Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 44 reply threads

• Author

• BadabingBucs

Participant

There was a recent response to a Leonard Fournette twitter post by Gronk along the lines of ” I’ll be wearing a #7 jersey in the stands for you”

Now while we all know Gronk has a sense of humor, that certainly isn’t giving me the warm and fuzzy feeling of him returning.

i think we all assumed he would return but what are your thoughts on this offense without Gronk? do we add a vet WR or TE?

i’m personally concerned with a rehabbing Godwin likely to miss some time, no Gronk and relying heavily on Gage to step up.

We saw how this team looked without AB, Godwin the last month of the season; almost losing to the Jets; beating up on a sub par Carolina team, dominating Eagles, and taking miracle turnovers for us to be competitive in the Rams game.

it’s not a matter if we can make the playoffs with the current roster, it’s if we can win a Superbowl.

• TCB2W!

Participant

Yup, no point in watching any games if it’s unlikely we win the Super Bowl. Gronk or call off the season!

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Yup, no point in watching any games if it’s unlikely we win the Super Bowl. Gronk or call off the season!

I mean we watched the games when they were a dumpster fire from 2004 through 2019 so gronk not returning won’t prevent that

So what’s your thought? Does gronk impact our win total.

What do you have us at W-L with, without?

• BucBalla85

Participant

He said earlier he’s likely back but wanted to make Brady sweat a little bit maybe he also didn’t realize it would make the rest of us sweat too with that kind of talk lol

• Swash

Participant

I believe it’s probably Gronk returns. He wouldn’t be playing games like that on social media if he was in fact done.

But let’s say he doesn’t, do the Bucs feel comfy going into the season with Brate the #1 TE?

Who might be available in a trade?

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

If Gronk doesn’t return you sign a vet to pair with Otton and Brate and turn the page. Use remaining cap space to bolster some reinforcements for the defense. The defense needs help IMO.

Losing Gronk isn’t the end of the world for the offense because they are better prepared this year by drafting two inline blocking TEs on the roster to ensure the run game doesn’t falter. Going out of their way to draft a blocking TE when the team historically has used a sixth OL in goal line/short yardage situations is very telling.

But losing Gronk does lower the Bucs ability to make mismatches in the passing game and his familiarity with Brady to attack zones.

I do believe Brate can handle being used more in third down situations but losing the explosive plays from Gronk will hurt. And also without Godwin.

Build the trenches!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Alldaway 2.0.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

I believe it’s probably Gronk returns. He wouldn’t be playing games like that on social media if he was in fact done.

But let’s say he doesn’t, do the Bucs feel comfy going into the season with Brate the #1 TE?

Who might be available in a trade?

Honestly not much out there – maybe Jared cook or jack Doyle on the free agent market

As far as trade would likely be from a non contending team like the jets; nobody close to gronk level tho

While maybe I was suggesting another WR to help with mismatches

Thinking about it, he’s gotta be coming back right? Who waits that long and to put Brady team at disadvantage to replace

• RHBucsFan

Participant

I still think he’ll be back. He would of officially retired if he really wanted to. Don’t forget that.

Also, I’m glad that we don’t have to put up with Bucs fans on here saying we’ll be fine without him because OJ Howard is going to have a breakout season.

Also, we need to add another receiver with Godwin not ready at the start of the season. Every receiver not named Evans proved they were made of glass when we were empty handed and needed someone.to step up.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

I still think he’ll be back. He would of officially retired if he really wanted to. Don’t forget that.

Also, I’m glad that we don’t have to put up with Bucs fans on here saying we’ll be fine without him because OJ Howard is going to have a breakout season.

Also, we need to add another receiver with Godwin not ready at the start of the season. Every receiver not named Evans proved they were made of glass when we were empty handed and needed someone.to step up.

i agree on that front.

We did add Gage but he basically replaces Antonio Brown. I’d argue that we got a little worse there.

