Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 40 reply threads

• Author

• threadkiller

Participant

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/bucs-to-bring-in-ex-colts-t-cherilus-for-visit/2241556Didn't see this.  Sorry if already posted.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not sure how he graded out, but I don’t remember it being favorable.Still can't grasp how we didn't bring in more vet o-linemen through free agency.  Relying on solely draft picks to fix one of the worst lines in football is just insane to me.

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

Its in one of these other threads, but interesting none the less. It may be just a bandaid.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They probably scheduled him before they knew Dotson would be ok. And its bad juju to cancel the visit. So they may sign him for camp fodder. And see how he looks while Dotson is on the mend. He is a big boy, but 31 years old.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not sure how he graded out, but I don't remember it being favorable.Still can't grasp how we didn't bring in more vet o-linemen through free agency.  Relying on solely draft picks to fix one of the worst lines in football is just insane to me.

Those weaknesses would be strengths the next year on my watch. Seems like the most logical frame of thought really.Because, isnt that the idea, improving what was busted?Idk what lovie was doing on his time off, but im starting to doubt he sat in his basement watching tape, or learning anything new. It was the same as always with lovie. Bears fans werent surprised at all. They didnt like how lovie ran an oline either. Which makes it worse to think that he allowed warhop to tag around.The only difference between lovie now, and lovie then, is the fact that A) he was on a larger market team, b) had a fairly rounded defense given to him, and c) found a rb he could hang his hat on.Just like gruden, he has never developed a qb, or an oline for that matter. Nothing has changed.Hell, our own teams ways havent chaged either, as we are back to "saving money" mode. Just to add to that bit of flubbedupness.That line was so bad last year, there shouldve been a tryout line completely wrapped around rjs. People can spare me the bullspit, as i know there was slim pickings too.In that event, there wouldve been people lined up in the tryout line, if not out of need, depth, or flat out despiration. Some of these guys are here because they have lovie-love, not because they have upside or are probowlers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree with most of that Bench.  I don’t think the pickings were AS slim though.  We brought in Wis, and should have signed him.  He signed for peanuts out in Jax.  There were other options too, which would have given us exactly that…options.  Lovie can spare me the Pamphile and Edwards as competition bit, they're projects. When your line is as weak as ours, you don't have time for projects.  I agree, he stubbornly stick to what he's familiar with.  And his tendencies seem to be holding strong, which isn't a good thing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree with most of that Bench.  I don't think the pickings were AS slim though.  We brought in Wis, and should have signed him.  He signed for peanuts out in Jax.  There were other options too, which would have given us exactly that...options.  Lovie can spare me the Pamphile and Edwards as competition bit, they're projects. When your line is as weak as ours, you don't have time for projects.  I agree, he stubbornly stick to what he's familiar with.  And his tendencies seem to be holding strong, which isn't a good thing.

Ive always thought the same way as lovie in life. Repetition gets it right the majority of the time. Mastering a craft takes dedication to that craft alone.However, IF you cannot master that craft, it ends up being an excercise in futility.In lovies case, the world around him has changed. His "craft" isnt the same value as it was a few years ago. People used to love going to cobblers at one time too.As it stands lovie wont change unless he is literally forced to. Its what got him all that hes had. At least in his eyes. And techincally, for him, it wasnt bad at all. Ill take it.I like that he put faith in drafted ol, but to not suppliment that with young bucks or tough vets doesnt bode well for our qb, or or team, let alone winstons health.Keep in mind, it was still pretty slim pickings, as some of the guys that were brought up in the offseason werent going to come here regardless. The apathy towards doing anything extra after draft is what bugs me.If im lovie, oline might have an insane amount of roster spots taken up. If you cannot get quality, at least get quantity, and HOPE you are really buying a hidden gem.Hanging onto "servicable players" only means you havent tried anything more, or are willing to accept mediocre from that position because "they know the system." I think the team does better than what we currently have seen, and i still believe they probably will reach at least 500, but i find it hard to believe were going to reach playoffs with lovie cuffing everyones hands.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Average to the core. But a vast Improvement to the depth chart ranks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

that decision to take the 7th round FB instead of La’el Collins is looking stupider by the minute

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

that decision to take the 7th round FB instead of La'el Collins is looking stupider by the minute

Yup

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

that decision to take the 7th round FB instead of La'el Collins is looking stupider by the minute

the decision to not draft any OL for about the last 10 years is worseagree with your point though

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

agree, for every team in the league.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Average to the core. But a vast Improvement to the depth chart ranks.

