Viewing 90 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Fran Tarkenton says Jameis Winston 'is not playing at an NFL level at all'7h agoAndrew Astleford    ESPNfrank-tarkenton_zps4ybil9az.jpgTAMPA, Fla. -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston hasn't impressed Hall of Famer Fran Tarkenton."Jameis Winston, who was supposed to be pro-ready, is not playing at an NFL level at all," Tarkenton said in an interview Thursday on 620 WDAE in Tampa. "And he needs to get his act together."Tarkenton, a former quarterback who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1986, shared his criticism after Winston's worst game as a professional. The rookie completed 26 of 43 passes for 287 yards with two touchdowns and four interceptions in a loss to the Carolina Panthers in Week 4. Winston also failed to collect a snap from center Joe Hawley on the game's second offensive play.In all, Winston's mishaps led to 27 points for Carolina as Tampa Bay fell to 1-3.Tarkenton has been critical of Winston before. After Marcus Mariota -- selected one spot after Winston in the draft -- starred in the Tennessee Titans' victory over the Bucs in Week 1, Tarkenton told the Tennesseean that Winston "was a deer in the headlights. He was uncomfortable. He didn't know where to go with the football. He threw his first pass for a pick-six."On Thursday, it seemed clear that Winston has done little to change Tarkenton's opinion of him."He's an NFL quarterback," Tarkenton, who was also critical of Houston's Ryan Mallett, said on 620 WDAE. "People are playing a lot of money to come to the games. People expect, if you can walk on the field, you're an NFL-ready player or you shouldn't be on the field. And Jameis needs to play better than that because if your quarterback doesn't play at a certain level, your team has no chance to win."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Fran Tarkenton says Jameis Winston 'is not playing at an NFL level at all'7h agoAndrew Astleford    ESPNfrank-tarkenton_zps4ybil9az.jpg"He's an NFL quarterback," Tarkenton, who was also critical of Houston's Ryan Mallett, said on 620 WDAE. "People are playing a lot of money to come to the games. People expect, if you can walk on the field, you're an NFL-ready player or you shouldn't be on the field. And Jameis needs to play better than that because if your quarterback doesn't play at a certain level, your team has no chance to win."

There you have it. Now watch how some posters will call him old and crazy instead of saying he is right.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’ve called him an A-hole in the past. He’s called out Freeman (when I liked him) now he’s calling out Winston. But in reality, he’s right. Winston needs to step it up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yep. Jameis has to step it up.And Fran Tarkenton has no idea what it is like playing in today's NFL. People need to recognize that as well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yep. Jameis has to step it up.And Fran Tarkenton has no idea what it is like playing in today's NFL. People need to recognize that as well.

