Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 10 reply threads

• Author

• CalicoJack55

Participant

AL.com sports @aldotcomSportsFormer #Alabama player, assistant and head-coaching candidate Richard Williamson dies of heart attack in Charlotte http://ow.ly/SzGon 1 retweet 1 favorite

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

AL.com sports @aldotcomSportsFormer #Alabama player, assistant and head-coaching candidate Richard Williamson dies of heart attack in Charlotte http://ow.ly/SzGon 1 retweet 1 favorite

Poor guy never had a chance here. May he RIP.  :(

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

RIP …took over for Perkins and had 1 year as the official Head Coach before Wyche I believe.  Was a pretty good WR coach if I recall correctly.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sad news.  Godspeed Mr, Williams.  He always seemed like a nice guy, although I never met him personally.  I know the players lobbied hard for him to be the interim head coach, and then the permanent head coach when Perkins was fired.  I know Testaverde, and Carrier specifically went to ownership and pushed hard for him to take the full time role in 91.  That 1990 season was a weird one.  It started off so promising until Dallas beat us for a second time on one season- that in itself was weird.  I believe we were lIke 4-2 or 5-3, when we played Dallas for the second time and lost again.  After that the season just spiraled down the drain.  I remember how cocky and upbeat fans were- the stadium started chanting " we want Dallas" at the end of the Packers game the week before we played Dallas the second time.  It really felt like we might be turning a corner.  Then reality hit and we started getting blown out week after week.  Years later I remember reading an interview with Aikman, who pointed to winning that game in Tampa as the beginning of the Dallas dynasty, when the players truly bought into Jimmy Johnson and what they were doing.  Two franchises intersecting while going in two totally different directions....Ugh.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sad news.  Godspeed Mr, Williams.  He always seemed like a nice guy, although I never met him personally.  I know the players lobbied hard for him to be the interim head coach, and then the permanent head coach when Perkins was fired.  I know Testaverde, and Carrier specifically went to ownership and pushed hard for him to take the full time role in 91.  That 1990 season was a weird one.  It started off so promising until Dallas beat us for a second time on one season- that in itself was weird.  I believe we were lIke 4-2 or 5-3, when we played Dallas for the second time and lost again.  After that the season just spiraled down the drain.  I remember how cocky and upbeat fans were- the stadium started chanting " we want Dallas" at the end of the Packers game the week before we played Dallas the second time.  It really felt like we might be turning a corner.  Then reality hit and we started getting blown out week after week.  Years later I remember reading an interview with Aikman, who pointed to winning that game in Tampa as the beginning of the Dallas dynasty, when the players truly bought into Jimmy Johnson and what they were doing.  Two franchises intersecting while going in two totally different directions....Ugh.

We played Dallas 2 times in 1991? That is odd. Nice to know we jump started the Dallas dynasty I had to grow up watching and loathing. Prayers to Coach Williamson and his family.  :(

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We played Dallas 2 times in 1991? That is odd. Nice to know we jump started the Dallas dynasty I had to grow up watching and loathing. Prayers to Coach Williamson and his family.  :(

Sorry, I probably wasn't very clear there.  We played them twice in 1990- with I think three games to go, we fired Perkins and named Williamson as the interim head coach.  Williams was then named the new HC for 91.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sorry, I probably wasn't very clear there.  We played them twice in 1990- with I think three games to go, we fired Perkins and named Williamson as the interim head coach.  Williams was then named the new HC for 91.

It's not you, just my tired eyes from reading all day. LOL So why did we play Dallas 2 times in 1990? Were schedules different back then?

Please wait…

• iostat1855

Participant

Steve Smith and Muhsin Muhammad owe their careers to him. Thoughts and prayers to his family

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So why did we play Dallas 2 times in 1990? Were schedules different back then?Yes the scheduling was different.  The Bucs and Cowboys were both 5th placed division teams in 1989 so played a different schedule to the other teams.  Instead of playing four inter-conference games, they played two other 5th place finishers in the AFC (Jets and Chargers) and then home/away against another 5th placed team in the NFC (Dallas).The Bucs were 4-2 after beating Green Bay but then dropped an egg at home to the Cowboys losing 13-17 on Michael Irvin's touchdown in the final minute.  They then lost five in a row before beating the Falcons.  Ray Perkins was then fired during the bye week and Richard Williamson promoted as interim head coach.  He won his first game against the Vikings but then lost his last two. He then went 3-13 in 1991 with a locker room that was controlled by the likes of Broderick Thomas and Jesse Solomon and his authority was diminished by the week.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sad news.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Steve Smith and Muhsin Muhammad owe their careers to him. Thoughts and prayers to his family

I have heard only the best things about him as a receivers coach.  He was supposed to be tremendous as such.

Please wait…

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.