Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 30 reply threads

• Author

• Barnz1

Participant

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1390071165377523713?s=20

Geez would’ve preferred to spend that limited money we had left on a Jurrell Casey/Shelby Harris or someone useful but nice deal for Gabbert himself. Seems like it’s more than vet min money for some reason to offer not much

I guess Ryan Griffin will be gone.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Griffin has to be gone because that is too much money tied up at the QB position now. But I wouldn’t rule out the Bucs not signing some UFAs as the Bucs did not like the UDFA market that much given it was so small this year. Bucs usually sign 2-3 additional vets a week before camp starts.

With Griff returning I think that is 80 players on the roster now. Add in the two vets Greene and Jones that should put the Bucs 82 players right? That still leaves room for the Bucs to sign 8 more players before camp begins.

Build the trenches!

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Lolz.

Says all we need to know about Kyle Trask, ladies & gents!

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Well…it is what it is.

The earliest we see of Trask may be 2023 season. But with the way Brady is playing at a high level maybe 2024?

Build the trenches!

• Boid Fink

Participant

Even without Blaine, it says a lot.

Lolz.

Says all we need to know about Kyle Trask, ladies & gents!

• Barnz1

Participant

It’s 2mil for Gabbert, 2.5mil if he hits incentives so slight correction there. Still, you would hope Trask beats out Gabbert for the no.2 role as a 2nd round pick

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Griff is a much more polished passer. Trask may not be able to beat Griff and Trask by default sticks on the roster.

Build the trenches!

• Natural Selection

Participant

Damn. BA said it was going to happen and I’m still disappointed. We’re scared AF the guy we drafted in the second round might have to take an emergency series/game. I wonder if the Vikings are going to sign a vet in case Cousins gets dinged? After all, they drafted the “project” and we took the “pro ready” guy.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Signing Gabbert was 2 fold – (1) have veteran backup that knows the system in case of Brady missing a few games (2) he can teach trask the system and not mess with Brady’s mojo.

If you thought Brady would take some nobody under his wings, your crazy. The signing is more for the development of trask rather than a knock on him

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

That is a fair point and I like this explanation much better.

Build the trenches!

• SunnyD

Participant

This is a “Keep Tom Happy” Signing

On the plus side, Gabbert probably isn’t opposed to helping Trask along in this offense.

• Donkey

Participant

Agreed. Tom seems to be close friends with Blaine. Wasn’t he part of Brady’s UFC posse along with Mike Evans?

• Boid Fink

Participant

No way that happens. Brady gets hurt and it’s 100% BG time. Sadly. Trask isn’t getting into any games, even in trash time. Which is ironic.

It’s 2mil for Gabbert, 2.5mil if he hits incentives so slight correction there. Still, you would hope Trask beats out Gabbert for the no.2 role as a 2nd round pick

• Boid Fink

Participant

Exactly. Brady isn’t mentoring Trask. He is trying to win a title and build more chemistry with his still relatively new surroundings and players. This whole “mentor” stuff is not happening…

Signing Gabbert was 2 fold – (1) have veteran backup that knows the system in case of Brady missing a few games (2) he can teach trask the system and not mess with Brady’s mojo.

If you thought Brady would take some nobody under his wings, your crazy. The signing is more for the development of trask rather than a knock on him

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also signed DB Raven Greene

• RudeGuy

Participant

This signing was going to happen. Trask needs work and is not ready to be #2. Trask can watch Brady and learn from him as he conducts his day to day at the office. He doesn’t have to mentor him in the traditional way we think of a mentor. Some of you need to spend less time trying to figure out if Trask will ever be the right pick at #2. We keep hearing the same recording on every thread. Our #2 pick was not going to start for this team regardless of the position or player unless we took a punter.