Depending on Godwin recovery and his style of play that has made him miss time the last 3 seasons, it’s a no brainer to add another vet WR that is willing to join the team to try and win and not worried about targets.

that is hard to come by. Jarvis Landry at $3 million per year is a damn steal for the Saints. I’d take a washed up Julio Jones as our #4 guy or as somebody who can step in and Brady can trust in a big game situation over what we saw in the Rams game.

if the investment is $3,4 million; and all we have to do is restructure a contract; it’s worth the improvement of our chances of winning the super bowl.

one little move like that can be the difference. Look at the Trask draft pick. If instead, we drafted a depth player that dressed; might be the difference between the 1st and second seed. We dont play wild card round, Wirfs doesn’t get hurt; we’d face off on the 49ers instead of Rams.

• tiapanda

Participant

The Bucs already know Gronk’s coming back. We have plenty of young promising WRs. Don’t need Landry. The offense is stacked. Just need to shore up a few defensive spots.

• seekpar

Participant

We need us some Gronk! Great run blocker and big play threat.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

The Bucs already know Gronk’s coming back. We have plenty of young promising WRs. Don’t need Landry. The offense is stacked. Just need to shore up a few defensive spots.

Exactly.

And we certainly don’t need a washed up Julio.

I swear, everybody beating the drum for him didn’t watch him play a single game last season.

They just want “a name”.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Exactly.

And we certainly don’t need a washed up Julio.

I swear, everybody beating the drum for him didn’t watch him play a single game last season.

They just want “a name”.

sometimes a name and proven player can come up clutch

last year, we had a measly 31 receptions for 434 yards, averaged 43.4 yards in 10 games in a run first offense. the year before, he played in just 9 games for Atlanta averaged 85 yards a game with 771 yards.

clearly he is not the elite WR he has been since entering the league hence the opportunity for bargain and maybe the fact that he gets hurt alot recently that he’d be ok in the limited role to chase a ring

Tyler Johnson had 36 receptions for 360 yards in 17 games last year. Scotty, Breshard, JD, Cyril, you name it. None of them stepped up the last 4-5 games of the year without Godwin, AB; Evans out a game

So we signed Gage to essentially replace AB – leaving Evans, Godwin, Gage. Just need a guy that in the event we are playing the Rams in the playoffs and Godwin is out, Evans is double covered; need more options.

Doesn’t have to necessarily be Julio Jones. Could be somebody else; but if having to choose between a washed up Julio and WR’s 4 through 8; give me a washed up Julio

• RudeGuy

Participant

Gronk has already said he will only sign with the Bucs if he comes back, he said he was going to let Brady sweat out his return, his girlfriend wants him to play, he throws a curve saying he will be wearing a Lenny #7 jersey in the stands this season, and he loves attention.

All signs point to Gronk playing this season for the Bucs.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

but if having to choose between a washed up Julio and WR’s 4 through 8; give me a washed up Julio

I’ll happily take Grayson over a washed up Julio.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Grayson was MIA at the end of last season when we needed him. So was Perriman, and all of the other receivers.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Grayson was MIA at the end of last season when we needed him. So was Perriman, and all of the other receivers.

yeah he’s just being a “debatable Dan”

• JC5100

Participant

Offense is deadly when Scotty Miller is cooking.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

yeah he’s just being a “debatable Dan”

Coming from a guy who blames Arians for everything AB-related.

That’s precious.

And, btw, Grayson was injured at the end of the season.

“bUt lEt’S sIgN wAsHeD uP jUlIo bEcAuSe hE’s a nAmE i rEcOgNiZe”

Hell, I’d rather have “One Trick Pony” Miller out on the field vs. Julio.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Grayson was MIA at the end of last season when we needed him.

Grayson caught the game winning TD in Week 17. Not sure what you’re talking about, unless you’re referring to him being injured and missing the playoffs. He wasn’t missing-in-action, he was injured in Week 18.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Playoffs obviously. After that awesome Jets game he was done. Perriman was injured or whatever too.
        Tyler Johnson was invisible and Scotty was banged up all year.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Playoffs obviously. After that awesome Jets game he was done. Perriman was injured or whatever too.

