Viewing 22 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Bucs in a tough spot with Doug Martin October 14, 2015 Gil Arcia  doug1_zpst2lauf3s.pngThe Buccaneers 38-31 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars featured a successful running game. While it was a joint effort, fourth-year back Doug Martin was a big reason for it. Martin finished the game with 123 yards rushing on 24 carries and two touchdowns. His ninth 100-yard game makes him tied for third in team history with the most 100-yard games. He also finished with three receptions for 35 yards and a touchdown.“When I go into a game, I just think about if I do my job and play hard, then everything else will fall into place,” Martin said following the game Sunday. “I find a way to do my job and just keep on punching and something eventually is going to pop. That was my mentality going into the game.”That mentality worked as his performance puts him in the running for this week’s NFL FedEx Air & Ground Player of the Week. And his two touchdowns may make him the favorite.But beyond his weekly success so far this season is a bigger situation. And that is whether the Bucs should (or can they) keep him for the long term. The team decided this past offseason to not pick up his fifth year option on his contract. It has clearly been a motivational tool as it has forced Martin to perform.But Martin is running like he did his rookie season. He is looking better in his running style and appears determined to prove the Bucs wrong in not picking up his option.However, how many times have we seen a player perform well during their contract year and once they get a new contract fade away once again? Will that be the case with Martin as well?Tampa Bay can begin contract discussions at any point, including in season, if they decide to move forward with him. In a way, they should. Just to see where his mind set is. Then there is also Charles Sims who appears to have improved from last season’s inconsistencies as a rookie, making their thought process on the matter much more difficult.There are a lot of questions surrounding how the front office should handle the situation in the backfield. While some view it as there being time left to decide on what to do, that time to make a decision can run out quickly. Then Tampa Bay can find themselves regretting the decision they made.link

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“However, how many times have we seen a player perform well during their contract year and once they get a new contract fade away once again? Will that be the case with Martin as well?”.....don't get me started

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It might be too soon. Let the season play out a little more.  Remember all the extend Freeman now talk?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

With the wear and tear and the abundance of talented backs in the league today, unless it is very cost effective with lots of incentives and the ability to get out early without a lot of guaranteed $ owed, I’d be perfectly fine with letting him walk. Second contracts for RBs have not been very successful over the past decade.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He is likely going to have a big year statistically and this front office is going to give him a top ten RB contract. Even if this isn't a contract year explosion - Bucs will get maybe another 3 years of productivity from him. He already has one 300+ touch season and is on pace for 300+ touches again this year and those have historically shortened the careers of non-HOF tailbacks. Having said that, if Winston is the franchise QB we all hope he is, we should be making a playoff push in the next three years in which case Martin would be an essential asset. They may as well extend him now - Assuming he will sign on the dotted line - because at least he won't need to be paid free agent market value which has the potential to be excessive.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I only think you should pay RB’s big money if they are head and shoulders above everyone else, and before this last game I said I was not in favor of giving Martin a big contract, but I’m changing my mind. Martin may just be that good. A lot of subtlety to his game as far as winning when contact occurs; he reminds me of Curtis Martin from the Pats and Jets, who had a nice long career. I know he had the freak injury in 2013 and was said to be nicked early last year, but the way he plays I think he can stay healthy. We should wait until the end of the year. I almost doubt he’d sign a contract yet either, but when he does it may be top 5 RB money if he keeps playing this way.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yep.. He keeps going this way, he’ll be top tier money for a RB.. Not sure Lovie likes him that much.. And as a RB, he shouldn’t be looking for any less than his worth. This will be his last shot at a big contract. I'd hate to lose him as I think it will open up another hole. Not high on Sims.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Doug Martin looks really good this year. We should be able to win some games with how he is running the ball.I would only sign him to a second contract if it was pretty cheap. If he really is running for dollars I would not want to get into a bidding war.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

