Viewing 49 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Every NFL Team's Biggest Disappointment This OffseasonBy Alessandro Miglio , Featured Columnist Jun 21, 2014 The NFL offseason is full of highs and lows, although it's generally not quite as dramatic as the in-season roller coaster we enjoy come September.Earlier we looked at the top 25 moves of the offseason and the best move at each position. But what were some of the biggest disappointments of the winter and spring?Here is every team's biggest disappointment in the offseason. Some are big, while others are minor. Many are disappointments of the off-field variety.dis_zps03cdb38e.jpgAtlanta FalconsBiggest Disappointment: Not Addressing the Pass RushThe Atlanta Falcons had needs on both sides of the trenches, along the offensive and defensive line.They did a nice job of addressing the offensive line and the interior of the defensive line, but the pass rush still leaves something to be desired in Atlanta. The Falcons had the second-fewest sacks and fifth-lowest sack percentage in the league last season, and they did little to improve that from a personnel standpoint.Tyson Jackson and Paul Soliai were nice additions in the middle along with Ra'Shede Hageman in the draft, but they aren't big pass-rushers. Can the same group of edge-rushers turn things around?dis1_zpsfd1e090b.pngCarolina PanthersBiggest Disappointment: Cutting Steve SmithThe Carolina Panthers didn't have much cap space this offseason, but was cutting Steve Smith really necessary?Carolina had issues at wide receiver before cutting Smith, a stalwart on the offense and a popular player among fans. He might be on the downswing of his career at age 35, but cutting him left the Panthers perilously thin at receiver.Even after signing Jerricho Cotchery and drafting Kelvin Benjamin, Carolina could have used Smith's veteran presence and production, even if it was on the decline. dis3_zpsc22c8770.pngNew Orleans SaintsBiggest Disappointment: Losing Brian De La PuenteBrian De La Puente had been a solid center for the New Orleans Saints, starting every game for the past two seasons and all but four since ascending to starter three years ago.He wasn't just a starter but a quality one at that. He has ranked in the top 16 at center at Pro Football Focus (subscription required) during that span. That includes a 2012 season when he ranked second.That wasn't enough for New Orleans, who now rely on unproven Tim Lelito and 49ers castoff Jonathan Goodwin at the position.dis4_zps75e7f539.pngTampa Bay BuccaneersBiggest Disappointment: Cutting Darrelle RevisThe Tampa Bay Buccaneers had arguably the best cornerback in the league—a shutdown player who can be left on an island without worry—locked down for five more years. Sure, they still had $80 million to pay him too, but was that really too much for a player of Revis' caliber?Keeping him wasn't in the cards, though, as the Buccaneers had other plans this offseason. They were able to jettison his $16 million cap number with zero dead money. It freed up the room for Tampa Bay to sign the most expensive free-agent haul.All those free agents are nice, but the Buccaneers still gave away a transcendent player who is still in his prime.To view every team....link

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And every move or lack of had a sound REASON behind it. 1. Falcons NEED to protect Matt Ryan, who is not so good under pressure. W/O a healthy, functioning Ryan, they are toast, and know it...2. Panthers were already strapped for $$$, so it made no sense to sign a 35 year old vet WR to a new contract.3. Saints much bigger FA moves left them with no $$$. We'll see how much De La Puente is missed; NOTE the Bucs preferred Evan Dietrich-Smith in FA, so I suspect the Saints knew what they were doing...4. Revis was a Buc only because of $$$, and he wasn't gonna take a pay cut, and we had many other needs to fill, all of which take $$$...     To upgrade the team THIS YEAR, Revis needed to go to give us Cap space. Now if AllTerrainVehicle hadn't been signed so cheap, we might still have Revis. Whatever; it's history now...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It stopped being a disappointment the second we signed Verner for like a 10 million a year discount from Revis.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I can see the Saints missing Sproles production more than De La Puente, that’s a lot of production to find elsewhere.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It stopped being a disappointment the second we signed Verner for like a 10 million a year discount from Revis.

i agree 100%

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Purely objectively as I have nothing against Revis, we got rid of a probowler, replaced him with a probowler, saved something like $12 million in the process and he is 3 years younger. That’s a good deal in my books.I realize Regs has multiple probowls, Verner has 1, Revis is supposed to be the best in the league, etc etc but the cost benefit ratio in my mind is fair enough. If you have THE best player and the cost is everybody else around him sucks, it's of not much use is it?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can’t pay a cornerback QUARTERBACK money!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can't pay a cornerback QUARTERBACK money!

