Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 74 reply threads

• Author

• Havok904

Participant

Per sources with direct knowledge of both the NFL’s deliberations and the current and expected medical and scientific developments in the coming weeks and months, there is an “extremely small” chance that there will be no NFL season in 2020.

• buc_boi

Participant

“Extremely small”
      The two words havok hears more and more these days.

I always knew

• Havok904

Participant

• Havok904

Participant

buc_boi
      “Extremely small”
      The two words havok hears more and more these days.

I always knew.
      ____
      The closest number to your IQ is the number of teeth you have.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

College football is in serious jeopardy in 2020

• Havok904

Participant

• Havok904

Participant

• Havok904

Participant

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

Good, because IT DOESN’T MATTER :-)

• Havok904

Participant

College Football is great!!!

• Bootz04

Blocked

There’s no “extremely small” chance that the season will be canceled. It’s more like near certainty. The NFL thought they were above reproach and untouchable. They have no control over the pandemic. In a week or so “extremely small” will jump up to “tentative”. And that will then become OTAs, mini camp, TC pushed back. The NFL needs to wake up. This is the new normal and until there’s a safe way to navigate, there will be no significantly large gatherings.

• Havok904

Participant

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

There’s no “extremely small” chance that the season will be canceled. It’s more like near certainty. The NFL thought they were above reproach and untouchable. They have no control over the pandemic. In a week or so “extremely small” will jump up to “tentative”. And that will then become OTAs, mini camp, TC pushed back. The NFL needs to wake up. This is the new normal and until there’s a safe way to navigate, there will be no significantly large gatherings.

OK, debbie downer

• JC5100

Participant

100% chance they play. It’s already coming out that the numbers initially reported maybe inaccurate because they’re just labeling everything Covid. Read one article saying cardiac deaths are down 40% since this started. Did people stop having heart attacks or are they just labeling it Covid and not doing an autopsy.

• Havok904

Participant

Translation: There’s a good chance that NFL games will be played.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I doubt it, all schools across the country should be back to ‘normal’ in the fall. I don’t see any reason they can’t play football this fall, it may be ugly at first with limited practice time but no one will care, they’ll get it on TV to make sure that money comes in.

• Bootz04

Blocked

OK, debbie downer

Unlike you I’m not an idiot who lives in the world if fantasy and make believe. Debbie downer? What are you a 6 year old girl? Grow up. This situation is real. And it’s not going to just go away overnight like you want it to. The league knows this too.

Step 1: International series cancelled.

• Bootz04

Blocked

I doubt it, all schools across the country should be back to ‘normal’ in the fall. I don’t see any reason they can’t play football this fall, it may be ugly at first with limited practice time but no one will care, they’ll get it on TV to make sure that money comes in.

Americans are so delusional and arrogant. There will be no “back to normal”. We have to adapt to a new normal.

• Anonymous

Inactive

The #s aren’t the issue. It’s the contagion factor and just like with guns, our appetite to have 3 or 4 people we know personally, suck the pipe for the greater good. I am all for getting the economy rolling but, I am not sure how much my family will be participating in this, back to normal movement. Fucked up times.

• seekpar

Participant

IMHO the games will go on. By the time fall comes around there likely will be resources to test players, coaches, staff, etc. as often as deemed necessary. The bigger question is whether or not fans will be allowed into the stadiums. We have season tickets, but we’re unsure of putting ourselves in such close proximity with hundreds/thousands of other people.

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

OK, debbie downer

Unlike you I’m not an idiot who lives in the world if fantasy and make believe. Debbie downer? What are you a 6 year old girl? Grow up. This situation is real. And it’s not going to just go away overnight like you want it to. The league knows this too.

Oh, excuse me: Deborah Downer!

Is that better?

• garfield

Participant

OK, debbie downer

Is that better?

Negative Nancy applies, too. Nobody thinks this is just going to disappear but at some point in time we have to try and get back to normalcy or there will be nothing to come back to.

• Captain Hindsight

Participant

If there’s another flare up in cases right before the season starts I think the season will be toast. Also, what are the odds they could potentially play games in an empty stadium, would the owners even approve that?