4 years, 16-20 mil, about half guaranteed.  Offer him a reasonable contract imo.  If he is looking to maximize his payout, let him find it on the market.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dudes on pace for 1600 total yards and 13 TDs, and he didn’t even really have a good game until last week. You guys and your lowball numbers are being dumb. He’s going to make somewhere around what Murray did last year if he keeps this up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Everything is relative. If you can extend him on a good deal, do it. If not, let him walk.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dudes on pace for 1600 total yards and 13 TDs, and he didn't even really have a good game until last week. You guys and your lowball numbers are being dumb. He's going to make somewhere around what Murray did last year if he keeps this up.

But, do you roll the dice on a back who's been injured as much as he has? And for that kind of money?

Please wait…

• stonecoldbucsfan

Participant

Dudes on pace for 1600 total yards and 13 TDs, and he didn't even really have a good game until last week. You guys and your lowball numbers are being dumb. He's going to make somewhere around what Murray did last year if he keeps this up.

But, do you roll the dice on a back who's been injured as much as he has? And for that kind of money?

Spiller, Gore, and Vereen just got 4M/yr contracts while Murrays is 8M/yr. I think somewhere in the 5-6/yr for Dougie would be fair.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Spiller, Gore, and Vereen just got 4M/yr contracts while Murrays is 8M/yr. I think somewhere in the 5-6/yr for Dougie would be fair.

I could see something between 4-6M/yr.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If that is accurate, I pray that "somewhere" is not Tampa.  He is running much harder than he ever has as a pro.  Including his only other good season as a rookie.  I do not see Doug Martin running this way season after season.  Glad we are the beneficiary of his drive this season.  Should drive up his pricetag and his compensatory value if some other team gives him twice what they should.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

NFL runningbacks who earn 6 mil per season or more:  AP, Lynch, Foster, McCoy, Murray, Forte, Stewart, Charles.  There is not another running back over 4.2 mil per season currently.  How much do you want to pay contract year resurgent Doug Martin?

Please wait…

• farzillo

Participant

NFL runningbacks who earn 6 mil per season or more:  AP, Lynch, Foster, McCoy, Murray, Forte, Stewart, Charles.  There is not another running back over 4.2 mil per season currently.  How much do you want to pay contract year resurgent Doug Martin?

I would be fine with 4 years 18 mil. With guaranteed money the first 2 years only.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m all for giving him a fair deal, but I would not break the bank on him.  We need to stop writing contracts based on the previous year and write them based on the player’s whole career.A great RB is an asset, but a good RB is easy to get.  We need to decide where Doug falls on that scale.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Love Dougie but I have always been on the opinion, that RB’s are plug and play. Spend your $$$$ on the O-line.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Big money?  hell no.  Let him test the waters…….  losing martin may or may not be a bad thing…..depending on his replacement(s)my hunch is somebody out there is going to offer him far more that what we think he's worth.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Big money?  hell no.  Let him test the waters.......  losing martin may or may not be a bad thing.....depending on his replacement(s)my hunch is somebody out there is going to offer him far more that what we think he's worth.

Yeah I would love to keep Martin but I doubt he gives us any kind of discount.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think you gotta keep him. For the following reasons:We spent a first round draft choice on him. Let's get the most value we can from him. I don't want to spend another draft choice on another RB. He's a good player. He's not great but when healthy he's a good player. We are familiar with him. Fits in locker room. Solid character. I don't think he's going to command top dollar. He's going to get paid solid money but nothing that is going to kill you cap wise. Shows other players that when you get drafted here and play well you get rewarded for it. I say bring him back.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

With the wear and tear and the abundance of talented backs in the league today, unless it is very cost effective with lots of incentives and the ability to get out early without a lot of guaranteed $ owed, I'd be perfectly fine with letting him walk. Second contracts for RBs have not been very successful over the past decade.

Agreed. -We'll see how the rest of the season plays out, but presently, totally agree.

Please wait…

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.