Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 33 reply threads

• Author

• BucsBay

Participant

Who puts up better numbers this year? Last year this question would have seemed absurd, but so would everything else. Personally, I think it will be Godwin. Teams aren’t going to know how to match up, and are going to play a lot of zone. Godwin has been a force against zone and Evans is a monster against man (except against the Saints…). That said, I think we’ll be a heavy run, play action team, playing a lot of 5 minute offense and Evans is going to get a lot of opportunities to Moss teams. Still Godwin’s ability to get open in the middle of the field and get YAC is going to be a big deal. Plus, I just think Godwin is the most focused and toughest WR’s I’ve seen in a while. It’s going to be fun.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Godwin will be the one who suffers most in this offense. I have him at about 700 yards and 6 TDs. Evans should be close to 850-900 with about 8 Tds. We won’t have near the air yards we did last season, so let’s get that vision out of our heads. Lots more running and lots more small ball.

• BucsBay

Participant

Oh go blow balls steve.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don’t worry, he will.

Oh go blow balls steve.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don’t worry, he will.

BucsBay wrote:
      Oh go work X’s girl from behind while he plays X box

Fixed it for ya….

• DerekPHFD

Participant

I do see everyone’s numbers being evened out because I believe Brady will spread the ball better and I think the run game will be improved. I’m just not sure how a WR that does his best work in the slot, like Godwin, would suffer from a Tom Brady lead offense. Especially have almost 700 yards less than a year ago. You are the one who has said 1000 times Brady’s arm is no longer good. But to deny his mind and ability to hit quick reads to a slot receiver in stride is just completely false. If anyone suffers numbers wise it would be Evans.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Lol… every comment he makes is meant to prop Winston.

I could say, man what Tesla is doing is spectacular, and he’d find a way to say Winston is better than Space X.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

I say Godwin.

While we have some people highlighting Air Yards, they might be missing the YAC component to Brady’s ability to throw to players in stride. Evans, Godwin, Gronk, and + is going to make it easier for Brady to find who to exploit and where.

As for playaction, that’s something Brady doesn’t excel at as he does in shotgun. Brady is amazing in shotgun as he’s able to quickly assess between pre-snap and post-snap defenses as to where to exploit.

• BucBalla85

Participant

I think Evans gets the double teams but Godwin and Gronk could as well. Both could be dangerous with Brady throwing them the ball. I like Evans stats in the red zone tho. Brady will be more accurate than Winston ever was down there and expect Evans to get a fair amount of jump balls and good mismatches with his size and catch radius. I think Evans will get the tds but Godwin will get the yards.

• Anonymous

Inactive

That’s the point, most of those guys are playmakers, and 12 will find them quickly and accurately, and in position to make plays. Unlike Jameis Rapeis who was just putting the ball all over the place. He was terribly inaccurate, always leaving guys twisting and turning to make catches, and routinely missing wide open guys who would have had big plays with their legs. Brady is HOF. Jameis is garbage.

I think Evans gets the double teams but Godwin and Gronk could as well. Both could be dangerous with Brady throwing them the ball. I like Evans stats in the red zone tho. Brady will be more accurate than Winston ever was down there and expect Evans to get a fair amount of jump balls and good mismatches with his size and catch radius. I think Evans will get the tds but Godwin will get the yards.

• Lawdy

Participant

chris the God

• Barnz1

Participant

Godwin will be the one who suffers most in this offense. I have him at about 700 yards and 6 TDs. Evans should be close to 850-900 with about 8 Tds. We won’t have near the air yards we did last season, so let’s get that vision out of our heads. Lots more running and lots more small ball.

Other way round chief.

We all love Evans but he’s not a guy who likes to run in between the soft spots of the D and take hits from safeties. That is Godwin who is the definition of the Brady guy. 1 drop out of 121 targets last year, insane 71% catch percentage. Brady is going to him if we need a cruical first down.

Evans numbers will go down but it’s not a bad thing. There’s a million options to spread the ball to so naturally that’s going to happen. He’s still going to draw double teams which will help overall. Numbers don’t matter in the end, winning does.

• DerekPHFD

Participant

So deflate, you live on this board. How are you defending you stance on Godwin getting 50% yards?

• DerekPHFD

Participant

And if you think Evans is the red zone guy, I ask why? Gronk howard brate. Brady has never been the lob it in the corner end zone guy.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why are you asking questions at GottaJaboo? That mentally challenged loser will never get anything right. He’s been wrong about a hundred different times, and then he creates a new screen name and eventually puts himself because his “writing” style is the same. He’s a clown. A dunce. And worse…a fake tough guy, a disgrace. A total sissy.

So deflate, you live on this board. How are you defending you stance on Godwin getting 50% yards?

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

I think Evans has more receptions and Godwin to have more yards. I think TD’s will be a push. I mean, one could get 11, the other 10. Is that really a big deal? I don’t think so. I think both are in the double digits. If one really out scores the other, I think it will favor Godwin.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Evans has more yards at the end of the season than Godwin. I wouldn’t take this personally.