• Anonymous

Inactive

If there’s another flare up in cases right before the season starts I think the season will be toast. Also, what are the odds they could potentially play games in an empty stadium, would the owners even approve that?

TV money trumps local revenue from stadiums so the games will go on.

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

NFL Football is the only sport in the world THAT MATTERS.

• BP1

Participant

All I know is if they are going to play in empty stadiums they better pipe in some crowd noise. It will seem odd watching a game in complete silence other than the play-by-play.

• Bootz04

Blocked

OK, debbie downer

Is that better?

Negative Nancy applies, too. Nobody thinks this is just going to disappear but at some point in time we have to try and get back to normalcy or there will be nothing to come back to.

Simpletons like you and your boy are simply too stupid to grasp the enormity of the situation. That’s why you resort to name calling. Your take is even dumber. As someone mentioned a few posts up the contagion factor is the major issue. An NFL organization is hundreds of people each week in close contact with each other. 1 person is all it takes. Just 1 and it’s back to where we started.

But I’ll stop wasting my energy trying to explain it to a loser such as yourself.

• Havok904

Participant

• Havok904

Participant

• RudeGuy

Participant

Now we will know for sure if the rumors of the season beginning later (mid-October) are true or not.

• buccnation

Participant

There will be an NFL season.

• Buc on the Move

Participant

So when players/coaches test positive during the season, they are just banned until they can pass 2 negatives or something?

I find it hard to believe the virus won’t infect one of the coaches/players/officials/ballboys/etc. that are needed to conduct each game. Then what? A team has to play without one of their stars, because they tested positive, but the game goes on?

Good thing for the Broncos that Von Miller already got it, I guess.

I really, really, really want this season to happen…more than the last 12 years or so, but I think the reality could be a lot trickier than our collective dream.

The NFL, while having the advantage of a later season, is at a disadvantage when it comes to the fact that social distancing is unpossible, and teams/staffs are so large.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think they have shown that having Covid19 once doesn’t eliminate the possibility of acquiring it again.

So when players/coaches test positive during the season, they are just banned until they can pass 2 negatives or something?

I find it hard to believe the virus won’t infect one of the coaches/players/officials/ballboys/etc. that are needed to conduct each game. Then what? A team has to play without one of their stars, because they tested positive, but the game goes on?

Good thing for the Broncos that Von Miller already got it, I guess.

I really, really, really want this season to happen…more than the last 12 years or so, but I think the reality could be a lot trickier than our collective dream.

The NFL, while having the advantage of a later season, is at a disadvantage when it comes to the fact that social distancing is unpossible, and teams/staffs are so large.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think they have shown that having Covid19 once doesn’t eliminate the possibility of acquiring it again.

That is not widespread. That ‘might’ have happened a handful of times. That is no different than any vaccine. A vaccine doesn’t give you 100% immunity. It relies on it being given to a large enough percentage of the population to prevent the disease to spread.

There are two things that make CoVid19 not nearly as big of a deal as the media wants to scare you into believing. The ‘death rate’ is far lower than they hype it up to be and that is because of the second reason. Far more people have gotten it than will ever know because a significant percentage (possibly as high as 50%) never show symptoms. That means that the death rate is at least half of what they claim. The media has a vested interest into scaring the crap out of people endlessly.

Very few healthy people are dying from CoVid. It’s primarily older and obese people or people with health conditions that are exacerbated by the symptoms of CoVid.

The hospitals aren’t overcrowded, so the ‘flattening the curve’ rhetoric is working and it’s time to start to move on. People need to not be disgusting slobs and realize how to take care of themselves. Hopefully this taught them that much. Wash your damn hands, if you’re sick stay the F home. It’s not really that much harder than that.

• Anonymous

Inactive

That is not widespread. That ‘might’ have happened a handful of times. That is no different than any vaccine. A vaccine doesn’t give you 100% immunity. It relies on it being given to a large enough percentage of the population to prevent the disease to spread.

