Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 5 reply threads

• Author

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

Donk:

I have 2 doctors and a few friends, that either have no time for the market or just have
      no interest. For them, I put them in a S&P Index fund. The S&P is 500 large companies
      that trade on the NYSE or the NASDAQ. If you feel America is successful and going to get
      better, then your investment in this kind of fund is justifiable. It is a bet on America.

I advise Fidelity’s 500 Index fund (FXAIX). Their charge per year to manage is 0.015%—virtually nothing. You get the dividends which you can elect to be reinvested. Vanguard also has a S&P Index Fund (VFIAX) which is very good. I have had both and just very slightly like the Fidelity better.

The yearly net return for FXAIX are:

2017…..21.81%
      2018…..-4.40
      2019…..31.47
      2020…..18.40
      2021…..23.47 YTD thru 12-2

On a compound basis (dividends reinvested)
      $100 invested 1-1-2017 goes to $223.81 as of 12-2-21.
      this was a great time period and resulted in above average returns.

From 1-1-13 to 12-31-16 (4 years) $100 went to $170.79.

The majority of investors and the majority of mutual funds, over time, do not
      keep up with the S&P 500 index.

Maybe FXAIX will allow for more golf and less heartache over trial and error learning.

Remain intimately at the heart of experience.

• BucsBits

Participant

The majority of investors and the majority of mutual funds, over time, do not
      keep up with the S&P 500 index.

There is no way for an individual investor to consistently outperform professional money management (or even an index for that matter)

Pick some small portion of your portfolio to learn/play with in choosing your own stocks. Put the rest in low cost index funds (broadly diversified) and well run mutual funds, meaning funds with 5-10 years of solid returns

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

That’s just utter nonsense.

What about those people who were secretaries at Microsoft and took Microsoft
      stock in their 401Ks. They retired with millions, and they beat the holy hell out
      of the S&P’s.

What about those who took a flyer on Tesla a few years ago. They also leave the S&P
      gain in the dust.

Though the majority do not beat the S&P’s, some in the non-majority class beat
      the S&P significantly.

This post was created in the hopes of making life easier for Donk.

But you couldn’t resist. You had to get you 2 cents in.

You give pronouncements on things you know nothing about.

You know nothing about the markets and yet you try to act like you know.

You don’t own a car, and yet you like to act like you are a car authority.

If their was a vote on who is the most disliked on this board,
      you would be the winner.

You have spent 5 years being a jerk. Pirating a thread. Picking a small insignificant
      point to argue about, while missing the main point of the thread. Deflecting. Entering into thing you know little about. And all the time being completely obnoxious

It is no mystery why you’ve earned the title of the most “disliked person on this board”.

You have systematically, over 5 years, gone about earning the title.

Remain intimately at the heart of experience.

• BucsBits

Participant

Maybe it’s that you can’t read? You’re saying the same thing

Though the majority do not beat the S&P’s, some in the non-majority class beat
      the S&P significantly.

Your example is the person who WORKED AT MICROSOFT

my comment was about investors

The person “who took a flyer on Tesla” also “took a flyer” on 10 other stocks, some working some not

Island Buc, given your ports I know you’re going to hate this so I will apologize in advance:

Not only is my advice to Donk (offered in good faith and having nothing to do with you) the CORRECT advice backed up by statistics …. But I also am more qualified in the topic :-)

Sorry but it’s true.

There’s no way for most individual investors to CONSISTENTLY beat professional or the market. If there was no one would pay the professionals the millions they receive. As I mentioned before, the information gap is way too big and the outcome of that gap is amplified where the strategy of day trading is short timeframe positions.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Maybe FXAIX will allow for more golf

Love it! Lol.

Seriously appreciate you taking the time to post this breakdown.

• BucsBits

Participant

Just for the laughter

I advise Fidelity’s 500 Index fund (FXAIX)

Put the rest in low cost index funds

That’s just utter nonsense.

LMAO

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.