• MagicMike

Participant

I agree with resigning BG, and I don’t think it means that Trask was a bad pick, but I disagree with you about the fact that our #2 pick was not going to start for this team regardless of position or player unless we took a punter. The very next pick after we took Trask, Jacksonville drafted Syracuse Safety Andre Cisco who could very well have started over Whitehead at Safety from day 1, and at worst could have helped in dime passing situations and possibly special teams. The argument against Trask is that he won’t see the field for at least another year and possibly 2 years, which is inconsistent with every other decision that the Bucs have made as a team who looking to “win now”.

• Natural Selection

Participant

I don’t understand the argument of other positions not starting as rookies. The obvious and glaring difference being rotation. Brate and AB aren’t starters. They were also both crucial to our team success. Obviously beyond injury protection. Any defender of quality adds value of themselves and better reps for the starter ahead of them (who can rest during games without the defense suffering as much).

Additionally, any other position would not still require vet signing insurances on top of. Which is what makes this pick during this unique cap and team situation more potentially deleterious. Any other pick returning reasonable results would benefit both the roster and the 2021 “all in” cap. Taking Trask in 2nd and still going above minimum for backup, gives some chance for the pick to actually HURT the 2021 roster. It opens up the potential for taking a “lesser” 3rd QB if Trask doesn’t legitimately beat out Griffen. Leaving us with the choices of less injury protection at QB during the repeat attempt or damaging the overall roster with 4 QBs on the initial 53. I think there’s a much lower chance a safety/cb/dt/ot/anything clearly earn a spot at their position group that doesn’t require us eating unusable players. Keeping an “extra” at any other position gives rotation/special teams potential instead of strictly injury insurance.

• Boid Fink

Participant

Bucs wasted this pick. They are reloading and should have drafted depth on either side of the lines. This guy is not the QB of anything significant in Tampa. Horrible pick for so many reasons.

This signing was going to happen. Trask needs work and is not ready to be #2. Trask can watch Brady and learn from him as he conducts his day to day at the office. He doesn’t have to mentor him in the traditional way we think of a mentor. Some of you need to spend less time trying to figure out if Trask will ever be the right pick at #2. We keep hearing the same recording on every thread. Our #2 pick was not going to start for this team regardless of the position or player unless we took a punter.

• LIBucsFan93

Participant

Your a classic example of why fans aren’t General Managers. I’ll play devils advocate here. Bucs drafted Trask because Licht and Arians knew Trask, Mond and Mills would likely be gone at the end of the 3rd round. They were right. That would’ve left options of Ian Book and Sam Ehlinger in rounds 4-7. They were the only other QB selected.

Now lets say Brady wins another Super Bowl and decides to hang up the cleats. If the Bucs don’t select a QB this year where would they be standing going into 2022? Picking 32 again in a Weak QB class. You may not like Trask for whatever reason. He was my 1-a behind Mills but what do I know.

Lastly, every pick in the draft is a crapshoot. Let the kid learn the system behind Brady and Gabbert and see what happens. Trask was an insurance pick IMO. We already have a solid team. Let’s sit back and enjoy the ride in year 2 with Tom Brady.

• The Freeman

Participant

here is the 3 QBs waiting the rookie who may take their spot this year or in the future
      https://mobile.twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1390082545874882569

• Pennywise

Participant

Boid , you offer as much insight as the knees does .

Which is none , just cry like a baby .

• BuccaNOLEer

Blocked

Griffin is gone. Trask may be at #3 for now but he will be getting a LOT of snaps in the preseason.

• Donkey

Participant

Agreed. And guess what, Brady started his NFL career as the Patriots #3 QB. People saying this is proof of Trask being a wasted pick is retarded.

• buc-in-out

Participant

The Packers only Rodgers and Love on their roster, and they’re desperate for more arms for OTAs. This is a smart move, no matter what you think it means for Trask.

Brady’s recovering from surgery, having QBs with experience in the system will allow us to run efficient practices, so the team can start training camp with a full head of steam.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Brady was drafted in the 6th, Trask in the 2nd.