Yes he would be, he's likely an improvement over pamphile and it couldnt hurt to bring him in.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Still can't grasp how we didn't bring in more vet o-linemen through free agency.  Relying on solely draft picks to fix one of the worst lines in football is just insane to me.

who?we still have first place in waiver wire, right?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That is true.  Every team in the league has need for quality young football players.  Most could use a quality guard/tackle prospect.  A Few even had/have a glaring need coming off a disastrous season there.  Yeah, there should have been a few other franchises as desperate to take that chance.  None more so though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Meh – big body – adequate depth.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He isn’t an upgrade over what the Bucs have. Evan Mathis is however….

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He isn't an upgrade over what the Bucs have. Evan Mathis is however....

ain't happening, if someone wanted to break the bank and sign an old azz OL they would have already...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Worst kind of hindsight. At the time the guy was (wrongly) toxic, as evidenced by the fact that NO team made that move. Not stupid at all, unless the standard is clairvoyance

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Worst kind of hindsight. At the time the guy was (wrongly) toxic, as evidenced by the fact that NO team made that move. Not stupid at all, unless the standard is clairvoyance

It wasn't even the wrongly toxic point of not taking him in the 7th. His agent was screaming that if he was drafted he would sit out and go back in to the draft next year. Which they have come out since and said they definitely wouldn't have sat out the year, it was a ploy to give Collins his choice of team and more favorable contract situation as an UDFA.Every team was convinced that drafting him was equal to throwing a pick away because Collins would sit out. His agent pulled off a miracle.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Still can't grasp how we didn't bring in more vet o-linemen through free agency.  Relying on solely draft picks to fix one of the worst lines in football is just insane to me.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]We tried that last season, brought in Collins and Smith and even some other experienced guys like Cousins and Gilkey [/font]and that worked out really well for us last season... ::) In hindsight, it would have been better to have played Pamphile at LT and Edwards at RG all last season and not have them sit on the bench while we played Collins at LT and crap at RG, they certainly could've played any worse. So, they learned that lesson last season and they are giving the guys they hope to live with for the next few years the experience that we could have got last season. I'm not disappointed that they didn't bring any vet offensive line men at all. We are not going to the playoffs this season - so better to give those reps to the guys we want to run the offensive line next season. JMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So let me get this straight……last year in FA we swung and missed. So this year we leave the bat on our shoulder and watch the strike go by. Gotta swing the bat if you want to hit the ball fellas, and just because you swung and missed once doesn’t mean you stop swinging…..just adjust your swing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

on the flip side, for years we have said we want highly drafted OL.  now we do it, and our fans are clamoring for old broke down dudes.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

on the flip side, for years we have said we want highly drafted OL.  now we do it, and our fans are clamoring for old broke down dudes.

We want a functional offensive line and will accept any combination of bodies that brings us closest to that point by game 1 of the 2015 season.  Clearly, we still have a ways to go and I think it is very legitimate to wonder if we really do have the best pieces currently available (including staff).  We can't go back and draft more of them over the past 6-7 years at this point. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We want a functional offensive line and will accept any combination of bodies that brings us closest to that point bypreseason game 1 of the 2015 season.  Clearly, we still have a ways to go and I think it is very legitimate to wonder if we really do have the best pieces currently available (including staff).  We can't go back and draft more of them over the past 6-7 years at this point.

for most of the board i now agree.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think its a function of us never drafting OL that we need to get some older guys who have actually seen real NFL actionits a bit much to ask 2 rookies to come in and be starters and expect perfection. Cherilus isnt great but hes functional and can provide some veteran insight and depth that we sorely need

