Viewing 23 reply threads

• Author

• blah

Participant

By Ira Kaufman | Tribune StaffPublished: October 1, 2015  |  Updated: October 1, 2015 at 02:13 PMTAMPA — Hillsborough County Commissioner Ken Hagan blasted the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Thursday for “changing the parameters’’ of a stalled agreement plan for renovations at Raymond James Stadium.A potential $100 million renovation project for the stadium appears close to fruition except for three sticking points, including a request by the Bucs for the right to play two regular-season home games elsewhere every season beginning in 2018.The team’s current agreement with the Tampa Sports Authority (TSA) runs until 2028, and chief operating officer Brian Ford has been trying to negotiate a stadium renovation agreement since January.“I love the Bucs, but it’s night and day negotiating with them as opposed to dealing with the Lightning,’’ said Hagan, also a TSA board member. ”I know what’s going on — they keep changing the parameters. Something will get done, but we’re trying to figure out their real motivation.’’The current lease requires the authority to fund approximately $26 million for capital repairs and updates for the stadium, which opened in 1998 and also serves as the football home for the University of South Florida.The stadium also will host the college football national championship game in January 2017.Under the club’s proposal, which includes significant enhancements to the authority’s original plans, the Bucs would be responsible for making a private investment that could approach $75 million.“We’re contractually obligated to the $26 million in upgrades and we have to get that done in time to host the college football national championship,’’ Hagan said. “We’re on track to proceed with that. I can’t talk enough about the difference between dealing with the Bucs and (Lightning owner) Jeff Vinik. That guy walks on water. He’s the real deal.’’Ford, the team’s COO, declined to comment Thursday. In a statement issued late Wednesday, Ford addressed the negotiations:“During our conversations, many ideas have been discussed in an effort to continue growing our fan base in Tampa and securing large events such as the Super Bowl to our community. We look forward to concluding these discussions and announcing the exciting projects that are on the horizon in the very near future.’’The Bucs agreed to a request to waive the balance of the practice facility fund, foregoing an $11.6 million obligation by the authority, and proposed the profit split threshold for events at the stadium besides Bucs games be reduced from $2 million to $1.5 million.The sports authority has countered by asking for a reduction in the threshold to $1 million.The two sides disagree on a club request to have the option of moving an additional regular-season game to an international site or within the state of Florida, beginning in 2018.Under the current agreement, the Bucs are allowed to play one regular-season home game each year outside of Raymond James Stadium. Tampa Bay twice played in the NFL International Series, against the New England Patriots in 2009 and the Chicago Bears in 2011 at Wembley Stadium in London.In a response to the team on Sept. 22, the authority said the right to play a second home game each season outside of the Bay area should be contingent upon Tampa being awarded a Super Bowl during the remaining term of the agreement, or a written agreement by Premier League soccer club Manchester United to play a match at the stadium.The Glazer family, which has owned the Bucs since 1995, purchased Manchester United in 2005.“They own Manchester United — why can’t we get a game here?” Hagan said. “There’s a reason why the Glazers are disliked internationally. It’s frustrating. They said the request for a second home game elsewhere was an insurance policy.”The TSA, Hagan said, wanted to tie that request to an attendance threshold, a specific number, and if attendance fell below that number the request for a second away game would be granted.“They said no,” Hagan said. “Winning cures everything, historically, and this market has reflected that. If the Bucs win, people will return in droves.’’ikaufman@tampatrib.comTwitter: @IKaufmanTBO

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

An “insurance policy?”How the hell does playing two "home" games elsewhere have to do with insuring anything?Jesus christ, glazers, just sell the team already. Its completely clear you view it as a business matter, not as something personal you deeply care about. Its clear that you guys have used league revenue to help accommodate the purchase of man U.Your milking days are nearing an end, and your business model succeeded. Maybe its time you do the right thing for once and move on to greener pastures? People are knowledgeable about your money being first model. They know, without ownership that is an actual fan of the team they own, they have only little hope that their choices end up working, eventually. There is very little drive if players, staff, and fans cannot see the big cheeses supporting their team. In layman's terms, the cat's away, and the mice have been playing. All over the f$$king place.And i'm fairly certin they're coming out of eds butt.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

”I know what’s going on — they keep changing the parameters. Something will get done, but we’re trying to figure out their real motivation.’’Unfortunately, the motivation is playing fewer games that matter in your town Ken.......

