Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 36 reply threads

• Author

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Most teams its a debate.

With us? Fairly obvious.

Roberto Aguyao.

What say you?

• BadabingBucs

Participant

While picking a kicker who couldn’t hold down a job at the super market is an awful pick I would think most teams worst picks would have to be first rounders and one with high expectations.

Roberto is one of the worst in recent memory. We’ve had a lot of bust in the first place round

• Anonymous

Inactive

Cheeseburger, Price.

• Roy

Participant

The Bo Jackson pick deserves to be #1 because it was the first overall pick who never played a down for the Bucs. The whole story behind the fiasco adds to the disaster, where Culverhouse blew Jackson’s eligibility to play college baseball, probably on purpose. Then Jackson publicly stated he wouldn’t play for the Bucs and they took him anyway. That was the #1 bust pick by far. (You say “worst pick” not “worst player”)

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Roy.

• Greattimes

Participant

I have often wondered if Culverhouse picked Bo Jackson knowing that Bo would never play for the Bucs. Culverhouse saved a boatload of money by selecting Bo Jackson.

Culverhouse would be one of the top picks for all time worst NFL team owners.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Greattimes.

• theknees

Participant

Bo Jackson. He still laughs at what he did to our franchise. In an era where the RB mattered, he was the best in the business. He set us back for more than a decade.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

While picking a kicker who couldn’t hold down a job at the super market is an awful pick I would think most teams worst picks would have to be first rounders and one with high expectations.

Roberto is one of the worst in recent memory. We’ve had a lot of bust in the first place round

Any kicker in the 2nd is laughable though.

Yet alone one so bad.

1st has higher expectations, but there’s plenty of studs taken beyond the first round. Tom brady anyone?

• Roy

Participant

I have often wondered if Culverhouse picked Bo Jackson knowing that Bo would never play for the Bucs. Culverhouse saved a boatload of money by selecting Bo Jackson.

Culverhouse would be one of the top picks for all time worst NFL team owners.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Greattimes.

Other than the Herschel Walker trade that could be the worst…. that was also a move that could have been about the money.

• TB-BucFan4Life

Participant

Most teams its a debate.

With us? Fairly obvious.

Roberto Aguyao.

What say you?

No, our worst pick and the NFL worst pick of all time is Bo Jackson. It’s like we forfeited the number one over all pick. Dumbest pick ever. Jackson was even adamant that he would not play for Culverhouse and we picked him anyway.

• TB-BucFan4Life

Participant

The Bo Jackson pick deserves to be #1 because it was the first overall pick who never played a down for the Bucs. The whole story behind the fiasco adds to the disaster, where Culverhouse blew Jackson’s eligibility to play college baseball, probably on purpose. Then Jackson publicly stated he wouldn’t play for the Bucs and they took him anyway. That was the #1 bust pick by far. (You say “worst pick” not “worst player”)

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Roy.

Agree 100%

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Touchee. Jackson may be as bad if not worse than aguyao.

They couldn’t even trade him either? Smh.

Steve Young still hurts as well.

• Boid Fink

Participant

Bo Jax 1
      Roberto Aguayo 2
      Jameis Winston 3

• bodydenny

Participant

That Booker Reese pick was pretty awful. If I remember there was some premium talent available at the pick we traded.

• JC5100

Participant

Yea Winston is up there

• bucshot420

Participant

While I agree that Jackson was the biggest waste of a pick, the bucs had a lot of dud pick in the early 90s. One of which was Eric Curry. #6 overall pick from bama. In six years in Tampa he registered 78 tackles with 12 sacks. Both Willie Roaf, and Jerome Bettis went a few picks behind us.

• seekpar

Participant

Chargers- Ryan Leaf

• theknees

Participant

VHIII – this clown. This pick should have sent Licht packing. No balls. Complete phony.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

While Winston was a bust for us, it would have hurt more if Marcus Mariotta turned out good. Since they both were mediocre sort of hard to make him worst pick

For example I feel we got more out of jameis than mike Clayton Cadillac Williams etc

• TCB2W!

