Viewing 20 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

2014 NFL Draft: Fact or Fiction On Top RumorsBy Erik Lambert - Apr 25th, 2014 at 11:48 pm fact_zps8cca9a7b.jpgDec 5, 2013; Cincinnati, OH Louisville Cardinals quarterback Teddy Bridgewater (5) walks off the field after defeating the Cincinnati Bearcats 31-24 at Nippert Stadium. Andrew Weber-USA TODAY SportsRumors are running rampant as the 2014 NFL draft gets closer.  Time to sort out which ones are probably fact and which are fiction. Atlanta Falcons to trade up for Jadeveon Clowney By far the rumor that has gotten the most attention of late is the idea that the Atlanta Falcons are in discussion with the Houston Texans for a possible deal for the #1 pick.  If that were to happen it would be plainly obvious who the Falcons are after.  Their defense sorely needs a pass rusher and Jadeveon Clowney from a talent standpoint is the best in the 2014 NFL draft and perhaps the best in the past ten years.  He would thrive in that Georgia Dome stadium on that fast turf provided coordinator Mike Nolan can coach him up following a shaky 2013 campaign. Rumor Validity:  Fact Detroit Lions will use Ndamkong Suh as trade bait When trading up in a draft every team would like to give up as few future picks as possible.  Often a way to accomplish that is by including a player in the package.  The Detroit Lions are one such team that might have that in mind, which explains the idea that they could deal Pro Bowl defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh in order to jump up to take either Clowney or wide receiver Sammy Watkins.  The question is are the Lions prepared to part with a 27-year old dominant player in his prime, regardless of his personality issues and is there a team who can handle his hefty $22 million salary cap hit?  The options are certainly limited. Rumor Validity:  Fiction Teddy Bridgewater will drop to the second round It’s amazing what a difference a year makes.  Following his terrific upset of might Florida in the Sugar Bowl, Teddy Bridgewater looked like the next big thing at quarterback.  Nothing change after a very solid junior season at Louisville.  Unfortunately production doesn’t win the race anymore in draft eyes.  Since the end of the college season Bridgewater has endured one of the shakiest pre-draft schedules in recent memory.  Not only did he choose to skip the scouting combine, but his pro day workout proved to be a bomb as several passes were off the mark.  This has led some to believe he might not even go in the first round.  Hints from private workouts haven’t change anything and nothing about Bridgewater as a personality has shown he can change minds. Rumor Validity:  Fact Tampa Bay Buccaneers will draft Johnny Manziel Lovie Smith came in and made wholesale changes to the structure of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers roster.  The most important was making 34-year old former backup quarterback Josh McCown his starter.  That hasn’t stopped the Bucs from hinting they fully plan to take a quarterback in the 2014 NFL draft and recent rumors have said if Texas A&M standout Johnny Manziel falls to them at #7 they will take him.  Manziel is indeed an attractive target.  He would be a great draw for ticket sale in a notoriously hard stadium to fill and has a playmaking skill that is rare despite his size.  Still, the Bucs have more pressing needs in other areas and wouldn’t have signed McCown and kept second-year man Mike Glennon if they planned to take a rookie early. Rumor Validity:  Fiction Derek Carr could be second quarterback gone Another quarterback-centered idea is that Fresno State star Derek Carr, who led the entire NCAA in passing in 2013 might not just go in the first round but be the second quarterback off the board, meaning he would have to leapfrog either Manziel or UCF standout Blake Bortles.  Initially Carr was looked down upon for not playing in a pro-style offense, facing rather soft competition and have a thinner-than-preferred frame.  Yet his elite arm strength, good decision-making and mobility have kept him afloat and several reports have said he knocking private interviews with teams out of the park.  As the saying goes it only takes one of those teams to pull the trigger. Rumor Validity:  Facthttp://nflmocks.com/2014/04/25/2014-nfl-draft-fact-fiction-top-rumors/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I will go:FictionFactFictionFictionFiction

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Who says were keeping Glennon? It would make no sense to trade him without the QB on the roster they view as the future. Glennon will be dealt once they find that guy, until then he is a great backup to have around.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I pick a new favorite QB every week it seems. I think I’m jumping back off the manziel train, too sandlot. Starting to like what bridgewater and mettenberger bring. Stand against pressure and deliver the ball downfield. Run pro-style offenses. Now they both seem to have mental issues, so I’m not banging the drum for either.  But if its ‘fact’ that bridgewater is slipping to the second? Wow, just don’t let him in the building without a glove. And mettenberger in the 3rd might even be better .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I pick a new favorite QB every week it seems. I think I'm jumping back off the manziel train, too sandlot. Starting to like what bridgewater and mettenberger bring. Stand against pressure and deliver the ball downfield. Run pro-style offenses. Now they both seem to have mental issues, so I'm not banging the drum for either.  But if its 'fact' that bridgewater is slipping to the second? Wow, just don't let him in the building without a glove. And mettenberger in the 3rd might even be better .

