Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 reply threads

• Author

• Roy

Participant

We are about to enter another dimension – the Free Agency Zone. In other words, on the one hand the Bucs are cap strapped because the cap is only at 180 mil this year. What we need to consider is that every other team has the same problem.

There will be a lot of “cap casualties” as teams face the cap consequences. If Licht can resist the urge to spend all our cap space on our current players and be patient, he can find himself staring at some talented and affordable players who have been cut loose as teams and are available. There will be a lot of pressure from fans and probably coaches to show some loyalty and bring back the players who helped win the Superbowl. But somebody’s going to make out like a bandit and scoop up some free agents at a bargain price. Perhaps the smart move would be to hold off on rewarding the big ticket guys and look to shop the new marketplace later.

That may mean guys like Lavonte David and Shaq Barrett are allowed to shop themselves around. That isn’t going to make for good press when our Superbowl winning stars feel underappreciated and express their displeasure at not getting the offer they were expecting.

Licht doesn’t a fan to tell him what’s what with the salary cap. He knows the deal, but its easier said than done. Will he have the stones to hold back on the big reward paydays and wait and see what players get freed up? We shall see.

• BucBalla85

Participant

Will have to see what can be done with some restructured contracts and then who we can retain. I’d imagine some players will want to join up with tb12 for a chance at a ring. We should contend again.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Like last off season it is easier to just re-sign players that are familiar with Arians/Bowles systems and coaching staff and then fill remaining holes.

Bargain hunting is better served coming from the draft for great value and post draft when vets will be dumped.

Veteran pass catching RB and a veteran edge defender are likely post draft to compete with what is on the roster by then.

Build the trenches!

• chad1336

Participant

I would like to have all of our own free agents signed, but having said that, our best case scenario would actually be for some of our higher priced free agents to get their payday somewhere else because this will allow us to receive draft compensation the following year, right? I only hope that we are able to keep our defense in tact, because I believe our offense has too many weapons as it is, and should only get better next year, even without the entire supporting cast.

In addition, we should be able to get better bargains from veterans who are looking to join the bucs for cheap just to have a chance to win a Super Bowl Ring before they hang them up.

So, after thinking it over, I think this is our best case scenario.

• Greattimes

Participant

I have a crazy idea. Have all the players get in one room alone, tell them what the salary cap is, and then have them decide who gets what.

• RW

Participant

Not every guy is like Evans or Brady. Evans has already restricted his deal to accommodate other guys. Brady has taken less money than he was worth for almost 20 years. Other guys want as much coin as the can get. Going to be interesting to see what the FAs want and who will restructure to help the team.

• Vance

Participant

I really want James White but I know the Packers will get him.

• RW

Participant

White or Rex Burkhead to the Bucs. Fournette is gone

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

I want JJ Watt & Shaq back most importantly. Keep that D in tact. Lvd i hope he takes a cheapish deal. 3 for 30 seems fair

Id love godwin & fournette back but AB is morelikely.

• RW

Participant

Only way you get Watt and Barrett is if Barrett signs for $16 million or under and Watt takes $10 million. Suh would be gone.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

I’d prefer we resign all of our defensive free agents over bringing in JJ Watt. Roll with the guys that got us there.

• SunnyD

Participant

Good teams stay good because they max smart decisions about which talent to keep and which talent to let walk so they can accumulate cheaper talent via comp picks.

I think the worst thing the Bucs can do is mortgage future cap flexibility to bring back every single one of their guys.

It might hurt watching some guys leave but there is a way to do this where the Bucs keep a couple talented guys and get two 3rd round picks next year. I think that is the smart way to handle this offseason.

• JC5100

Participant

See if Haason Reddick will take a 1 year deal.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

This article by PFF ranks the top-150 available free agents and what they predict will happen. https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-top-100-free-agents

Godwin is their #2 overall FA.

They are quite optimistic about us signing back all of our Free Agents. Is this math even possible??

Only ones missing that I could think of were JPP and Fournette. Not sure how either of these guys is not top-150, perhaps an oversight.

Here are their predictions on our guys:
      Prediction: Buccaneers franchise tag Godwin for 2021, and a deal is not reached before the season starts.

Prediction: Bucs sign Barrett for four years, $68 million ($17M APY): $40 million total guaranteed, $20 million fully guaranteed at signing.

Prediction: Buccaneers sign David for three years, $40 million ($13.33M APY): $23.5 million total guaranteed, $17.5 million fully guaranteed at signing.

Prediction: Buccaneers sign Suh for one year, $6.75 million fully guaranteed at signing.

Prediction: Buccaneers sign Gronkowski for one year, $10 million: $10 million fully guaranteed at signing.

Prediction: Buccaneers sign Brown for one-year, $2 million fully guaranteed. Incentives can raise the value of the deal to $4 million.

• jcaulfield8

Participant

Going to be a huge number of 1 year deals until the salary cap jumps again. The lack of competition might keep prices low for this offseason. Might be a lucky year forbus

• Roy

Participant

… or backloaded contracts.

• Tampa Bay Todd

Participant

Think Brady will be the President of the Tampa Bay tourism council this off-season to try and help recruit some free agents to the Bucs. The Florida climate and Tampa vibe obviously, plus no state income tax, is a huge draw and I’m sure Brady will tell others how much he enjoys it here. May help a few to take a discounted price to sign up for that.

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

I don’t see Gronk Getting 10mil again this year… it’s too much when we’re gonna have Howard back and hopefully healthy… Brates contract comes to an end and he’d prolly would wanna be back as he takes a lot less than 6mil he was given to win… I don’t want Gronk back at 10mil a year

• jpsmiley

Participant

I think your underestimating the value of a great blocking tight end who is also a great end zone threat. 10 million is chump change on the free agent market these days. Now that being said, let’s hope that he is willing to resign for less so we can use that money to help keep some of our own.

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

I’m not underestimating what he is as a blocker… 10mil is not chump change on the market it’s actually a very high number especially for TEs… I love Gronk but not at 10mil when we have two other TEs (that don’t block like him) but can catch the and make plays…

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.