Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 37 reply threads

• Author

• JC5100

Participant

1. It’s likely going to be the best value there. I’m seeing Creed Humphrey and Wyatt Davis still available in most mocks.

2. Donovan Smith, Ryan Jensen and Alex Cappa are all UFA in 2022.

3. Bucs got 728 offensive snaps from backup offensive linemen this season.

Everyone thought it was great when the Chiefs took CEH last year but Mahomes was running for his life in the Super Bowl.

• theknees

Participant

Agreed. It’s why drafting a running back is complete bullshit in the first round. Yes, even if Najee is available. You draft an OL, DL, or QB if you need one.

I like the idea of us taking Leatherwood, Owuzurike, or Eichenberg. Tampa can build these trenches and set us up for years.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Yet you wanted Dalvin Cook

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

Gotta grab Leatherwood, Darrisaw, Ojulari, Tryon, or Nixon in round 1. Fortify the trenches.

Rashawn Slater’s stock is falling big time but he’s definitely a first round talent. If he’s there at the end of round 1, take him or trade back into the top of round 2 and pick up an extra pick.

• m_j

Participant

going LT and cutting smith would be a great cap move, but very risky one. no matter how inconsistent smith is, we know what he is able to do. we are going for two, not the best time for risky moves

we should go either RB, pass rusher or best player available

• JC5100

Participant

Nobody said anything about cutting Smith.

• Team Pteranodon

Participant

Ideally the top pick should be a starter if we’re going for it all again, just like last year. Don’t know what the roster is going to look like, but for example if the line returns intact and Barrett leaves it’s got to be a pass rusher who can start rather than a backup OT or something.

• BucBalla85

Participant

Ol or dl in round 1.

• harrybucman

Participant

Continuing to build the trenches is the winning formula, but I think DL in rd 1, OL rd 2.

• aquilus

Participant

If Alex Leatherwood is there we take him IMHO

• aquilus

Participant

Smith at Tackle was decent toward the end however his cap space doesn’t warrant his talent

He will be a cut and most likely his salary will be used to secure Shaq and David

• Swash

Participant

When you’re picking at #32, it’s best player available. Not like last year when we HAD to draft a tackle(thank the good lord we got the best one in the draft)a

OLB, Offensive Tackle, and Runningback are all options at that spot.

• BucBalla85

Participant

I think going bpa at 32 is smart but you have to be smart about how you do that too. Like I highly doubt this team uses that pick on a wr but if he’s a guy that is way better than what else is available at any important position in football then maybe you have a decent reason to do it. I still think it would be smart to invest in a weak area and make it better. Especially when you have to see what the rest of the league and your opponents for seasons come have done. Actually 32 isn’t a bad place to be when you take it all into consideration.

• KyBucfan51

Participant

Bucs seem to be stacked at skill position with young talent I would go pass rush add some juice to outside keep the Vets fresh.

• SunnyD

Participant

I don’t think it has to be OL but the Bucs sure as hell can’t use another 1st-3rd round pick on a RB.

• Roy

Participant

We have to see what happens in free agency, not only who we resign but who we bring in. Lichts MO is that he has always drafted with the intention that the first round pick will be a starter in year one. But there has always been multiple holes to fill. This time we have the last pick of the round and we might not have any holes once the main free agency period is done. I could see him drafting a player in round one who doesn’t project to be a starter right away such as an O-lineman.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

The fact that we are even considering a RB is asinine…

We can stack the line and throw a JAG back there… Vaughn should be serviceable next year.

Maybe Rojo or Fournette come back cheap for another run?

Maybe go after James White or a pass catching vet…

But certainly not with our picks 1-3

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

In 2021, LT Smith is set to make $14.25 mil and C Jensen is set to make $10 mil.

I’m actually fine with keeping LT Smith and replacing Jensen at center. Remember, we had a backup AQ Shipley hold up okay at center. So we either move RG Cappa to Center and leave Stinnie at RG, or we draft a Center, cut Jensen and his $10 mil, as well as keep Cappa at RG. Or move Cappa to Center and draft a guard. Either way, we need to cut Jensen and his $10 mil cap hit. We can nab a center in the 2nd round.

Then in 2022, we can replace LT Smith in the draft with moving Wirfs to LT and drafting a RT in the first round.

• Bucman

Participant

Bucs are not spending a 1st rounder who’s not going to see the field this year. This an all-in season. If Harris or Williams are there they will take them.

