Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 20 reply threads

• Author

• bucray1

Participant

:o for those that want us to draft marcus mariotta or jameis Winston you may want to pull back the reigns.in the history of the nfl only 2 Heisman winning qb’s have gone on to play/win a superbowl. of those 2 , only one played for the team that drafted him. the answer is roger staubach , dallas cowboys and jim plunkett, Oakland raiders ( plunkett was drafted by new England ,however ). of the past 16 Heisman winning qb’s dating back to 1987 , there has been only ONE playoff win. that’s right , it was tim tebow. so, if you are hoping to catch lightning in a bottle , good luck.

• Anonymous

Inactive

:o for those that want us to draft marcus mariotta or jameis Winston you may want to pull back the reigns.in the history of the nfl only 2 Heisman winning qb's have gone on to play/win a superbowl. of those 2 , only one played for the team that drafted him. the answer is roger staubach , dallas cowboys and jim plunkett, Oakland raiders ( plunkett was drafted by new England ,however ). of the past 16 Heisman winning qb's dating back to 1987 , there has been only ONE playoff win. that's right , it was tim tebow. so, if you are hoping to catch lightning in a bottle , good luck.

I want us to stop taking wild swings at low round qb's and fa's that no one wants.We'd have just as much chance of busting on any one other player of any position.You stay with your scraps, I'd rather see a entertaining football game for once, win or lose.

• Anonymous

Inactive

once again benchwarmer , you ignored the facts and missed the point. history tells us that if we do ,in fact , draft one of those 2 qb’s  , scraps is all we will get.

• Anonymous

Inactive

He reminds me of Vinny Testaverde…

• Anonymous

Inactive

once again benchwarmer , you ignored the facts and missed the point. history tells us that if we do ,in fact , draft one of those 2 qb's  , scraps is all we will get.

History is history, people are people. I think you're the one confusing history with individual talent.Going by your logic, no NFL team should ever draft a qb, because "it would be a waste."Just say you are scared..its OK.

• Anonymous

Inactive

to be honest , I like both those qb’s. but, facts are facts , and yeah , I guess I am a little hesitant. but after rooting for this team for nearly 40 years and seeing mistake after mistake being made at the qb position , I now believe this team is cursed. lol.

• Anonymous

Inactive

A few notable Heisman Runner-Ups...2011 - Andrew Luck2010 - Andrew Luck (Cam Newton won it.)1997 - Peyton Manning1983 - Steve Young1982 - John ElwayIf any of those players had received enough votes to be the Heisman winner and the Bucs were on the board, are you saying they shouldn't have drafted them?They will scout the player and not the award.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Let me be very clear – linking Heismans with QBing success in the NFL is a MEANINGLESS statistic.It's spurious.  Unless someone can come up with a logical causal explanation for why winning the Hesiman results in poor QB play in the NFL, this is a poor use of statistics.  Not trying to be harsh, just want to be really clear.The more likely explanation is that (a) most quarterbacks do not win the Heisman and (b) a small % of all QBs have success in the NFL and (c) the criteria for winning a Hesiman is poorly related to the criteria for being a successful NFL QB.So if say 2 Heisman QBs have beens successful out of a pool of 16, that means 12.5% of Heisman QBs have been successful.  That's probably a pretty high success %. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

To ufojoe, You're dealing in hypothetical to my fact based stat.but, to answer your question, yes in I would have drafted any one those qb. Fyi, steve young was drafted by us and busted because of a lack of talent around him.kinda like now, huh? A house is only as good as the foundation it's built on.

• Anonymous

Inactive

:o for those that want us to draft marcus mariotta or jameis Winston you may want to pull back the reigns.in the history of the nfl only 2 Heisman winning qb's have gone on to play/win a superbowl. of those 2 , only one played for the team that drafted him. the answer is roger staubach , dallas cowboys and jim plunkett, Oakland raiders ( plunkett was drafted by new England ,however ). of the past 16 Heisman winning qb's dating back to 1987 , there has been only ONE playoff win. that's right , it was tim tebow. so, if you are hoping to catch lightning in a bottle , good luck.

so does this nonsense mean we shouldn't draft one of them?

• Anonymous

Inactive

To hate.See David Carr.nuff said.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Resorting to the Heisman curse as a valid argument?  Please!  I guess there is also a double whammy against Mariota then since he was on the cover of SI recently. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's spurious.  Unless someone can come up with a logical causal explanation for why winning the Hesiman results in poor QB play in the NFL, this is a poor use of statistics.

Now that is pretty damn easy. A QB winning the Hesiman usually means the player has been on a very good team, and if they have made any mistakes the team usually can bail them out. NFL teams that then draft said Hesiman QB are usually pretty god damn awful and can't bail them out when they make mistakes. The fan base then calls them a bust, the team gives up on them and said QB is then traded or waived to be picked up by another team that is filled with better talent that can bail the QB out if he makes a mistake. Said QB is then seen be good on a new team.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Let me be very clear - linking Heismans with QBing success in the NFL is a MEANINGLESS statistic.It's spurious.  Unless someone can come up with a logical causal explanation for why winning the Hesiman results in poor QB play in the NFL, this is a poor use of statistics.  Not trying to be harsh, just want to be really clear.The more likely explanation is that (a) most quarterbacks do not win the Heisman and (b) a small % of all QBs have success in the NFL and (c) the criteria for winning a Hesiman is poorly related to the criteria for being a successful NFL QB.So if say 2 Heisman QBs have beens successful out of a pool of 16, that means 12.5% of Heisman QBs have been successful.  That's probably a pretty high success %.

tog, I would also factor in the fact that those QB's go to really crappy teams, thus hindering their progress.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Let me be very clear - linking Heismans with QBing success in the NFL is a MEANINGLESS statistic.It's spurious.  Unless someone can come up with a logical causal explanation for why winning the Hesiman results in poor QB play in the NFL, this is a poor use of statistics.  Not trying to be harsh, just want to be really clear.The more likely explanation is that (a) most quarterbacks do not win the Heisman and (b) a small % of all QBs have success in the NFL and (c) the criteria for winning a Hesiman is poorly related to the criteria for being a successful NFL QB.So if say 2 Heisman QBs have beens successful out of a pool of 16, that means 12.5% of Heisman QBs have been successful.  That's probably a pretty high success %.

tog, I would also factor in the fact that those QB's go to really crappy teams, thus hindering their progress.

Completely true.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Speaking of food… Did you see how big his dad is?  That Heisman banquet tour probably has crablegs, too.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Off the top of my head I can discount 2 Heisman winners in Eric Crouch and Charlie Ward who never even attempted to play QB in the NFL. Just shows that the criteria for winning a Heisman has little to do with being an NFL quarterback.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lemme get this straight.......because David Carr sucked, we shouldn't take a QB this year. That makes perfect sense.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Resorting to the Heisman curse as a valid argument?  Please!  I guess there is also a double whammy against Mariota then since he was on the cover of SI recently.

Meh, maybe they'll cancel each other out!I'll be sick to my stomach if we snag some lame ass qb in free agency or trot out one of these bums we have now. Time to welcome ourselves to the 2000s. Get a decent OC and draft an early qb.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lemme get this straight.......because David Carr sucked, we shouldn't take a QB this year. That makes perfect sense.

Great logic, right?

• Anonymous

Inactive

This will be the only time in history 2 Heisman winning QBs are declaring in the same year. Statistically there is a franchise QB in every draft. I'll take my chances on one of these 2.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.