There are two things that make CoVid19 not nearly as big of a deal as the media wants to scare you into believing. The ‘death rate’ is far lower than they hype it up to be and that is because of the second reason. Far more people have gotten it than will ever know because a significant percentage (possibly as high as 50%) never show symptoms. That means that the death rate is at least half of what they claim. The media has a vested interest into scaring the crap out of people endlessly.

Very few healthy people are dying from CoVid. It’s primarily older and obese people or people with health conditions that are exacerbated by the symptoms of CoVid.

The hospitals aren’t overcrowded, so the ‘flattening the curve’ rhetoric is working and it’s time to start to move on. People need to not be disgusting slobs and realize how to take care of themselves. Hopefully this taught them that much. Wash your damn hands, if you’re sick stay the F home. It’s not really that much harder than that.

This is my soapbox. I have zero right or left leanings politically. We can all agree that Trump is a dipshit and a horrible human being, while embracing the many freedoms our country allows us. We can also agree that the economy needs to open up. Yes, this virus hurts those that don’t take care of themselves. If you are a fat, undulating, piece of garbage, who doesn’t eat right or exercise, just stay the fuck home. Pretty simple.

• garfield

Participant

OK, debbie downer

Is that better?

Simpletons like you and your boy are simply too stupid to grasp the enormity of the situation. That’s why you resort to name calling. Your take is even dumber. As someone mentioned a few posts up the contagion factor is the major issue. An NFL organization is hundreds of people each week in close contact with each other. 1 person is all it takes. Just 1 and it’s back to where we started.

But I’ll stop wasting my energy trying to explain it to a loser such as yourself.

As someone who works in healthcare, nobody is disagreeing with your premise. The point is, the economy and this country can’t afford to continue to go without businesses being open and staying at home for months on end, the economy is already wrecked and there will be nothing to come back to. At some point you have to start opening stuff back up, just take the proper precautions. If you don’t want to go out, by all means stay home.

• ryan24

Participant

Empty stadiums is likely a foregone conclusion without some sort of advance in the vaccination front.

The biggest concern will be what happens if a team has a breakout and loses a number of players for a few weeks at the very least. Maybe a shrug of the shoulders and a “those are the breaks” is the attitude taken. I don’t think that will be the case though. There also could be issues of avoiding legal action by anyone in any organization within the league on various levels.

It is an extremely complicated situation for any league to deal with which goes far beyond “we have to get back to normal”….a concept I agree with.

• Patsboy12

Participant

I hope you’re wrong, but I think you could be right.

• Pewter Pirate

Participant

Yep there will be a shrug of the shoulders. Much like the shrugs that happen when a few players in the locker room have the flu. Much like the flu a lot of players will just play through the illness.

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

Exactly!
      Bring your ventilator to the sidelines if you have to!

# jordan rules

:-0

• m_j

Participant

probably more in jeopardy than NFL, but I wouldn‘t put money an any of them

whatever, if they skip the season it will be highly interesting to see what they‘re gonna do with draft.

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

College football is so screwed. THANK GOODNESS!

They’ve got like, 700 teams. No way you can manage that shit show.

Scoot over and let THE MEN play.
      Go back to basketweaving class, cheaters.
      So sad that we’ll miss a month of 59-12 scores.

• Captain Hindsight

Participant

Seems like some people are confusing the fact with them wanting football to return, with should and will it return.

When if/it does return, what happens when an elderly coach gets it and dies? The season is done at that point. Even with empty stadiums there is still hang ups.

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

Ebola drug

• Havok904

Participant

The Bucs go 10-6.
      What do you say?

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

OK, after thinking it over & talking with a few chaps… I’ll side with the people that are saying EMPTY STADIUMS are the most likely scenario for 2020 [unless things change DRASTICALLY for the better in the next 4-6 weeks (not likely)].

Too much Liability.

Not good for all the season ticket holders- and people making travel arrangements.

The key is getting widespread distribution of “ebola drug”, etc.
      That “could” bring back normalcy…

We’ll see.

• RudeGuy

Participant

Seems like some people are confusing the fact with them wanting football to return, with should and will it return.

When if/it does return, what happens when an elderly coach gets it and dies? The season is done at that point. Even with empty stadiums there is still hang ups.