Licht loves small school lineman. He’ll probably take that Wisconsin-Whitewater guy in round 3

• BucsFan83

Participant

Other than Marpet and Cappa who else has he taken in that mold? Marpet was an instant upgrade, took Cappa about two years but I guess you can’t argue with success.

• JC5100

Participant

I started the thread with data showing that the Bucs had use backup offensive linemen for 728 offensive snaps. Some how you interpret that as “never see the field” and are pining for a RB.

Maybe you missed the game but perhaps the biggest reason we won the Super Bowl was the Chiefs and Packers were playing with bad backup LTs after just spending premium picks on RBs.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Id prefer DL over OL, personally.

• SunnyD

Participant

Bucs were pretty fortunate with the number of OL and EDGE injuries they had this season. Odds are any lineman they would draft in the first round is going to play meaningful snaps next year. Stinnie is a FA too remember.

• Bucman

Participant

You can sign and draft back up OL later. You need those back ups to be swing players. Drafting a dude who can only play Tackle or Guard in round 1 is dumb unless he’s starting.

I’m not saying I entirely agree with taking a RB in round 1. But if that RB works out. You got a 5 year starter for cheap and you’ll never have to pay him. Rojo is a FA next year and he’s likely gone.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

Rojo was drafted 38th overall in 2018, six spots away from the 32nd overall pick, which is for the Super Bowl winner.

Rojo’s snap counts in his short career

2018: 8%
          2019: 36%
          2020: 42%

We spent a high 2nd round pick on a run-only RB that has to be red-shirted in his first year in the NFL.

I really want to point out that we own the 32nd pick. Yes, technically a first rounder, but talent-wise, far from a top-5 pick, far from a top-10 pick.

• theknees

Participant

Depends on who is available when we draft. Take the best OL/DL available. Pretty simple.

With Brady, we are afforded the opportunity to really build up the key framework for long term success. You don’t to that by going rb or wr.

• cvillebucfan

Participant

OL could be the pick if there is a player they like that falls to us. OG Wyatt Davis would make a lot of sense. Cappa is solid but Davis would be a solid upgrade that would really solidify our interior with Marpet, Jensen and Davis. This would go a long way to keeping Brady in good shape and allow us to run more effectively. </p>
      <p>There just isn’t much in this draft at DT which is another need. I think FA will obviously dictate the draft. We lose Fournette, RB could be the pick. We lose Barrett, edge would be a huge priority. Our only real immediate needs are at DT, Edge (if we lose Barrett), RB (if we lose Fournette) and upgrading at RG. </p><div class=’code-block code-block-1′ style=’margin: 8px 0; clear: both;’>
      <script async src=”https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js”></script&gt;
      <ins class=”adsbygoogle”
      style=”display:block; text-align:center;”
      data-ad-layout=”in-article”
      data-ad-format=”fluid”
      data-ad-client=”ca-pub-6114677105545158″
      data-ad-slot=”1184249302″>
      <script>
      (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
      </script></div>

<p>If I had to guess now as of today I’d say it will either be OG or RB as I think Fournette will leave.

• Detrimental

Participant

Im fine with upgrading the depth in the trenches. Both sides of the ball we need to get younger.

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

Good teams draft BPA to stay good top 10-15 draft needs… we obviously don’t have a glaring need so we should go BPA at 32… now if we decide to a LT to cut D.Smith then I’ll be cool with that.. and if somehow get a Creed Humphreys in the second and maybe cut/pay cut Jensen then I’d be cool with that too…

• JC5100

Participant

We don’t have to cut any offensive linemen if we draft one at 32. Even when everyone was healthy, Haeg was getting 10-15 snaps a game. Those snaps could go to the rookie. If someone goes down he fills in. Then he takes over for Jenson, Smith or Cappa in 2022.

Good tackles are why 43 year old Brady as able to hit 6th round pick Scotty Miller on a backbreaking bomb. Bad tackles are why Rodgers and Mahomes were under duress the whole game.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

Better organizations draft “BPA + need + salary” when they’re winners. See New England and Baltimore. I would put SF into that area as well.

• m_j

Participant

NE are kings of free agency but they are, apart from finding brady at the bottom of the pile, one of the worst drafting teams.

• seekpar

Participant

Agree as others have said, OL/DL.

Arians won’t let Licht go off the rails and get cute.

