This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Anonymous May. 19, 2019 at 1:32 pm.
May. 17, 2019 at 8:09 pm #1186878
There’s a chance, however small, that the Bucs will go from worst to first. A team or two does it every season. The Bears and Colts did it in 2018. The Eagles and Jaguars did it in 2017. The Cowboys did it in 2016. If the Bucs are to reach the postseason for the first time since 2008, much will have to fall into place. Here’s a look at what could go right and what could go wrong.+1-1Rating: 0. From 2 votes.Please wait...May. 17, 2019 at 11:30 pm #1186893
Hey what a creative post.. Something conversational and interesting during the off season….. Oh wait… Just another copy and pasting of other peoples work by you. Whomp whomp+3-8Rating: -5. From 11 votes.Please wait...May. 18, 2019 at 12:15 am #1186894
Hey what a creative post.. Something conversational and interesting during the off season….. Oh wait… Just another copy and pasting of other peoples work by you. Whomp whomp
Ever heard of a Hyperlink?
Welcome to the Internet fool.+1-2Rating: -1. From 3 votes.Please wait...May. 18, 2019 at 1:54 am #1186898
A top 16 defense+30Rating: +3. From 3 votes.Please wait...May. 18, 2019 at 6:55 am #1186903
JMO, but I believe this article does correctly hit upon 5 of the top areas that the Bucs must achieve and avoid to be a better team this year.
1. Bruce Arians and staff. Coaching matters. The talent gulf in the NFL isn’t as wide as it seems. All teams have strengths and weaknesses and it’s up to the coaching staff to maximize the strengths while either hiding or coaching up the weak areas. Coaching hasn’t been good enough. We’ll see if it’s better this year. IMO this will be the biggest area that will impact wins and losses.
2. Better injury luck. We’ve had a ton of significant injuries over the last few years and last year it was the worse it’s ever been. We need a year where our starters play instead of our depth players.
3. Defense has to improve. This is critical. We have to stop playing from behind game after game and putting the offense in bad field position. We need better defensive play along with everything that goes with it.
4. Special teams have to be special. The weakest link with the Bucs has been special team play year after year. If it’s not the defense letting us down it’s bad play from the special teams by allowing the opposition teams better field position or our kicking letting us down. This has to improve.
5. The Bucs need to become ‘killers’ in terms of mentality. They need to go into each game not with the goal to just beat the other team, but to kill and bury them. The goal needs to be to dominate every aspect of the game. You don’t necessarily have to outskill the other team, you do need to out ‘will’ them and never allow them to feel good about their play.
These are MY 5 goals to a winning season and getting into the playoffs.+2-1Rating: +1. From 3 votes.Please wait...May. 18, 2019 at 7:28 am #1186908
Decent article but let’s get real, it comes down to Winston. If he plays like a 20 million dollar man, then we can make the playoffs. If he continues to struggle when it matter most, we will be a top 10 pick again.+10-1Rating: +9. From 11 votes.Please wait...May. 18, 2019 at 7:48 am #1186911
Pretty spot on article. Thank you for posting.
@schianoismyhero is probably right though. If Winston ups his game significantly AND they can just squeeze a few more stops and turnovers from the defense they’ll make the playoffs.00No votes yet.Please wait...May. 18, 2019 at 10:40 am #1186931
Better injury luck?
Jpp, the bucs only double digit sack guy (in the last decade iirc) likely out for the year before OTAs.
Not off to a good start.+10Rating: +1. From 1 vote.Please wait...May. 18, 2019 at 5:02 pm #1186943
I really don’t think it comes down to Winston it’s gonna come down to the defense.
Lets put some things in perspective we gave up 29ppg last year that’s 4tds. If Winston scores three tds a game that would be elite with 48 tds on the season he would still not be able to carry the team. Unless the running back scores 16 tds or a kicker hit 48fgs with every extra point. Now just imagine if he does something more realistic like score 2 tds a game, we would need 1td a game from the rb and 3fgs
With the law of diminishing returns in mind it will be easier to get a middle of the pack defense instead of an historically elite offense.
Our entire problem is the defense because Winston plays well enough for us to win+1-2Rating: -1. From 3 votes.Please wait...May. 18, 2019 at 6:16 pm #1186948
Number 1 is limit turnovers. The best D in the world can’t stop a pick 6. Defense number 2, and that includes 4th down… Otherwise, nitey nailed it!+10Rating: +1. From 1 vote.Please wait...May. 18, 2019 at 7:19 pm #1186953
Our entire problem is the defense because Winston plays well enough for us to win
You can’t try to lead an entire league in turnovers on a yearly basis and consider that playing well enough to win, unless you chose to ignore how well actual winning qbs play, and there is a noticeable difference.+2-1Rating: +1. From 3 votes.Please wait...May. 18, 2019 at 7:49 pm #1186957
Number 1 is limit turnovers. The best D in the world can’t stop a pick 6. Defense number 2, and that includes 4th down… Otherwise, nitey nailed it!
This. I’d tweak #2 and say its generate more turnovers. If the Bucs can have a positive turnover margin that’d be a huge change.+10Rating: +1. From 1 vote.Please wait...May. 18, 2019 at 10:49 pm #1186973
1) Vita Vea. He has to stay healthy and play to his potential. If he gets injured we’re totally screwed. He’s the most important player on the team.
2) Winston. Yes it comes down to Winston. But he just has to be serviceable and consistent, not incredible. If we think Winston is going to overcome the odds and win games by performing amazing feats of seat of his pants wizadry to bail us out of a terrible performance by the defense… well good luck with that. He has to stay within himself and keep the clock moving and take advantage of red zone opportunities.
3) Running/short passing game. Thats really all in one because a short pass can be just the same as a run. It has to be more creative. The other team must have had a microphone in our huddle, because they knew exactly when and where the running back was going. Sure the offensive line was less than stellar, but they can’t block a defense who seems to know where the ball is going. Thats on the playcalling, and while Dirk and Monken seemed to know how to get the passing game moving, the running game was just an afterthought.
4) Coaching: That’s finding role players, getting them to work as a cohesive unit. They need them to stay focused and not get rattled when the other team scores a couple times. Sure its easy to say we don’t have the players on defense, but the good coaches like Bellichick find a player to fit the role and don’t ask them to do more than that. Everybody does just what they are supposed to. You don’t need everybody to be a superstar. Just do your job well. That’s what I’m hoping they are doing with these one year “prove it” guys. Maybe we didn’t go out and get the high priced free agents, but can these coaches get the guys we did get to do exactly what they need them to do?
5) Kicking. Competence. I know they say good is the enemy of great. But never mind that. We’ll take good. I promise we won’t won’t complain if your just average to good. Just consistently make the 40-45 yarders. Come on. Your a NFL kicker. Get yourself some Xanax or Buddhism or whatever you need.+10Rating: +1. From 1 vote.Please wait...May. 19, 2019 at 1:32 pm #1187034
Good post @Roy but I still disagree. Our defense is going to be better but still only in th 15-20 range on points and yardage… maybe we can regress (or progress) to the means on turnovers and that will certainly mask our talent.
…but Winston just gotta step up, and step up when it matters. Early. Often… I don’t need comeback wins, I need him to step on the throat early… get a lead and let the defense pin their ears back. I’m talking first drive TDs. I’m talking double digit halftime leads. I’m talking defense on their heals, and Barber putting his head down.
That’s what we need. The comebacks are fun but not what we need. We need swag…00No votes yet.Please wait...
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.