Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 9 reply threads

• Author

• Justin2626

Participant

Hey Everyone, I haven’t posted in a long time but wanted to start a conversation around where we are after the announcements and what it looks like we will be doing in FA and the Draft.

DE – We’re not seeing much movement here in FA, on what is a very shallow talent pool. The only FAs worth calling a “starter”; DLaw, Ansah and Murphy have all been heavily linked to teams not named the Bucs. I think this puts the writing on the wall that TB relies on the draft to fill, or attempt to, this gap. Depending on how the talent falls, I could see us taking Chubb, Key, or Davenport. If we let it go past day one, possibly Hubbard. I would not be surprised if we made a play at Adrian Clayborn, if he doesn’t get offered tons of money. He would only be considered a rotational rusher imo, he wasn’t that great last year save for his performance against a Tron-less Dallas.

IOL – Whether it be OG or C. The writing is on the wall that the Bucs are trying to make an impact signing here. Personally, I’d love to see Jensen signed and Marpet moved back to OG where he excelled far more than at C (was still a solid C). We could get Sitton, depending on how money flows around the two. I don’t think it very likely, if at all, that we get both Jensen and Sitton. Let’s operate under the assumption that we get one of them. That will enable us to put Interior OL into the 2nd or 3rd day of the draft. While I do think Nelson is a beast, if we sign Sitton or Jensen, IDK if our need warrants taking him at 7 – as opposed to our other positions of need. Let’s say we don’t sign any true-starter IOL during FA…..then I think that means we will be going for OL in the 1st or 2nd.

RB – We need an RB and it looks like the Bucs are pursuing that. With JMack getting grossly overpaid – I worry about our chances to land anyone worth a damn through FA. Look for the Bucs to add a rotational RB, likely one to compete with Sims, in the mix through FA – not a feature back. Additionally, I expect we will try to snag an RB by round 3 and maybe one to develop/camp body later on.

CB – With us resigning Grimes for the low (i mean come on…dude’s getting 7mil base and 10mil max….what a steal). I believe it affords us an opportunity to wait until day 2 to draft a CB. However, that being said, I do think Derwin James is a prospect being heavily considered by TB. And if Minkah were to fall (highly doubtful), I’d be shocked if we skipped on him. Regardless, I see TB taking a CB in the first two rounds – this is a deep DB class and we can find starting quality in the 2nd round.

Conclusion: In my opinion, the most likely scenario for our Bucs is to go DE in round 1 and RB or CB in round 2, with the remaining coming in 3. Unless, of course we whiff in FA on the OL front…then I think you put OL in the mix for first or second round and push back RB or CB depending on how the chips fall.

Of course, all of this is hypothetical rambling, but i’d love to hear your thoughts on this. Also, is there anyone at any of these position groups that you think could be a steal in the 4th or 5th rounds of the draft, possibly leading to us waiting until then to address it?!

Thanks for reading, let’s go Bucs!

Please wait…

• Defense5599

Blocked

Looks like the Dolphins are preparing to move on from Mike Pouncey as they are shedding salary. He grew up in Lakeland and went to UF. I think if the Bucs offered him decent money, he’d jump at the chance to stay close to home. That lands this team a Pro Bowl C and Marpet can go back to right guard.

Please wait…

• Justin2626

Participant

Wow, I like that thought D, I had not heard the ‘Phins were planning to let him leave. I’m all down for pouncing on him (pun intended)!

Please wait…

• BucNCane

Participant

I think it looks like we’ll go S in round 1 DE rd 2 rb rd 3

Please wait…

• Justin2626

Participant

Yeah Cane, I could see that playing out too. I should have not been so specific by saying CB instead just making it DB…because I do think it very plausible we snag a S in the 1st (Derwin or Minkah come to mind if they are there)

Please wait…

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

@BucNCane

Mar 14, 18 at 12:19 pm #1067946
      I think it looks like we’ll go S in round 1 DE rd 2 rb rd 3

I can see that happening. James in the 1st, Ejiofor in the 2nd, and a back in the 3rd.

Please wait…

• Justin2626

Participant

I’d be happy with that! Assuming we get Jensen or Sitton in FA of course :)

Please wait…

• Cerious

Participant

Look, the FA DE market was going to be slim before the top available guys were locked up. The draft is awash if DEs that aren’t going to be impact players right away outside of one player.

So what should we do?

I would load up on the OL and get our running game in order. I would also try to create as much of a push up the middle to pressure QBs, Make sure our LBs can fill gaps and stop runs and add an athletic CB and S to create a McDill AFB no fly zone over Tampa.

Our FA plan should be to add Jensen and Sitton. Beau Allen is nice but Poe or Suh would be incredibly better additions. Lois like we aren’t going to get a great FA RB, so save that for the draft. Add E.J. Gaines to compliment Grimes on the outside.

These move put us in a position to be more flexible or happy with our draft position. Chubb is not going to get to 7, but Nelson and/or Barkley might and Derwin James should too. The Bills looking to get into the top 5 kills our ability to get two first round picks, but we might still be able to move out of 7 seven, get a mid first round pick and a another pick this year plus a first next year. Take that trade. Draft Vita Vea if we don’t get Suh or Poe. Draft Guice or Song Michel if we do. If fall back far enough take Davenport.

We still have a lot of options and this first day of FA or preFA yesterday should not dash our hope for the season.

Please wait…

• Justin2626

Participant

I don’t think we go after Suh, he just doesn’t make sense to me here. Yeah he’s a stud, but he would be asking for more than GMac, and who would we make play NT as opposed to 3tech? It’s just not a amicable situation for Suh, I could see Poe….and wouldn’t mind it, though he may be looking for more money than we’re willing to spend their.

Also, IDK if we have the funds to get sitton and jensen….they will both be asking for 10million range per year….with our realistic cap space closing in on being sub-20million….I don’t see it happening.

I would like it if we got EJ Gaines for sure, but something tells me we wont be paying him what other teams will….so i am doubtful.

In my opinion, barkley has no chance of making it past the giants. Their signings to this point make it clear that they will get him imo.

I agree with you in remaining hopeful, and many of your scenarios for the draft! Good stuff man.

Please wait…

• Cerious

Participant

At this point Suh is on his third team, he’s not going to get a cap value that is larger than McCoy’s. He’s a Merc now and a two year deal would get him signed and still be cap friendly for us.

E.J. Gaines is more than doable, he would most likely be our highest paid FA acquisition if we don’t sign Suh. Truthfully we have enough money to sign them both. We also have enough money to sign Jensen and Sitton. We can’t sign them all though. Some combination of two or three of them should be considered a successful FA signing campaign.

Please wait…

• Justin2626

Participant

Cerious, we don’t really have as much money left as you are projecting. We’re looking at a 40mil cap space figure right now and that’s not including the draft reserve and contracts for Kwon and Marpet, maybe D. Smith and a few other depth guys. When all is said and done we’re looking at an estimated sub-20million in cap space. Would be cutting it close if we got two of them and isn’t enough to get three.

Please wait…

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.