Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 reply threads

• Author

• BIZKITLIMPED

Participant

Wow, can we please just never ever let Gilkey touch the ball again? I am completely over this guy at center. He sucks. Marpet looked good. Better than expected, and will continue to get better!Donovan Smith got owned on a spin move that caused a sack. After that play, he seemed to get his head out of his rear and played a much better game. Run game looked good early on with Martin. Would have liked to have mixed it up a bit on that first drive instead of 5 straight runs it seemed...that was a little overkill. Thought they could have used some short passes here and there to get Winston in a rhythm.Jameis to me, was as expected for a first pre-season game. Once he found his rhythm there in the second half I found myself hoping he would come out and start the 2nd half and end it on that drive. The mistakes I saw him make, I didn't really see him make again. He's still getting the timing down and getting adjusted to the speed of the game. On his interception, it was just poor placement, bad throw. The ball needed to be low and out in front of the receiver so he could dig it out. It sailed a bit was went the other way. I like how he's not afraid to push the ball downfield. I believe in time he will learn when he can take his shots and when he needs to put drives together and take what the defense is giving him!Defense was spotty for the starters the first drive, but they did a nice job of holding MIN starters to just 9 points. Could have been a lot worse. Liked Alexander, Lavonte was flying to the ball as usual. There were a couple plays we were just fractions of a second from having a couple picks. but that's the NFL for ya.I could care less about the score.There were good things to take away from this game and I believe they will build upon them. All in all, I enjoyed it. Glad to have football back!

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

Good takeaways. Speaking of which I liked the defense looking to create turnovers. I mentioned this in another thread, but I’m not sure what happened to the good run blocking we saw on the first drive. It seemed to disappear after that drive. I would have preferred Koetter calls shorter pass plays to get Jameis in a rhythm. Potential or not he is still just a rookie who is likely nervous in his first game. Jameis looked like a rookie. He seemed nervous at the beginning and just wanted to make the big play. Looked like Mike Evans was laughing because he could tell. I look forward to seeing Jameis next week to see how he improves even slightly. The DLine was a disappointment. I did not see much push on the line, even in the interior. That's disappointing and a nightmare scenario for us. I don't remember how quickly McCoy/McDaniel/Melton were pulled, so maybe they were pulled quicker than I think which would account for the poor pass rush. Lavonte looks like Lavonte. Kwon looks like a great pick. He showed great speed and some instincts to sniff out plays. I'd love to see him manning the middle with Lavonte at Will. The safeties were atrocious, but I also didn't know their names so I assume they'll be out of the league in a week or two. Biggest disappointment: the O-Line. It's depressing if Gilkey is worth a roster spot. A backup punter would be better IMHO. At this rate we cannot afford to lose Dotson for any amount of time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Thanks for the posts.  So much sensationalism right now.  I was pleased to see the quality play from the RBs. It seems like we will cut a decent HB.As for Jameis, I'm not going to roast a guy for mistakes in his first start too much.  I think he showed a good demeanor and good approach to the game.  He seemed to have command of the offense, but missed on some timing and had some poor throws.  If anything, I'm encouraged.  I still expect this to be a year with some high highs and low lows.  But at least there is some hope for now!

Please wait…

• JonMott

Participant

The biggest factor was our special teams on both sides played awful. It seemed like Minnesota was around mid-field every possession. Leonard Johnson got burned on the first drive for that long pass. Jameis made some rookie mistakes but I thought he played okay. Minnesota also played a game before us so they were probably more football ready then us. Excited for our home game on monday.

Please wait…

• redwolf384

Participant

People should have not had such high expectations for this game. Reading through multiple threads on here people are crushing this team. Yes Garrett gilkey sucks. That’s a given. I thought there was some positives on the o line. Pass rush was pretty non existent and. Yes that’s a problem. But I thought Jamie’s settled down and made some nice throws. Everyone is learning the new offensive system so timing and everything else will take a few games to come together. The starting secondary played alright after the first series. At least guys were out there trying to strip the ball all game. Special teams needs a ton of work though. And some of the starters aren’t going full speed its preseason game 1 no need to try to do to much. If this team doesn’t look improved after the 3rd preseason game feel free to put them on blast. There is still a lot of moving pieces here so temper your expectations.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good OP. ST are a concern as is the secondary but I’m most worried about our QB and other young players who I thought showed decent progress. We can’t compete for a title this year so I’m just hoping for solid growth and a killer defensive draft along with a stud WR cuz VJax is getting old