Participant

For the Bears, before Mitchell Trubisky, I would have said Kevin White (Rd 1, Pk 7) 2015 draft. 25 receptions in his career. But the price they paid to move up and draft Trubisky makes him their worst pick.

• BuccaNOLEer

Blocked

While I agree that Jackson was the biggest waste of a pick, the bucs had a lot of dud pick in the early 90s. One of which was Eric Curry. #6 overall pick from bama. In six years in Tampa he registered 78 tackles with 12 sacks. Both Willie Roaf, and Jerome Bettis went a few picks behind us.

I don’t know why Culverhouse had a chubby for Alabama players back then. Here’s one that’s even worse than Curry:

1990- Alabama DE/LB Keith McCants #4 overall. Turned out to be a complete disaster. Who was drafted one pick later? HOF LB Junior Seau. Also, Richmond Webb, Emmitt Smith and Lamar Lathon were taken in that round.

• Roy

Participant

VHIII – this clown. This pick should have sent Licht packing. No balls. Complete phony.

Hargreaves did two outstanding things for the Bucs that he deserves credit for.

1) Game saving tackle at the one yard line.
      2) He served as a perfect subject for Arians to make an example of. After he was cut the Bucs basically have never looked back.

He’s definitely top 5, maybe top 3 busts behind Jackson and Aguayo.

“He didn’t look like he was hustling to go in for a tackle,” said Arians, who had called out the entire secondary leading up to Sunday’s tilt, via Jenna Laine of ESPN.

The 24-year-old corner didn’t fight the assessment.

“If that’s what coach saw, that’s what he saw,” Hargreaves said. “There’s no arguing it. I need to hustle, point-blank, end of discussion. And I’ll get better. I’m sure I’ll talk with him this week and we’ll get things straightened out, and we’ll see where to go from here.”

Things got straightened out.

• JC5100

Participant

While Winston was a bust for us, it would have hurt more if Marcus Mariotta turned out good. Since they both were mediocre sort of hard to make him worst pick

For example I feel we got more out of jameis than mike Clayton Cadillac Williams etc

Licht turned down a major haul from Philly for that #1 pick

• theknees

Participant

Licht has done a lot of shitty things since being the GM. He’s as much a boom or bust figure as I can think of in sports.

• Welsh Buc

Participant

Raiders – Jamarcus Russell

• bodydenny

Participant

The MCCants story gets worse. In a pre-draft meeting the team doctor evaluated McCant’s knee.”That knee will hold up for 4,maybe 5,years in the leage.” Ray Perkins supposedly then said:”Well,if we don’t get some pass rush this year,we’re all fired. We’re taking him.”

I don’t know why Culverhouse had a chubby for Alabama players back then. Here’s one that’s even worse than Curry:

1990- Alabama DE/LB Keith McCants #4 overall. Turned out to be a complete disaster. Who was drafted one pick later? HOF LB Junior Seau. Also, Richmond Webb, Emmitt Smith and Lamar Lathon were taken in that round.

• theknees

Participant

Yeah, that good ole boy bullshit that Culverhouse perpetuated set our franchise back in a huge way. He’d be like a pig in shit in today’s America. Ray fucking Perkins….Lolz.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Licht has done a lot of shitty things since being the GM. He’s as much a boom or bust figure as I can think of in sports.

compare Licht to Bruce Allen and the dude will be in canton

Bucs first round picks under his tenure – Michael Clayton, Carnell Williams, Daven Joseph, Gaines Adams, and Aqib Talib. Hit on 2 picks and missed on the 3. Not ideal for first round picks especially with Cadillac and Gaines Adams being like top 5-6 picks.

• JC5100

Participant

Allen was just the contract guy and he did a masterful job of rebuilding and fixing the cap situation while not really taking a big step back.

• BuccaNOLEer

Blocked

Bucs first round picks under his tenure – Michael Clayton, Carnell Williams, Daven Joseph, Gaines Adams, and Aqib Talib. Hit on 2 picks and missed on the 3. Not ideal for first round picks especially with Cadillac and Gaines Adams being like top 5-6 picks.

Cadillac was actually a home run pick. Problem is, like OJ Howard, he couldn’t stay healthy.

• JC5100

Participant

Cadillac was actually a home run pick. Problem is, like OJ Howard, he couldn’t stay healthy.