Scotty is a fan favorite for his effort and big plays but just was in the doghouse for all of last year and if you really look at 2020 was a victim of Antonio Brown addition. His 500 yards came mostly pre AB and if you recall AB didnt play the Packers playoff game in which Scotty had the big catch.

Could it be Arians had him in the doghouse? maybe but i dont see much difference with Brady…er um Lefty in charge

• Biggs3535

Participant

Tyler Johnson was definitely missing-in-action. He was in the action, but barely did anything. He’s a big disappointment.

Grayson wasn’t missing-in-action, because he wasn’t in action. He was injured.

• ratiffshabang

Participant

I truly believe Miller will be back making big plays this season. Injuries and having Brown take plays from him were the main difference the last two seasons. Hopefully Brady can develop more of a rapport with Scotty. I’m not sure Gronk is coming back, my gut feeling is that he retires but just hasn’t fully made up his mind. Obviously we needed bodies at TE with OJ leaving and uncertainty about Gronk. However, I don’t think we draft Otton if they knew Gronk was definitely back. We would’ve needed at least 1 TE regardless, but probably more in line with Ko. McBride would’ve been ideal but he was gone and Goedeke was also a position of need. So they drafted the probably the 2nd best all around TE this year. Wydmeyer was more of a blocker and Woods was mainly a receiving end. So I can only assume they went Otton bc they needed a balanced TE to fill Gronk’s role (obviously not as good). I was hoping for Isaiah Likely personally but I understand why they went Otton. Guessing they’ll fill the last spot with a vet

• parnelldickinson

Participant

Gronk’s still a great player . It took him about 10 games into the 2020 season to get back in form. He is so clutch at big times and he is a throwback to players from the 60s and 70s. I hope everyone appreciates the consumate pro that he is. And he puts his body out there on the line with no disregard over his career. We would not have gotten into the playoffs without him last year.

• Trask Force

Participant

People think that the longer Gronk goes, the less likely he is to re-sign. I’m not sure it isn’t just the opposite. Gronk, like Brady, doesn’t seem to have made public any plans for his life after football. The longer he goes without a plan, the more likely it is that his plan really is to return to football. He said a while ago that he was going to make Brady sweat a little bit. While making Brady sweat may not be the actual reason, this was probably telling us that he was going to enjoy the offseason without football. But what is he going to do now? He doesn’t seem to be moving on to the next chapter, so that should tell us he’s still in this chapter.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Miller can ball and I think that with increase opportunities he will shine. But I still wouldn’t put that much pressure on Miller with Godwin out IMO. Gage and Evans on the outside with a vet thrown in would allow Miller to be a complete mismatch against dime defenders. Same with Perriman IMO.

So yeah adding another vet WR till Godwin is back isn’t a bad idea.

T. Johnson, Grayson and Darden will have to really show up to beat out Miller and Perriman IMO.

Special teams is a factor too which might give one of the WRs an edge. But till Godwin is back you need a legit #3 WR to step into the fold. Bucs right now have a collection of decent #4s and #5s at the position and would be higher on other team depth charts. So, the Bucs are fortunate to have depth but it still may not be enough. Time will tell.

Build the trenches!

• Swash

Participant

All da way – you need minimum 6 WR’s to start the season in todays NFL. I think Darden is directly competing with Miller. Johnson is likely directly competing with Grayson.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Gage and Evans on the outside

Gage has largely been a slot receiver in his career, and I don’t expect that to change in Tampa. When they go to a 3-WR set, I fully expect Gage to be in the slot until Godwin returns.

Gage Career Snaps by Position:

Slot Snaps: 1094
      Wide Snaps: 841

The team doesn’t need another WR, but I’m sure they’re looking to upgrade the bottom of the roster at every position.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Only positive if Gronk retires is that we have more $ for Edelman or Suh or Julio.

That being said I’d prefer Gronk over any of those 3.

TE is currently the weakest unit on the roster.