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tbh Gilkey at guard looked rather well out there, saw lots of instances Winston could step up into the pocket cleanly, at center, scrap the experiment ruins the entire flow of an offense when a guy can’t snap the ball. He was running out there with the first team. I expect him to make the rosterPamphile looked better than Smith, feel safer if one has to step up for Dotson after todaySafeties with no experience in the system blew their cover 2 assignment i.e. Hackett on the TDBridgewater looks like he's making the next stepKwon looks like a steal out thereWhy is Leonard Johnson still our nickel corner and not MooreGholston is making a strong case in making the roster, he's coming off the ball really well and has a nice push on the pocket. Sidbury had a nice qb hit Sidbury Gholston are currently in the lead over English for the 4th end spot imoMarpet looks very promising as most can noteI really wanted Eric Kendricks in that draftMccoy needs to stop getting offsides penalties, Im tired of him falling for the wrong snap count, I know its his go to, but Brees and Ryan take advantage of him every year.Jameis was nervous, needed more short passes to get him comfortable, or put him on the run earlyClay needs to understand it's his job to lose and those early returns was him losing itMurphy is in the lead for slot receiverTe's are gonna have a considerable role in this offenseI think Stocker can be a fulltime fb saving a roster spotOutside linebackers need to move better laterally on rollouts to get in the passing lanes of the slot/te crosser, either they dont see it sneaking behind them because its on the other side of the field or theyre not moving laterally quick enough, you saw it a lot on bootlegs

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

bizkit and mic – nice writeups.i didnt get the game on NFL network - so the night started bad for me.  would have liked to see more from winston, but heck, his first game and he settled nicely.  i thought he was decisive with the ball, and was pushing it downfield.  he showed some quicks on the run - scared me.the OL.  thought they did alright for the most part.  as mic mentioned, gilkey was okay at G but daggumit he cant snap.  dsmith got abused by a 10mil DE on his first play but thought he settled in and was fine after that.  the running lanes closed up fast after the starters left, but overall seemed decent enough.murphy came in and looked like hes been playing with winston his whole life.  herron really impressed me, if hes for real this year he makes a tough roster cut.  stocker showed more athleticism in his one catch than ive seen from him since hes been here.  thought the defense was all over ASJ but i didnt rewind to look at it.  not sure why king was targeted so early in the game.thought all the RBs looked good, we are set there.  even gonna lose someone who goes to another team and does something and we hear about it on the redboard.didnt really have enough time to watch the DL 1s.  we still stink at QB rollouts.  mccoy will probably hear about his effort on goalline.  thought sidbury looked real quick out there, he might be our last DE.  did fatinikun play?  gholston did look ok, along with bowers, but i think it was more of amount of snaps and competition.  melton made an impression early in the game.LBs - thought we looked good there.  kwon was everywhere.  david doing his usual thing.  carter didnt do anything special but looked solid.  saw a lot of greene.  not sure if thats good or bad for him.LJ seemed to be the culprit on both of the vikings early big gainers.  why isnt moore in there?  wonder if banks lost the ball on his EZ play?  verner looked good.  im not upset at hackett for not being NFL ready.clay looked strong to me.  he played dumb for sure.  but he was sure handed, unafraid.  for his first game, i loved it.  he'll learn when to faircatch, and when to get yards rather than dance for the big play.  but he looked exciting and surehanded.  kevin odea though?  jeez, im not sure how that guy still has a job.i didnt watch any plays more than once, doubt ill rewatch anything.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Moore needs to be the nickel cornerback ASAP.  Leonard Johnson isn’t starter material.  Gilkey is terrible at center, and looked very ordinary at guard.  Rather see Marpet out there than Gilkey or even bringing in Evans.I am not feeling it with Donovan Smith as a LT, because it seems to me has a better future at RT or interior play.  Maybe he improves?  I agree with others that Pamphille has made strides at LT though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