That’s like saying buying a used car at the price it was when it had 0 miles was a great deal, it just break down.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Cadillac was actually a home run pick.

A “little league” home run, maybe.

• bucshot420

Participant

For us another wasted pick was Dexter Jackson WR. App state. Second round pick that was blazing fast, but severely undersized and scared to take a hit. Sean Lee, Martellius Bennett, and Jamaal Charles were still sitting there when we picked.

Cincinnati I think it’s a toss up between kijana carter and akili smith.

Seattle “ the Boz “

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by bucshot420. Reason: Fixed out correct

• watson

Participant

That Booker Reese pick was pretty awful. If I remember there was some premium talent available at the pick we traded.

Definitely one of the most screwed picks. When the scouts went to his college for his pro day they were amazed at how quickly a player of his size ran the 40 yard dash. It just blew them away and lobbied the GM and HC to draft him in round 1. They drafted Sean Farrell instead due to a miscommunication with their rep at the draft. They then scrambled and traded with the Bears (a division foe) for their 2nd round pick by giving up the Bucs 1st round pick the following year…..which I think the Bears used to select Willie Gault. They later found out that the 40 yard dash was actually something like 36 yards…not 40.

A funny story circulated about him later that when he was given his signing bonus. He went to the local Cadillac dealership and purchased a new car from them. When they asked how we wanted to pay for it, he handed them the check and said he would pay cash.

Not sure if that is true, but…….it is definitely hilarious

• watson

Participant

Definitely one of the most screwed picks. When the scouts went to his college for his pro day they were amazed at how quickly a player of his size ran the 40 yard dash. It just blew them away and lobbied the GM and HC to draft him in round 1. They drafted Sean Farrell instead due to a miscommunication with their rep at the draft. They then scrambled and traded with the Bears (a division foe) for their 2nd round pick by giving up the Bucs 1st round pick the following year…..which I think the Bears used to select Willie Gault. They later found out that the 40 yard dash was actually something like 36 yards…not 40.

A funny story circulated about him later that when he was given his signing bonus. He went to the local Cadillac dealership and purchased a new car from them. When they asked how we wanted to pay for it, he handed them the check and said he would pay cash.

Not sure if that is true, but…….it is definitely hilarious

• watson

Participant

Tony Mandrich has to rank up there.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Aguayo
      Winston
      VH3
      Barron
      Jackson (I don’t really count that)
      Spence was bad but I don’t blame the pick
      Cadillac over Rodgers
      Clayton

• watson

Participant

All the players listed above were bad picks. But if you look at the impact a pick had on the team, the worst pick of all time is Jack “The Over Throwin Somoan” Thompson is the all time worst pick.

Here is the breakdown of the pick:
      In 1983 the Bucs were in QB trouble. The Doug Williams fiasco had left them with no one to lead the team. They made a trade with the Bengals for Jack Thompson. A young QB that was drafted a couple of years before by Cincinnati and was viewed as their QB of the future. The Bucs gave up their 1984 first round pick for Thompson. Thompson ended up being not very good and lasted less than 2 years as the starter.

The pick they gave up for Thompson ended up being the number 1 overall and the Bengals drafted Anthony Munoz (future HOFer) with the pick.

The Bucs still needed a QB so when the USFL draft happened they drafted Steve Young with their pick….the number 1 overall. Had the Thompson pick worked out they could have drafted Reggie White (future HOFer) with the pick and since they needed to replace Lee Roy Selmon due to his back injury the concensus was that White was who they would have taken since he was the best player in the draft.

Young was still not a good QB at that time and was actually used as a FB when he was in the USFL at times. So when Ray Perkins took over he wanted a more traditional drop back passer and traded Young (who ended up as a HOFer after being trained by Walsh) to SF. The Bucs then drafted Testaverde with the number 1 pick….and he ended up not being the answer either.

So if you add it all up, the Thompson trade ended up costing the Bucs 3 number 1 overall picks and 3 HOF players.

That is a bad pick.

• GIJoeWasThere

Participant

Booker Reese, dude was a bum and cost the Bucs a first round pick the next season.

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.