do the same so you likely wont get anyone of any talent that close to the draft anyway.  2 months post draft is the time to make a move if youre going to.  Considering how quickly we replaced him, our guys knew it was coming and had done their due diligence on his replacement.

That's why I was kind of surprised that the 2 scouts were told they were being let go before the draft. They no longer had loyalties to the Bucs so I worried about information leaks from those guys to other teams.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL; at a glance I thought it said STOCKER!

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Replacing Hickey guys with Patriot guys can never be a bad thing .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hope Q survives!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here is an interesting thought:@NFLDraftBites: #Buccaneers Director College Scouting Eric Stokes joining #Dolphins- Clear TB high on Billy Turner & it's why Miami Traded up. Inside Intel

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hope Q survives!!

From the interviews I've heard it sounds like Lovie has been and is in Q's camp.......but then again, it seems like Lovie can change his mind on a dime if he see's a better opportunity.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's why I was kind of surprised that the 2 scouts were told they were being let go before the draft. They no longer had loyalties to the Bucs so I worried about information leaks from those guys to other teams.

They may not have had loyalties to TB anymore, but it was good of us to let them know so they could also start looking at other jobs.  Scouts arent going to do anything malicious when told they wont be retained.  Almost all of them are consummate professionals and dont want to do anything to ruin their reputation.  If they acted poorly, that would affect their ability to get picked up by other teams in the future.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here is an interesting thought:@NFLDraftBites: #Buccaneers Director College Scouting Eric Stokes joining #Dolphins- Clear TB high on Billy Turner & it's why Miami Traded up. Inside Intel

Was coming into this thread to thank Eric for sticking through the draft process with us when he probably knew he was moving on.  Until I got to this.  Hope it is untrue as that would be extremely shady on his part.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Was coming into this thread to thank Eric for sticking through the draft process with us when he probably knew he was moving on.  Until I got to this.  Hope it is untrue as that would be extremely shady on his part.

I'm pretty skeptical - wasn't it pretty clear that Billy Turner was high on our list in general? I certainly assumed that was our pick at 3 when the pick was approaching, and I didn't get any info from Stokes.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree with that Booker.  As spider pointed out above it would not be a very wise career move over a third round pick.  Just a bad looking coincidence.  Were there links between Turner and the Bucs?  Honestly wasn’t paying close enough attention I guess.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hell, as soon as  Miami traded up – I knew it was for Turner and I’m 1000 miles away and sitting on the couch.  Turner was going to be a Buc at 69 IMO.Inside intel?  Nonsense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gil Brandt tweeted that we had him in for a private visit, and the list of OL we had in for private visits was fairly small (BucNation had the list up somewhere – Edwards and Pamphile were both on it, btw). He had been mocked to us before as well as he fit a lot of the traits we seemed to be after (power guy with movement skills). Also, just logical - we had massive need at G, and Turner was one of the only guys graded in that range really. Next guard went at 93.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Pretty unprofessional if he did that. If word got out he did that he’ll be blacklisted after the Hickey regime gets fired ( which they will ) and he’s looking for work again .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hope Q survives!!

From the interviews I've heard it sounds like Lovie has been and is in Q's camp.......but then again, it seems like Lovie can change his mind on a dime if he see's a better opportunity.

Who is Q?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Quarles

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Isnt this a bad sign for the bucs ’14 draft?How was this guy committed to drafting well for the bucs if he knew he was leaving after his duties were done in the draft season?If he was let go because hes ineffective or Licht had one of "his guys" that he wanted to hire, that seems badIf he left by his choice to join Hickey it seems like odd timing (why not make the move when all of Lichts staffing changes were happening, and bring in the guy who would draft the new regimes type of players?). How could this guy have been fully effective in his role?That said, I like the draft a lot

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Isnt this a bad sign for the bucs '14 draft?How was this guy committed to drafting well for the bucs if he knew he was leaving after his duties were done in the draft season?If he was let go because hes ineffective or Licht had one of "his guys" that he wanted to hire, that seems badIf he left by his choice to join Hickey it seems like odd timing (why not make the move when all of Lichts staffing changes were happening, and bring in the guy who would draft the new regimes type of players?). How could this guy have been fully effective in his role?That said, I like the draft a lot

This is standard operating procedure in the NFL. The work was started well before Licht and Lovie arrived. Unless it's for very personal reasons, there's no incentive to burn bridges, and sand-bagging doesn't help your career.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

@NFLdraftbites is a hack followed him on twitter for a bit and dude throws so much crap against the wall it's crazy. Said Lovie was going to hire one of the three "black" GM candidates because it was part of the "plan"! Said the Bucs wouldn't spend in FA cause it's Lichts MO to find cheap FAs! Believe nothing dude says he's horrible.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

@NFLdraftbites is a hack followed him on twitter for a bit and dude throws so much crap against the wall it's crazy. Said Lovie was going to hire one of the three "black" GM candidates because it was part of the "plan"! Said the Bucs wouldn't spend in FA cause it's Lichts MO to find cheap FAs! Believe nothing dude says he's horrible.

Thank you .

Please wait…

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.