just saw winston on ESPN, love it.  so many were worried about him losing, he sounded great on the podium.  on the TD run, bobby rained needs major props for his block, saving winstons life.also loved the hurry up we went to.  both QB seemed to like it.  also, anyone see a good angle of the vjax catch?  did he have to fall down?  ill take a 40yard pass anyday, but the one angle i saw looked like he didnt need to go down for it?odd that omameh didnt play.  stinks that allen is hurt, not really sure how warren played.  if gilkey cant play C, that changes a lot of our depth.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My thoughts.I think Koetter opened with runs to give Winston a chance to settle in. Then his first pass should have been an easy pass to ASJ (a pass he's been hitting in practice), but ASJ was covered. Winston should have checked down, but he forced the pass. The second miss to Evans, was either a timing issue or Winston just threw it late. I think Winston was just too amped up at the beginning of the game. Overall, I liked how Koetter called the game, going up tempo here and there. Winston seemed to do a good job of handling the line calls, on his interception, he pointed out the protections correctly (verified by Ronde during the telecast), but should have checked down out of the pass. That's a rookie mistake.Other than the first snap, where he let in the sack, D. Smith I thought played okay for his first time. Marpet seemed to play well, but a couple of times I noticed that he got ridden back into the pocket. Overall, the line play in the first quarter I thought was better than it was last season. But once we started moving bodies in an out, it got much sloppier. Doug Martin ran very well, I thought Sims did as well. That's a positive. VERY disappointed in special teams. They were a mess all night. A big part of the final score was due to bad coverages/decisions on special teams. I thought the interior defensive line looked strong. However, linebacker coverage on roll outs were killing us. I'm not sure if that was a linebacker responsibility or nickel, but someone was really screwed up. Safety play was not good most of the night.Overall, I saw some good, but there was still a lot of critical breakdowns that need to be cleaned up. That's pretty normal when you are relying on rookies and 2nd year players. I'm worried about how the Bucs are going to deal with Dotson's injury. I'm assuming at this point, they will move Pamphile over to right tackle and keep Smith at left tackle only because I don't think it's a good idea to have two rookies play next to each other on the right side. We need Josh Allen back. After watching Gilkey as center, we can't afford to have him be our backup center during the season. Your backup guard has to play center and it's looking more and more like Marpet will win the RG position.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Four takeaways, three of which I didn’t see mentioned.First off, as others have said, we seemed to have no pass rush whatsoever.  When Hill or Bridgewater could back into the pocket, and pulled out their Iphone and text their mom before hitting the receiver, that's a dead giveaway that something is wrong! We had absolutely nothing going on in terms of getting to the passer.Though this is related to the pass rush, both Hill and Bridgewater had wide open receivers all night when they were in there.  Many times these receivers were open early on.  Does the secondary not understand their system?The fact is that the Vikings looked like the better team all around last night.  However, especially when the back ups were in, the tackling was atrocious.  On numerous occasions it looked like our reserve players were just hitting running backs without trying to wrap them up.  If this is representative of our depth we are in trouble.  And it does not bode well for Bowers when I didn't see the second half even against back-ups (though I could have missed him).Finally,  Glennon did nothing in my opinion to make us worry about our back up quarterback situation.  We need to keep him, that we are in decent shape should Winston have to be taken out on  occasion,  even as we don't want that to happen.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Best Performance Offense – Louis Murphy provided a spark. Honorable Mention: Herron.Best Performance Defense - Lawrence Sidbury.  Honorable Mention: Kwon

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Byron Leftwich.  :(

Please wait…

• water130u128

One thing of note:  The first three plays where pass plays.  Winston wisely audibled them to three run plays based on what the defense was giving him. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Donovan Smith got burned his first play, but was more disappointed in his effort than the fact he got toasted.  Herron is looking pretty good out there.  He has a nice burst.  I would have liked to have seen more Kenny Bell, as he and Winston seem to have developed a good rapport.DT's are the strength of our Defense but our LB's aren't far behind.  I also like what I see from Verner and Banks.  Nickel is a different story.Obviously we are not gonna see our entire offense (or even most of it), but I was also confused as to why Dirk was not calling more QB friendly short/intermediate routes.  When those are clicking, the deep routes will be there.  Of course, maybe it was just Winston choosing to air it out.Glad to see Doug Martin looking like his old self.

Please wait…

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.