Viewing 40 reply threads

• Author

• flashgordon

Participant

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/group-files-complaint-asking-clemson-separate-religion-from-football-191318852.html?bcmt=comments-postbox

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Someone please show me in the Constitution where it says “Separation of Church and State”…oh wait…it doesn’t.  Furthermore the Constitution specifies the rights of the citizens and what the federal government can do to its citizens.  The idea is that the government shall not establish a national religion (think Church of England).  Clemson is neither the federal government nor trying to establish a national religion through the efforts of its coach.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This kind of coercion goes on all the time on public funds and very few challenge it. Good for them!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Someone please show me in the Constitution where it says "Separation of Church and State"...oh wait...it doesn't.  Furthermore the Constitution specifies the rights of the citizens and what the federal government can do to its citizens.  The idea is that the government shall not establish a national religion (think Church of England).  Clemson is neither the federal government nor trying to establish a national religion through the efforts of its coach.

The first effing amendment. Go back to school. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ..."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Someone please show me in the Constitution where it says "Separation of Church and State"...oh wait...it doesn't.  Furthermore the Constitution specifies the rights of the citizens and what the federal government can do to its citizens.  The idea is that the government shall not establish a national religion (think Church of England).  Clemson is neither the federal government nor trying to establish a national religion through the efforts of its coach.

The first effing amendment. Go back to school. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ..."

He was pointing out a very common misconception that people have.  Many people use the words "separation of church and state" and attribute the quote to the Constitution, which is not correct.  I believe it can be attributed to Thomas Jefferson in a letter he penned, and not a governing document of any kind.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you are not a Christian and want to play Clemson football you should not have to endure the pushing of religion.Christians should keep their religion in their churches and in their homes. Some of us prefer not to be lied to and brainwashed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t mind praying and stuff when it comes to football.But distributing Bibles and Bible studies is over the top.It is a public university and they shouldn't be doing that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was pointing out a very common misconception that people have.  Many people use the words "separation of church and state" and attribute the quote to the Constitution, which is not correct.  I believe it can be attributed to Thomas Jefferson in a letter he penned, and not a governing document of any kind.

Good thing Lord quoted the amendment. It makes fklee’s point more clearly. especially the all important “free exercise thereof” part.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here are some of the details of the group’s complaint:• In 2011, coach William "Dabo" Swinney personally invited James Trapp to become team chaplain for the Tigers.That violates the Constitution and Clemson's own "misguided and legally dubious 'Guidelines For Athletic Team Chaplains,' ” Elliott noted. The guidelines say student groups select their choice for team chaplain and then request the coach's approval. No records were provided that show a student organization selected a chaplain.

How is it unconstitutional?  It may have violated school policy on how that position is filled, but congress made no laws which is the only thing addressed in the constitution.

• Trapp was regularly given access to the entire team in between drills for Bible study. The FFRF says that by granting Trapp such access, Swinney shows "preference for religion over nonreligion, alienates those players who don’t believe as he does, and creates a culture of religious coercion within the university's football program."

Wouldn't eliminating the position and forbiding the coaches from talking about religion show a preference for non religion? And alienate those who see spiritual guidance from authority figures in their lives. In many cases, these athletes are a long way from home. The coach replaces their parents, their pastors, and fill a crucial role in a young man's life as he transitions into adulthood.

• The chaplain has an office at the Jervey Athletic Center, displays Bible quotes on a whiteboard and organized and led sessions on “being baptized” in the athletic building, according to the FFRF.

Would they feel better if there was an empty office in the building to signify the presence of atheism?  Many of the schools in Florida and I assume other states are used on the weekends as churches. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you are not a Christian and want to play Clemson football you should not have to endure the pushing of religion.Christians should keep their religion in their churches and in their homes. Some of us prefer not to be lied to and brainwashed.