Yep, now a days QB's can't get hit in the head, or the knees, and thier receivers aren't allowed to be touched after 5 yards. Fran has no idea about that kind of stuff....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tarkenton isn’t really saying anything overly critical here, or overly insightful either. Of course he needs to get it together and play better, Captain Obvious. I will say though, that Tarkenton should probably take care to remember that he wasn't exactly Johnny Unitas his first season, or his second actually. He didn't get his NFL legs and start playing at an elite level until about 4 years into his career.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tarkenton is a loser. He threw for 18 TD 17 INT and under 2000 yards in his first 10 games as a rookie.I guess the old coot can't remember back that far. Jameis will be fine. LoL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here is a classic stat line from Tark. Week Two for the Tark - 8/24 117 yards and 0 TD in a 21-7 loss to the Cowboys.  He followed it up in week 4 with another stinker vs. the Cowboys going 10-21 for 151 yards and 0 TD in an ugly 28-0 romp.Well done Tarky. I was trying to look up his stats for the first four weeks but it looks like he was benched twice in that span. Oh well. I guess he is the foremost expert on sucking as a rookie QB. Thank God Jameis is not a putrid as he was. Jameis may be making mistakes, but at least he is making NFL throws, unlike the Tark.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yup. 7 INT in 4 games is an NFL good player.Any other HOF you want to criticize because he doesn't like the anointed one?  But only after you search his records to point out his error when he played. Would have thought you would have liked Tarkenton - he was a gunslinger just like Winston and made the HOF doing it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I remember Tarkenton from his Giants days once he discover WR Homer Jones. They hooked up for some of the most dramatic scrambles and deep catches ever. And they did it over and over. I’m not sure, but he may have been the first true scrambling QB, at least the guy who put “scrambling” into the QB dictionary. And those were some gawd-awful Giants’ teams…    As for Winston, he's obviously playing a lot more like a rookie than a #1 draft pick right now. Some good, some very bad. He and the team around him need to show more skill as DC's get more and more tape on him, or it's gonna be a long season. He doesn't seem to have the physical skills (mainly a quick arm and delivery) to ever take a team on his back. Just recognizing a D isn't good enough; gotta get the ball there QUICK. If the team around him is great, that lengthy windup of his could be masked to where it's not the problem it is now. Raiders did it with a former #1, washed-up, immobile aging QB named Jim Plunkett, who came there to be a b/u, and ended up winning 2 Super Bowls...    Koetter is showing the importance of having a good OC; imagine if he'd been on Schiano's staff...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yup. 7 INT in 4 games is an NFL good player.Any other HOF you want to criticize because he doesn't like the anointed one?  But only after you search his records to point out his error when he played. Would have thought you would have liked Tarkenton - he was a gunslinger just like Winston and made the HOF doing it.

You would think that a guy who struggled mightily as a rookie may have a better understanding of how difficult it really is for a rookie in the NFL. I would expect the Tark to explain this to everyone instead of lambasting the kid. Like I said, the Tark has probably got a bit of brain damage from all those hits and he can't remember his 8/24 117 yard day on his second career start. Turnovers aren't the only way for a QB to lose the football game for his team, Tark. 8/24 117 0 pretty much guarantees it.Either way, Jameis Winston has 100x more talent in his pinky finger than the Tark ever had. Tark sucked. My grandpa used to yell at the TV screen everytime he ran around like a chicken with his head cut off. Probably explains why I hate Mariota's game too.

Please wait…

• suesweat

Participant

Fran Tarkenton says Jameis Winston 'is not playing at an NFL level at all'7h agoAndrew Astleford    ESPNfrank-tarkenton_zps4ybil9az.jpg"He's an NFL quarterback," Tarkenton, who was also critical of Houston's Ryan Mallett, said on 620 WDAE. "People are playing a lot of money to come to the games. People expect, if you can walk on the field, you're an NFL-ready player or you shouldn't be on the field. And Jameis needs to play better than that because if your quarterback doesn't play at a certain level, your team has no chance to win."

There you have it. Now watch how some posters will call him old and crazy instead of saying he is right.

Why would anyone deny his claims? He'd say the same thing about Glennon though so it's a pretty sad shape we're in right now as a team. The only question that needs answering is "Can Jameis improve over the course of the season or does he settle into mediocrity like Glennon did?"

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You would think that a guy who struggled mightily as a rookie may have a better understanding of how difficult it really is for a rookie in the NFL. I would expect the Tark to explain this to everyone instead of lambasting the kid. Like I said, the Tark has probably got a bit of brain damage from all those hits and he can't remember his 8/24 117 yard day on his second career start. Turnovers aren't the only way for a QB to lose the football game for his team, Tark. 8/24 117 0 pretty much guarantees it.Either way, Jameis Winston has 100x more talent in his pinky finger than the Tark ever had. Tark sucked. My grandpa used to yell at the TV screen everytime he ran around like a chicken with his head cut off. Probably explains why I hate Mariota's game too.

LOL; in those days leaving the pocket was practically taboo. He turned it into an art form. Gawd, he was on some horrific Giants teams. Didn’t see him much as a Viking. Sir Francis was never afraid to call'em like he saw'em, regardless of his own play.Amazing the Kitties beat us with Newton's paltry-by-today's standards 124 yards passing...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He doesn't seem to have the physical skills (mainly a quick arm and delivery) to ever take a team on his back. Just recognizing a D isn't good enough; gotta get the ball there QUICK.

