Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 23 reply threads

• Author

• Pennywise

Participant

Buccaneers informed WR Chris Godwin he is being franchise tagged, per espn

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Pennywise.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Heeeeeee’s back!!!
      This is great news. Hope we can sign Shaq to a long term deal. Figured the tag was going to one of these two players.

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

Bucs are already working on a long term deal with him and apparently the wheels are turning and it should be wrapped up before the start of free agency.

• Pennywise

Participant

I think Shaq gets signed, David will be playing elsewhere next year

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Pennywise with the quick breaking news on Godwin, well done.
      Hope you’re right about Shaq and wrong about David. Would love them all back.

• JC5100

Participant

Don’t get it. Godwin’s play has screamed long term extension ever since the end of his rookie season. Barrett’s trend screams tag. Godwin’s tag is above market value, Barrett’s tag is below market value because 4-3 DEs are not calculated.

• Pepsi

Participant

You’re acting like the players agents are clueless and have no control on how things get done. Tagging Godwin this year, and extending Barrett this year are both wins for the players, while still being wins for the Bucs 2021 back to back campaign

• Pennywise

Participant

15.8 million is Godwin tag number

• leeroybuc93

Participant

I think this was the right move. One more year to see if he’s the 1300 yard guy or the injury plagued guy before we commit long term. I certainly didn’t want him to leave and this keeps him here for at least one more run. Good call.

• Watchman

Participant

I truly believe that Godwin has the skillset and potential to be the best WR in the NFL.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

This is a situation where using the tag makes sense IMO.

Nice!

Now to re-sign the rest of the crew.

Build the trenches!

• Lord Nemesis

Participant

Entirely expected.

Man, if we can get Shaq and David back then you couldn’t ask for anything else.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

What are the odds that the Bucs are able to bring back Shaq, David, and Suh? If that all happens the Bucs are looking good.

Throw in Gronk and AB and I think the Bucs are cooking.

Build the trenches!

• Pennywise

Participant

I think David is gone , Suh and AB 50/50
      Gronk will be back

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Jets might throw the bank at David.

I feel good about Gronk, Suh, and AB returning though.

Build the trenches!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Alldaway 2.0.

• Pennywise

Participant

NFL Stats
      @NFL_Stats
      ·
      3m
      Chris Godwin is 1 of 5 WRs with 7+ TDs in each of the last 3 seasons…

The others: Mike Evans, Tyreek Hill, Tyler Lockett, and Calvin Ridley

• Charles

Participant

It is smart. If Brady doesn’t come back you don’t have all that money tied up going forward with no QB.

• buc_boi

Participant

I really hope we don’t make a play for OBJ.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

I doubt it.

AB is the better value and better at freeing up things underneath when he runs deep posts. Plus, AB can run routes underneath that Brady prefers.

Build the trenches!

• acacius

Participant

Just a reminder that the team can still sign him to a long-term contract. I’m not saying this is definitively the case or anything, but it’s entirely plausible that this is just the team keeping anyone else from throwing stupid sums of money at him while they shuffle contracts and keep negotiating with him.

• Pennywise

Participant

AlbertBreer
      Having tagged WR Chris Godwin, I’m told the Bucs have begun discussions in earnest on a long-term deal with Shaq Barrett, one of the stars of Super Bowl LV and a crucial edge-rusher in Todd Bowles’ defense.

Barrett won’t come cheap. But Tampa’s working on keeping him

• obuc

Participant

I’m curious what is going on that they tagged him at the last minute. Were they trying to get a longer term deal done and it failed? By not getting that done, does it suggest we might lose someone else? the thing about the tag is all that money gets eaten up in this years cap. There is no tossing it to year two. So did that failure mean they might not be able to sign everyone? That could have costed them 7 mill or so in all the other contracts this off season.

• Boid Fink

Participant

Shaq is going to get what his agent co sliders “low ball” figures from teams. The cap adjustment will all but assure that. Even if a team has a lot of cap room, I think they will shy from offering the brinks truck to him. To me he is worth it. One of the three best pass rushers in the league. Donald, Shaq, TJ Watt. Elite pocket wreckers.

Bucs need to really find a way to keep Shaq.

• seekpar

Participant

Very glad to hear this. Godwin is one of my favorite Bucs players. Solid dude, good receiver and blocker, go-to guy on key downs, potential to be even better is there. Yeah, he had a few drops in the playoffs, but he wasn’t alone in that department. The injury to his hand may have had an impact.

• Mic

Participant

I can’t imagine David wants to go to another losing franchise that probably won’t even care about him. At least he’s revered around here in Tampa and has a shot at another super bowl. When you’re a loser for 8 years in the same place and you built it to a champion an extra 9million compared to your career earnings of 80-90m shouldn’t be so important. He can go elsewhere if he wants that extra 4-5m for 3 years. It’s business anyways

• BucBalla85

Participant

Happy he will be back. If we can get Shaq and Barrett back too we will definitely have a shot at going for two. Easier said than done tho.

• tiapanda

Participant

Lavonte David will retire a Buc. There’s no way the Bucs let the heart and soul of this defense walk and the last thing Lavonte wants to do is move on. Keep the Buc lifers, Brate and Gholston. The Bucs FO will find a way to keep everybody they want. This is not one of those “I’m going to cash in after winning a Super Bowl” situations, except for Lenny. I’m going to post now since they just signed David. Yes!!!!

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.