Exactly. We made out fine with the Verner addition. Revis would have been nice to pair with Verner but wayyyy too expensive.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i agree 100%

Yep....I think it hard to argue that our biggest disappointment so far this offseason is Carl Nicks.... but really just the OG position in general.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Purely objectively as I have nothing against Revis, we got rid of a probowler, replaced him with a probowler, saved something like $12 million in the process and he is 3 years younger. That's a good deal in my books.I realize Regs has multiple probowls, Verner has 1, Revis is supposed to be the best in the league, etc etc but the cost benefit ratio in my mind is fair enough. If you have THE best player and the cost is everybody else around him sucks, it's of not much use is it?

I think most agree this season we will top the 4-12 record we had with Revis last season…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

With or without Revis, corner is still a big weakness for this team imo.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Purely objectively as I have nothing against Revis, we got rid of a probowler, replaced him with a probowler, saved something like $12 million in the process and he is 3 years younger. That's a good deal in my books.I realize Regs has multiple probowls, Verner has 1, Revis is supposed to be the best in the league, etc etc but the cost benefit ratio in my mind is fair enough. If you have THE best player and the cost is everybody else around him sucks, it's of not much use is it?

Revis is not the best in the league.  In fact, for what we are doing in Tampa, Verner is a better fit.  Also an all-pro.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i agree 100%

Yep....I think it hard to argue that our biggest disappointment so far this offseason is Carl Nicks.... but really just the OG position in general.

If thats the position thats the biggest disappointment.. Ill take it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Richard Sherman is paid more than all but 4 QBs in 2014.  Apparently you can.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For the record, that was stupid money to pay him.  He's a great player but unless he's willing to renegotiate, ala Derrick Brooks, every season, that's a contract that will come back to bite them.  At least that's what I'm hopeful of.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For the record, that was stupid money to pay him.  He's a great player but unless he's willing to renegotiate, ala Derrick Brooks, every season, that's a contract that will come back to bite them.  At least that's what I'm hopeful of.

I think paying Revis what we did was stupid money too, just pointing out the current champ just paid their guy QB money.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think paying Revis what we did was stupid money too, just pointing out the current champ just paid their guy QB money.

Ha!  If your front office needs correction, don''t follow Tampa's direction, that's a fact (I do feel like that's changing though).  If I was in Seattle's shoes, I would have paid him that money too, it's just tough to shell out that kind of cheddar to a position whose success is largely dictated by people in front of him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is the 1st year Sherman was paid that sort of. Money , and they still need to pay Wilson , so we will see down the road if you can or not by who Seattle has to get rid of and if they are still as good.

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

cant believe the  money they gave Revis

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They’re predicting pretty big cap increases the next few years. Sherman’s contract won’t be a big deal if he’s still a good player, just like Revis’ contract wasn’t a big deal.

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

Big enough a deal for the GM to get fired

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They're predicting pretty big cap increases the next few years. Sherman's contract won't be a big deal if he's still a good player, just like Revis' contract wasn't a big deal.

True. I wonder if Kaep is going to be kicking himself when Luck, Wilson and others re-up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Revis deal is not why the GM was fired.  The Schiano deal was.

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

The Revis deal is not why the GM was fired.  The Schiano deal was.

I thought the Schiano hiring was the owners? maybe not. Both deals sucked ballz

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dominik got fired for the team going 28-52 in five years, not for paying a Pro Bowl player 20% over market value. Though, you could argue he partially got fired for trading a 1st round pick for the right to overpay that player.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They're predicting pretty big cap increases the next few years. Sherman's contract won't be a big deal if he's still a good player, just like Revis' contract wasn't a big deal.

True. I wonder if Kaep is going to be kicking himself when Luck, Wilson and others re-up.

Kaep isn't as good as them.

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

Dominik got fired for the team going 28-52 in five years, not for paying a Pro Bowl player 20% over market value. Though, you could argue he partially got fired for trading a 1st round pick for the right to overpay that player.

part of the reason he went 28-52 was by getting no return on several players, one of which was Revis. The GM sucked

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

part of the reason he went 28-52 was by getting no return on several players, one of which was Revis. The GM sucked

Ill agree he sucked.  Revis made the pro bowl, not sure how much more of a return you were expecting?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The year before the Bucs signed Revis they averaged 297 yards per game in pass defense. After adding Revis, they averaged 238 per game.

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

Ill agree he sucked.  Revis made the pro bowl, not sure how much more of a return you were expecting?