Agree on all points. And I would think Lovie is leaning that way. I can't see him drafting JFF. I could see them drafting Bortles, or maybe Garropolo [sp?] later in the draft.  I think they will lean towards more of a traditional QB type. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Fact- I can definitely see Atlanta going for Clowney, it just seems like something they’d do.Fiction- I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit was willing to part with Suh but I don't expect anyone to be in a big hurry to trade for him, especially with his upcoming contract negotiations.Fiction- I don't buy Bridgewater falling that far. He may not still be in play for the top pick but he's still the best QB in the draft and I don't see him making past pick number 8.Fact- I think we'd consider Manziel if he's there, but I don't believe he will be.Fact- Only if the rumors about Oakland loving him are true. If Oakland doesn't take him then I think he falls to Cleveland's second pick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t buy the Bridgewater fall, either. I still think he goes in the top half of the first round.I do think Carr goes early. I have no idea if he's the second QB off the board.I don't believe the Bucs will take Manziel. I think if he's there in the second round and they don't take a QB in the first, they would consider it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't buy the Bridgewater fall, either. I still think he goes in the top half of the first round.I do think Carr goes early. I have no idea if he's the second QB off the board.I don't believe the Bucs will take Manziel. I think if he's there in the second round and they don't take a QB in the first, they would consider it.

Agree. Not @ #7, but the 2nd round perhaps. Even that is doubtful though, I think a trade back for someone who is in love with him is quite possible.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Johnny’s goin’ #topSZN, tho’…0102-drake-instagram-3.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Fact- I can definitely see Atlanta going for Clowney, it just seems like something they'd do.Fiction- I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit was willing to part with Suh but I don't expect anyone to be in a big hurry to trade for him, especially with his upcoming contract negotiations.Fiction- I don't buy Bridgewater falling that far. He may not still be in play for the top pick but he's still the best QB in the draft and I don't see him making past pick number 8.Fact- I think we'd consider Manziel if he's there, but I don't believe he will be.Fact- Only if the rumors about Oakland loving him are true. If Oakland doesn't take him then I think he falls to Cleveland's second pick.

Agree on the Falcons comment.If anyone is in "win now" mode, it has to be them. IDK how old Matt Ryan is now, but he has to be getting up there. And they throw around draft picks like nothing, to get their guy. They better get in the Super Bowl pretty quick, because their future looks dim.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Matt Ryan is 28.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Matt Ryan is 28.

Old dude.  They need to win this year or they should cut him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He’s 28, led them from nothing to play-off bound…and though he lost to GB and NY no one could beat them those years…last year they didn’t do much but the Falcons’ problems do not revolve around him

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Matt Ryan is 28.

Old dude.  They need to win this year or they should cut him.

With all the draft picks they have spent on Julio Jones and other moves, I would say their window may be closing just a bit.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Who says were keeping Glennon? It would make no sense to trade him without the QB on the roster they view as the future. Glennon will be dealt once they find that guy, until then he is a great backup to have around.

Thank you. The author of the article needs to wise up!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I will go:FictionFactFictionFictionFiction

Agreed on all counts.Atlanta will draft a lineman BPA.  I am guessing Oline

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's 28, led them from nothing to play-off bound...and though he lost to GB and NY no one could beat them those years...last year they didn't do much but the Falcons' problems do not revolve around him

True, but its hard to give him protection, and improve their D-line when they have mortgaged so many draft picks on Julio and others.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Atlanta has a decent chance at trading up to take Clowney, but my guess if they do trade up it will be with the Rams at #2 and not Texas. They have needs on both sides of the line but Clowney is a real difference maker and they might feel that they can secure a tackle later in what appears to be a deep draft of offensive linemen.It does seem like an Atlanta thing to do. However, I *hope* it's fiction, the only way I want Clowney in the South is if he's playing for us. I do not want to see that dude on Atlanta.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Fact JFF will be a buc or Licht chousld fire hismelf

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Atlanta has a decent chance at trading up to take Clowney, but my guess if they do trade up it will be with the Rams at #2 and not Texas. They have needs on both sides of the line but Clowney is a real difference maker and they might feel that they can secure a tackle later in what appears to be a deep draft of offensive linemen.It does seem like an Atlanta thing to do. However, I *hope* it's fiction, the only way I want Clowney in the South is if he's playing for us. I do not want to see that dude on Atlanta.

They need Oline help so bad that I can't imagine they would use their picks to get Clowney.  They do have a history of doing this though with Vick and Julio so who knows.  Dimitroff and Smith have exactly 16 games left IMO.  This year the Falcons will finish around .500 and they will be gone.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So you don't think the Texans take Clowney at #1 ?  I dont see them passing on him, or they may trade with someone who also wants Clowney.  Clowney being there at #2 is a long shot IMO.

Please wait…

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.