Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 16 reply threads

• Author

• Buc45

Participant

The guy is a legit talent. Not only can he cover but he is a tackler, not just a hitter, he wraps up. He is tough as hell too which is why I think the Bucs like him. I am curious to see if they move him to safety because I think he would be a natural there. He can cover in the slot, physical enough for tightends…perfect compliment to Evans. Evans is a great talent but Stewart would be the leader in the secondary…Think Kwon in our defensive backfield. Our secondary just got a lot better. I can not see this guy not starting from Day 1.

• Buc Bauce

Participant

Licht and Koetter said they see him as a corner who can play inside and outside.

It seems that were sending a message to hyena ganja boy… You better get serious, your replacement is already here.

Competition is always a good thing.

• PassThePigSkin

Participant

I think Tanard Jackson played corner in college before switching to safety for the Bucs. Stewart is definitely strong enough to play the position.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

I think Stewart is so good he is going to end up a boundary CB. I think putting him to play safety is actually not his best position to utilize his skill sets to the max IMO.

Build the trenches!

• Havok904

Participant

Hargrave will probably move to slot.

They probably will try to use Stewart at SS.

For right now, Stewart is a bit too stiff in the hips to play outside CB.

Ryan Smith should have been a UDFA vs. being drafted. He’s a backup now.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Ryan Smith wasn’t that bad as he actually improved playing boundary CB down the stretch. He is actually showing more progress at boundary than the more talented Hargreaves.

With the selections of Stewart and Carlton the Bucs don’t have to force Ryan Smith out there on the boundary though but he is nice for depth.

Build the trenches!

• Team Pteranodon

Participant

Think Kwon in our defensive backfield. Our secondary just got a lot better

So makes a few splash plays and we almost forget about the rest of his play being below average? You could say that also makes him the Chris Conte of the backfield unless he colors his hair red too. I think he basically fits that mentality of getting tougher everywhere on the field, if he plays CB that just means at the cost of speed.

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is kind of a confusing pick to me because I like the player but im not sure where they will line him up. If they wanted a SS I feel like they would have drafted someone with tape at that position. Harrison, Reid, Allen still on the board when we made that pick. Could be wrong but that just seems more logical to me.

Either way our secondary is much more physical now. Hopefully this means less off coverage on 3rd and short.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Question about changing the defense:

I know many are not a fan, but is Ryan Smith one of those corners who struggles in off coverage but is better in press? I ask because Hargreaves seems better at press coverage and isn’t Stewart the same? How about Davis?

Are we seeing the Bucs planning on heavy pass rush, press coverage, as opposed to all the off coverage?

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Yeah they can try Stewart at SS but I think they are doing him a major disservice by lining him at SS. He has so much talent he can potentially play boundary CB at the NFL level.

Upgrading safety would be nice but finding several competent boundary CBs given Grimes age is a higher priority.

Build the trenches!

• Ft Myers Buc Fan

Participant

Crownless King.

I thought the same thing you did about changing the scheme a little. I think Smith felt the CBs had to play off last year as we had no pass rush whatsoever. Now that we have a DL that can rush the passer and cause havoc, I think we do go to more of a press coverage scheme that plays more to VHIII strengths and our draft picks. I also love the fact that we got a taller CB in Davis to match up against the larger WRs.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

MJ Stewart is probably the most underrated player drafted by the Bucs. He is a legit talent and means serious business on the backend.

Build the trenches!

• Pennywise

Participant

Boundary corner? In college maybe

• spartan

Participant

” hyena ganja boy”

Nearly spit my coffee out. Good one.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Don’t sleep on Stewart. The guy can ball.

Build the trenches!

• BucBalla85

Participant

From all that I’ve gathered he is a tough physical corner. We need a guy like him back there.

• SCLOBERNOCKER

Participant

I think the scheme is changing a bit. Dirk was asked in the press conference about press/off and he said they will scheme to the strengths of their players. Considering the types of guys VH3, Stewart, and Davis are, they went out to get press corners.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.