What combination of physical and mental is lacking I don't know, but you are right the ball is getting out too slow.  This is only a surprise to those that were so wowed by his tape against the likes of Wake Forest, they couldn't understand why that couldn't translate to the NFL.  Either that or they wanted an FSU Heisman winner as a Buc QB regardless whether the Bucs win or lose.  Sad.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Haha, you are right... All red board members have a better idea of what it's like in the current nfl.... Way more than a hall of famer

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Do he at least watch the game before providing hid analysis this time?  I have no problem with what he said about Winston. He does need to step it up. He is not ready to be a top flight player.  My problem is the doomsday talk about a guy 4 games in.  Did ole Tark pitch his new book this week?  The one about how the most successful people overcome significant early failures to reach the pinnacle of their careers. The one that will tell Bucs fans everything they need to know about how our struggling rookie QB can improve his game? Anyone recall what he said about JW the week he won rookie of the week honors? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“… if you can walk on the field, you’re an NFL-ready player or you shouldn’t be on the field…”how realistic is this statement?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here is a classic stat line from Tark. Week Two for the Tark - 8/24 117 yards and 0 TD in a 21-7 loss to the Cowboys.  He followed it up in week 4 with another stinker vs. the Cowboys going 10-21 for 151 yards and 0 TD in an ugly 28-0 romp.Well done Tarky. I was trying to look up his stats for the first four weeks but it looks like he was benched twice in that span. Oh well. I guess he is the foremost expert on sucking as a rookie QB. Thank God Jameis is not a putrid as he was. Jameis may be making mistakes, but at least he is making NFL throws, unlike the Tark.

It takes one to know one is the old saying. The only problem is we pay to see Winston play like an NFL QB not Tarky.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why would anyone deny his claims? He'd say the same thing about Glennon though so it's a pretty sad shape we're in right now as a team. The only question that needs answering is "Can Jameis improve over the course of the season or does he settle into mediocrity like Glennon did?"

What the hell does Glennon have to do with this thread? You are the classic message board baiter.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tarkenton’s rookie season was really bad.  At least Tarkententon eventually had an amazing career. Cosell on the other hand is a blow hard wannabe.  Maybe he should marry Matt Ryan.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Amazing the Kitties beat us with Newton's paltry-by-today's standards 124 yards passing...

It was easy because our QB was setting the table for them with a short field.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Its sad the Bucs didn’t see this during the draft process. It was so clear watching Jamis at FSU he had many flaws…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Its sad the Bucs didn't see this during the draft process. It was so clear watching Jamis at FSU he had many flaws...

Using a logical fallacy as your argument makes no logical sense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Its sad the Bucs didn't see this during the draft process. It was so clear watching Jamis at FSU he had many flaws...

what the fact that Jamis wears concret shoes and makes awful decisions throwing down the field? It made perfect logical sense to me not to pick him #1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

what the fact that Jamis wears concret shoes and makes awful decisions throwing down the field? It made perfect logical sense to me not to pick him #1

Winston doesn't have concrete shoes.He is neck to neck (slightly ahead with one extra game) with Mariota when it comes to rushing yards.

Please wait…

• suesweat

Participant

What the hell does Glennon have to do with this thread? You are the classic message board baiter.

A bigger question is: What does your reply have to do with this thread? It was a valiant effort from such as good master baiter such as yourself.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Winston doesn't have concrete shoes.He is neck to neck (slightly ahead with one extra game) with Mariota when it comes to rushing yards.

I'm really not trying to compare him to MM...trust me I want him to succeed being a Buc fan, but he HAS to move better and make better decisions as he grows. The bigger concern for this team is the Offensive line. We need to run block WAY better, like ASAP

Please wait…

• suesweat

Participant

It takes one to know one is the old saying. The only problem is we pay to see Winston play like an NFL QB not Tarky.