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

An "insurance policy?"How the hell does playing two "home" games elsewhere have to do with insuring anything?Jesus christ, glazers, just sell the team already. Its completely clear you view it as a business matter, not as something personal you deeply care about. Its clear that you guys have used league revenue to help accommodate the purchase of man U.Your milking days are nearing an end, and your business model succeeded. Maybe its time you do the right thing for once and move on to greener pastures? People are knowledgeable about your money being first model. They know, without ownership that is an actual fan of the team they own, they have only little hope that their choices end up working, eventually. There is very little drive if players, staff, and fans cannot see the big cheeses supporting their team. In layman's terms, the cat's away, and the mice have been playing. All over the f$$king place.And i'm fairly certin they're coming out of eds butt.

It insures that the Glazers will have more money in their pockets!  Games in London are almost always sellouts.  They will trade 2 half empty games at Ray Jay for 2 sellouts in a heartbeat.  And they think the fans are too stupid to figure that out or they just don't care what the fans think. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

An "insurance policy?"How the hell does playing two "home" games elsewhere have to do with insuring anything?Jesus christ, glazers, just sell the team already. Its completely clear you view it as a business matter, not as something personal you deeply care about. Its clear that you guys have used league revenue to help accommodate the purchase of man U.Your milking days are nearing an end, and your business model succeeded. Maybe its time you do the right thing for once and move on to greener pastures? People are knowledgeable about your money being first model. They know, without ownership that is an actual fan of the team they own, they have only little hope that their choices end up working, eventually. There is very little drive if players, staff, and fans cannot see the big cheeses supporting their team. In layman's terms, the cat's away, and the mice have been playing. All over the f$$king place.And i'm fairly certin they're coming out of eds butt.

It insures that the Glazers will have more money in their pockets!  Games in London are almost always sellouts.  They will trade 2 half empty games at Ray Jay for 2 sellouts in a heartbeat.  And they think the fans are too stupid to figure that out or they just don't care what the fans think.

When was the last time we had a half empty stadium? Last year the Bucs had a 90%+ attendance. It looks half empty due to the design of the stadium, look at the pirate ship / endzone area everyone with 300 level nosebleeds show up there. Plus fans find a way to get in the club ac section, then when games get out of hand, fans leave at half time. TSA said we will allow 2 games a year if attendance doesn't reach the mark, but the Glazers denied it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Game in London was when I just couldn’t take their BS anymore.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Glazers make it hard to be a fan

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

rxe0p.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They've killed my interest in the team TBH. Use to sub to PR every year -- now this is only the third time in 2015 I've visited the board. They don't care. They so obviously don't care that it seems utterly absurd for me to care. For me to pump money into the team they mistreat and abuse is maniacal. Disgraceful owners ... can't wait for them to sell so I can love this team again.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They've killed my interest in the team TBH. Use to sub to PR every year -- now this is only the third time in 2015 I've visited the board. They don't care. They so obviously don't care that it seems utterly absurd for me to care. For me to pump money into the team they mistreat and abuse is maniacal. Disgraceful owners ... can't wait for them to sell so I can love this team again.