This was a terrible pick and now it’s an even bigger head scratcher…

Still gonna root for Trask but he’s gonna be a bust

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

A career backup with a 2nd round pick may not be considered bust. But it is a poor use of resources though.

Build the trenches!

• Boid Fink

Participant

Don’t let Biggs come out here and out you back into your hole, Jordan Love.

Boid , you offer as much insight as the knees does .

Which is none , just cry like a baby .

• obuc

Participant

Seems to me the QB coach doesnt need to spend time with Brady so that should be 1 on 1 with Trask.

• Runole

Participant

agree Far too much angst towards Trask. There is little if any chance he sees the field this season.
      Good move getting Gabbert back.

• BP1

Participant

OMG this is so like not rooting for him. LOL

• KyBucfan51

Participant

Signing Gabbert will give Trask a teacher on the sideline Bucs know what they are doing by building a strong environment to develop young players across the roster.

• Boid Fink

Participant

Lol!

OMG this is so like not rooting for him. LOL

• BucWonder

Participant

The band is now complete. Great job by Licht, the NFL’s best GM.
      Go Bucs!

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Can we remove this cult-like devotion to Licht, for fucks sake?

It’s still OK to be critical of the moves he makes. Winning it all doesn’t make him infallible.

I’m gonna root for anyone we draft to be successful, regardless of whether I think the pick is trash.

I wanted Winston to be successful. I even wanted Aguayo to be successful… but we knew coming in all the issues.

I don’t like this pick because:
      – he wasn’t the best qb on the board
      – he could have been had later and even if we couldn’t, there were other options
      – you don’t take projects in the 2nd, you take players that can see the field
      – his style doesn’t fit Arians’ offense
      – could have drafted much needed o-line depth

Odds of success here, meaning a starting NFL qb, are ridiculously low…

I’m a Ducks fan and don’t give two shits about him playing at Florida… and Licht has certainly done enough lately to give him the benefit of the doubt.

But this is a bad pick.

• Schwifty9

Participant

Completely agree with you. It’s absolutely hilarious to me how in the eye of the average Bucs fan, Licht went from being an idiot who needed to be fired to being a genius who could never possibly be wrong again ever.

After a 3 year run of incredible drafts that resulted in Vita Vea, Ronald Jones, Carlton Davis, Alex Cappa, Jordan Whitehead, Devin White, Sean Murphy-Bunting, Jamel Dean, Mike Edwards, Scotty Miller, Tristan Wirfs, Antione Winfield Jr and Tyler Johnson, and several clutch picks via trade and free agency like Tom Brady, Shaq Barrett, JPP, Ryan Jensen, Gronk, and AB that culminated in a dominant Super Bowl win, I truly believe that Licht is one of the best GM’s in football right now.

But I can’t lie, After that 2018 season, after all the bad picks, and with back to back 5-11 records when I had been done with Dirk Koetter and Mike Smith and wanted them fired after a disastrous 2017 season where the team got more talented but some how got worse, and Dirk let Djax and Fatty Baker sh*t all over the team, when Licht gave them another year and they did the same thing only worse I was ready to give up on Licht. But getting Bruce Arians out of retirement redeemed him in my eyes. And luckily that turned out to be the right call.

But too suggest Licht is beyond criticism just because he built a Super Bowl winner is laughable.

• Boid Fink

Participant

There you guys go. The above two posts are spot on!

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

There you guys go. The above two posts are spot on!

What?! Licht is a god. He walks on water. He doesn’t make mistakes.

Lies.

• GameTime

Participant

Licht is similar to most GMs…average. but 2 major things have happened under his watch. Getting Bowles (through Arians of course) and getting Brady. Those 2 acquisitions turned him from average at best to looked at as a top tier guy.

• Runole

Participant

Licht is similar to most GMs…average. but 2 major things have happened under his watch. Getting Bowles (through Arians of course) and getting Brady. Those 2 acquisitions turned him from average at best to looked at as a top tier guy.

agree

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.