• Swash

Participant

No shit Gronk is more important than those you mentioned. How the hell is that relevant? You think the Bucs are going after Edelman or Jones? Lmao…

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Gage and Evans on the outside

Gage has largely been a slot receiver in his career, and I don’t expect that to change in Tampa. When they go to a 3-WR set, I fully expect Gage to be in the slot until Godwin returns.

Gage Career Snaps by Position:

Slot Snaps: 1094
      Wide Snaps: 841

The team doesn’t need another WR, but I’m sure they’re looking to upgrade the bottom of the roster at every position.

Disagree wholeheartedly!

You probably thought we didnt need another WR last year as well, huh?

Oops!

You said if yourself. Gage is a slot WR.

Who’s our #2 atm? Perriman? Grayson? Yikes.

If we had Gronk WR is less of a need.

If we had a healthy Godwin WR is less of a need.

Unfortunately neither of these are the case atm.

Godwin is more likely to miss 8+ games then he is to play 10+ imho.

Damn you Saints!

• Biggs3535

Participant

It’s patently obvious who does and who does not understand how rosters look around the NFL. Go check the Falcons, Saints, and Panthers WR depth charts and get back to me.

This team doesn’t need another WR.

Who’s our #2 atm?

Gage. And then he’ll move to the slot in 3-WR sets, with Miller, Perriman, or Grayson probably going outside.

This was already in the post you quoted, Doc.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

It’s patently obvious who does and who does not understand how rosters look around the NFL. Go check the Falcons, Saints, and Panthers WR depth charts and get back to me.

This team doesn’t need another WR.

Who’s our #2 atm?

Gage. And then he’ll move to the slot in 3-WR sets, with Miller, Perriman, or Grayson probably going outside.

This was already in the post you quoted, Doc.

Injuries happen. Its a rough sport.

If theres an upgrade availble, do it.

Last year proved can never have too much depth bud.

• Swash

Participant

You can have too much depth. It’s called a salary cap and a limit on how many players on the roster. You are just a walking cliche-machine huh?

• BadabingBucs

Participant

You can have too much depth. It’s called a salary cap and a limit on how many players on the roster. You are just a walking cliche-machine huh?

pretty sure the Rams, Saints, and even our Bucs disagree that there is a salary cap

can we at least put it in quotes “salary cap” with the Dr. Evil finger motion

• Swash

Participant

The salary cap can be tinkered with year in and year out as the cap rises but it very much still exists and you will be paying those void years eventually. The Bucs utilized that with multiple contracts
        in 2021, but this year only Gholston was given a void year. The Bucs are cognizant of the future despite competing for Super Bowls, it’s a balance.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

The salary cap can be tinkered with year in and year out as the cap rises but it very much still exists and you will be paying those void years eventually. The Bucs utilized that with multiple contracts
      in 2021, but this year only Gholston was given a void year. The Bucs are cognizant of the future despite competing for Super Bowls, it’s a balance.

The Bucs were damn well going to be in full rebound mode if they didnt land Deshaun Watson prior to Brady retiring.

We maybe would have franchise tagged Godwin but dont see alot of our signings happening without Brady returning

They need to be all in and what is a few more million leveraged in future years if we go for a Superbowl.

right now, we have limited depth on our front 7. We need to bulk that up.

im not asking for Von miller over here. Asking for some vets that if they sharpen their pencil on compensation, it’s a no brainer for voidable years

Bucs have sucked for the last 15 years prior to Brady coming to the team, there is no such thing as balance.

Detroit and Cleveland have been rebuilding for nearly half a century. You go all in and worry about the future later

Who would have thought the Saints could still add pieces. I think they were close to like 80 million over the cap in March. It’s certainly manageable.

• Swash

Participant

Good points here and I agree we need to add 2-3 additional veteran pieces to our front 7. I like Suh, Nassib, and possibly Deion Jones (once Falcons release him) as options. BUT we can’t get silly and frivolous (like signing Julio Jones) if we want to make a real effort to improve the defensive depth.