Arians has had past health issues and we do have Tom Moore still on the staff. This should concern everyone with the NFL as several teams have coaches within the age of vulnerability.

• BucsSavant

Participant

Weakling mentality. This game is a metaphor for life, in that only the strong survive. The same approach should be taken here.

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

I know the coaches are always preaching “next man up”– but when it applies to them, they’ll be cowering in fear– especially if it’s literal! :-)

• BucsSavant

Participant

I know the coaches are always preaching “next man up”– but when it applies to them, they’ll be cowering in fear– especially if it’s literal! :-)

Coaches- like so many other “leaders”- tend to be cowards.

• Bootz04

Blocked

The NFL isn’t about to commission 50+ men being together on game days, practices, locker rooms, etc. No other sport is going on right now except WWE and even they are having issues operating within their budget.

The liability is just too great.

• Captain Hindsight

Participant

Weakling mentality. This game is a metaphor for life, in that only the strong survive. The same approach should be taken here.

Game
      Life or Death

Pick one

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

Sucks for the kids and those who like/watch college football and I hope for their sake that it doesn’t happen. Me, I couldn’t care less.

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

Are Matt Vasgersian and Gus Johnson still announcing college games?

If so, and the season is cancelled– I’d say that would be a good trade-off…

• BucHarbour

Participant

The season will go on. There are literally billions on the line. Further more, if you chart the confirmed cases and deaths against the US population, you’ll have to stretch the chart down a lot for confirmed cases to be more than a couple pixels and deaths to even show a line. People see the numbers and they think the disease is just everywhere, but they don’t understand scale. Plus the DHS study confirmed that COVID dies quickly exposed to UV light in warm, humid environments. This disease is going to die out quickly during the next month or so.

As far as the teams and personnel go, the anti-body tests will be widely available in the coming months (the one that is 100% accurate, not the earlier less accurate version) and the NFL can have a screening policy to screen and isolate teams and staff in hotels just before a game. Whether or not they play in front of fans, is the big question mark. As more and more people come to realize that this disease, while it can be deadly for older folks with comorbidities, it’s not all that it was spun up to be. The latest Stanford study, combined with the handful of anti-body screening studies, seem to indicate that the ultimate mortality rate is going to fall in the 0.1-0.7% range, which means we can deal with it more like the flu, with maybe a little more precautions.

I should also mention that a human generated anti-body for SARS was found to be effective against COVID (they are both coronavirus variants, and COVID-19 is also referred to as Sars2-cov-var). This anti-body, since it’s human originated, will likely make it through trials quickly and be available for treating the disease during the fall. Not too mention that two treatments exist now (hydroxychloroquine+Zinc+Z-pack and Remdesivir). Both therapeutic treatments have been highly effective as long as they are given at the appropriate time. So by the time the fall hits, I think most Americans will be chomping at the bit for normalcy, and will likely have it by then as the threat of death will be far, far lower by then.

• DCGoth

Participant

All I know is if they are going to play in empty stadiums they better pipe in some crowd noise. It will seem odd watching a game in complete silence other than the play-by-play.

They could pull it off to make it good on television. Tight shots to the field and sidelines, then during breaks they could pan crowds at local watch parties, kinda like you see during the NHL Playoffs. It wouldn’t be exact, and the crowds would be more spread out, but you could get some fan noise for the cameras.

Post-game could still exist with tight shots to the field and then close in for interviews. It wouldn’t be perfect, but I think they could make it work.

I’d rather have a beer bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy.

• Anonymous

Inactive

If this is anything like MERs, hear and UV does not kill it. The Middle East is where that disease originated and it has shown to be viral and resistant to their sun and heat, survived on surfaces for up to three days…no?

The season will go on. There are literally billions on the line. Further more, if you chart the confirmed cases and deaths against the US population, you’ll have to stretch the chart down a lot for confirmed cases to be more than a couple pixels and deaths to even show a line. People see the numbers and they think the disease is just everywhere, but they don’t understand scale. Plus the DHS study confirmed that COVID dies quickly exposed to UV light in warm, humid environments. This disease is going to die out quickly during the next month or so.

