Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 18 reply threads

• Author

• Roy

Participant

Is it just a little disconcerting that Gronkowski said “I’m coming back to play football…” and not “I’m coming back to play for the Bucs.”

We all know he wants to play for the Bucs, but he doesn’t have a contract does he? So he was careful about his wording. He can’t come out and say he’s going to play for a team when he doesn’t have a contract. No doubt there has already been discussions about a contract. But IMO this is his way to subtly give notice that he’s not going to play for peanuts.

So the upshot is that although we all know Gronk would prefer to play for the Bucs, he subtly opened the door to the possibility of playing for another team.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

He won’t play without brady.

No chance.

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

I agree with Debucs…. he will only play if Brady is throwing to him

• Swash

Participant

Although highly unlikely to happen. Gronk could play on a different team in 2021. Miami could make a hard push for him. Part of the reason he came out of retirement and agreed to a trade with Tampa Bay was because he was still under contract in New England and this was finally a way out. I’m not gonna rule it out. Obviously he should be a priority.. he was an elite level blocker and decent receiver after he got his feet back… but no, he won’t play for peanuts nor should he.

• Wutt

Participant

No way he plays without Brady, I swear you people read to much into shit.

• Anonymous

Inactive

He’s a free agent who spoke accordingly.

Nothing to see here.

Is there a chance he signs with another team? Absolutely, but it’s a small chance IMHO.

• creamsicles

Participant

I want him back, but if not, we get a comp pick.

Win / Win as long as he doesn’t retire again.

• Roy

Participant

I think he’ll be back. TB12 isn’t negotiating to extend his contract fo less than his market value just to have his favorite target fo elsewhere. but I’m questioning the idea that Gronk is going to come back on a bargain basement contract.

• Boid Fink

Participant

Gronk and Brady are boys. Gronk will find a way back I ti the starting lineup. He could run and catch (made some incredible catches down the stretch), and his blocking was very good, considering the stat quote Ra that said he wasn’t really a good blocker. That crap I read in this forum by a few posters made me question their football acumen.

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

Trust in Brady.

• Roy

Participant

Update. Now he’s spelling it out a little clearer. He’s saying he’s going to dip his toes in the free agency waters. In other words “I’m not working for a bargain basement salary.”

• BucBalla85

Participant

I think he will be back. I think he is just wanting to enjoy being a free agent. Get wined and dined and have a bunch of people constantly kissing your ass. He will do that and then once all the offers come will just take the Bucs offer to play with Brady. Although we should be fine if he does decide to go for the bank.

• obuc

Participant

I am sure this is his agent talking and possibly a hint to rush talks before Wednesday. Don’t be surprised if he, Suh and Succop sign in rapid succession.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

He’ll play longer then brady if he wants to. Years longer if his back allows.

Brady will be his only qb til Brady retires.

• Roy

Participant

He says he wants to play for the Bucs, but he’s never been a free agent before. OK great. But how much energy is any other team going to put into signing you if they don’t think you are really serious about them. He wants a one year deal, but this year has the low cap value. That makes it hard to use salary cap tricks to get you more money. That makes it tougher to structure a cap friendly deal. So whatever. He likes to have fun. Go have fun playing for the Lions then. But whatever nonsense he’s doing right now I think he’ll end up with the Bucs at about $8 or $9 mil.

• mjs020294

Participant

Gronk has won a few rings so he might just decide to take the best one year deal available. Hopefully the can work out a decent two year deal plus a voidable year to keep him in Tampa for the rest of Brady’s career.

• SunnyD

Participant

It cannot be overstated how much Gronk’s blocking ability helped this offense.

It would be big misake for Licht and Co. not to bring him back. He is far more important than Suh.

• Greattimes

Participant

How much money do the Bucs have left under the salary cap after signing Shaq?

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

Is it just a little disconcerting that Gronkowski said “I’m coming back to play football…” and not “I’m coming back to play for the Bucs.”

We all know he wants to play for the Bucs, but he doesn’t have a contract does he? So he was careful about his wording. He can’t come out and say he’s going to play for a team when he doesn’t have a contract. No doubt there has already been discussions about a contract. But IMO this is his way to subtly give notice that he’s not going to play for peanuts.

So the upshot is that although we all know Gronk would prefer to play for the Bucs, he subtly opened the door to the possibility of playing for another team.

To be fair, why would Gronk want to lose any leverage at making money? The only leverage he has is Free Agency. That’s his only leverage so he won’t be low-balled. Sure, Brady’s got a huge sway on things, but Gronk also deserves that money. Gronk is a blocking and passing threat as well as be healthy for all 16 games plus the 4 playoffs games. Not even OJ Howard has played 20 consecutive games in his young career!

I still think Gronk stays because the front office should see the obvious chemistry Gronk has with Brady as well as the influence to alter the vertical passing offense to be a multi-dimensional passing offense with Gronk here.

• kegan

Participant

I think he sees people saying he’ll play for $5million instead of $10million. He wants the Bucs to know they better make a realistic offer or he will play for another team. $8-$10 is realistic. $7 would be a steal…no way $5 million

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.