Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 4 reply threads

• Author

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

• Wutt

Participant

#notshocked

• Roy

Participant

Yeah not shocking.

Hopefully, you can use the threat of the tag to sign Godwin. That’s what happened with Donovan Smith. They announced they were going to tag him. Then with the tag looming they got a deal done. Godwin could just wait out the tag year, but “a bird in the hand…”. He plays a position with a high risk of injury. All he has to do is tear up a knee and it puts a big damper on his earning power. In the case of a looming tag, it would be better for Godwin to work out a deal instead.

That scenario would leave the tag open to use on another player. Well, OK, who else then? I can only think of one other person who the Bucs might tag, and this may surprise you. Ryan Succop. He would earn near the top of scale at about $4.8 mil, which is fair enough. He proved that he is money in the regular season as well as the playoffs. The benefit to the Bucs is that its a one year deal, not a long term contract. That can always be worked out down the road. But if you are going to tag someone other than Godwin, I’d say tag Succop.

• JC5100

Participant

Tag should be used for Barrett. Godwin probably wants the tag because he didn’t have a good contract year because of injuries.

• Roy

Participant

I’m totally against giving Shaq his 2nd tag. The 2nd tag is 120%, about $20 mil. He won’t like it because this is his time to cash in with a long term deal. If anything happens to his season he’s done as a Buc. He’s not resigning here. Whereas if you tag Godwin you can still work out a long term deal. There isn’t going to be any long term deal here for Shaq. Set him free. Let someone else pay the premium price. Tagging Barrett is a terrible idea IMO.

• JC5100

Participant

$20M is fair market for an elite edge and it keeps him on that 1 year deal.

• CyberDilemma

Participant

I’ve seen Shaq in at least a half dozen interviews saying how much his family loves it in Tampa and how he loves it in Tampa and how he really loves the defensive scheme he is in. I really don’t see Shaq as one of those egos that wants to have the highest defensive player contract in the league knowing he’ll never see the money on the back half of the deal as it usually plays out. I think he wants a long-term home and security for his family. I don’t see him as the type that once he gets the big pay day he slacks off like Haynesworth did. It might be worth the risk for the Bucs to go off their normal contract script and offer him a large signing bonus and a long-term deal in order to push the cap burden into future years when the new TV deal kicks in and the cap is significantly larger or offer him a larger guarantee portion of his salary than they normally would in exchange of the higher salary. And for those that said he was interviewed and said he was ready to break the bank now, it came across to me he was saying it half jokingly, and he was somewhat coaxed into saying it by Schein. In his interview with Dan Patrick after the Super Bowl he said that he wants to be in Tampa and they want him and they’re gonna find a way to get it done.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.