If you think you pay to see anyone do anything other then entertain you then you're sadly mistaken. Stop spending your families vacation money on the Buc's while you still can. You clearly don't understand what your paying to get anyways!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm really not trying to compare him to MM...trust me I want him to succeed being a Buc fan, but he HAS to move better and make better decisions as he grows. The bigger concern for this team is the Offensive line. We need to run block WAY better, like ASAP

I am not concerned about Winston's movement in the pocket.  I am more concerned about the o-line and Winston speeding up his decision making so he is not telegraphing his throws.People complaining about Winston's INT's on out routes?  This was the same problem Glennon had as a rookie (and still does).  Glennon's Pick six on out route in pre season against the Pats ? The pick against the Cardinals in Glennon's first regular season game?The out route is the hardest throw to make at the NFL level. It requires speed, anticipations, and precision.  I don't expect young QBs like Glennon or Winston to get it right.  It take time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am not concerned about Winston's movement in the pocket.  I am more concerned about the o-line and Winston speeding up his decision making so he is not telegraphing his throws.People complaining about Winston's INT's on out routes?  This was the same problem Glennon had as a rookie (and still does).  Glennon's Pick six on out route in pre season against the Pats ? The pick against the Cardinals in Glennon's first regular season game?The out route is the hardest throw to make at the NFL level. It requires speed, anticipations, and precision.  I don't expect young QBs like Glennon or Winston to get it right.  It take time.

Agree with this...we need some Olinemen that push forward and run block better as well..that would GREATLY improve Winston and his ability to "see" the field better as well

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not a fan of Tark…I actually dislike him a lot…but he was spot on in his assessment of Freebase and he is spot on with his assessment of Winston. The difference is that Winston is only 4 games into his career…he has time to learn…and he needs to start showing that he is learning.If Winston's first pass on Sunday is a pick 6...I may have to leave the stadium...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you think you pay to see anyone do anything other then entertain you then you're sadly mistaken. Stop spending your families vacation money on the Buc's while you still can. You clearly don't understand what your paying to get anyways!

[img width=194 height=200]http://memeshappen.com/media/download.php?meme=I-hope-you-feel-better-now-internet-bully-meme-20146[/img]

Please wait…

• johnd

Participant

Fran is the man!!!!http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2015/09/19/fran-tarkenton-marcus-mariota-s-character/72480522/

Please wait…

• vlagatta

jamarcus-russell-fat.jpgIt's evident to any real fan of the game...........Winston is disappointing.  He's got to clean it up and get on the stick......fast.  If not ........ get used to reading weekly amounts of jamarcus Russell comparisons from the media.....

Please wait…

• mherzog

Participant

Confidence is great for a QB and so is one saying I need more work or I can work harder,but at some point talk is cheap and there are a lot of I am confident and can work harder QB’s out there. Until he shows he can step up and do his job, there will be lots of criticism and it will be painfully true. If Winston and his backers want it to stop, he needs to play better. Didn’t say like an all pro because everybody reminds us of his trump card of being a rookie. Yes he is a rookie . And at times we expect that. But to look totally lost and make the reads and throws he has thus far, he needs improvement quickly.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Didn’t Fran mention after Week 1’s loss and following criticism on the radio of Winston that he didn’t watch the game? Maybe he is just getting his info by reading the red board.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Didn't Fran mention after Week 1's loss and following criticism on the radio of Winston that he didn't watch the game? Maybe he is just getting his info by reading the red board.

Most of the red board doesn't watch the games.  Does it matter haha?There was belly aching about the defensive penalties in the Texans games.But anyone that watched that game show how ticky tacky the refs were calling that game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No interceptions though.Franny musta hit a nerve, got you googling a 70s QB stats b/c he talked bad about your Jabooooooo

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Didn't Fran mention after Week 1's loss and following criticism on the radio of Winston that he didn't watch the game? Maybe he is just getting his info by reading the red board.