Blah...blah...midgets...blah...blah...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Might point out that the “separation of church and state” quote came out of a dissenting opinion about a case in which the Supreme Court ruled that it WAS constitutional for public funds to be used to transport students to Catholic School.  Moreover, might we point out that when the Constitution was written, there were two states that had official religion.  Massachusetts was an Episcopal State…I forget the other and though I cannot remember the other, it would be easy to look up…obviously a state having an official religion was not seen as unconstitutional.Isn't it funny how Muslims at school in California schools are allowed to pray five times a day officially and no one says a thing...let's be honest...it's an anti-Christian thing.By the way, please look back at that "Congress shall make no law regarding..."  that means it needs to stay out of these issues altogether.  After all, we broke away from England, where the government was persecuting people for not conforming to the faith they wanted.  The issue was protecting the church from the government and not the other way around.  This  is an issue for the state to deal with one way or the other.  And none of what I said is an opinion....these are historical facts that people who really want to know can look up.  And for those who do not care, then they really shouldn't be bringing the issues up anyway.Yes, it would be unconstitutional for the coaches or institution to force players to convert...but as long as the players are not punished for not joining in due to their own faith, it is perfectly within constitutional bounds.  

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Anybody here taken a look at the Jewish – Christian architecture in place all around the Supreme Court Building…this doesn’t mean that a judge has to be a Christian…but you need to be intellectually honest about our founding and history. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jefferson – responding to a request to have two religious events observed as national holidays:To messers Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson, a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.GentlemenThe affectionate sentiments of esteem & approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful & zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, and in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more & more pleasing.Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man & his god, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and state. . .  .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wouldn't eliminating the position and forbiding the coaches from talking about religion show a preference for non religion? And alienate those who see spiritual guidance from authority figures in their lives. In many cases, these athletes are a long way from home. The coach replaces their parents, their pastors, and fill a crucial role in a young man's life as he transitions into adulthood.

Nope. It would merely state that religion is not a necessary requirement to play football. There's lots of things you can't do on a football squad that make zero statements about preference. It's saying that religion is not a requirement to play football and if it isn't, then schools have no business requiring it as if it were. That is showing a preference. Having football programs concentrate on football shows preference to nothing but what football programs should do.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Isn't it funny how Muslims at school in California schools are allowed to pray five times a day officially and no one says a thing...let's be honest...it's an anti-Christian thing.

Not even close. Are the non Muslims forced to pray with them? Do they have a team Imam and have koran study sessions? Let's be honest, your analogy sucks. You so wish to play the victim while you force those who don't believe what you do to be involved in activities they don't feel comfortable participating in. And then you're the victim if they don't want to. Get back to me when you have a real example of forced participation in any religious ceremony in this country that is not based on Christianity and if you find it, guess what, I'll say it's wrong too. It's not an anti-Christian thing, it's not an anti-religious thing, it's an anti-asshole thing and making people pretend to believe what you want them to believe in order to participate in an unrelated game is an asshole thing no matter who does it. Period.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'd say this belongs on the Pirate's Cove, but what the heck- at least it isn't the 1,000th Manziel related thread....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Might point out that the "separation of church and state" quote came out of a dissenting opinion about a case in which the Supreme Court ruled that it WAS constitutional for public funds to be used to transport students to Catholic School.  Moreover, might we point out that when the Constitution was written, there were two states that had official religion.  Massachusetts was an Episcopal State...I forget the other and though I cannot remember the other, it would be easy to look up...obviously a state having an official religion was not seen as unconstitutional.Isn't it funny how Muslims at school in California schools are allowed to pray five times a day officially and no one says a thing...let's be honest...it's an anti-Christian thing.By the way, please look back at that "Congress shall make no law regarding..."  that means it needs to stay out of these issues altogether.  After all, we broke away from England, where the government was persecuting people for not conforming to the faith they wanted.  The issue was protecting the church from the government and not the other way around.  This  is an issue for the state to deal with one way or the other.  And none of what I said is an opinion....these are historical facts that people who really want to know can look up.  And for those who do not care, then they really shouldn't be bringing the issues up anyway.Yes, it would be unconstitutional for the coaches or institution to force players to convert...but as long as the players are not punished for not joining in due to their own faith, it is perfectly within constitutional bounds.

