Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 21 reply threads

• Author

• inspecto

Participant

If ya had to chose and could only have one have one for the next 4yrs<br />
      Who and why? hypothetical !! not have anything to do with cap

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by inspecto.

• Roy

Participant

I choose Godwin wholeheartedly. Evans has been and is a great reciever, but he’s been playing hurt a lot and that isn’t likely to improve. You can always count on Evans. If he can walk he’ll play. But still he’s playing hurt.

For four more years you’d have to go with Godwin. If you think you are going to ride with high mileage Evans and flake Brown that’s fool’s gold. It sounds great but it could fall apart fast. If either of those guys isn’t available, it allows teams to shut down the other one. That great receiving corps is suddenly very pedestrian.

• Bucman

Participant

Evans for 4. But longer term Godwin.

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

I don’t see why we can’t keep both. Evans has said he’s willing to restructure. Godwin came out today and said that he’s not going to be miserable for a few extra dollars.

Why not sign them both to new four year deals at reasonable money? That will give us the freedom to tag Shaq if he wants big money. Plus then there will be cap room to bring back Gronk, AB, and LVD.

• inspecto

Participant

hypothetical !! You must chose 1 or the other for this exercise

• seekpar

Participant

Godwin since he’s younger and will cost a bit less. But then we would need someone to replace Evans who can stretch the field and draw those DPI penalties.

• inspecto

Participant

Well I would go with Godwin only cause he’s 3yrs younger and as was stated Evans has been hurt a lot which could catch up with him as he gets older.

• buc_boi

Participant

Evans

The better overall receiver, IMO

We can keep both doe

• buc-in-out

Participant

This is just like when AB left Pittsburgh and everyone just assumed that Juju would get EVEN MORE targets and finish with 1500 yards.

The reason Juju flourished was because of all the attention AB got.

While I do believe Godwin is actually a better receiver then Juju, do not discount the attention that Mike demands. He’s constantly double teamed. He’s a 6’5 230lbs deep threat. He’s a true #1 receiver.

• Mark

Participant

I have said this before and get irritated at myself for even thinking it, but to me the most prudent thing to do is trade Mike for max value and sign Godwin to a 4 year deal. You’d likely get a 1st and a 3rd for Mike and shed $18m in cap. Resign Brown for $3-5+ incentives and now you can sign everyone else. Let Miller and Johnson shine at 3 and 4.

Sorry for thinking such an unthinkable atrocity. I love mike!

• buccnation

Participant

I like your philosophy but I just don’t know if a team would give us the compensation that we, as Bucs fans, would want for Evans. Others know that Evans battles injuries so I’m sure teams would low ball us.

• Dy-nasty D

Participant

Evans. He’s WR1 and draws the double coverage.
      Godwin is an ideal WR2, but, IMO, wouldn’t do as well being The Man.

• leeroybuc93

Participant

This is Evans all day.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

Evans all day, everyday. Under a traditional system, Evans will be targeted more often. Under Arians before Brady, it’s Godwin. Since we have Brady for another season (and possibly more, hinted by GM Licht), then I it’s easily Evans.

2019 Receiving (no Brady)

1. WR Godwin: 121 targets; 1,333 yards; 15.5 ypc; 9 TDs
        2. WR Evans: 118 targets; 1,157 yards; 17.3 ypc; 8 TDs
        3. WR Perriman: 70 targets; 645 yards; 17.9 ypc; 6 TDs

2020 Receiving (with Brady)

1. WR Evans: 109 targets; 1,009 yards; 14.4 ypc; 13 TDs
        2. WR Godwin: 84 targets; 840 yards; 12.9 ypc; 7 TDs
        3. TE Gronk: 45targets; 623 yards; 13.8 ypc; 7 TDs

In 2019, Arians implemented his “slot WR1” offense. Notice how Perriman excelled in this offense, especially when either Evans or Godwin fell to injury. Perriman revealed he can be a WR2 in this offense. Some Buc fans panicked at the prospect of not retaining Perriman last year.

In 2020, Brady made this vertical offense multi-dimensional. Brady made more use of the TEs in receiving, made more use of the intermediate game, made more use of the middle of the field for a target, and made more use of hot-read checkdowns. TE Gronk and WR Brown were on the same page with Brady on recognizing defenses and quick hot-reads. In the Super Bowl, both Gronk and AB made adjustments that gave Brady an outlet, which both resulted in TD catches. You can hear it on the mic that the assistant coaches didn’t know what AB route was running. This is why Brady vouched for AB because Brady knows AB understands the way Brady thinks.

With Evans, you get the old adage of, “You can’t teach height.” He’s the one WR that you probably do want to double cover. If it’s a 50/50 ball, then Evans’ height becomes a vast advantage and the ratio is a like 85/15 ball to Evans.

Brady is the significant factor here. Although we know he’s here for one more season, he’s the reason why the offense changed from a “Slot WR1” passing scheme to a “multi-dimensional” passing scheme. WR Brown will come vastly cheaper than Godwin. In fact, I’d rather lose Godwin to retain WR Brown and TE Gronk! We have some young receiving talent still developing in Miller, Johnson, and Watson. We have to continue developing TE Howard and TE Hudson.

I love Godwin, but Evans shows he is very impactful when on the stat sheet shows only 2 catches for 3 yards. Those 2 catches are TD’s, but he also attracts double teams and induces a lot of Defensive Pass Interferences (DPIs).