As far as the teams and personnel go, the anti-body tests will be widely available in the coming months (the one that is 100% accurate, not the earlier less accurate version) and the NFL can have a screening policy to screen and isolate teams and staff in hotels just before a game. Whether or not they play in front of fans, is the big question mark. As more and more people come to realize that this disease, while it can be deadly for older folks with comorbidities, it’s not all that it was spun up to be. The latest Stanford study, combined with the handful of anti-body screening studies, seem to indicate that the ultimate mortality rate is going to fall in the 0.1-0.7% range, which means we can deal with it more like the flu, with maybe a little more precautions.

I should also mention that a human generated anti-body for SARS was found to be effective against COVID (they are both coronavirus variants, and COVID-19 is also referred to as Sars2-cov-var). This anti-body, since it’s human originated, will likely make it through trials quickly and be available for treating the disease during the fall. Not too mention that two treatments exist now (hydroxychloroquine+Zinc+Z-pack and Remdesivir). Both therapeutic treatments have been highly effective as long as they are given at the appropriate time. So by the time the fall hits, I think most Americans will be chomping at the bit for normalcy, and will likely have it by then as the threat of death will be far, far lower by then.

• DCGoth

Participant

Metaphors can’t file wrongful death lawsuits. This is about real people facing real risks. I’m certain the NFL will evaluate everything inside and out. I’m willing to bet that no one here wants to see the season cancelled. The same is more than likely true with respect to players, coaches, owners, advertisers, etc. They’re just going to have to evaluate things as time moves forward.

The medical field learns something new about this virus probably on an almost daily basis. This, along with time, gives the NFL something that was not afforded to other sports, such as MLB, NHL, NBA. Germany announced today that they will be playing soccer to empty stadiums, so there is precedence. We probably won’t know for certain until we start getting closer to the season.

MLB wants to try to play a season to empty stadiums in limited locations. Should that become a reality, it may offer the NFL some insight into how well it plays.

• DCGoth

Participant

two treatments exist now (hydroxychloroquine+Zinc+Z-pack and Remdesivir).

Hydroxychloroquine, from recent studies, is now contraindicated due to lack of effectiveness and a higher death rate, possibly due to the damage the drug can do to the heart.

Remdesivir, while not a miracle cure, does show promise in shortening the length of illness and has a slightly lower death rate, as it can block the virus from reproducing. Not a wonder drug, but it’s a start.

The latest treatment, now getting the go-ahead, is anticoagulants, due to the fact that COVID-19 tends to cause unusually high clotting in a number of cases. This is why a healthy thirty year-old can drop dead after looking fine, as the clotting can, possibly, cause a pulmonary embolism. It is this unpredictable clotting factor that is showing how this virus can kill anyone, even though, as mentioned, a number of people show no symptoms at all, or very few.

This is a new virus and little us still known. At least we have the advantage of global attempts at trying to beat it. When I was twenty or so, HIV was first hitting people. That was a terrifying time, and while there are treatments now, there was no urgency to find treatments at the beginning. Forty years later, there is still no vaccine, but we now have forty years of scientific data on the disease. That data is what we lack with COVID-19. That is what increases the fear factor.

• Bootz04

Blocked

I honestly feel sorry for the naive insight to this situation. People like you actually believe this will all go away and the “games will go on” as you say because billions is on the line.

Open your eyes. They postponed the Olympics a full year. The Olympics. Multiple billions were on the line. The NBA, MLB, movie industry, music industry as well have come to stop with billions on the line. Money won’t be the motivation to get things back to what they were. Trump already tried that. Money can’t fix the situation. Not when people are dying, losing their jobs, income, way of life.

You’re playing the role of hopeful yet naive, optimistic yet ignorant casual fan. You’re clearly speaking from your heart and not your head. The games won’t go on. The NFL has already moved in that direction. Supposedly this schedule released tonight will include contingencies. Now that wouldn’t be necessary to do if “the games were going to go on regardless”.