I could go a year or two without hometown football.I mean, thats ONLY like 0 good home games anyway...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

its really sad how much the Glazers crap on the few fans this team has

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What a RUDE and freaking RIP OFF this is! Season ticket holders who have been loyal for years, even DECADES are not only having to pay for two preseason PRACTICE games at full price, but are not being told they’ll be shorted two games a year, REGULAR SEASON GAMES, in the near future! I’m bending over looking for the soap Royal Glazerbaum’s, have at it!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

its really sad how much the Glazers crap on the few fans this team has

Yup.And they only spent the windfall of fa, because the new CBA told they HAD to.Have refused to use their own money, just about anywhere on the team. Indoor practice facility anyone? Scoreboard? Anything? ..oh yeah, they "bombed" the MRSA lockerroom.Welcomes opposing teams fans more than any other team.Doesnt show up for their own team, unless they win something big.Didnt have money to spend on filling cap(millions), but had BILLIONS to buy out man U.Sued fans, who just wanted to watch the game, or were using it as a marketing ploy at a bar. Sue ticketholders.What's not to like?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Losing another homegame? Tampa was already pretty low on my list of places to move.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Glazers are absentee owners and their dad was a slum lord.  They are scumbags.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Glazers are absentee owners and their dad was a slum lord.  They are scumbags.

They love them some footy.c4s_newowners052914_13195781_8col.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They love them some footy.c4s_newowners052914_13195781_8col.jpg

Too bad they like money over any sport.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think they are trying to piss off season ticket holders- causing them to cancel– which in turn makes the number$ look bad— which allows the Glaciers to relocate to a “better” fanbase.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think they are trying to piss off season ticket holders- causing them to cancel-- which in turn makes the number$ look bad--- which allows the Glaciers to relocate to a "better" fanbase.

Goodbye freeloaders?Seriously, someone else will fill that stadium. We dont have a football team there playing currently anyway.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good lord you're an idiot. Malcolm Glazer wasn't a "slumlord."  One of his companies managed trailer parks,  but he also owned television stations, commercial real estate, restaurants, nursing homes ... And more

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Man U played 8 exhibition games at RJS they would ALL sell out in about 30 minutes , and I would buy a ticket to that.  Sorry guys but Man U is the KING and that is their  HONEY POT!!!!  Go GLazers

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good lord you're an idiot. Malcolm Glazer wasn't a "slumlord."  One of his companies managed trailer parks,  but he also owned television stations, commercial real estate, restaurants, nursing homes ... And more

"Thereafter, the tale has less charm. Glazer's 60-year business career, incorporating property, fish, fast food restaurants, local television stations and nursing homes, has been punctuated with minor court cases. Some are bizarre, even by the standards of America's litigation-happy culture. Soon after the Tampa Bay takeover, residents on a trailer park accused Glazer's holding company of illegally charging an extra $5 a month for keeping a pet and $3 for each resident beyond the first two. Glazer eventually dropped the fees, but not before incurring acres of bad publicity and was dubbed the "slumlord".AdvertisementThe strangest of the legal cases is the one involving his mother's estate, originally worth $1m. Glazer's dispute with four of his older sisters dragged on for more than a decade in the civil courts. "I don't think they were very happy that mother got a new Cadillac every year and they had to use an old car," he told the Baltimore Sun in 1992."Kiss my ass.  You can read all about the family.  They're scumbags...still.  Do me a favor and at least take their jock out of your mouth before speaking.  I don't understand you while you're mumbling.  Thanks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"Thereafter, the tale has less charm. Glazer's 60-year business career, incorporating property, fish, fast food restaurants, local television stations and nursing homes, has been punctuated with minor court cases. Some are bizarre, even by the standards of America's litigation-happy culture. Soon after the Tampa Bay takeover, residents on a trailer park accused Glazer's holding company of illegally charging an extra $5 a month for keeping a pet and $3 for each resident beyond the first two. Glazer eventually dropped the fees, but not before incurring acres of bad publicity and was dubbed the "slumlord".

How is that illegal?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Charging the fees for pets and additional residents actually was illegal.  Which is why his company was forced to stop the practice after a court battle.But isn't that kind of the definition of a "slum lord"?  Property owner who does as little (less when they can get away with it) as is legally required for the occupants of said property? Lawyer Paul Marasco, who represented Glazer's tenants in a successful lawsuit against Glazer, said: "He was charging tenants extra for having pets and even having babies. It was all against the law but he still fought it every inch of the way. We thought what he was doing was wrong so took him on and the courts vindicated our fight. I'm glad we won and a lot of people got some money back."

Please wait…

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.