Viewing 21 reply threads

• Author

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/may/28/1700-vets-not-official-wait-list-phoenix-va-prelim/How many people are in the VA system? How many people in the US?

Please wait…

• vlagatta

crickets

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Medicaid map is pretty telling. All the southern states below VA, Texas, Az, and Dekota have refused to expand its Medicaid program under the affordable healthcare Act. Not because it was the right thing to do(it wasn’t) but because the elected officials from those confederate states wanted to save there seats.While Medicair would have covered a working family making under 32000 a yr and brought down cost of private insurance, in those states it won't and thousands were dropped from their Medicaid plan. Gotta love the south

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

not sure I follow the point. how does the dysfunction at the VA prove it was the “right thing to do” to expand another government health system? Doesnt it suggest the opposite conclusion?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

not sure I follow the point. how does the dysfunction at the VA prove it was the "right thing to do" to expand another government health system? Doesnt it suggest the opposite conclusion?

dysfunction at the VA is further proof that we need one committee, body, to provide general oversight to healthcare. You think the 40+ vets that died waiting to be seen at the Phoenix VA hospital were the only one. The complaints have been piling up for decades. Why now is the media interested? Oh yea, it’s a campaign year. The VA, even though a federal program, operates as seperate offices just like Medicaid. At least Obama sees the problem and is working toward fixing it unlike a lot of politicians who are only interested in political posturing

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

not sure I follow the point. how does the dysfunction at the VA prove it was the "right thing to do" to expand another government health system? Doesnt it suggest the opposite conclusion?

dysfunction at the VA is further proof that we need one committee, body, to provide general oversight to healthcare.

I am not sure if you are calling for streamlined government or another layer of bureaucracy, but thanks for the clarification. my point was just that if you put politics aside (difficult, no doubt) who would look at the federal government and say "oh yeah, that is the solution to a complex, nationwide problem."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Isn’t this more of a government problem than a universal health care problem? The VA isn’t funded or staffed well enough to handle all of the new patients that having multiple over-a-decade long wars creates on top of all their other patients. I fail to see how this is an indictment on government funded health care.Because the VA services a small number of people and not the greater public, it generally gets put on the back burner. If it did serve the greater public, it wouldn't be. As the son of two veterans and the grandson of two more, and someone who used to work in the VA system, I know that this is a political issue, not a health care issue. If less politics were played with VA funding these things wouldn't happen.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Isn't this more of a government problem than a universal health care problem? The VA isn't funded or staffed well enough to handle all of the new patients that having multiple over-a-decade long wars creates on top of all their other patients. I fail to see how this is an indictment on government funded health care.Because the VA services a small number of people and not the greater public, it generally gets put on the back burner. If it did serve the greater public, it wouldn't be. As the son of two veterans and the grandson of two more, and someone who used to work in the VA system, I know that this is a political issue, not a health care issue. If less politics were played with VA funding these things wouldn't happen.

so its a lack of $ thing, more taxes ("funding") needed

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Isn't this more of a government problem than a universal health care problem?

So who exactly is it that provides "Universal Health Care?"

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

right

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Death Panels at work… long before the website?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Its a shame to see the VA in such disarray

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Isn't this more of a government problem than a universal health care problem? The VA isn't funded or staffed well enough to handle all of the new patients that having multiple over-a-decade long wars creates on top of all their other patients. I fail to see how this is an indictment on government funded health care.Because the VA services a small number of people and not the greater public, it generally gets put on the back burner. If it did serve the greater public, it wouldn't be. As the son of two veterans and the grandson of two more, and someone who used to work in the VA system, I know that this is a political issue, not a health care issue. If less politics were played with VA funding these things wouldn't happen.

Basically. Who's denying that health care costs money? Places with universal systems all generally have high taxes. We all know that. They also have a happier and healthier populace.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You're missing my point. For every cherry picked situation like this there are millions of individuals content with their government sponsored care across the globe. So this doesn't prove that universal coverage is bad. It proves that our government handled this badly. The government needs to be fixed. Not the concept.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Basically. Who's denying that health care costs money? Places with universal systems all generally have high taxes. We all know that. They also have a happier and healthier populace.

In bold, huh? Just using England as an example, and based on real world experience, that is not true.  The truth is actually between the two extremesThe problem is that healthcare in this country costs TOO MUCH money in part because the government works against its citizens, not for them. I am reminded of that every time one of my buddies in Florida flies to Hawaii for his Florida-based drug company's annual meeting. lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You're missing my point. For every cherry picked situation like this there are millions of individuals content with their government sponsored care across the globe. So this doesn't prove that universal coverage is bad. It proves that our government handled this badly. The government needs to be fixed. Not the concept.

you realize that you are applying your logic unevenly, right?  In other words, there are also millions of individuals unhappy with aspects of their "government sponsored healthcare across the globe" so this doesn't prove that universal health care is good either.  The bests systems in the world are probably those that lie in between our system and universal health care

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

In bold, huh? Just using England as an example, and based on real world experience, that is not true.  The truth is actually between the two extremesThe problem is that healthcare in this country costs TOO MUCH money in part because the government works against its citizens, not for them. I am reminded of that every time one of my buddies in Florida flies to Hawaii for his Florida-based drug company's annual meeting. lol

One of the major reasons health care costs soooo much more here is the for profit system. It's the lack of government involvement.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

you realize that you are applying your logic unevenly, right?  In other words, there are also millions of individuals unhappy with aspects of their "government sponsored healthcare across the globe" so this doesn't prove that universal health care is good either.  The bests systems in the world are probably those that lie in between our system and universal health care

What country has a great system that isn't universal?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

One of the major reasons health care costs soooo much more here is the for profit system. It's the lack of government involvement.

I agree, I just stated it differently. That is what I meant by working against the citizens. The government is involved in the pharma biz, just in the wrong way

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What country has a great system that isn't universal?

I am not sure that any country can claim to have a great system because they all have drawbacks, but a buddy in Holland (educated in the US and very much a capitalist) speaks highly of their blended system and that system seems to make sense to me (I am no expert).  In the UK, there is a de facto blended system. There is a base level of universal care, but then anyone who can afford it buys private.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Vin, I think I understand what you mean. I don’t necessarily disagree. When I say universal all I mean is that every one has access. Whether that be through public, private, or mixed means is where the variation occurs.Personally, while I prefer it to ours, I am not a huge fan of the UK's system, or of using the VA system as a national model. Ideally, I'd like to see a universal system put in place that makes the current VA system no longer necessary, and have it streamlined to focus treatment on strictly veteran issues, such as ptsd, amputations, etc because servicemen/women can be treated for their general healthcare needs with the larger public.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the concept of the Dutch system is really universal care at some level and then private care at another

Please wait…

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.