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

This. It's ONE preseason game. If Ali becomes a starting caliber guard and Smith becomes starting caliber left tackle no one will remember this. Edit: I live in Dallas and this board sounds like Cowboy fans 3-4 years ago when they drafted OL high and the OL was still a problem. Now they all swear they believed in the rookies from the start and knew OL was the way to go.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This. It's ONE preseason game. If Ali becomes a starting caliber guard and Smith becomes starting caliber left tackle no one will remember this. Edit: I live in Dallas and this board sounds like Cowboy fans 3-4 years ago when they drafted OL high and the OL was still a problem. Now they all swear they believed in the rookies from the start and knew OL was the way to go.

I agree with this. I'm not opposed to bringing in Cherilous though - he's not great, but he's probably better than any RT option we have with Dotson out, with the possible exception of Pamphile.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He isn't an upgrade over what the Bucs have. Evan Mathis is however....

Actually I wouldn't want him over either of our starting OGs. Im convinced that Mankins is going to have a superb year. He looks like he has put in the work in the gym and he has been stonewalling guys all TC long. On the other side, Marpet looks like a monster. Yeah, he is a young guy who needs time to develop and fine tune his technique, but despite being from a prospect from an unknown DIII school, he has been more physical than every opponent he has faced so far.... That list includes Gerald McCoy, Clinton McDonald, Henry Melton, Sharrif Floyd and Linval Joseph. I would much rather give the reps to Marpet so he can develop faster than overpay some bum who no other team wants.

Please wait…

• caso03

Participant

Did Jason Licht put Evan Mathis on his do not call list?

Please wait…

• caso03

Participant

What’s wrong with this?Smith-LTMankins-LGMarpet-CEvan Mathis-RGPamphile-RT

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What's wrong with this?Smith-LTMankins-LGMarpet-CEvan Mathis-RGPamphile-RT

I thought Mathis was a zone guy and wants a lot of $? If true, isn't he a "big name" that is a bad fit?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’ve said this possibly a million times….- Evan Mathis quite possibly isn't a fit for this defense - his high PFF scores are almost entirely based on his run-blocking score. That score comes in a system that we don't run. - He has no incentive to sign anywhere now. He benefits from desperation.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Other than Marpet never having played C before?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bucs signed Cherilus to a 2 year deal per Stroud

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Roy Cummings ?@RCummingsTBO 1m1 minute ago#Bucs have agreed to terms on 2-year deal with veteran OT Gosder Cherilus.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dotson is going to be out for a while.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Even if he’s not, why take the risk?  Chiefs just lost another T to injury - chances that Cherilus survived for very long on the couch were probably slim.

Please wait…

• bucbach234

Participant

Agree with everybody about Mathis but honestly I felt that the Bucs should have tried Smith at RG since he got here.The way I saw it when the two were drafted wasLT: DotsonLG: MankinsC: MarpetRG: SmithRT:PamphileI know it's scary to practically have three rookies on one side of the ball but hey gotta start someone. Dotson is probably one of our most athletic tackles we have. That's what needed for the LT position. not with Dotson out for a while and Cherilus as the RT, I would still consider the above lineup except for Pamphile as the LT. I think Smith has great size and athleticism for a G or RT but maybe not a LT although he played 3 years at the position. If the team still thinks he'll pan out there, get him started at Guard or RT and shift him over to LT later. should've kept Dotson on the left side.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

dotson doesnt want to play the left.  mathis, as BR keeps pointing out might not be the best fit, and his demands are assumed to be too great.  the team drafted dsmith to play LT, and marpet to play RG.  they arent going to change that plan already because some guys saw a few plays on youtube.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m reading that Dotson will be out 10 weeks, he’s probably going on the PUP.They made the needed move in signing Cherilus. The Vikings lost their starting LT on the 2nd play of the game to an Achilles tear. Wonder who they are going to sign to replace him.Is Jake Long still a free agent?

Please wait…

Viewing 40 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.