Whatever drives traffic, right mark? :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Truth is, you didnt need to watch that game to know Jaemis sucked. Just look at the stats. 48% completion %, 1st pass pick 6,  and a 6.7 QBR says it all.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Truth is, you didnt need to watch that game to know Jaemis sucked. Just look at the stats. 48% completion %, 1st pass pick 6,  and a 6.7 QBR says it all.

agreedhe aint playing the ACC anymore

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's just so laughable! What QB is great in his first start? So stupid to be debating and making judgement on a 21-year old kid through four games lol. I swear my brain is liquifying reading all of this. Jameis sucks. Jameis is great. He's a rookie who is going to suck at times and look good at times. I would think reasonable fans who have ever watched rookie quarterbacks would understand that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's just so laughable! What QB is great in his first start? So stupid to be debating and making judgement on a 21-year old kid through four games lol. I swear my brain is liquifying reading all of this. Jameis sucks. Jameis is great. He's a rookie who is going to suck at times and look good at times. I would think reasonable fans who have ever watched rookie quarterbacks would understand that.

Besides Mariota of course...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Blue font, because we know where your bias is :)

Please wait…

• vlagatta

it's true.  fran subscribes to my "NFL Insiders Only" email service.....  $1200.00 per month, but in most cases it's tax deductible.  They have to pay.....what I offer here........for free  :)

Please wait…

• vlagatta

What QB is great in his first start?

joe-namath-fur-jacket-at-super-bowl-2014-photos.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wish the experts were right and Jameis was pro ready and good from day 1, but he’s not. I’ll give him the time he needs to get better. But it would just be ironic if Lovie screwed up the #1 pick like he does everything else

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wish the experts were right and Jameis was pro ready and good from day 1, but he's not. I'll give him the time he needs to get better. But it would just be ironic if Lovie screwed up the #1 pick like he does everything else

I don't think that's ironic, I think if Winston turns out to be a good qb, that would be ironic, based on the stupidity of everything else Lovie has done.Screwing up the #1 pick would be par for the course for Lovie.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Haha, you are right... All red board members have a better idea of what it's like in the current nfl.... Way more than a hall of famer

So, you believe that the complexity of today's NFL defenses and the size, strength and speed of the defenders is on par with those of the 60s-70s? You think the pressure for a QB taken first overall is the same as it was in Tark's day?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's the same butt hurt crowd that was pissed we got Jameis to begin with. Nothing new. Happens on every bulletin board on the Internet. Why let logic interfere with an opinion based on bias and ignorance?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So, you believe that the complexity of today's NFL defenses and the size, strength and speed of the defenders is on par with those of the 60s-70s? You think the pressure for a QB taken first overall is the same as it was in Tark's day?

the tenacity of the defenses back then was above what it is today. I'll agree size and speed of defenses today is greater then back then, but today's qb's don't have guys trying to behead them like the Tarks/Bradshaws/Kapps

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree with this..however, Jamis had some pretty glaring flaws coming out of FSU that will be further magnified at the NFL level..as a Buc fan I sure hope he can correct them over the year(s)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A rookie QB doesn’t look like a good NFL player after his first 4 games? Great insight Tark  ::)

Please wait…

• johnd

Participant

No interceptions though.Franny musta hit a nerve, got you googling a 70s QB stats b/c he talked bad about your Jabooooooo

actually I believe it was 1961. 

Please wait…

• johnd

Participant

obviously.  that Mariota kid is good.  Too bad you guys in the local media didn’t make a stronger case for him instead.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You are right. So how much of a sampling is needed in your opinion? I have been on here forever saying a young QB needs time to develop. Keep in mind, Lovie does not have forever to wait.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

obviously.  that Mariota kid is good. Too bad you guys in the local media didn't make a stronger case for him instead.

Yeah because Jason Licht calls us and asks us who we should draft. Dumb statement.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Actually, he does remember that game very well. He used it as an example of how quickly fortunes can change in the NFL for a player in a recent open letter to Mariota: http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2015/09/19/open-letter-fran-tarkenton-marcus-mariota/72471116/

That first game on Sunday showed a lot, but the bad news is that not every game will go so well. After my debut, when it looked like I had it all figured out, I went out for my second game and completed just 8 of 24 passes and threw 2 interceptions. So remember this: when the struggles come, what separates the great quarterbacks from everyone else is their ability to learn. I learned more from losing than I ever did from winning, and when I didn't play well I locked myself away and studied so that I wouldn't repeat the same mistakes.