• GermCanBuc

Participant

@deflategatesteve we all know the only thing you take personally is Winston’s dick in your ass.

• Anonymous

Inactive

@deflategatesteve we all know the only thing you take personally is Winston’s dick in your ass.

You are a sick fuck. Go get help.

• GermCanBuc

Participant

@deflategatesteve Only help I need is you getting over your broken heart. Winston’s gone. Brady’s here. Get over it, or go cheer for the Aints. You’re acting like a high school girl who just got dumped by the guy she lost her virginity to. Quit crying about it and toughen the fuck up. This is a business. Players come and go.

More on point. I voted for Godwin. Mike is still #1 and will see most of the coverage rolled his way I believe.

• Anonymous

Inactive

@deflategatesteve Only help I need is you getting over your broken heart. Winston’s gone. Brady’s here. Get over it, or go cheer for the Aints. You’re acting like a high school girl who just got dumped by the guy she lost her virginity to. Quit crying about it and toughen the fuck up. This is a business. Players come and go.

More on point. I voted for Godwin. Mike is still #1 and will see most of the coverage rolled his way I believe.

My amazement that we are so excited about a 43 year QB is what this is about. It has nothing at all to do with Winston. Name me any QB at age 43 who has had any success at all in the post season or hell, regular season for that matter, in the last 20 years. If history is any indicator, Brady is going to suck as our QB.

ANd Evans will have about 1/3 more yards and a couple of more TD than Godwin. Evans is more of a Brady type receiver.

• buc-in-out

Participant

Edelman went for 1100 yards last year, Godwin will easily put up 1200+, and I still think M1k3 squeaks past 1000 provided they’re both healthy.

Brady will throw for 4200-4400 yards this season IMO.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Let’s see who does better this year; Brady or Crablegs

• Watchman

Participant

My amazement that we are so excited about a 43 year QB is what this is about. It has nothing at all to do with Winston. Name me any QB at age 43 who has had any success at all in the post season or hell, regular season for that matter, in the last 20 years. If history is any indicator, Brady is going to suck as our QB.

ANd Evans will have about 1/3 more yards and a couple of more TD than Godwin. Evans is more of a Brady type receiver.

I think some of the excitement you are confused by is solely related to Winston being gone, regardless of who replaced him. Obviously Brady adds a level of excitement. Maybe he falters and his age finally catches up to him, but at least it isn’t Winston. Five years in Winston was making the same mistakes he did as a rookie. He just threw another INT, just now.

As far as the Godwin or Evans question, I think Godwin ends up with around 1200 yards, and Evans just barely gets over 1,000 yards. TDs – both will be in the 6-8 range.

• Nobody

Participant

Brady has averaged over 270 yards per game in the last 10 years in an offense with significantly less skill position talent than this one and in an offense that is less Passing Yards Per Game intensive than this one.

Last year with (a) possibly the worst skill position suite a QB had to play with in 2019 and (b) with where McDaniel’s play-calling was probably his worst ever (don’t confuse yourself that (a) and (b) aren’t related) in key situations, he still threw for 254 Yards Per Game.

And remember…all of this is with by far the lowest “Garbage Time Stats” of any NFL QB because the Patriots are always up in the 4th and running a 4 minute offense. Virtually all of Brady’s yardage over the years is earned in the crucible of an actual, pressurized, “game in the balance” environment.

So (assuming the Bucs and/or Brady actually play all 16 games…a fairly large assumption), 4300 looks like a pretty reasonable number.

As a consequence, you have to ask yourself where is all the yardage coming from if not Godwin and Evans?

Even if they “only” have a combined 2400, that is still 1900 remaining. Who is picking all of that up? We have one of the least capable RB receiving corps in the league and our 3rd and 4th WR have established nothing in this league.

TEs get 1200, other (non-established) WRs and (not-passing-game-proficient) RBs get 700 combined? That seems pretty reasonable given Gronk’s injury history, his flagging performance at the end, the lack of prolific play by the TE position in this offense and the WR/RB pass-catchers after Evans and Godwin.

So somewhere around 1200 for each of them with Godwin having more a chunk more Receptions and 1st downs and Evans having more TDs (someone wrote about that Brady doesn’t like the backshoulder Fade or the normal Fade against a mismatch in Redzone Tight…well, I have to wonder how much Patriots football that person has watched…he loves it and he throws it beautifully…Gronk had 2 in the 2017 Playoffs alone).

• Anonymous

Inactive

Brady has averaged over 270 yards per game in the last 10 years in an offense with significantly less skill position talent than this one and in an offense that is less Passing Yards Per Game intensive than this one.

Last year with (a) possibly the worst skill position suite a QB had to play with in 2019 and (b) with where McDaniel’s play-calling was probably his worst ever (don’t confuse yourself that (a) and (b) aren’t related) in key situations, he still threw for 254 Yards Per Game.

