Viewing 51 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Bell: Savvy teams may pick from second tier of quarterbacks Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY Sports 1:12AM EDT    April 11, 2014savvy_zps0a3b444f.jpg(Photo: Daniel Shirey, USA TODAY Sports)Take your pick. Johnny Manziel. Teddy Bridgewater. Blake Bortles.Or none of the above.For all off the buzz and varying opinions about the three top-rated quarterbacks in the upcoming NFL draft — all widely projected to be selected in the first round — the best value mighty come after the Day 1 picks.How second-tier quarterbacks such as Fresno State's Derek Carr, Eastern Illinois' Jimmy Garoppolo and LSU's Zach Mettenberger come off the board might be just as important.It's no wonder that ESPN analyst Jon Gruden gushed on-air Thursday about Georgia's Aaron Murray."He'll be the steal of the draft for somebody," Gruden exclaimed.If Murray, like Mettenberger coming off a torn ACL, isn't the steal then perhaps it will be Alabama's AJ McCarron or Pittsburgh's Tom Savage."Of the entire class, maybe three of them will develop into solid NFL quarterbacks," ESPN analyst Todd McShay told USA TODAY Sports. "But it doesn't always work out that the best are the first three."Six of the teams positioned in the top eight slots of the draft are in the mix to select a quarterback — Houston, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Oakland, Minnesota and even Tampa Bay.Yet with the overall talent pool considered the deepest in years, it might be wiser to land a safer, more promising player at another position before choosing a hit-or-miss signal-caller in the second round or beyond.Whether the quarterback run begins early or late in the first round will provide an intriguing subplot to this year's draft.The Browns are best-positioned with multiple first-round picks (fourth, 26th).The temptation will be to pull the trigger on a quarterback with the fourth pick. McShay has Cleveland selecting Central Florida's Bortles — conveniently compared to Ohio native Ben Roethlisberger because of his size and arm strength.Bridgewater, meanwhile, entered the draft process deemed as the most NFL-ready quarterback in the crop. A less-than-impressive pro day seemingly affected his stock more than normal — if the rankings by analysts reflect the opinions of the teams.McShay says Bridgewater, the Louisville product, "is still the most consistent," which must count for something — even amid concerns about his slight frame.Manziel is the undeniable wild card. There are so many questions about whether his scrambling style will translate to the NFL. But it would be a stunner if he lasted past the halfway mark of the first round considering his exciting upside.Roger Staubach, the Dallas Cowboys icon, told the NFL Network this week that if he were in the position of the Houston Texans and picking No. 1 overall, he would select Manziel over Jadeveon Clowney.Staubach likened Manziel, slightly shorter than 6-0, to Super Bowl champion Russell Wilson.Which reminds us. The Seattle Seahawks drafted Wilson in the third round in 2012, after five other quarterbacks had already been taken.Nick Foles, who lit up the league last season in Chip Kelly's offense with the Eagles, was nabbed by Philadelphia 13 picks after Wilson.In 2011 — the year Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder joined No. 1 pick Cam Newton in the first round — Cincinnati landed Andy Dalton and San Francisco grabbed Colin Kaepernick with second-round picks. Locker, Gabbert and Ponder have a combined 27 regular-season victories. Dalton and Kaepernick, meanwhile, have 47 combined and are already playoff regulars.This is an era when young quarterbacks can get on the field quickly — and the draft status matters only so much.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gruden is an awesome coach.  Best in Bucs history for sure.  But he can’t judge talent for shit.  He’s so bad at drafting that he shouldn’t even be commenting on the draft.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gruden is an awesome coach.  Best in Bucs history for sure.  But he can't judge talent for **CENSORED**.  He's so bad at drafting that he shouldn't even be commenting on the draft.

I'm not sure Gru ever had his choices in the draft. There's the old rumor that he when Rodgers fell he wanted him but Allen was all in on Cadillac.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gruden is an awesome coach.  Best in Bucs history for sure.  But he can't judge talent for **CENSORED**.  He's so bad at drafting that he shouldn't even be commenting on the draft.

I'm not sure Gru ever had his choices in the draft. There's the old rumor that he when Rodgers fell he wanted him but Allen was all in on Cadillac.

Isn't the rumor also that Gruden wanted nothing to do with drafting Simms?I think Gruden gets a bad rap for some of those drafts, when I'm not so sure he had his voice valued as much as people blame him for.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Oh come on everyone knows Gruden fell in love with Cadillac at the Senior Bowl. That wasn't Allen's pick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gruden = Overrated.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Allen was Gruden’s puppet. Not buying it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Allen was Gruden's puppet. Not buying it.