I'll help you out with his first game, you know the one where he set the record Mariota tied for TD passes thrown in the first game by a rookie? For the record he wasn't benched, he came off the bench to replace the starter. Here's what Tark said about that one in the same letter:

In my first game (incidentally, also the first game in franchise history for the Minnesota Vikings), I came off the bench against the mighty Chicago Bears—owned, coached, and managed by the legendary George Halas, founder of the entire NFL!I entered the game late in the first quarter and had a game I'll never forget. I completed 17 of 21 passes, threw 4 touchdowns, and ran for another—I hope you'll forgive a retired quarterback for bringing up that little edge I still have on you. We shocked the Bears 37—13 and became the first expansion team to win their first game.

Seriously, is there any criticism of Winston that doesn't get excused away or see the critic's credentials/knowledge of the game downplayed? Sure, he's a rookie but he has not played well and thus far has not shown much of the potential that you would hope to see from the first pick of the draft.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

obviously.  that Mariota kid is good. Too bad you guys in the local media didn't make a stronger case for him instead.

Yeah because Jason Licht calls us and asks us who we should draft. Dumb statement.

So you skip right by my question and answer this post.  ::)The Final Countdown is over.........lunchtime.  :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You are right. So how much of a sampling is needed in your opinion? I have been on here forever saying a young QB needs time to develop. Keep in mind, Lovie does not have forever to wait.

Sorry BP, I don't know honestly. But it is certainly more than four games. At least a full season. Some guys take longer. Look at Alex Smith. Heck look at Doug Williams. Even Vinny got better as he career continued. Maybe Glennon goes somewhere and develops more as well. My point though is Fran talking about a QB he hasn't seen play is ludicrous. Especially four games int his career. at age 21! Heck my son is only 6 years younger and he doesn't understand the concept of putting the toilet paper roll back on, much less understanding the concepts of reading an NFL defense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tarkenton said that when it comes to rating quarterbacks, NFL front offices rely too heavily on measuring physical attributes rather than the more nebulous characteristics that define a winner.“The people don’t really understand what makes a quarterback tick,” Tarkenton said, “and they go to the Combine and they do the same things they do on the (other position) players. … You cannot coach a quarterback to be great. The great quarterbacks have one thing in common — they have great character, they’re smart and they’ve figured out how to play. If you could coach it, then we’d have 32 elite quarterbacks in the league and 32 elite backups in the league, and as you know, we don’t have that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wish the experts were right and Jameis was pro ready and good from day 1, but he's not. I'll give him the time he needs to get better. But it would just be ironic if Lovie screwed up the #1 pick like he does everything else

I don't think that's ironic, I think if Winston turns out to be a good qb, that would be ironic, based on the stupidity of everything else Lovie has done.Screwing up the #1 pick would be par for the course for Lovie.

LOLSad but so true."Hey Coach we spent the 1st pick on a WR, do you want to add an OG or OT now?"-Nah ... Any injury prone TE's available?"Sure, but we still don't have a starting OG and Tackle is.."-Who's the coach here? "OK Coach, we got your WR and a TE ... how about that OL?"-We don't have a RB yet!  (Martin, James, Rainey on roster)"..."-Alright now let's see about getting a guard in here.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well if you didn't like them, why are you so enamored with Winston?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tarkenton's rookie season was really bad.  At least Tarkententon eventually had an amazing career. Cosell on the other hand is a blow hard wannabe.  Maybe he should marry Matt Ryan.

Cosell maybe didn't have the physical talent to play in the NFL, but calling him a "blow hard wannabe" is incredibly inaccurate.  The guy taught most of modern football how to correctly evaluate talent over film, and was pretty much the founder of the Modern Day game matchup shows you watch on TV (whether it be NFL Network, ESPN, or the network pre-game coverage teams). He's spent his entire career watching game film and around the game. That right there gives him all of the credibility he needs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well if you didn't like them, why are you so enamored with Winston?