I think Gronk is 100% coming back and already has a wink-nod agreement with the team in place. But how his contact is structured will be contingent on how these others guys contacts are FIRST

• Biggs3535

Participant

Injuries happen. Its a rough sport.

Thanks, Doc.

If theres an upgrade availble, do it.

This was, again, in the post you quoted, Doc.

Last year proved can never have too much depth bud.

Have you had a chance to look around at the WR depth around the NFL, yet?

Too many fans look at the Buccaneers as if they are in a vacuum. They aren’t.

• Swash

Participant

I personally LOVE our wide receiver room and don’t feel like it needs to be added to unless there’s an injury. After roster cut downs there’s gonna be atleast 2 guys from the group that will be picked up by other teams.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

So what now?

Need another weapon if we are to compete with rams

• parnelldickinson

Participant

Any ideas on a veteran free agent tight end to add…ebron, jared cook??

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Why would Gronk wait until now to announce his retirement, knowing the Bucs were counting on him to return and contribute?

I’m not believing it at all. He’ll be back in a Bucs uniform week 1. Count it.

• BucWonder

Participant

Gronk could change his mind just like Brady did.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Why would Gronk wait until now to announce his retirement, knowing the Bucs were counting on him to return and contribute?

I’m not believing it at all. He’ll be back in a Bucs uniform week 1. Count it.

I’m sure there was pressure on him seeing it was Brady’s last ride

If all he wanted was to skip preseason couldn’t he just have not signed until then

I think it’s wishful thinking to think he’ll be back week 1

Maybe mid year but I just don’t know how effective he’ll be at that point. He was ass first half of 2020 and training on the side isn’t the same game shape as in uniform

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Bucs should use remaining cap space to fortify the defense and add another weapon on offense. Bucs may roll with what they have at TE but I think they will add another vet WR when it is all said and done. With training camp and pre season injuries do happen.

And injuries will often dictate how a roster takes shape.

I just do not see Licht sitting on his hands and not adding another weapon on offense IMVHO. It is just not his MO.

Build the trenches!

• This reply was modified 4 days, 10 hours ago by Alldaway 2.0.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Pretty sure you don’t, but do you get a comp pick when a player retires?

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Bucs should use remaining cap space to fortify the defense and add another weapon on offense. Bucs may roll with what they have at TE but I think they will add another vet WR when it is all said and done. With training camp and pre season injuries do happen.

And injuries will often dictate how a roster takes shape.

I just do not see Licht sitting on his hands and not adding another weapon on offense IMVHO. It is just not his MO.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 10 hours ago by Alldaway 2.0.

Fire Licht brought up a good proposal in another thread – Julio and Ebron

I’d also imagine they will keep some space in the event Gronk does return for week 8, 9

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Seems incredibly selfish of Gronk to come to this decision AFTER the draft and after free agency. I’m not buying it.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

I am not convinced that Gage will play exclusively in the slot until Godwin returns given the current WRs on the roster. Because of that reason alone signing another vet WR that can play on the outside seems a good possibility so Gage can focus exclusively playing from the slot.

In addition I feel that Gage is better on the outside than Perriman and that Perriman is a better mismatch on the inside than the outside in the event the Bucs do not add another vet WR.

Ideally the Bucs would like to have Gage playing the majority if his snaps from the slot. But the reality is that Gage is the best player on the roster after Evans on the outside at the moment.

Bucs also prepared in the event Gronk moved on and drafted two TEs that can be inline blockers but also be part of a limited passing attack. But the reality is that Gronk was more than a dump off receiver in the passing game as he was used to attack zones.

I wouldn’t mind if the Bucs add Ebron to be honest but I think having another vet WR jumps up in priority so the passing attack doesn’t drop from very, very good to just good.

Going to need the offense to fire on all cylinders until the defensive front seven can gel IMO with several new comers and for
      the veteran L. Ryan to sort out communication issues on the back end with Neal. Once the backend vets are on the same page with Winfield, Edwards, Dean and Davis the secondary will be a strength of the team heading down the stretch.

Build the trenches!

Viewing 44 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.