There are two parts to the freedom of religion in the First Amendment--the Free Exercise Clause and the Establishment Clause.  The latter not only prevents the establishment of a government sponsored religion, but it also prohibits any preference by the government for one religion of another (or all others). I think your post ignores quite a bit of Supreme Court precedent.  I also disagree that the First Amendment was to protect the church...they are civil liberties, i.e. restrictions on the government's ability to limit personal freedoms.  So the government can't prevent you from any exercise of any religion you choose.  Preservation of any individual religion has nothing to do with it.  It protects people, not churches.You also are using "historical facts" to support your interpretation--namely that state sponsored religion was not unconstitutional because some colonies/states had sponsored religions.  I am not going to research the issue, but I can guarantee they did not have them long after the 14th Amendment was enacted in 1868, which of course applied the Bill of Rights protections to state governments.  Prior to that, the Bill of Rights only restricted the Federal Government.  Another thing glossed over is that Jefferson and Madison, two prominent founding fathers and authors of the Constitution, were proponents of the "separation for church and state" concept, which was used way before the Everett opinion came out in 1947.  The facts in Everett were a little different too...the public funds reimbursed parents regardless of whether they went to parochial schools or not, and b/c the funds went to families, not the schools, there was no perceived endorsement of one particular religion over another.  I haven't read that case (or any relevant case on this issue)  since law school,have no inclination to go back and read them, and I don't particularly wish to get into a heated debate about it, but I also don't think there is any purpose in oversimplifying or mischaracterizing things.  Under current precedent, if a state institution, like a publicly funded university is promoting one religion over others, then they most likely have a constitution issue on their hands.  Forcing them to convert or punishment for not having a different faith are not the standard.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Isn't it funny how Muslims at school in California schools are allowed to pray five times a day officially and no one says a thing...let's be honest...it's an anti-Christian thing.

Not even close. Are the non Muslims forced to pray with them? Do they have a team Imam and have koran study sessions? Let's be honest, your analogy sucks. You so wish to play the victim while you force those who don't believe what you do to be involved in activities they don't feel comfortable participating in. And then you're the victim if they don't want to. Get back to me when you have a real example of forced participation in any religious ceremony in this country that is not based on Christianity and if you find it, guess what, I'll say it's wrong too. It's not an anti-Christian thing, it's not an anti-religious thing, it's an anti-**CENSORED** thing and making people pretend to believe what you want them to believe in order to participate in an unrelated game is an **CENSORED** thing no matter who does it. Period.

Living in Alabama, I and many of my friends have had to pretend to be Christian on more than one occasion. Depending on how often you leave the house it can be a daily thing.And one thing I really like about Jews? They don't go around trying to convert people. They don't think there's something "wrong" with you if you're irreligious. At least none that I've conversed with. Muslims and Christians on the other hand.. yeesh.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Might point out that the "separation of church and state" quote came out of a dissenting opinion about a case in which the Supreme Court ruled that it WAS constitutional for public funds to be used to transport students to Catholic School.  Moreover, might we point out that when the Constitution was written, there were two states that had official religion.  Massachusetts was an Episcopal State...I forget the other and though I cannot remember the other, it would be easy to look up...obviously a state having an official religion was not seen as unconstitutional.Isn't it funny how Muslims at school in California schools are allowed to pray five times a day officially and no one says a thing...let's be honest...it's an anti-Christian thing.By the way, please look back at that "Congress shall make no law regarding..."  that means it needs to stay out of these issues altogether.  After all, we broke away from England, where the government was persecuting people for not conforming to the faith they wanted.  The issue was protecting the church from the government and not the other way around.  This  is an issue for the state to deal with one way or the other.  And none of what I said is an opinion....these are historical facts that people who really want to know can look up.  And for those who do not care, then they really shouldn't be bringing the issues up anyway.Yes, it would be unconstitutional for the coaches or institution to force players to convert...but as long as the players are not punished for not joining in due to their own faith, it is perfectly within constitutional bounds.