Because I like pocket passers who keep their eyes down the field while avoiding the rush and can make any throw.Tark never did that and neither has Mariota. Simple answer. Any other questions?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree on Tark, not on Mariota after 3 games. He might even be accused of holding the ball too long at times, especially vs Cleveland, where he took a bunch of sacks between the tackles when he could have run.

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

Fran who?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sorry BP, I don't know honestly. But it is certainly more than four games. At least a full season. Some guys take longer. Look at Alex Smith. Heck look at Doug Williams. Even Vinny got better as he career continued. Maybe Glennon goes somewhere and develops more as well. My point though is Fran talking about a QB he hasn't seen play is ludicrous. Especially four games int his career. at age 21! Heck my son is only 6 years younger and he doesn't understand the concept of putting the toilet paper roll back on, much less understanding the concepts of reading an NFL defense.

MC, I know it takes time for a young QB to develop. This is what I have been saying about Mike. I could see this coming, yet we still had those who were posting how Winston was going to be a star from day one.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

sbkq6.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Fran Tarkenton sounds like it’d be someone’s grandmother’s name.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

MC, I know it takes time for a young QB to develop. This is what I have been saying about Mike. I could see this coming, yet we still had those who were posting how Winston was going to be a star from day one.

I think people are confusing "most pro ready" and "star from day 1." Plenty of people locally and nationally made the comment that he was the most pro ready QB since Andrew Luck, but that doesn't mean he skips the rookie phase. I am guessing even Runole expected bumps in the road. I know I sure did. And you know how I feel about Mike. Love the guy, just not the QB so much. And as I mentioned, that doesn't mean he doesn't end up with a better career than Winston in the long run. Personally I saw enough in Mike to believe he was a game managing, not take too many chances, type of QB. You can win games like that, but championships? I'd rather roll the dice on a guy who we know has those extra intangibles, personality and leadership. Again, doesn't mean it works out, but I'd like to see where that ceiling is with Winston. I talk to both of these guys every week in the locker room and Mike is one of my favorites. We mainly just talk college football and stuff like that. He is a very likable guy. Winston is completely different in a one on one setting than he is in front of the cameras. I had my pre conceived notions about him before meeting them and he is really totally opposite. I mean if the dude is faking it then he deserves as Oscar. He really is, believe it or not a real down to earth guy for the most part. Always polite. Sits quietly in his locker and occasionally he and Murphy bust balls about the Gators and Noles. I am not sure why I added all of that stuff lol

Please wait…

• johnd

Participant

So you skip right by my question and answer this post.  ::)The Final Countdown is over.........lunchtime.  :)

well my post was better than your question. 

Please wait…

• johnd

Participant

MC, two years playing in college doesnt make a prospect one of the most pro ready QBs in years.  Thinking like this is falling for the hype, something only  fanboys and casual fans do. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

MC, two years playing in college doesnt make a prospect one of the most pro ready QBs in years.  Thinking like this is falling for the hype, something only  fanboys and casual fans do.

There were plenty of people who actually scout for a living who said it, not me. Go complain to the national guys, the NFL scouts and GMs. AND saying someone is the most pro-ready since so and so, doesn't make them actually pro ready. No college QB is actually PRO READY. You reasoning is really weird and makes little sense. Again, you disagree he was pro-ready? Ok, what kind of affirmation are you actually looking for. Who suggested he would step in and play like a Pro Bowler out of the gate?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tarkenton is a hippie… /cartman

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Crazy the way the mind works. Because Winston was drafted the same year as Mariota and ONE of the comparisons that some analysts made between the two was that Winston should be more pro ready …. The standard some hold Winston is “PRO READY”. That’s almost idiotic, unless the point is “vindication.” Not only was “pro ready” NOT a universal view, by that standard many great QBs were failures 4 games in. Who knows what Winston may become but man the (censored) thrown at the guy is something else