Is Allen still Gruden's puppet now that he's working for the Redskins?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Allen was Gruden's puppet. Not buying it.

Is Allen still Gruden's puppet now that he's working for the Redskins?

With Fat Gruden, the roles are reversed.  That whole thing is going to be a train wreck.  Can't wait to watch it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You’ve been watching a train wreck the last 5 years here in Tampa. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You've been watching a train wreck the last 5 years here in Tampa.

Yeah, but I actually like Tampa, so I have found zero joy in it.  I hate the Redskins.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Even as a Buc fan, I enjoyed the last 5 years.  It exposed the Gruden haters as complete fools.  (as if it wasn’t obvious that they were fools from day one)Let's hope the team can now become an NFL team again.  5 wasted years....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All it exposed is, our owners like to throw shit at the wall, and that they have very little football knowledge.  When you were born a Smith, it’s really hard to become a Jones.  I really wish our owners knew a little bit about football on this side of the pond.  I really hope Lovie and Licht can get this going in the right direction quickly.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No, it completely exposed the Gruden haters as fools without a doubt.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No, it really just exposed our ownership and their lack of understanding of the game. Gruden haters were justified when he had a losing record as a head coach post 2002 in Tampa, while he was in charge of everything.  Charlie Garner anybody???

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lol, so let’s see . . . John Gruden is hand-picked by the owners to come to Tampa and deliver a Super Bowl at the cost of several premium picks and millions of dollars . He does exactly that . . in stunning fashion . . in part by revamping the offense and by bringing in players . . .  shortly after that McKay (the GM when Gruden arrived) is gone and the replacement is Gruden’s guy Allen . . .  . . . with those facts being beyond dispute, we are supposed to believe that Gruden answered to Allen such that Gruden has no culpability for awful drafts under his watch?Remind me again, how many picks and how many millions did the Owners give up to bring Allen here?  What did Allen have to do with the Super Bowl?(wow)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No, it really just exposed our ownership and their lack of understanding of the game. Gruden haters were justified when he had a losing record as a head coach post 2002 in Tampa, while he was in charge of everything.  Charlie Garner anybody???

I don't remember you from the past.  But you are obviously the dumbest poster on this forum currently.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't remember you from the past.  But you are obviously the dumbest poster on this forum currently.

You dont have much history on here, or with the Bucs for that matter but I would put my football intelligence against yours any day.  You obviously have the man size of a gerbil and are trying to make up for it by being a Gruden fanboy.  Welcome to the board by the way.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lol, so let's see . . . John Gruden is hand-picked by the owners to come to Tampa and deliver a Super Bowl at the cost of several premium picks and millions of dollars . He does exactly that . . in stunning fashion . . in part by revamping the offense and by bringing in players . . .  shortly after that McKay (the GM when Gruden arrived) is gone and the replacement is Gruden's guy Allen . . .  . . . with those facts being beyond dispute, we are supposed to believe that Gruden answered to Allen such that Gruden has no culpability for awful drafts under his watch?Remind me again, how many picks and how many millions did the Owners give up to bring Allen here?  What did Allen have to do with the Super Bowl?(wow)

Ever been to a barber shop and there's a few old guys sitting over in the corner, talking loudly, but no one else is really paying attention to them?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lol, so let's see . . . John Gruden is hand-picked by the owners to come to Tampa and deliver a Super Bowl at the cost of several premium picks and millions of dollars . He does exactly that . . in stunning fashion . . in part by revamping the offense and by bringing in players . . .  shortly after that McKay (the GM when Gruden arrived) is gone and the replacement is Gruden's guy Allen . . .  . . . with those facts being beyond dispute, we are supposed to believe that Gruden answered to Allen such that Gruden has no culpability for awful drafts under his watch?Remind me again, how many picks and how many millions did the Owners give up to bring Allen here?  What did Allen have to do with the Super Bowl?(wow)

Ever been to a barber shop and there's a few old guys sitting over in the corner, talking loudly, but no one else is really paying attention to them?

lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You dont have much history on here .. .  Welcome to the board by the way.

lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I got a chuckle out of that one, man.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL!  Perfect analysis of Vin.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Thanks for the welcome.  It's tough being the new guy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL!  Perfect analysis of Vin.

Java does not like Vin.  I cannot tell you how relieved I am.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Thanks for the welcome.  It's tough being the new guy. . . . again . . .  and again . .  and again . . . and again . . .  and again . . .  and again . . . and again . . . and again . . .and . . .

edit for truth:-)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Java does not like Vin.

That's the one thing Java has in common with the rest of the board.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Java does not like Vin.