There are two parts to the freedom of religion in the First Amendment--the Free Exercise Clause and the Establishment Clause.  The latter not only prevents the establishment of a government sponsored religion, but it also prohibits any preference by the government for one religion of another (or all others). I think your post ignores quite a bit of Supreme Court precedent.  I also disagree that the First Amendment was to protect the church...they are civil liberties, i.e. restrictions on the government's ability to limit personal freedoms.  So the government can't prevent you from any exercise of any religion you choose.  Preservation of any individual religion has nothing to do with it.  It protects people, not churches.You also are using "historical facts" to support your interpretation--namely that state sponsored religion was not unconstitutional because some colonies/states had sponsored religions.  I am not going to research the issue, but I can guarantee they did not have them long after the 14th Amendment was enacted in 1868, which of course applied the Bill of Rights protections to state governments.  Prior to that, the Bill of Rights only restricted the Federal Government.  Another thing glossed over is that Jefferson and Madison, two prominent founding fathers and authors of the Constitution, were proponents of the "separation for church and state" concept, which was used way before the Everett opinion came out in 1947.  The facts in Everett were a little different too...the public funds reimbursed parents regardless of whether they went to parochial schools or not, and b/c the funds went to families, not the schools, there was no perceived endorsement of one particular religion over another.  I haven't read that case (or any relevant case on this issue)  since law school,have no inclination to go back and read them, and I don't particularly wish to get into a heated debate about it, but I also don't think there is any purpose in oversimplifying or mischaracterizing things.  Under current precedent, if a state institution, like a publicly funded university is promoting one religion over others, then they most likely have a constitution issue on their hands.  Forcing them to convert or punishment for not having a different faith are not the standard.

good post

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“Would they feel better if there was an empty office in the building to signify the presence of atheism?”You stretched that one until it broke. Lots of empty offices in Detroit. Full of atheists?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As an atheist let me say, don’t care.First, the Freedom from Religion guys are epic level douchebags. I'm embarrassed most of the time they are on my side. Second, I don't care if Dabo organizes meetings and hands out bibles. As long as he doesn't make scholarship, playing time, depth chart decisions based on your responses to his overtures. His freedom of religion is to promote and speak to his faith and mine is to ignore that stupidity if I want and tell him he is wrong. Again, it is a "freedom of" religion not a "freedom from" religion in the first amendment.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As an atheist let me say, don't care.First, the Freedom from Religion guys are epic level **CENSORED**bags. I'm embarrassed most of the time they are on my side. Second, I don't care if Dabo organizes meetings and hands out bibles. As long as he doesn't make scholarship, playing time, depth chart decisions based on your responses to his overtures. His freedom of religion is to promote and speak to his faith and mine is to ignore that stupidity if I want and tell him he is wrong. Again, it is a "freedom of" religion not a "freedom from" religion in the first amendment.

This. Anyone has the right to talk about religion. I have the right to say that gobbledygook is retarded brainwash. Gerald McCoy has "magic eyes" because of Jesus? GTFO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"Would they feel better if there was an empty office in the building to signify the presence of atheism?"You stretched that one until it broke. Lots of empty offices in Detroit. Full of atheists?

I lol'd

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As an atheist let me say, don't care.First, the Freedom from Religion guys are epic level **CENSORED**bags. I'm embarrassed most of the time they are on my side. Second, I don't care if Dabo organizes meetings and hands out bibles. As long as he doesn't make scholarship, playing time, depth chart decisions based on your responses to his overtures. His freedom of religion is to promote and speak to his faith and mine is to ignore that stupidity if I want and tell him he is wrong. Again, it is a "freedom of" religion not a "freedom from" religion in the first amendment.