• Pewter Pirate

Participant

Reading a lot of these arguments. A lot of people thought the NFL should cancel the draft. The draft occurred. NFL just released that they are developing protocols for opening facilities. The NFL is releasing a schedule tonight. Unlike the cancelling of the Olympics, the NFL is moving towards opening the season. Actions speak a lot louder than words. All of the actions taken by the NFL is that the 2020 season is happening.

• Bootz04

Blocked

Their “actions” don’t involve much at all. Most of their actions are in fact words

They’ve already canceled in person offseason workouts, OTAs, closed facilities league wide. Yes the draft went forward but it was all virtual and there was no in person contact. Speaking of actions, the international games were all canceled. The protocols put in place have yet to be implemented or put into action. They are releasing a schedule but as previously stated their schedule comes with a plan B.

Time is literally the only thing they have on their side right now. Key words being RIGHT NOW. They can release a schedule, draft players, announce protocols because it doesn’t actually involve doing anything. As time goes on, things will be canceled, postponed, moved around etc.

For now the league can play fans like a fiddle and get them to believe all is well. This won’t be the case in a few months.

Reading a lot of these arguments. A lot of people thought the NFL should cancel the draft. The draft occurred. NFL just released that they are developing protocols for opening facilities. The NFL is releasing a schedule tonight. Unlike the cancelling of the Olympics, the NFL is moving towards opening the season. Actions speak a lot louder than words. All of the actions taken by the NFL is that the 2020 season is happening.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Their “actions” don’t involve much at all. Most of their actions are in fact words

They’ve already canceled in person offseason workouts, OTAs, closed facilities league wide. Yes the draft went forward but it was all virtual and there was no in person contact. Speaking of actions, the international games were all canceled. The protocols put in place have yet to be implemented or put into action. They are releasing a schedule but as previously stated their schedule comes with a plan B.

Time is literally the only thing they have on their side right now. Key words being RIGHT NOW. They can release a schedule, draft players, announce protocols because it doesn’t actually involve doing anything. As time goes on, things will be canceled, postponed, moved around etc.

For now the league can play fans like a fiddle and get them to believe all is well. This won’t be the case in a few months.

Bootz is right here. I would never watch what is happening tonight in year’s past. Cant wait to watch tonight. Too many variables with this virus. I suspect there will be many addendums to this schedule in the next few weeks. I think the one thing we will see is, all of the out of conference games will occur the first 6 weeks of the season.

• Bootz04

Blocked

Bootz is right here. I would never watch what is happening tonight in year’s past. Cant wait to watch tonight. Too many variables with this virus. I suspect there will be many addendums to this schedule in the next few weeks. I think the one thing we will see is, all of the out of conference games will occur the first 6 weeks of the season.

Likewise. I never got into the fanfare that was the NFL releasing their schedule. But this year, they know it’s different. Why else would it take 3 hours to talk about something that’ll be released online?

• kenntak

Participant

This is not only an old person’s disease. There are now 64 cases of Kawasaki disease in New York that are probably linked to the Coronavirus. That is scary stuff, as there are young kids being put on ventilators. Weakling disease? Tell that to the parents of those children.

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

Fauci throws some SHADE on the NFL season today.

Risky to get game/airline tickets at this point…

• Pewter Pirate

Participant

NY reopening May 15. Baseball likely opening July 4. This country is opening back up and so will the NFL

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

Baseball will be played with NO FANS the ENTIRE season. It’s literally in their “plan”.

NBA is pretending that they are “back in business”. They are not. — Should skip straight to the Finals & have EVERYTHING done in 7 games or less. (Bucks/Lakers)

These “openings” you boast of are underwhelmingly timid, and rightfully so.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not looking good, but if by September this isn’t dealt with, and the economy continues to take a beating, there will be MAJOR problems that will make us forget about sports for a while. I suspect a lot of rioting and whatnot. Can’t have everything shut down in this flimsy structure of ours, and expect people to not get very very concerned, scared and angry.