And remember…all of this is with by far the lowest “Garbage Time Stats” of any NFL QB because the Patriots are always up in the 4th and running a 4 minute offense. Virtually all of Brady’s yardage over the years is earned in the crucible of an actual, pressurized, “game in the balance” environment.

So (assuming the Bucs and/or Brady actually play all 16 games…a fairly large assumption), 4300 looks like a pretty reasonable number.

As a consequence, you have to ask yourself where is all the yardage coming from if not Godwin and Evans?

Even if they “only” have a combined 2400, that is still 1900 remaining. Who is picking all of that up? We have one of the least capable RB receiving corps in the league and our 3rd and 4th WR have established nothing in this league.

TEs get 1200, other (non-established) WRs and (not-passing-game-proficient) RBs get 700 combined? That seems pretty reasonable given Gronk’s injury history, his flagging performance at the end, the lack of prolific play by the TE position in this offense and the WR/RB pass-catchers after Evans and Godwin.

So somewhere around 1200 for each of them with Godwin having more a chunk more Receptions and 1st downs and Evans having more TDs (someone wrote about that Brady doesn’t like the backshoulder Fade or the normal Fade against a mismatch in Redzone Tight…well, I have to wonder how much Patriots football that person has watched…he loves it and he throws it beautifully…Gronk had 2 in the 2017 Playoffs alone).

Seems logical until you realize that his decline was on full display the last 7 games of the season LAST YEAR. and, he is now a year older in a new system (it’s Arian’s offense, not McDaniels, not a hybrid, it’s Arians). He’s got a shaky OL and a worse running game.

Enjoy mixing in 20 great seasons to come up with an “average”. I saw something well below average in an offense that he basically invented. This is a near certain misfire.

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

Seems logical until you realize that his decline was on full display the last 7 games of the season LAST YEAR. and, he is now a year older in a new system (it’s Arian’s offense, not McDaniels, not a hybrid, it’s Arians). He’s got a shaky OL and a worse running game.

Enjoy mixing in 20 great seasons to come up with an “average”. I saw something well below average in an offense that he basically invented. This is a near certain misfire.

LOL

• DerekPHFD

Participant

I said he didn’t throw the fades. Over the past 10 years his red zone passes have been to James white, gronk and Edelman mostly. None are known fade zone players. Maybe having Evans will change that, but he seems to favor cross routes and hitting a quick slant to who breaks free.

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2016/11/rob_gronkowski_4th_down_throw.html

This was a good read that I found.

• Nobody

Participant

@DerekPHFD

I’m not sure what one would consider a “Fade player” (meaning that is exclusively what they do?), but Gronk has been great at the route and Brady has been great at throwing it. I would extremely surprised if we didn’t see Gronk/Evans/Brate running and catching Fade routes in 2020.

A lot of what the Patriots have done in the Red Zone is Mesh (crossing routes from opposite sides of the field rubbing Man defenders), orthodox Rub combinations from Stack/Bunch/Trips and/or high low where you have a Crossing Route on the endline over top of a Stick or Crossing Route on the goal-line (creating a high-low read to defeat Cover 6 Zone), or heavy personnel play-action. That is the typical Patriots Redzone Tight suite and its typical across the league.

That is the James White and Edelman stuff you see and Gronk is that Stick/box-out pivot stuff at the goal-line.

However, they still have featured big physical receiver isolated against mismatches on the goal-line where they would throw the Slant the Fade or the Double Move (one off the other). In the last several years, you’ve seen it almost exclusively with Gronk/Bennett and the TE position, but they did it in the past with Lloyd, Moss, et al. Brady is ridiculous good at ball placement/trajectory on those throws on the goal-line.

Also, related to Brady. Its funny but Brady was a bit of a chubby dumpling for the first 5-7 years of his career. I would bet he’s actually a better athlete and would put up better combine numbers (as a mover) now than he did when he first came into the league.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, most QBs get more agile and elusive as they hit their mid-40s……seems legit.

• DerekPHFD

Participant

@nobody maybe the big reason he had gone away from the typical fade route is he trusted the players running mesh routes and crossing more? I do see what you are saying now he has one of the top “go up and get it” receivers in the league with Evans.

It’s also fun to think, on paper, what our red zone offense may look like. Evans, Godwin, OJ, Gronk, Brate. I’m wondering who will be the main red zone back?

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

I’m leaning with Godwin on this one.

• Nobody

Participant

@DerekPHFD

Exactly. Concepts they would run over there (NE) were personnel driven. There is just a dearth of guys in the NFL who (a) can dominate in release against Press Coverage, (b) run a great Fade Route, (c) adjust to the ball in the air, (d) win at the catch point, and (e) do all of it without OPI.

Now that he’s got a few different targets for that here, my guess is we’ll see more of it than we have in the past.

• BucsBay

Participant

@nobody I think you meant to say not a dearth and I agree. For us Evans and now Gronk are really unconverable on the fade if thrown to the right spot

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.