• Jahhmmon

Participant

I agree that OL or DL is the play here, but I think this year is a special year. A first round pick is expected to be a starter, and the only thing that’s holding our offense back from being elite is a versatile RB. Brady loves using them when he feels too much pressure and we see the effects that a serviceable RB can do in the Playoffs via Playoff Lenny. OL and DL is better for the future, and a developmental pass rusher or olineman would help with the cap in the future and development of the player. But what if a good RB is what gives us the edge for another Super Bowl?

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

The difference in the Super Bowl was the Bucs won the trenches.

We are still weak running the ball. If you want to help Brady, then improve the run game. Remember, we couldn’t punch it in from a yard out twice against the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. That should scare every Buc fan b/c that could have changed the course of the game. We had RB Jones, our hardest runner, and he couldn’t bust through twice from a yard from the goal line!

The ability to run means we can be a two-dimensional offense that LB’s are forced to respect. That will give Brady ample time to dissect the field.

• JC5100

Participant

That was the coaches fault. They hadn’t used Vea on offense the entire year and then do it in the Super Bowl and they wasted a down throwing to Haeg.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Yeah very strange play call when you can just keep running it down their throat.

Still think Rojo was in but the camera was blocked when he crossed

• seekpar

Participant

Get a proven RB through FA, draft OL/DL. Do you guys really feel there will be a Brady-style RB at the 32nd pick that will step in and start right away and produce? Nah.

• Bucman

Participant

Yeah his name is Javonta Williams

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bucs should draft trenches as much as possible in rounds 1-4.

And, keep last season OL and DL in tact.

Also, sign as many mid-tier FAs for the trenches as needed.

As to OPs point, if a cheaper/ better replacement comes along (Brady effect), then and only then should they consider cost cutting moves like Smith and Jensen, or moving Cappa to back up G/C.

^^mtn^^
      since ’76

• BucsBay

Participant

Best value looks like it would be at edge rusher, which is good since Shaq looks like he will be hard to bring back.

• buc-in-out

Participant

What if BPA at 32 is Travis Etienne?

• JC5100

Participant

You mean like Edwards-Helaire falling to the Chiefs last year. How did that work out?

• buc-in-out

Participant

I’m not disagreeing with OP, I’d actually prefer we go with OL or DL at 32.

But I do think there is added value at grabbing an RB at 32, you have the 5th year option which is very nice. I think giving a record breaking 2nd contract to an RB is kinda foolish, but if Etienne is there at 32 and we use him for 5 years well and he walks to sign a big second contract, and we get a 3rd round compensatory pick in return? I think that’s a 32nd overall pick used well…

I think CEH was a fine pick at 32 for the Chiefs, they were decimated at OL, losing Dr Canada and Osemele their staring guards early, as well as both tackles late. I don’t think he’s a bust, I think he’ll steadily improve and show his worth in the passing game going forward.

• Bucman

Participant

Worked out pretty damn well actually.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Truth

CEH looks pretty good tho, and I thought he actually played pretty well in the SB

• Greattimes

Participant

Who, or what position the Bucs draft will be predicated on the Bucs ability to reach agreements with their own FA’s before the draft.

• Mic

Participant

Draft another tackle that can play inside if needed, if that line is good Brady is good. A pass catching runningback that safe out the backfield is james white on the cheap or a rojo and Vaughn offseason on the jugs machine. He doesn’t need a playmaker he needs a rb with surehands, there is always better value for runningbacks in the later rounds anyways. You spend that first rounder in the trenches or a Cb if you’re not gonna pay Carlton davis 15M next year.

First round Running back is flashy but shortsighted because 5 years from now he’s not gonna be on the team because he wants 6m per year.

• Swash

Participant

5 years is an eternity for runningbacks. I think it’s smart financially to take guys who you’ll get their best years out of for below market value.

• Biggs3535

Participant

You mean like Edwards-Helaire falling to the Chiefs last year. How did that work out?

I’d guess the Chiefs were pretty happy getting 1100 yards from scrimmage from their first-rounder while returning to the Superbowl.

• JC5100

Participant

You’re right he was a big part of their return to the Super Bowl. 8 touches for 8 yards in the AFC playoffs!

• FireLicht2020

Participant

CEH didn’t make them any better… I thought he’d be elite in pass pro but he wasn’t… maybe next year.

He was a non-factor most of the year.