Damnnn.. Knocked that one out of the park

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sure he's free to talk about it all he wants outside of football (and school) time.  But if it's during practices and required meetings then it should be off limits.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Are these people even Christ followers? Jesus teaches his disciples not to pray in front of everyone, much less force others to do it.  Maybe they haven't gotten to that part of the Bible yet.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Free bibles and free meals…things are looking up for student-athletes!!Definitely Fab-5 material....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I really hope people who have problem with this also have a problem with instructors (state-employees) imposing their political views on students more than following a curriculum.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Would you care if public school teachers give out bibles to their students?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I see that for the most part, I haven’t had to add anything; I’m most struck by the absence of our PR guys.  But anyways, I had my dna read recently; not only am I 2.7 percent Neanderthal(lol!), but they say I’m related to Thomas Jefferson on the father side, and Petrarch on the mother’s side!  I’m sure that at least on the Jefferson side, it’s not a direct line.  It’s  more like a fork, where Jefferson is on one fork branch, and we’re on another which on some further distant point beyond us and Jefferson, we met somehow!One thing I can add is this whole Clemson thing shows that the Christians for one(and not the Muslims; Hindu/Buddhists/Atheists) spreading their religion through football is getting epidemic!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As long as they want to give up public funds, they can use all their coaching and classroom time talking religion. Somehow, I don't see that happening.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I really hope people who have problem with this also have a problem with instructors (state-employees) imposing their political views on students more than following a curriculum.

Ha ha ha, don't be stupid.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I've never had an instructor talk about their own personal politics unless we talked them into it. But yeah I wouldn't want teachers coercing my kids into voting a certain way, and I doubt that's ever really happened.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Would you care if public school teachers give out bibles to their students?

The media frenzy of a coach promoting Islam would be hilarious.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

can’t reason with people who refuse to listen.No, you cannot be forced to pray with others...and the armed forces do have Muslim and Hindu chaplains that may focus on those soldiers...the Christian ones cannot.  Seems that the only who is allowed to try to force others to conform to their beliefs...is you.  And it also seems to me that as soon as someone feels the need to type expletives, they've know they have lost the argument and cannot really back up what they are saying.Lord Bortles, you hit the nail on the head.  if playing time, scholarships, and the help these student athletes receive become based on faith, then there is a problem.  If not, so be it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Damn religious fanatics pressured my local government to close down our one and only topless beach here in Sarasota.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I suspect the intent is for all to be able to "bring" their religion with them - without government intervention.  Naturally one would have to have some sort of belief to avoid the feeling of being lied to or brainwashed.  That type of belief could just as easily be atheism if that is one's selection.... jmvho

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not even close. Are the non Muslims forced to pray with them? Do they have a team Imam and have koran study sessions? Let's be honest, your analogy sucks. You so wish to play the victim while you force those who don't believe what you do to be involved in activities they don't feel comfortable participating in. And then you're the victim if they don't want to. Get back to me when you have a real example of forced participation in any religious ceremony in this country that is not based on Christianity and if you find it, guess what, I'll say it's wrong too. It's not an anti-Christian thing, it's not an anti-religious thing, it's an anti-**CENSORED** thing and making people pretend to believe what you want them to believe in order to participate in an unrelated game is an **CENSORED** thing no matter who does it. Period.

Well said. It would interesting to see how a team from the bible belt would respond if their coach decided to bring in a muslim for the day's prayer..."Let us bow our heads in Allah's name..."Huh?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This world would be such a better place if all the idiots who are “praising the father in the heavens” would instead start to take care of their mother. Mother Earth. Always remember that when mama aint happy aint nobody gonna be happy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good one Lord...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I suspect the intent is for all to be able to "bring" their religion with them - without government intervention.  Naturally one would have to have some sort of belief to avoid the feeling of being lied to or brainwashed.  That type of belief could just as easily be atheism if that is one's selection.... jmvho

Well said dbuc.

Please wait…

Viewing 40 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.