• JC5100

Participant

Those 2020 numbers you’re posting for Godwin are in just 11.5 games compared to 16 for Evans. Godwin wasn’t right the whole year. Saw something yesterday that Godwin had an 86% catch percentage on routes from the slot, which is God tier. Not to mention what he does in the run game. Arians uses him like a fullback and that’s not an exaggeration.

And Perriman was a disaster in his designed role last year. In 10 games before Evans and Godwin went out he had 226 yards and 1 TD.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by JC5100.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

SMH…

You use stats to try to prop up 2020 Godwin, but use stats to denigrate Perriman playing as a WR3? hahahhaha You’re proving my point. When Perriman gets elevated to WR2, then he’s more productive than Godwin in ypc. Either you remain consistent in your use of stats or don’t use stats at all. You’re just mad jelly that I just proved that a FA WR put up just as good or better numbers than Godwin when put into an elevated WR2 position or higher.

Godwin playing 11.5 games shares what? He was injured for several games to where he couldn’t play. Although, I also didn’t include games played for 2019 because both Evans and Godwin also got injured.

But if we’re playing this stupid semantic of stats, then maybe you’ll be surprised that although Evans had the most targets, Evans has had games were he had 5 targets or less in all 16 games played.

Evans, 2020 Target, Pro Football Reference

Gm 1: 4 targets, 1 rec, 1 TD
          Gm 2: 4 targets, 2 rec, 2 TDs
          Gm 6: 2 targets, 1 rec, 0 TDs
          Gm 7: 2 targets, 2 rec, 0 TDs
          Gm 13: 5 targets, 3 rec, 0 TDs
          Gm 16: 4 targets, 3 rec, 0 TDs

So what does this spell out to the regular person? It supports what I just said that Brady made this offense go from “Slot WR1” passing scheme to “multi-dimensional” passing scheme.

Look at the Super Bowl. Evans had only 1 target for 1 catch for 31 yards. He did actually create more yards due to DPI’s, but it reveals that Brady will take what the defense gives. Evans accepts that because it resulted in a Super Bowl. Yet, if you leave Evans alone, then he is the most targeted WR for Brady.

This brings it all to a nice bow tie that Evans is the better WR option for the Bucs for the next five years because the next year Brady is still the QB. Brady desires a “multi-dimensional” passing scheme, not a “Slow WR1” Arians’ vertical only passing scheme.

• JC5100

Participant

QB rating when targeting Godwin
        2019- 116.7
        2020- 132.7

QB rating when targeting Evans
        2019- 84.4
        2020- 126.0

• inspecto

Participant

Hockey Duckie thanks for the great reply. Lots of good info.

• buccnation

Participant

Godwin is Evan’s favorite target. This is very tough. If I knew both players would stay healthy the rest of their career then I am taking Evans. But we do not know that and Evans is banged up quite often so I am leaning ever so slightly towards Godwin. I can be swayed either way.

• buc-in-out

Participant

^Godwin’s been more banged up then Evans, don’t know what you’re talking about.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

Evans has missed a total of 6 games in his 7 seasons in the NFL. Starting in 105 games out of 106 total games played.

Godwin has missed a total of 6 games in his 4 seasons in the NFL. Starting in 33 games out of 58 total games played. Godwin has been injured in the past two seasons (2 in 2019, 4 in 2020) since being elevated to starter status.

• buccnation

Participant

Evans is able to play hurt and does it quite often. I’m assuming you watched the bucs this year (and years prior)? You may have noticed that Evans was nowhere near 100% the first half of the year.

• kenntak

Participant

Love them both, but if forced, I would keep Evans.

• BucBalla85

Participant

At this point in their careers it’s probably Godwin because Evans has been in the league a while compared to Godwin. If we are taking their entire careers into account here then it’s Evans. Been a pretty dominant receiver during his entire career and has pretty much annihilated any receiving record for the Bucs. Evans has a few years left while Godwin is just starting his second contract.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

Evans is 27 years old today, Feb 27, 2021. Godwin will be 25 years old in three more days.

That height of Evans is what makes him far more valuable as a scoring threat in the Red Zone. Now that we’re in a Brady offense that likes to methodically traverse the field rather to try to score from our own 20-yard line on every drive, Evans suits Brady’s offense best.

• Sactobuc

Participant

Evans, he has played AND performed injured. Proven team guy. And at 1,000yds per season, I’m sold.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Sactobuc.

• BucsBay

Participant

Last year I would have argued for Godwin, but what I think I was missing is how rare a receiver who can beat man coverage consistently like Evans is. I can’t imagine them losing Godwin, but if they absolutely had to, it’s easier to find a tough athlete who can make plays against zone than it is to find a guy who can’t be single covered.

• Ramonb

Participant

Godwin for me. IMHO, reliable hands are of utmost importance. He had a rough post season, but I suspect that was something that he will get over.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Godwin was lackluster in the post season. Far too many drops for my liking. Cost himself $ too, imho.

Give me Evans clutchness.

• BucsBay

Participant

Evans had just as many drops in the playoffs, on passes that were easier to catch than Godwin’s drops, and Evans was responsible for a turnover while in scoring range on one.

• buccnation

Participant

I changed my mind. Evans for me.

• Dy-nasty D

Participant

Evans = Batman
      Godwin = Robin

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.