• Diehard Astheycome

Participant

I’m in agreement with the vast majority. You NEVER get away from what truly makes or breaks teams which is the trenches.
      It’s very enticing to want a flashy player but it’s not like we DONT HAVE Rojo and Vaughn! No RB is gonna come in and take Rojo job. You can find a good pass pro guy with adequate hands later. Or a quality low cost FA at RB.
      You know when you got a dominant Oline , the running back looks so much better!! Not to mention protection for a statue at QB who IS a huge part of the team.
      We took Vita Vea when we needed secondary help, look how that panned out. Problem is we wasted a dozen picks trying to get the damn secondary fixed. We now are thin in the trenches. The only thing you don’t do is “reach” for say a 2-3rd best IDL when there is a better O lineman there, even if he’s the 5-6th one off the board. Dline is weak in this year draft opposed to Oline.
      Honestly D Smith played relatively well but Tackle is probably where I’d go all things even.

• BucBalla85

Participant

I think drafting a rb in rd 1 is dumb unless we know hes going to make that much of a difference at that position. Like you basically know you are getting a Christian McCaffrey or similar player.

Problem with that is you aren’t getting a sure thing like that at 32 and you don’t know if he will be a sure thing at any point in the draft. Sometimes you just have a pretty good hunch that this guy will be good in the NFL and everyone agrees at that, but guys like that go at top of the draft because of that reason. The other reason I don’t draft a rb that high is because Brady needs to have that trust in his rb.

A guy making the jump from college to the NFL is not easy and it’s even harder when you are expected to be able to block and catch out of the backfield. I think it takes some time to build that trust with Brady. For those reasons I think drafting a rb at 32 is not a great idea. Unless again he really is can’t miss and everyone is really shocked this dude made it that far. I just have a hard time seeing that at 32.

• Roy

Participant

In the mock draft roundup Najee Harris was selected by Ledyard and another guy, while Reynolds had Javonte Williams and another guy had Travis Etienne. So there is a line of thinking by media types that RB is a possibility. You get a stud guy who in the past may have gone in the early to mid 1st round, but in today’s NFL they are afraid to draft a RB that high. Still you would get a 5th year. Great for the team, but I’m not sure I like the idea as a running back. You get used like a low budget rented mule for five years and then the team moves on, or if they want to squeeze another year out of you they can franchise tag you.

But, I can see the attraction to this idea.

1) The Bucs with all their receiving weapons still like to run the ball a fair amount.
      2) The Bucs would like to get a player who can contribute right away as they are trying to win again before Brady hangs up the cleats.
      3) Harris is a good receiver and Brady desperately needs a guy who can catch the outlet pass.

So I’m warming up to the idea of RB.

• JC5100

Participant

It’s completely short sighted and not comprehending what they watched in the NFC championship and Super Bowl. Packers and Chiefs lines had multiple starters out and the Bucs just teed off. When Marpet was out the offense was terrible vs the Saints and Rams. When Smith was out the Bucs almost lost to the Falcons after being shutout in the 1st half.

A guy like Wyatt Davis could easily take Cappa’s starting spot. He’s a fringe starter who’s UFA in 2022. To act like he can’t be unseated by a guy who was projected as a Top 15 pick before the season is bizarre.

• Bucman

Participant

Some of you act like Rojo is a world beater. He can’t catch or block. Vaughn looked meh in his limited time and was benched numerous times for his lack of ball security.

If you can get a RB like Harris at 32 you do it. This team has no glaring needs besides a stud RB

• JC5100

Participant

RB is not even year to year anymore. Its week to week. We got Fournette off the scrap heap after the Jags took him 4th overall. Undrafted Philip Lindsey has outrushed #2 overall pick Saquan Barkley from the same draft.

If Fournette doesn’t come back options to replace him are James White, Latavius Murray (assuming he’s cut) or my favorite idea is to see if the Lions would give up Kerryon Johnson for a late pick.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

We have rojo next year and Vaughn… I don’t understand wtf we are even discussing here…?

Sign Rex Buckhead or some shit…

• Biggs3535

Participant

my favorite idea is to see if the Lions would give up Kerryon Johnson for a late pick.

He was a great weapon out of the backfield as a rookie, but he’s been pretty bad the last two years. White and Murray would definitely be interesting options, as well as Johnson – who could bounce back.

I think too many people get pigeonholed into a position. The team needs to let the draft come to them and take the best player available, whether that’s a DL, OL, or RB.

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.