• TampaBayBucs55

Participant

Just saw the yesterday that the NFL extended its virtual training protocol through the end of May. It was originally scheduled to end tommorow. I, sadly, belive the above posters are correct. This will be the first of many many changes to the existing NFL schedule/protocol, and depending on what happens these next couple of months, the whole thing could get cancelled. They don’t want to admit it, but an outright cancellation could become a grim reality if there is a late 2nd wave of this BS.

But as the guy above stated, the NFL cancelling its season will be the least of our worries. If a second wave happens and buisnesses remain closed (or go from opening up, back to closing again) for another extended period of time, there will be anarchy and blood in the streets. The truth is noone really knows whats going to happen. Everyone, even, the “experts” are just giving it thier best guess. The are sad,, scary,, and uncertain times. I pray for the best, that this crap just blows over the couple months and we can all get back to our lives as they were … or something close to how they were at least.

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

Baseball will be played with NO FANS the ENTIRE season. It’s literally in their “plan”.

NBA is pretending that they are “back in business”. They are not. — Should skip straight to the Finals & have EVERYTHING done in 7 games or less. (Bucks/Lakers)

These “openings” you boast of are underwhelmingly timid, and rightfully so.

Almost 2 months later, and things have NOT gotten better.

So sad.
      So sad what Chy-na did!

• Bootz04

Blocked

LMAO!!! Idiot

NY reopening May 15. Baseball likely opening July 4. This country is opening back up and so will the NFL

• buccaneerNW

Participant

Exactly how are they planning to deal with the certainty that players and coaches will contract COVID, some will be hospitalized, and their families will get it too. Are they going to test players every day and quarantine them as soon as they’re sick? The locker room is basically a guaranteed transmission space. And what does the NFL say when an elderly/at-risk coach dies because they picked it up from their team? What does the NFL say then? Sorry, but we just HAD to play?

And what about when key players get this thing and it throws the competitive balance outta whack? And it’s gonna be dependent on where the team plays — if Florida and Texas are spiking, those teams are at a disadvantage. I guess you could say “oh well” to the competitive issues.

I’d say there’s almost no chance of playing games with spectators… The sidelines will require distancing… blah blah blah… but even all the extreme measures can’t deal with preventing transmission. The nature of the sport is like the worst case scenario for contracting the illness. Dudes breathing all over each other, drooling, spitting…

Right now, the best case scenario for a vaccine sounds like early next year, so there’s nothing to prevent the sickness…

Here’s how you COULD do it: quarantine ALL players and coaches for two weeks prior to training camp and test them before they’re allowed to enter facilities. If they test positive, they’re done until the disease is clear. All players, coaches, and staff then remain quarantined away from everyone for the duration of the season. So, does anybody think the players and coaches would go for this? No, didn’t think so. Anything short of this extreme protocol is likely to end up transmitting the disease.

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

As I stated earlier, the best plan would be quarantine all PLAYERS together NOW!! (with Covid + teammates).
      They are already away from families for Training Camp.

Players get mildly sick, build up antibodies, and don’t have to worry about it the rest of the season!

Coaching staff not allowed to interact with players until mid-August (ZOOM meetings/sessions until then).

Ask the NBA how their plan of doing “the bubble” so no one gets Covid is going? :-)
      (hint: it’s already a miserable failure)

• Bootz04

Blocked

Please tell me this is a joke. This would be impossible to navigate and would violate all kinds of laws if you knowingly expose people to a deadly virus with no cure or vaccine. Plus there are players who are immunocompromised. Patrick Peterson has diabetes. James Connor and Trent Williams are cancer survivors. Maurice Hurst is playing with a heart condition. Plus there are likely many others. Way too much risk in exposing thousands of players to this and expecting 100% recovery. Anything less than that all but cripples the league.

As I stated earlier, the best plan would be quarantine all PLAYERS together NOW!! (with Covid + teammates).
      They are already away from families for Training Camp.

Players get mildly sick, build up antibodies, and don’t have to worry about it the rest of the season!

Coaching staff not allowed to interact with players until mid-August (ZOOM meetings/sessions until then).

Ask the NBA how their plan of doing “the bubble” so no one gets Covid is going? :-)
      (hint: it’s already a miserable failure)

Viewing 74 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.