The GM gave up picks and millions because he wanted to get a player to a Pro Bowl? I guess that is another reason he got fired

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

The year before the Bucs signed Revis they averaged 297 yards per game in pass defense. After adding Revis, they averaged 238 per game.

and won how many games?who cares about yards per game?Dominik sucked so if he wants to hang his hat on improving yard per game, great.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

and won how many games?who cares about yards per game?Dominik sucked so if he wants to hang his hat on improving yard per game, great.

Nobody is saying Dom was good.  But to say he didnt get a return on players and then use one of the pro bowlers as an example is just silly.  He had many reasons he got fired, but there were a couple things he did right.  A lot of the fan base likes to paint guys black or white, but he was capable of a few good things.

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

Nobody is saying Dom was good.  But to say he didnt get a return on players and then use one of the pro bowlers as an example is just silly.  He had many reasons he got fired, but there were a couple things he did right.  A lot of the fan base likes to paint guys black or white, but he was capable of a few good things.

Dude, he is judged by WINNING and LOSING  not getting guys to Pro Bowls.  His signature move a while back was REVIS, how many games did the team win with Revis?  Don't you think he could've used the money and the picks a little better?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You wanted to know what the return on Revis was. He improved the pass defense by a pretty wide margin. You may recall the Bucs lost a lot of games in 2012 because the pass defense couldn't protect a lead. The problem with 2013 was the offense imploded.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dude, he is judged by WINNING and LOSING  not getting guys to Pro Bowls.  His signature move a while back was REVIS, how many games did the team win with Revis?  Don't you think he could've used the money and the picks a little better?

Yes I do.  But YOU said he didnt get return on players and then used REVIS as an example.  Im not defending Dom, Im asking you to pick a better example of his failure.

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

Yes I do.  But YOU said he didnt get return on players and then used REVIS as an example.  Im not defending Dom, Im asking you to pick a better example of his failure.

how many wins did he get for giving away the Revis picks and paying him $16 million?  The GM is trying to help the team WIN, not gain Pro Bowlers, so how many wins did he get after Revis?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Unless the money and picks for Revis were used on a Pro Bowl QB, the team was still going to suck.

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

You wanted to know what the return on Revis was. He improved the pass defense by a pretty wide margin. You may recall the Bucs lost a lot of games in 2012 because the pass defense couldn't protect a lead. The problem with 2013 was the offense imploded.

I did not ask what the return was on Revis. I said it sucked, same with several players, and that is why the GM was fired. Dominik sucked azz

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

Unless the money and picks for Revis were used on a Pro Bowl QB, the team was still going to suck.

that's a reason to not give up the picks, right? Dominik acted like the Bucs were on the verge, they sucked.  Bad, bad deal.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

A first round pick for a lower echelon team to rent a guy for one season is exceptionally poor value.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A first round pick for a lower echelon team to rent a guy for one season is exceptionally poor value.

It absolutely is.  All I was saying was that dont blame Dom for lack of ROI on Revis...he traded for a probowl player, the return was there. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

that's a reason to not give up the picks, right? Dominik acted like the Bucs were on the verge, they sucked.  Bad, bad deal.

Of course it was a bad deal because the offense was about to implode. My only point was Revis played like the player we thought we were getting.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It absolutely is.  All I was saying was that dont blame Dom for lack of ROI on Revis...he traded for a probowl player, the return was there.

It was stupid to trade for him one year before he would have been a free agent and right before the offense imploded. My only point was his salary wasn't as stupid as people like to think.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The GM and the HC together are charged with winning. Hard to blame a GM for signing a Pro Bowler. Dom deserves blame for the structure of the Revis deal, but he did get a return

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

4 wins.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A poor return on investment is Carl Nicks. Revis was the player we thought we were getting.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A poor return on investment is Carl Nicks. Revis was the player we thought we were getting.

True with Nicks.  Revis?  Not really. He wasn't 100% till we were at least 10 games in.  We paid a kings ransom to rehab the guy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

While the thread topic is disappointments,  I’d just like to say I am simply delighted, elated really, that we don’t have that turd disguised as a franchise QB on our roster this year.  Yeah, that’s on Dom too.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

While the thread topic is disappointments,  I'd just like to say I am simply delighted, elated really, that we don't have that turd disguised as a franchise QB on our roster this year.  Yeah, that's on Dom too.

So true.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

While the thread topic is disappointments,  I'd just like to say I am simply delighted, elated really, that we don't have that turd disguised as a franchise QB on our roster this year.  Yeah, that's on Dom too.

Hopefully that holds true. Only time will tell there.

Please wait…

Viewing 49 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.