That's the one thing Java has in common with the rest of the board.

may be true, but as long as you dislike me I feel better.  ThanksBy the way, did you notice that you commented about me based on a pst by someone else .  . your dislike is strong . . .whew.Now, back to Gruden before you get kicked out again and have to come back as "Simple Simon."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That would have just been a stupid rumor started by Grudenites or some irrelevant local media guy. Knowing Gruden and his ego, he would have never let anyone overrule his decision. Wasn't that the reason we parted ways with McKay and brought in Allen to be Gruden's "Yes Man"?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

lol. He’s the next Bruce Gradkowski.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Even as a Buc fan, I enjoyed the last 5 years.  It exposed the Gruden haters as complete fools.  (as if it wasn't obvious that they were fools from day one)Let's hope the team can now become an NFL team again.  5 wasted years....

You enjoyed your team's losing to "expose" other people on an internet message - most of whom you've never met in person - what fools they are.That it? Might want to check on that definition of a fool....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Even as a Buc fan, I enjoyed the last 5 years.  It exposed the Gruden haters as complete fools.  (as if it wasn't obvious that they were fools from day one)Let's hope the team can now become an NFL team again.  5 wasted years....

You enjoyed your team's losing to "expose" other people on an internet message - most of whom you've never met in person - what fools they are.That it? Might want to check on that definition of a fool....

Not just an internet message forum, but many Buc fans in general, Steve Duimig, the Glazers, etc.  Firing Gruden was ignorant.    The team has suffered enough for that pathetic move.My pure enjoyment from watching them lose came from knowing that the more they lost, the sooner they would get rid of the losers like Freeman, Raheem and Schiano so that the team could compete again.The fools were the ones supporting those guys.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gruden the man. I like him on tv.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not just an internet message forum, but many Buc fans in general, Steve Duimig, the Glazers, etc.  Firing Gruden was ignorant.    The team has suffered enough for that pathetic move.My pure enjoyment from watching them lose came from knowing that the more they lost, the sooner they would get rid of the losers like Freeman, Raheem and Schiano so that the team could compete again.The fools were the ones supporting those guys.

Well you sure showed everyone how smart you are. Go you.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

True that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You like us to believe that a Superbowl winning coach wouldn't be allowed to pick a QB for a franchise that has been looking for one since birth? I ain't buying that nonsense!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You've been watching a train wreck the last 5 years here in Tampa.

The train wreck has been more than 5 years in the making!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LMAO....now THIS should be good!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This season will be 12 years and counting in fact.

Please wait…

• BConnell88

Participant

Yup, I remember that man. Gruden wasn't allowed to take AROD. Such a shame, Gruden begged Allen to let him draft him but nope. Such a shame.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

SMH

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

QFT

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sarcasm?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I find it comical that Gruden is touting any rookie QB as the steal of the Draft. He might have been a decent HC once upon a time but he’s NEVER once developed a rookie QB in his life. He’s always preferred a veteran ready made/proven QB to run his offenses. Take what Gruden says with a grain of salt IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

QFT

Quoted to save face.  Gruden hated Rogers from a talent stand point. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I love Gruden for getting us over the hump and for his tv personality. I do not miss his days as coach. I was getting weary of having a team full of washed up stars like Tim Brown and Charlie Garner. For being a “QB guru” the guy just couldn’t ever get it right.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Defense has to be the focus of any successful long term franchise.  A Peyton manning or Tom Brady QB aside, its the only way to have long term success. When we migrated away from that and tried to put the focus on one of a myriad of QBs, despite occasional solid offensive coaching, we were doomed and so was Gruden.  He could never get out of his own way.  I love having a proven Defensive mind as our head coach, we are going to be competitive from day one and eventually should find our offensive footing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yup, I remember that man. Gruden wasn't allowed to take AROD. Such a shame, Gruden begged Allen to let him draft him but nope. Such a shame.

troll convention?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

troll convention?

Looks like someone fed them after midnight.

Please wait…

• Marcia

Participant

How many coaches ago was Gruden.  Move on people!  He was as horrid a personnel guy as there ever was. 

Please wait…

• BConnell88

Participant

I hated that super bowl ring and all the division championships we won under him. Sucks!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I hated that super bowl ring and all the division championships we won under him. Sucks!!!

Yeah.  I loved winning the South after 2002 only to get stomped because we let players go that we shouldn't have or because Charlie Garner and Russell Maryland were our saviors.  You make like "competing" like some chick at a beauty pageant but I want to win the whole fucking thing..........multiple times. 

Please wait…

Viewing 51 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.