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Many HOF QBS were far from Pro ready when drafted. The one thing I see from him the experts got Right is his pocket awareness. The rest of his game is a work in progress. And he has yet to face a top defense. I look at Troy Aikman, for instance, whose first season was very poor. Once his team around him grew into future HOfERS he and the Cowboys were near unbeatable...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Many HOF QBS were far from Pro ready when drafted. The one thing I see from him the experts got Right is his pocket awareness. The rest of his game is a work in progress. And he has yet to face a top defense. I look at Troy Aikman, for instance, whose first season was very poor. Once his team around him grew into future HOfERS he and the Cowboys were near unbeatable...

And YOU think the bucs will do this?After being a fan of this team for many, many years, i find that part "unbeatable."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not with Lovie running the show.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not with Lovie running the show.

Agreed. But I'll go farther.Not with the glazers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He’s an NFL quarterback,” Tarkenton, who was also critical of Houston’s Ryan Mallett, said on 620 WDAE. “People are playing a lot of money to come to the games. People expect, if you can walk on the field, you’re an NFL-ready player or you shouldn’t be on the field. And Jameis needs to play better than that because if your quarterback doesn’t play at a certain level, your team has no chance to win.”Played well today, progress at least for this week, did well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A perusal of Fran Tarkenton’s first number of games in the NFL would indicate that he’s right. He wasn’t ready to play in the NFL either and he undoubtedly cost the 2-8 Vikes a few wins. Eventually, he became such.

Please wait…

• mfitzpatrick

Participant

Fran Tarkenton also said he has not  watched one of Winstons games yet !! …Fran is trying to sell his books and just looks at a  box score .

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

Suck it Franny, Winston looked pretty good today even showed some of Tark mobility.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Suck it Franny, Winston looked pretty good today even showed some of Tark mobility.

Your kidding right? Jameis had a decent game, but mobility and Jaboo don't go into the same sentence. Dude needs to stop towing the piano...for real.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Fran Tarkenton:  “I think this young man can be a tremendous quarterback.”. In reference to Jameis Winston a few minutes ago on 620.  Also said Jameis needs to be himself because too many clueless coaches try to tell quarterbacks how to play the position when they have never done it at the highest level.  Fran either changes his analysis to fit his audience, or more likely, he is a terrible analyst that brings everything back to himself.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tarkenton is a loser. He threw for 18 TD 17 INT and under 2000 yards in his first 10 games as a rookie.I guess the old coot can't remember back that far. Jameis will be fine. LoL

Yep...Why do they keep rolling the guy out?...Of course, the Glennon and Mariotta Slurpers are going latch on to this like ticks on a hound dog...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Your kidding right? Jameis had a decent game, but mobility and Jaboo don't go into the same sentence. Dude needs to stop towing the piano...for real.

He's mobile enough...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOLSad but so true."Hey Coach we spent the 1st pick on a WR, do you want to add an OG or OT now?"-Nah ... Any injury prone TE's available?"Sure, but we still don't have a starting OG and Tackle is.."-Who's the coach here? "OK Coach, we got your WR and a TE ... how about that OL?"-We don't have a RB yet!  (Martin, James, Rainey on roster)"..."-Alright now let's see about getting a guard in here.

Bucpride5 and THECHEFOa combined Football IQ of 2....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No QB is, or will ever be "pro ready" on day 1. Anyone who believes this line, needs to check their cheeks for a nice shiny hook.

Please wait…

• dalaca

Participant

People paid a lot of money to watch Tarkenton bring a trophy back to Minnesota, instead of being slapped around by Miami, Oakland and Pittsburgh.Tarkenton played some of the most p!ss poor QB'ing in the history of the Super Bowls, imho., I know. I suffered through them, watching him getting slapped around. What made it worse, was I was rooting for the Vikings, and afaik, they were the favorite in at least Oakland and Pittsburgh.I like Tarkenton, but he played a completely different game, and has no room to gripe about anyone, when it comes to playing well, or not choking in big games.

Please wait…

Viewing 90 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.